Release Date for Darksiders 3 Announced: Coming to X1, PS4, and PC on 11/27/2018

big_denim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet, but figured I'd give a PSA in case anyone missed this bit of info from various news outlets.

To be honest, I wasn't sure if this game was really gonna hit a 2018 release date considering its radio silence (THQn suspiciously avoided E3 altogether this year, despite them being a new developer with new games/IP to discuss).

Any who, I'm looking forward to this game. I liked Darksiders 1 a good bit. For some reason I skipped Darksiders 2 despite me enjoying the first one. Methinks I'll run through that during this Summer release drought before the third one drops.

Anyone else excited to see how this game turns out?

ATastySlurpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Super excited and I hope it does well enough that we get a 4th one. 1 was great. 2 was a slog if i'm being honest. I enjoyed it when it came out and it was good time sinker, but it was too long and pretty shallow. The recent gameplay trailer for III definitely looks better than their previous gameplay trailer

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Incredibly curious about this, and no real idea what to expect. First game was one of the best Zeldas, second game is a great action RPG and that's the direction I preferred for sure.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I am tentatively hopeful! I loved the first one but wasn't as huge of a fan of the second.

big_denim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By big_denim

Ha, I feel like THQn is gonna have a hard time pleasing everybody with Darksiders 3. This topic epitomizes what seems like the general fan reception to Darksiders 1 and 2. Everyone seems split on whether Darksiders 2 was an upgrade and the direction the series should go, or a major disappointment to the Zelda-inspired Darksiders 1.

Side note: I'm more curious about BioMutant if we're being honest though. Another game of theirs they've been very silent on lately.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Everyone seems split on whether Darksiders 2 was an upgrade and the direction the series should go, or a major disappointment to the Zelda-inspired Darksiders 1.

Are they, though? While I have definitely seen some people who (incorrectly) prefer the second game, I feel like the general consensus has been that, for the most part, Darksiders 1 is a much better game.

The way the devs have talked about 3 makes it seem like it's going to stick closer to the original game, and I honestly don't think they'd be alienating that many people if they went that route.

ATastySlurpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ha, I feel like THQn is gonna have a hard time pleasing everybody with Darksiders 3. This topic epitomizes what seems like the general fan reception to Darksiders 1 and 2. Everyone seems split on whether Darksiders 2 was an upgrade and the direction the series should go, or a major disappointment to the Zelda-inspired Darksiders 1.

Side note: I'm honestly more curious about BioMutant if we're being honest. Another game of theirs that's been very silent lately.

Yes. Darksiders III seems to be more like Darksiders 2 and Biomutant is more like Darksiders 1.. in terms of gameplay and structure anyways

vortextk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atastyslurpee: Goodie....

2 isn't bad, but I'm so bored with it. Fired it up again earlier this year, finally fixing the weird vsync/stuttering mess it is on pc. I got...god I hope like halfway in. It just keeps going and I don't care about anything going on with the story and gameplay is absolutely fine but SO - MUCH - OF - IT.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Considering nothing has been shown past that first questionable stuff, im kind of skeptical of the release date being so soon.

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do we know absolutely anything at all about this game besides the release date?

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By BoOzak

@dgtlty: From what i've seen it seems like an action RPG in the vein of the new God of War, it could be more like Zelda or the original Darksiders but what was shown had very light puzzle elements and very basic level design. It seems the story involves you going after the 7 deadly sins for some reason.

This was all gathered from a short gameplay demo (with the devs) IGN did over a year ago though. Things may have changed.

I'll check it out. I like these sorts of action adventure games. Although i'll admit that i'm sad we're not getting a follow up to the ending of the first game.

EDIT: Added the video in case you were interested.

Loading Video...
CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Two kind of deflated my enthousiasm for this quite a bit, by being a lesser game and taking some very bad story choices.

vasta_narada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I just want them to continue from the Darksiders 1 cliffhanger :/

MrGreenMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MrGreenMan
NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In ways, I liked two more than the first. The way it was structured like an action RPG and more open environments, but I ended up not liking it that much and took me quite a while to find the enthusiasm for it to finish. I feel like, at this point, I finished the first two and read the short comics, I might as well play the last.

Ericjasonwade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hope it goes back in the Zelda inspired direction of the first since even Zelda doesn’t seem interested in using that template anymore.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Here's the actual answer for the 1 vs 2 debate: they aren't better than each other. That's what I love about them so much. They are their own separate experience taking place at roughly the same time. War and Death feel completely different to play and are uniquely satisfying, although I enjoy the acting of Michael Wincott leagues above Liam O'Brien. The two things I will argue about one being better than the other is the environmental variety of the world and combat in 2 being much, much better than 1.

I'd love to see this continue, honestly. I don't want Darksiders 3 to be like 1 or 2.

Rahf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doctordonkey: You mean the one voice and kinda same-y delivery Liam O'Brien has? That timbre is so unique it stands out in every role he plays (Asura in Asura's Wrath, Illidan Stormrage in World of Warcraft, to name a few.)

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Btw there was another fresher gameplay video released:

Loading Video...

Looking better imo, im glad they changed the whip from a flimsy energy thing to a more solid beefy metal bladed one.

vortextk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tennmuerti: Ok, so when she picked up the item off the dead body in the beginning of that video I'm like "heh, wouldn't it be funny if they wanted dark souls ish with the game since the first two kinda shifted in focus from each other" and then she fed vulgrim souls and leveled up. Soooo....? Also I know I think in that first IGN video the game dev was talking about how there would be smaller fights, less group combat, which would fit that slight souls take. The few medium sized enemies here don't seem hard or super meaty, but enough health and dodging that hours in from that, fighting 1-2 medium harder enemies might feel real good. It's not "oh god I die in 2 hits and I only have stamina for 3 swings and a roll" dark souls, but from that little video it seems nudged in that direction. The changes might be a good fit. I want to beat 2, to say I've beaten 2, but I don't know if I physically want to sit down and do it...

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

After that first ign video I was worried as it didn't quite look like it was a finished section of the game. The second video is more promising, but games like GOW and Horizon have me spoiled.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Alright, so it looks like they are doing exactly what I thought, every game is going to be its own thing and each horsemen will feel wildly different to play. Where DS1 was a Zelda/GoW hybrid, DS2 being a Diablo/DMC/Zelda hybrid, this looks to be straight up Dark Souls. Combat looks to be paced waaaay slower than DS2, down to pretty much Dark Souls 3 speed. Even Bloodborne looks faster than that most recent video. I'm kinda Dark Souls'd out, so I dunno how I feel about it. I really loved playing as Death, he was quick and wirey, and his combos and sweet spot timings felt great. Maybe Fury's massive flowing head of hair and heels are slowing her down.

Strife is the only horsemen left, so maybe Darksiders 4 is a Vanquish/Zelda hybrid? I could get behind that.