New Video Player Released!

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

With the old player I could close my browser in the middle of a video and come back hours later, or even the next day, and it would resume right where I left off. Hasn't been working with the new player which is kind of annoying. I'm currently using Chrome on a PC with Windows 10.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

@icemael: We definitely have resume functionality in the new player; are you using any add-ons for Chrome that might interfere with that? Have you tried another browser to see if it works there?

agentofdoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#153  Edited By agentofdoom

So like some other people are saying here, I get the freezing issue on some videos also/ Every so often the video just freezes and maybe after waiting a few minutes it comes back, but even refreshing the page doesnt always fix it. I'm using chrome and when I open up the browser console I see this error message:

[19:23:39 GMT-0800 (Pacific Standard Time).444] [ERROR] [MediaHeartbeat] API call trackEvent:BufferComplete is unsupported in the current state.

Every time I try to pause and then start the video after it freezes, I see that error message, including after refreshing and hitting play.

I had ublock origin on chrome but I turn it off when I'm this sites since I'm a premium member. The same thing happens when I tried Edge while logged in.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

@rorie: The last couple of days it's actually been working fine for the most part (still on Chrome with the same add-ons as before), but just now I went to the latest video podcast which I definitely watched a portion of recently, and it started me from the beginning instead of continuing where I left off. It's been a couple of days since I watched that first portion though. Is there a time limit on resuming?

tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 52

Yeah, I'm getting random freezing, and sometimes the video is constantly skipping ahead a couple seconds.

aphal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yup, still getting the random freezing here. Chrome, progressive, high. No issues on other sites or videos. Happening quite a lot in the UPF that just went up today.

tyn0mite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I often end up watching longer videos among multiple devices and I believe that the "Resume from saved position" function does not work as it used to? I used to watch a GB video on my iPhone at the gym then come home and resume from the same position on Microsoft Edge through my Xbox One. It now plays the video from the beginning - am I having a unique problem or is the method of storing the "saved" spot different now? Thanks! Keep up the great work!

lilmechson2196

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@anotherperson: I am also having the same problem on a chromebook. Do you also experience similar problems with other video players?

lepou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone else noticed that the Chromecast button has disappeared? At least on Safari... Now I need to install Chrome again.

Has there been any word on Apple TV Airplay integration?

pedanticjase

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Hi I had a strange bug where if I use the chrome extension HTTPS Everywhere ( https://www.eff.org/https-everywhere ) none of the UI elements for the video player appear, you can still click them if you know where they should be.

Disabling the addon for Giantbomb fixes it.

squiggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tearhead: I'm having the same problem with the skipping ahead. It's fine on my iPad, but keeps skipping a few seconds ahead every 15-30 seconds (Chrome).

bhurnie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 11

#163  Edited By bhurnie

Couldn't see any obvious reports of this; going through the back catalogue ("what's on page 200?"), I've come across two videos that don't fit properly inside the player window, whether normal, embiggened, or fullscreen. They extend below the player controls (and behind some parts of the webpage in the normal view). The video looks stretched on one, but it's hard to tell. I'd written the first one off as a weird broken thing, but two is maybe enough to find something in common. Everything else works fine, I've had no issues with playback.

My system: Windows 10, Edge 38.14393.0.0... not sure what else to add? Roughly up-to-date, not one of the cutting-edge Insider builds.

Faulty videos:

• http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/osama-bin-laden-is-authentically-captured/2300-6541/
  • http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/spookin-with-scoops-clock-tower-forsnes/2300-6704/ (premium)

And a picture to demonstrate:

No Caption Provided

Edit: Opening a download link in a new tab displays/fits it fine, but Patrick's video still looks stretched, so I guess that was him and not a video-player-related issue.

Ashmcsmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The player will stop and load a chunk every few minutes randomly and sporadically. I have it on auto quality settings but it doesn't seem to lower the quality while it tries to load these random chunks? It just keeps stopping and starting I didn't have this issue with the old player?

Avatar image for wanderingnewbie
WanderingNewbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just chiming in to say that yeah I've been having an issue today where the video freezes for a few seconds every now and then. Watching thought the browsering hitting the HD option on download, Chrome.

twins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had an interesting thing a minute ago. I was watching the switch roundtable video, and my internet connection dropped. So I paused the video while the player had lost connection. When the connection came back up the player started playing again and the play/pause button still indicated that the video was paused. When I clicked the button the icon switched to the pause symbol and the video kept playing. Clicking the button again paused it as expected.

In short:

• video playing
  • connection drops
  • pause video
  • connection returns
  • video auto-plays and the play/pause icon does not update
  • clicking play/pause corrects icon and video continues to play
  • clicking play/pause pauses normally

Just a weird thing I noticed

MrDurden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am now stuck with watching all the giantbomb video content on youtube because the new player simply will not buffer at all and I can only watch a couple seconds at a time before I get the spinning ring. Not such a big deal but as a subscriber I can't watch any premium content!

Love ya all

Avatar image for deactivated-63a77fdfcbee7
deactivated-63a77fdfcbee7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I can't use the new player at all. Just tries to load the video all the time and not playing anything. Tried using both Chrome and safari in html mode. Using Sierra on a MBA.

AaronMT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By AaronMT

How do I access the HTML5 player on Edge in Windows 10?

james_kaan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrdurden said:

I am now stuck with watching all the giantbomb video content on youtube because the new player simply will not buffer at all and I can only watch a couple seconds at a time before I get the spinning ring. Not such a big deal but as a subscriber I can't watch any premium content!

Love ya all

Same here. I can watch quick looks on youtube but I can no longer watch any premium content with the new player.

wcarle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrdurden: @khormouz: @james_kaan: Are you guys running any extensions like ghostery, ssl everyhwere, adbloc, ublock, etc? It's likely an extension blocking the video stream.

wcarle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@afxafx: Have you tried the progressive option?

james_kaan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wcarle: I disabled Adblock on chrome but it didn't make a difference. I don't run any other extensions.

aphal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By aphal

I'm not running adblock or any other extensions, but I did narrow down some behavior today! Watching the Elite Dangerous playdate that just went up, the video is unwatchable stuttery if I don't have window focus on the browser that is playing the video. If I do keep focus on the browser, it's fine.

Strangely, if I switch to a different tab in the browser and then switch focus to a different application, the audio never stutters in the background. I don't really get it. I'm on Progressive, as I've been set to ever since you suggested it would fix video hitching earlier on in the thread (it hasn't).

This is a fairly up to date Chromium Opera, 42.0

I'll try it on my other PC in Chrome later to see if it's the same behavior.

There are a lot of people in here with the same issue, it's really lame to hear it dismissed as "you're probably running some third party plug-in that is messing up the videos". I never had any issues with the old player nor have I had issues on any other site's video players. Is there any way to get the old player re-enabled for Premium users so we can watch the content again without save-as downloading the entire thing to our disk?

aphal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By aphal
My home PC / Chrome stutters no matter what I do. Also, resume across browser/device does not work for me. I was watching said Elite Dangerous video at work on Opera, came home on Chrome and it started from the beginning. I was logged into the site on both browsers and I have premium.
Aarglefarg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Occasionally with the new player, the audio desyncs by skipping a few minutes backwards and continues on from that point (without the current audio playing) while the video progresses normally. It is fixed by clicking on the red time progress bar to reload. I am streaming with Firefox for Linux 50.1.0 with HTML 5, filling the browser.

poveren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By poveren

Player stutters here and there, had to download latest UPF for that reason

Krockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@poveren: Having the same exact problems here as well across multiple videos. Its not unwatchable but extremely annoying. Actually its probably approaching unwatchable status as I type this.

ZereoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By ZereoX

@wcarle: Can we expect to see buffer progress preview for Progressive mode on the Player similar to Youtube?

No Caption Provided

I can also confirm, similar to other users have reported, HTML5 - Auto mode will skip like 1/6 or 1/5 of second when changing resolution (Micro-skip). This does not occur when a specific quality settings is selected (Buffer will occur, but playback will resume at the exact same place).

Browser Details:

Vivaldi1.7.725.3 (Official Build) (64-bit)
Revision3610b3aed429431d1467f8110483610d27faccb3
OSWindows
JavaScriptV8 5.6.329
Flash(Disabled)
User AgentMozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/56.0.2924.59 Safari/537.36 Vivaldi/1.7.725.3
Command Line"C:\Users\ZereoX\AppData\Local\Vivaldi\Application\vivaldi.exe" --always-authorize-plugins --disable-translate --enable-blink-features=ResizeObserver --flag-switches-begin --flag-switches-end
Executable PathC:\Users\ZereoX\AppData\Local\Vivaldi\Application\vivaldi.exe
Profile PathC:\Users\ZereoX\AppData\Local\Vivaldi\User Data\Default
CompilerMSVC 2015
aphal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, still getting a ton of skipping here, on both HTML5 and Progressive. Due to the UI pictured above I cannot be certain that progressive actually does anything at all, since there is no feedback that the video has preloaded.

noremnants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185  Edited By noremnants

I am getting an issue where the loading spinner is on while the video is playing. It seems to be only happening on this video: http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/ranking-of-fighters-0005-ranma-12-hard-battle-and-/2300-11171/

It makes it unwatchable as you can imagine having a spinner in the center of the screen is incredibly distracting. I can get around it by switching to YouTube but thought I'd report it just in case it's more widespread than just that one video.

Krutch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By Krutch

Videos no longer play on Safari on IOS for me, cleared cache, etc but the play button doesn't show up anymore. All I get is the rotating ring.

stinkygreencat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm getting a constant spinning loading animation on videos, on both HTML5 and progressive. (Safari, Mac Sierra)

UndercoverWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Videos will end at 9 seconds when I use HTML5. Progressive seems to work fine but this is the first time I have experienced this issue with HTML5 and it seems to be consistent across all videos i have tested in the past half hour.

squiggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@noremnants: I'm having the same problem. When a video does actually load (which is sadly becoming rarer and rarer on both progressive and html streaming), the spinner is constantly on the screen. The only way to avoid it is to use YouTube, but then I can't watch Premium content.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190  Edited By rorie

Please make sure you call out the browser you're using when you make reports; it does help us track this stuff down. Apologies for the trouble!

dan2026

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Videos don't load at all on Internet Explorer 11.

Never gets past the 'Loading video' message.

stinkygreencat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm getting a constant spinning loading animation on videos, on both HTML5 and progressive. (Safari, Mac Sierra)

Disabling uBlock fixes this for me.

kidsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193  Edited By kidsocrates

I am also getting failures trying to play HD videos. Specifically, I'm getting it in the TNT of Trials Evolution, when I try to run it HD in either Progressive or HTML5. Low and High both work perfectly, but if I manually set it to HD it never works, and if I set it to Auto it fails as soon as it goes to HTML5. I am running Chrome on a Chromebook.

Brake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Resuming from iPad to PC worked for me for the first time today. Thanks devs!

smallville123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Newest UPF 02/03/2017 runs really bad in chrome (tons of dropped frames) but great in firefox in HD. Both are 64 bit versions of the browsers

Jennifyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Slow playback and audio distortion on Chromecast. Only able to watch content via YouTube which excludes premium content. Last stream I was able to watch without this issue was the 1080 pees feature. I have no issues streaming any other content.

Tremayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197  Edited By Tremayne

Another person with the 9 second loop problem.

EDIT: It seems to only be HTML5 player, Progressive works fine.

Trying to watch the first premium Solo queue video on my Chromebook. In the past couple of days its been unable to play any giant bomb video for more than the first 9 seconds, where it goes blank and reverts to the giant premium play arrow, with the timeline of the video sticking at 00:09.

Attempting to resume the video just begins the video again. I have tried it with all extensions on, then disabling typical problem-causing extensions like Adblock, KB SSL Enforcer, HTTPS Everywhere and Ghostery, but to no avail. Trying it on incognito mode and with other premium videos and non-premium videos, the issue happens again.

Chrome OS

Version 55.0.2883.105 (64-bit)

Platform 8872.76.0 (Official Build) stable-channel peppy

Firmware Google_Peppy.4389.93.0

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How much RAM does that have? Have you tried another browser (assuming it lets you install one)?

@tremayne said:

Trying to watch the first premium Solo queue video on my Chromebook. In the past couple of days its been unable to play any giant bomb video for more than the first 9 seconds, where it goes blank and reverts to the giant premium play arrow, with the timeline of the video sticking at 00:09.

Attempting to resume the video just begins the video again. I have tried it with all extensions on, then disabling typical problem-causing extensions like Adblock, KB SSL Enforcer, HTTPS Everywhere and Ghostery, but to no avail. Trying it on incognito mode and with other premium videos and non-premium videos, the issue happens again.

Chrome OS

Version 55.0.2883.105 (64-bit)

Platform 8872.76.0 (Official Build) stable-channel peppy

Firmware Google_Peppy.4389.93.0

datarez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

I just want to say thank you for the little bar that shows when a video has been watched. Makes catching up on long series, like Vinnyvania, sooooooooo much easier.