Live streaming freezing or skipping back in Apple TV app

• 66 results
soupbones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 14

For about a couple of weeks now, i’ve noticed that live streams have been freezing or jump back a few seconds every minute or so. It seems to only happen during live streams, and only in the apple tv app. I don't believe it’s an issue with my network, as it ONLY happens with live stream on the GB app.

Browsers work fine (on same wifi connection as Apple TV)

Other Apple TV apps like Twitch and Youtube work fine (live streams)

It happens with ALL giant bomb live stream shows, but never prerecorded stuff.

It’s pretty often also - it will either freeze or skip back about every minute, consistently.

Send help plz.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f53b967120d3
deactivated-5f53b967120d3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Same here. I thought it might be because I'm on the TVOS beta.

It seems to happen when trying to Airplay from the the iOS app to an AppleTV as well

shades846

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Yes I have the same issue watching live stream on iPad using safari it seems to buffer then skip back five seconds or so.

neodyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Happening on my ATV4k in the GB app as well and makes streams nearly unwatchable. It’s so frequent that after an hour of the Burgle stream I’m eight minutes behind live.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I noticed similar behaviour today in Safari 12.1.2 on Mac OS 10.14.6. It was fine in Chrome. My guess is that whatever GB's using to encode their HLS streams isn't playing well with AVFoundation for some reason.

kzeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had the same issue today when watching on my ipad. None of my other devices seem to do it.

neodyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

An addendum to my previous post: since whatever changed to cause this hitching I can no longer go to earlier in the stream on ATV (in app) or iPad (in safari). The browser/os’s built in skip forward and back also stopped working on both platforms.

smilebomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By smilebomb

Yeah, I get frequent hitching and rewinding while watching live shows on iOS. I previously had this issue and it was fixed by lowering the quality, but that’s not working this time.

Hampe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Yeah, having this problem on all my Apple devices. Both my iPhone X, my AppleTV and my MacBook Pro.

saygrrr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've had this for a few weeks too watching live shows on my Apple TV 4k.

jbomb_wow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm also having this issue on my MacBook when using Safari. Works fine in Chrome.

GongZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am experiencing a similar issue watching live streams through Chrome on an iPhone 8 with current updates.

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By Quid_Pro_Bono

Same problem here on my MacBook Pro, iPhone XS Max, and iPad when using Safari, and the AppleTV app. Google Chrome and Firefox don't give me these hitching and rollback problems on the same devices.

bemusedchunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'm also having this problem on my Apple TV.

Always live streams will "rubber-band" and go back about 5 seconds but then be fine for the next...30-60 i'd say.

I've tried resetting my Apple TV but this doesn't do the trick. At first this always happened on west coast streams but now its happening on east coast streams as well.

My iphone can play the livestream without any issues but when I try and airplay it to the Apple TV, the rubber banding happens. Pretty sure something is going on with the Apple TV and how livestreams are being broadcast, but I'm no networking expert...

SteveVice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Yeah, this is happening to me as well, on Apple TV, on the iMac, on my iPhone.
The only streams I´m able to watch are the ones they do on Twitch/Youtube.

Sometimes on the Apple TV it will actually jump back to the very start of the stream. Have to scrub my way all the way to the live version again, and then it jumps back to the start of the stream after some minutes.

Giantbomb livestreams are completely unwatchable at the moment. Seriously wish they could find a way to use Youtube or Twitch to livestream and still have it be premium, because whatever janky service they use its not up for the job.

And seing how many replies this thread has, and still no response I guess its not much of a priority.
kinda makes me think about cancelling premium.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just to add, as well as this problem still occurring my Apple TV is choking on the vod of last nights UPF. Keeps stalling out, or playing but with no sound.

Other videos are fine so it seems like just this video. Perhaps an encoding issue, or something to do with the length of the recording?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This evenings Vinnyvania stream still has the skipping issue.

Does anyone at GB even look at this forum? Is there a better route to alert staff to technical issues?

lepou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By lepou

Same here, it has become nearly unusable now. I'm glad to find this thread here!

If I want to watch Giant Bomb content on my TV I need to use the built in browser, which isn't that great.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

This evenings Vinnyvania stream still has the skipping issue.

Does anyone at GB even look at this forum? Is there a better route to alert staff to technical issues?

Sorry, I filed a bug for this a while back but as the developer is external to CBS I don't have a lot of insight on the timeline for getting this fixed, but I'll try to ping someone!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: thanks! i've bypassed it for now as I found the xbox one app but it would be nice to be able to use the Apple TV one again :)

Darthaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie it may not be the actual app that’s the problem since the issue happens with airplay as well which doesn’t use the app and is an Apple feature. It could be something to do with the actual stream.

okand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I’ll join the crowd and mention that the stream skips back a couple of seconds sometimes when watching on my Apple TV too.

RaphaelRose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey, I was one of the other people in the doom stream having this issue. Same issue as others described with skipping back a couple of seconds almost every minute. I watch the live streams on my iPad in chrome.

bathala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By bathala

The buffering is constant even on low quality. This started happening 2 weeks ago. On iPad or iPhone

Also can’t stream live anymore on LG TV browser which also stopped 2 weeks ago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just wanted to log that this issue continues on latest Apple TV OS beta.

neodyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still had the now typical hitching and skipping back on the east coast stream today, but Unprofessional Friday will only play for about one to two minutes before the stream just endlessly buffers. Refreshing will allow it to play for another minute before dying again. Tested in Safari on both iPad and iPhone and on two different internet connections.

sparkysanxion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just adding to the voices here. Live shows are now pretty much unwatchable for me on iOS/iPad. Normal shows play fine, but every live show I try to watch skips back a few seconds, every minute or so.

Like I say, almost unwatchable these days.

Changing quality settings used to help with the issue, but not any more. 😢

shades846

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have the same issues neodyn Rorie in chat just said Will looking into it but he is off this week.

sgt1shot1kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Want to add my voice to this. Also having these issues on iOS, iPad, Apple TV. This happens with safari and the Apple TV app specifically.

Extremely frustrating. Haven’t be able to watch live for over a month unless they are streaming on YouTube or Twitch.

neodyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Burgle hasn’t even started yet and the prestream is buffering, rewinding every 15 seconds. Really hope this issue gets sorted soon as streams are always my favorite GB thing and them being utterly unwatchable is very disappointing.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey, sorry there hasn't been much activity on this - the app is developed by a third party source and he has the bug assigned to him in our bug tracker. Will's out for the week but I'll try to get him to ping the developer when he's back. Sorry for the trouble!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know a little about iOS, and iirc Apple doesn’t allow alternative browser rendering engines so Chrome, Firefox and all other browsers are actually just using a standard Apple rendering engine. I can’t remember if it’s Safari’s WebKit or a similar but less feature filled version, but I’m pretty sure it gets shared to native apps for some purposes.

That being the case, it’s likely this core component is used for video in the iOS apps and all browsers.

Since non-live video is fine, including recordings of live streams, could it be some setting in the software or hardware used for doing the live streams is at fault here?

Sonicbug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This has been driving me nuts for awhile and I'm glad to see it's not just me. All the live streams on Safari stop and skip back, it makes them basically unwatchable. Frustrating, as the player used to work perfectly for me.

Avatar image for nihilisticmonkey
nihilisticmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Trying to watch UPF tonight and it’s skip city.. We had the buffering issues last year that took months to fix, now this. Surely iOS as a platform must make up a pretty large portion of your user base?

Love GB & the content, but it does feel like I’m fighting to Actually watch it half the damn time...

Sitterfast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Impossible to watch latest UPF live, really looking forward to a fix!

hybrid_aries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I’ve had the same issue for months as well on my iOS devices. I’ve just kinda accepted that I won’t be able to watch live streams on mobile, which really sucks.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Live stream this evening is just a blank screen on both Apple TV and the Xbox app. I’ve given up and watching Netflix instead.

What is going on?

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We believe we have identified what is most likely causing this issue but need to set up a test stream to work it out. It's in the engineers' hands now! Sorry for the length of time this is taking to figure out!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's great news, thanks @rorie!

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just as an update here, I believe Will and the engineer working on iOS did a test stream last week to try and figure this out. Will's out on vacation until the end of the week but I'll try and prompt him for more info when I can. Sorry for all the trouble!

soupbones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#45  Edited By soupbones

@rorie Good to hear the team is working on a fix! Watching UPF right now and it’s still bad, but occasionally makes for some funny moments. (Like getting a repeat of Ben yelling “Get Fucked” in a heated match of Burger Time Party.)

JackyChiles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for the updates Rorie. Todays Bombcast is a mess for me

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep, we are waiting for Will to come back and look into this stuff; I'll prompt him when I can. He's been delayed in Japan due to the typhoon that's ongoing.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey Will and the gang are doing some test streams on this now, FYI. It looks like 60fps video is causing some iOS devices to behave incorrectly; it works OK at 30fps but we obviously would prefer not to downgrade the video quality for everyone. We'll keep looking into solutions; sorry for the trouble.

shades846

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By shades846

So is the reason youtube is being used as player on GB even though I am premium subscriber because the GB normal player is broken on iOS ?

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So is the reason youtube is being used as player on GB even though I am premium subscriber because the GB normal player is broken on iOS ?

The YouTube player is default for everyone but you can flip it to the site player by clicking the three buttons at the bottom of the player. The site player should be fine for iOS; it's only the livestreams that seem to be affected by whatever's going on.