Why Can't I Download Video? (or) Where's My Videos?

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Hi!

My premium expired recently, and then I reupped a day or so later. Since then however, I always get the error video when trying to watch videos using the Giant Bomb Enthusiast App on Fire TV. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the app, and reconnected multiple times. I've also tried running the app through the Android Emulator, as I've been toying with the app code lately. This also shows the error video.

Using the Video Bomb app on Android, and the web browser, both work fine. Is this likely to be an issue on your end? No code has changed in the version of the app installed on my Fire TV since it was previously working earlier in the week.

You should be fixed now.

flammabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@rorie: that GB customer service is just *chefkiss*

thanks rorie, all good!

MasterBrief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 2

#553  Edited By MasterBrief

Trying to download videos on my Surface 3 but get the error message. I can watch them just fine. I tried chrome and Edge neither worked. I did just re-up if that has any effect.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Trying to download videos on my Surface 3 but get the error message. I can watch them just fine. I tried chrome and Edge neither worked. I did just re-up if that has any effect.

Were you in a free trial? Is this still an issue for you?

MasterBrief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 2

@rorie: I was wondering if that was it. Works fine now thanks Rorie!

craymen_edge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't download videos on Chrome android. I tap on the icon, but the drop-down menu doesn't populate with options, it just sits there saying "Processing...".

It's the same whether I'm on WiFi, 4G, or if I select desktop mode.

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

craigbandicoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I just randomly started getting the error message through my podcast client (Pocketcasts). I've tried another client and many variations on the API url and still am having no luck. Just tried to download a video from the giantbomb site and had the same message too.

Can somebody tell me where I am going wrong? I have attempted all the steps in the original post and am getting nowhere.

jlyoung188

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I started getting the error message on Pocketcasts as well. My premium is up to date. Maybe an iOS 13 app update issue?

Rayeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

I'm having issues downloading the HD quality level only. The downloads always "complete" before downloading the whole file. I don't see this issue with the other sizes (high, medium, low or mobile).

No idea what is going on there.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jlyoung188: @toomuchcraig: Hey, sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I had someone else report issues with Pocketcasts as well. I suspect they're splitting up the files to make for a quicker download which is making the app hit our daily download limit very quickly. Is this still happening for you?

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rayeth said:

I'm having issues downloading the HD quality level only. The downloads always "complete" before downloading the whole file. I don't see this issue with the other sizes (high, medium, low or mobile).

No idea what is going on there.

Hmm, I haven't been seeing this myself personally lately. Can you give me a few example vids where this has happened? Have you tried another browser?

craigbandicoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: Hey Rorie, I am still having the same problem. It seems to be intermittent, some videos get through but others display the message.

Rayeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#566  Edited By Rayeth

@rorie:

I haven't tried another browser yet. I'll be able to do that later tonight when I get home.

Videos I tried before I posted:

YGFI: Spongebob

Burgle My Bananas: Episode 06

I'm in the process of downloading Vinnyvania Bloodstained 08, I'll update if it happens there also.

Edit: Vinnyvannia seems to be ok? Hm.

Edit2: I cleared the cache and now cannot get the problem to occur again. I'm guessing it was me.

Clavicle14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: I’ve also been having issues with Pocketcasts. Got frustrated and downloaded the bomb cyclone app and am still getting the same error messages in that.

Avatar image for wanderingnewbie
WanderingNewbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie IDK if this is just me or more widespread but since last night i can't download premium videos anymore. I checked and my premium is good till July 2020 but when I try to use the drop down to open the video separately in what would give me a window with just the video before now gives me a white window with the text "Based on your subscription level, this content is unavailable". Note I can still watch the videos not using the drop down box. Just wanted to bring this to your attention.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: I’ve also been having issues with Pocketcasts. Got frustrated and downloaded the bomb cyclone app and am still getting the same error messages in that.

Are you able to download from the site as usual? This might be an issue to bring up with those app developers. Pocketcasts has always been the wonkiest app out there in terms of how it deals with authenticated subscriptions and the like.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie IDK if this is just me or more widespread but since last night i can't download premium videos anymore. I checked and my premium is good till July 2020 but when I try to use the drop down to open the video separately in what would give me a window with just the video before now gives me a white window with the text "Based on your subscription level, this content is unavailable". Note I can still watch the videos not using the drop down box. Just wanted to bring this to your attention.

Can you try logging out and back in and see if that works? Or another browser?

WanderingNewbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie said:
@wanderingnewbie said:

Can you try logging out and back in and see if that works? Or another browser?

Sadly this doesn't seem to work, I even went as far as to check on another computer and I'm getting the same result.

Clavicle14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: yeah able to use the site just fine. The bomb cyclone app works now so I’ll just avoid pocketcasts.

no_style

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Video Buddy app on iOS stopped playing videos so I did a bit of searching and tried GBTV. Unfortunately, all I get with that app is the Jeff error video. Videos of all types play fine on the site and via the Roku app but not the iOS apps.

I have tried logging off, logging back on. Deleted and redownloaded the app as well.

dcyoung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Similar issue here -- GBTV and web browser downloads not working (both iOS and Firefox on Windows 10), but web player is OK.

gunner1905

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dcyoung said:

Similar issue here -- GBTV and web browser downloads not working (both iOS and Firefox on Windows 10), but web player is OK.

Same issue for me.

dcyoung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Started working again for me after a few days.

ZootNaps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@no_style: I'm getting this same error, on both GBTV app and Bomb Cyclone app. Can watch everything fine on the web browser, just not on these two apps.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Let me tag @wcarle in here and maybe he'll have a better idea of what's going on. This should only be happening if you run into the download limit but under normal usage patterns that should be a very rare occurrence.

gunner1905

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie said:

Let me tag @wcarle in here and maybe he'll have a better idea of what's going on. This should only be happening if you run into the download limit but under normal usage patterns that should be a very rare occurrence.

Still busted for me. When I try to download newer videos I get the "This is an error message" video and when I try an older one (like a quick look from September) I get "Based on your subscription level, this content is unavailable." I don't even download videos normally, just watches them using Giant Bomb Enthusiast app on a Nvidia Shield which I guess plays the same videos as the one for download.

Eulisker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am having the same issues. Downloads don’t work in the iOS App or browser, watching videos on the site works fine.

WanderingNewbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah just to echo this again, I posted last week I was getting the "Based on your subscription level, this content is unavailable." issue when I tried to download. Every day this fixes itself for like a few hours and then happens again. I can usually get through like 1 video, then i get the subscription level error. Can still watch videos through the site fine, but download doesn't work.

pedroschoen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm having the same problemn, I can watch throught the site but cant download or watch via video buddy on Android. Is there a fix?

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey, so, I believe Will has figured out what is causing this and is working on a fix. It looks like some apps are causing people to hit our download limit a lot more quickly than they otherwise should (we have a pretty high download limit just to prevent stuff like password sharing; most people should never run into it). I don't have an ETA on a fix right now, but in the meantime you should hopefully be able to avoid hitting the limit by sticking to the site itself rather than use apps to watch content. I know that's inconvenient and I apologize; I'll let you know when I know more about when a fix might appear.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am being told that this should HOPEFULLY be resolved now. Please let me know if you run into the error going forward.

Mac4877

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still getting error video on gbenthusiat app on nvidia shield and no video on the video buddy app, was working up till about 430 central time today.

Travacado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey @rorie

I'm suffering from the "Based on your subscription level, this content is unavailable" error as well.

I've been bouncing between downloading at home and at work so not sure if this could factor in (you mentioned it was to deter password sharing). Had no issues downloading Burgle My Bananas a few weeks ago but couldn't get the download to work for last years Extra Life streams over the last few days.

Tried again in the last 10 minutes and getting the same "Based on your subscription level, this content is unavailable" error.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@travacado: @mac4877: Are you still having this problem as of today? It's possible the code was pushed after I made that post about the fix.

craigbandicoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank you Rorie & Team! I shall reuse Pocketcasts and get back to you!

Mac4877

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All good now, thanks!

Travacado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: Whoops. I guess patience really is a virtue.

Thanks Rorie & the rest of the team, everything seems to be running smoothly again.

swimmingpig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This issue has just hit me. Dropdown download gives me the subscription level error but videos seem to work directly through the page. Not using any apps and, for the most part, just use one device to access Giant Bomb.

vegeta897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#593  Edited By vegeta897
malice16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmmm, just stumbled across this thread after typing "Giant Bomb Based on your subscription level, this content is unavailable" into google. I am also having this issue suddenly. I am a premium member and am not on a free trial or anything like that.

I actually had just downloaded a handful of premium videos when suddenly the message "Based on your subscription level, this content is unavailable" started popping up every time I tried. This is the video that I was trying to download when it first appeared:

https://www.giantbomb.com/shows/thursday-night-throwdown-031711/2970-18438/premium-video

I went to some different premium videos and tried downloading them, but I kept getting the same message. I went back to some of the premium videos that I had downloaded earlier in the day and I got the message on those videos now. I took some of the suggestions listed above of using a different browser and logging in and back out, but I still received the same message.

Any suggestions or help with resolving this would be greatly appreciated. If there is anything that I can try and report back in order to help resolve this just let me know. Thank you!

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@malice16: @vegeta897: @swimmingpig: Hey I think I'm going to need to talk to some of you in more of a real-time capacity to figure this out or at least send it over to Will as it happens. If any of you can try to tweet at me as soon as you notice the message for the first time in a day, that would be one way to get the info over to him; or if you have Discord let me know and we can friend each other over there so I can chat with you as soon as you hit the download cap so we can figure out what's causing it at root. Sorry for the trouble!

Kensanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#596  Edited By Kensanity

Sadly, the error of "Giant Bomb Based on your subscription level, this content is unavailable," has effected me as well. Based on other posts I've tried logging out and back in on different browsers, and the problem remains. I don't often download videos or use the app, however, there are times I do watch downloaded videos / app usage at one of my jobs, in which, there is no wifi. I am not sure what other information you'd like from me in order to help out with the issue.

I've also tried it on different videos (past and present), and although playing the videos isn't an issue what-so-ever, downloading them isn't happening at this time.

bloodbjorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm having the same issue (error: "Based on your subscription level, this content is unavailable") with a regular premium subscription.

It only happens using a download manager (App called "Downie" in my case) despite having chunked downloads disabled.

Usually the download within the Download Manager just aborts after a couple of hundred megabytes have been downloaded. After that pretty much every video in every quality shows the "content unavailable" error if i use the download button on the site.

Even the progressive video option within the video player doesn't work anymore till the next day, html streaming still works fine.

The error doesn't happen when downloading a video in the browser (Brave Browser or Edge Chromium with parallel downloads flag enabled).

Also the error shows up regardless of using a vpn or not.

It seems to be only tied to the download manager with or without chunked downloads enabled.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bloodbjorne: OK, you definitely hit the download limit and I cleared that out for you. I'd recommend not using that download manager for the meantime until we figure out what's causing this issue. Will is going to have to look into it and figure out what the common threads here are; as far as I can tell there's no issue with your account.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sadly, the error of "Giant Bomb Based on your subscription level, this content is unavailable," has effected me as well. Based on other posts I've tried logging out and back in on different browsers, and the problem remains. I don't often download videos or use the app, however, there are times I do watch downloaded videos / app usage at one of my jobs, in which, there is no wifi. I am not sure what other information you'd like from me in order to help out with the issue.

I've also tried it on different videos (past and present), and although playing the videos isn't an issue what-so-ever, downloading them isn't happening at this time.

Let me know if this is still occurring for you today. Your download limit should be cleared now; if you run into this error message again without any obvious reason, let me know the last app/browser/device you were using to try and download stuff, if you can!

poisonmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hi, I am to getting the "Based on your subscription level, this content is unavailable" message for downloads too, I use IDM (Internet Download Manager) to queue a few downloads and have used this many times over the many years as a member but it only just started causing the error recently.