GBi on Twitch

fledeye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I can see why GB infinite has switched to Twitch this evening, I watched it go down during Rabbids this morning. However Twitch cannot be the best solution can it?

So many people in chat are complaining it doesn’t work.

For me, I only have an Apple device to watch things on and Twitch is one of the websites (like GB) that Apple devices don’t like. There is constant buffering, skipping, repeating the last 5 seconds over and over again etc. And if I use the Twitch app rather than the imbedded player, I get ads as well as a non-functional stream.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Twitch always causes problems for me mostly buffering ones. I hope it's not their final solution.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#3 fisk0  Moderator

Yeah, also hope they find another solution, if you have autoplaying videos disabled in Firefox, Twitch doesn't work at all.

I suppose it's possible Chrome now disabling that by default too (possible with the same result to Chrome users?) may force Twitch to change how it works, but I'd rather have a different solution, since I've always had problems off and on with Twitch.

Mixer seems to work fine.

Thrawn2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The issues with the Twitch player are unfortunate but the only ways I can think for them to eliminate the content ID problems altogether are probably expensive either in infrastructure cost or Will's time.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MrKlorox

I realize this is currently a stopgap solution. But in the mean time, is it possible to add more resolution options than 720p? My poor rural internet can only keep up with 480p at best, and usually only up to 360p.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

You have to be a partnered channel on Twitch in order to have quality options at all, and the channel they are using for GBi right now isn't one. I'm not sure what the solution might be there.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Twitch player embed just sucks in general, no full screen option or fill browser option unless you go to their site. I haven't checked it out in a while what happened exactly? Too much bandwidth on the servers?

Rayeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

@oursin_360:

One assumes they kept getting Content ID hits on their youtube channel because youtube sucks like that and so their channel got shutdown or was eventually going to be shutdown.

Twitch has more lenient policies and probably less uptime issues, but their player is total ass and twitch is blocked at a lot of offices and schools (NOT THAT PEOPLE WOULD BE DOING THAT RIGHT?)

kmg90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By kmg90
Lucidquasar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The video is just black for me. Trying to watch on the famous LG Oled b6

Rodn3y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mike: Not really, Twitch allocates transcoding resource based on availability/viewers. A non-partnered stream, while not guranteed, will get transcodes if it consistently has some amount of viewers (~3 a couple months ago seemed to be where most streamers had transcodes). Given that the channel is still fairly new it might take a bit for it to be eligible. But the amount of viewers is definetly sufficient.

Maybe a restart will be enough, or perhaps it will receive them after the 48 hour cutoff where twitch kind of "soft restarts" the stream.

Pitt_Rivers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Pitt_Rivers

Yeah, this move has made it unwatchable for me. Buffers approximately every 10 secs for at least 10 secs more. Twitch has always been crap in my location, and I've used it on three different ISPs with up to 100mbit connections. The youtube version worked great! Hope they can find an alternative, because I loved watching GBi.

fledeye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hope they can find an alternative, because I loved watching GBi.

Me too. I’m really missing it today. Home alone re-fletching some arrows, thought “I know I’ll put GBI on in the background“ and then remembered I couldnt.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#14  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

I haven't had many problems with Twitch recently, but I have definitely have gone through periods where it was totally unwatchable. Twitch seems extremely susceptible to DNS and routing issues. You can try switching to a different DNS or flushing your DNS cache, but there's no guarantee that will make things better.

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I am amazed to see Twich doesn't have their shit together, isn't streaming games their...their thing? I don't watch any Twitch, youtube was always much better for my location as well. Last time I opened GBi was right when it webt down, got an youtube blank player and haven't had time to check since, I hope it's not borked! Anyway, I believe GB staff (Will) is on the case and will deal with these issues eventually.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MrKlorox

@mrklorox said:

I realize this is currently a stopgap solution. But in the mean time, is it possible to add more resolution options than 720p? My poor rural internet can only keep up with 480p at best, and usually only up to 360p.

@mike said:

You have to be a partnered channel on Twitch in order to have quality options at all, and the channel they are using for GBi right now isn't one. I'm not sure what the solution might be there.

Apparently this was solved because there are now many quality options. All my personal peeves with GBI on Twitch are now nil.

blabbermouth64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I don't really care about the resolution and stuff, but my biggest issue is that every time I've gone to GBI now I've gotten an ad as a premium member. I appreciate that they don't put ads on their youtube videos in order to make sure premium members don't see ads. So, I find it odd that they switched to something that would show premium members ads.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Twitch has been perfectly stable for me for the last 4-ish years on Firefox. But if it's giving you a lot of problems, try to google alternative player for twitchtv. It might solve your issues.

octaslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrklorox: Quality options will disappear during peak hours if you’re not watching a big streamer.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By OurSin_360

@rayeth: yeah i believe content id is strictly for youtube, and it indeed sucks because if you make royalty free music you have to register it or nothing stops somebody else from doing it(no requirement to prove rights). Which then means they have to whitelist everyone who buys a copy. And i guess having so much random content it would be impossible to get every artist to whitelist it.

fledeye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onemanarmyy:

Over the years, I have tried everything I can. Twitch just doesn’t work. Even if I can get it to show a stream, it will be low quality, skip, repeat and then just show a black screen after about 20 minutes.

But most of the time, it’s just a black screen.

I’m not sure what the answer is, but I’m kind of sick of having to jump through hoops to watch GB videos that aren’t on YouTube which means I’m not really making the most of premium and I’m almost certainly not going to renew when the time comes.

Jennifyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wish they were using Mixer its so much sharper than Twitch.