EVO 2015 Preview (July 17-19, live from Las Vegas) 3 days, 9 world championships to be decided!

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 25

o_O ChrisG and Terry Bogard are in the same pool for Marvel.

That's pretty funny.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#53  Edited By FLStyle

Adding this to the CEO section in the OP:

I've sort of fallen off the EVO wagon in recent years, but seeing that trailer - did EVO get a bunch more money recently and now have a better logistics team to make things look fancier?

Not to my knowledge, EVO is still ran by 3 gents with full time jobs in their spare time. They do get a whole bunch more volunteers these days to function as event staff and the production values have most certainly ramped up from 5 years ago, but that's more due to gradual investment and improvement than anything.

hmoney001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'm hoping they will have those crazy stage displays again for each game.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Looks like the big Tekken 7 announcement did not include a release date. It's actually a large tournament system.

Loading Video...

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

http://www.redbull.com/us/en/esports/stories/1331733707722/your-guide-to-red-bull-at-evo-2015

Evo 2015 is just around the corner and Red Bull eSports will be there in full force. We’re running the official Salty Suite and have buses ready to get you to the Gameworks pre-party.

Party Time

If you’re in town early enough, grab a ticket to the Official Evo Party at Gameworks. We’ve arranged a bus to shuttle people with Evo credentials from Bally’s to the GameWorks pre-party. You MUST have a credential to get on the bus, so don’t forget to bring that.

Y’ALL READY FOR THE SALT

As soon as the official Evo streams go down on Saturday, the official Red Bull & Evo Salty Suite (located in a massive 3,400sq ft suite at Paris Hotel) will go live with incredible games happening for Smash and Street Fighter. Streams will be running all night long on VGBootCamp and TeamSpooky Sabin.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flstyle: Art's neverending quest for MAX CPM.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By hassun

Red Bull's odd steps into digital sports never fail to surprise me. Those suites look far too classy for the FGC, I hope nothing goes wrong.

Pfhorlol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The most exciting part of a sponsored "salty suite" is that they probably won't get kicked out due to noise complaints. That is always a danger at every tourney, and it's hard to find games at night cause people are too loud and get kicked out. It didn't happen last year at the anime suite that Jiyuna did, so hopefully that goes as well this year.

I've been to evo for like 4 years in a row but I have to miss this year, I really wanted to compete in P4u2 cause this is probably the only year it will be a main game. Hope I can go to CEOtaku this fall.

WesternWizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FYI the Cannon brothers' full time job is their own game dev studio they are building themselves. Supposedly they hit it rich at some point (as developers probably worked for a startup that gave stock options and then made it big) and so now they work for themselves. So they can put as much time as they want into Evo since they only answer to themselves.

Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Dope work as always @FLStyle. If CEO was any indication, watching the Ultra competition is gonna be really enjoyable.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

Is there going to be a GB meetup at EVO? I know Jason is going, maybe Jeff.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

FYI the Cannon brothers' full time job is their own game dev studio they are building themselves. Supposedly they hit it rich at some point (as developers probably worked for a startup that gave stock options and then made it big) and so now they work for themselves. So they can put as much time as they want into Evo since they only answer to themselves.

Pretty sure they both had nice jobs at VMWare before they quit to make their game.

And they've basically built the FGC. They started srk, they started evo, made ggpo...the whole community owes them big for all the time and effort they've put in.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pfhorlol said:

The most exciting part of a sponsored "salty suite" is that they probably won't get kicked out due to noise complaints. That is always a danger at every tourney, and it's hard to find games at night cause people are too loud and get kicked out. It didn't happen last year at the anime suite that Jiyuna did, so hopefully that goes as well this year.

I've been to evo for like 4 years in a row but I have to miss this year, I really wanted to compete in P4u2 cause this is probably the only year it will be a main game. Hope I can go to CEOtaku this fall.

That's a damn shame, CEOtaku is looking like a good event though, Jebailey has already promised that there'll be no non-anime fighting games.

@jayzilla said:

Dope work as always @FLStyle. If CEO was any indication, watching the Ultra competition is gonna be really enjoyable.

/salute Agreed, USFIV is going to be something else this year. The top 8 is could be any number of 50 entrants and I've no idea who's going to win it all.

Is there going to be a GB meetup at EVO? I know Jason is going, maybe Jeff.

I think you're the first to mention it, if there's other GB people going I'm sure they'd be up for that.

@amafi said:
@westernwizard said:

Pretty sure they both had nice jobs at VMWare before they quit to make their game.

And they've basically built the FGC. They started srk, they started evo, made ggpo...the whole community owes them big for all the time and effort they've put in.

Absolutely. Couldn't agreed more!

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@l1ghtn1n: Sean! Throwing basketballs like nobody's business!

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By hassun
sergeantz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Darn shame there's no BlazBlue this year. Last year's finals were crazy.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By hassun

Almost forgot:

Happy birthday to one of the greatest fighting game players of all time, Mr Taniguchi.

@sergeantz: There is a BlazBlue side tournament. Who knows maybe Dogura will enter it as well. I don't think Galileo/Garireo is not attending this year though.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@l1ghtn1n: I hope it's Blanka and his V-Skill is that fucking hop and it generates V-Meter with every use so Blanka players are just fucking hopping all day every day bahahahahahahahaha

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By hassun
ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@starvinggamer: Would his V-Trigger induce input lag onto the opponent?

Jesna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Jesna

Well, in a weird twist of fate I'm going to be in Japan during EVO. I'm going to try and squeeze in a couple of visits to some arcades in Tokyo while I'm here. I may actually be able to beat someone in Japan at SF4 with timing like this.

If you Tekken-heads have anything you want to know about the game just let me know. You will probably need to be explicit if you want me to test anything thoguh, as I know shit all about Tekken in general.

With any luck I'll still be able to watch some of EVO with y'all in the GB Illuminati chat.

hmoney001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By hmoney001

@jesna: Thats pretty sweet Jesna. Try to take pics.

Makes me wonder if they will stream EVO at the big japanese arcades.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@l1ghtn1n: @flstyle: Considering the London stage was followed by the Birdy and Cammy reveal, I wouldn't be surprised if they showed both? I'm sort of hoping that they do a radical redesign like they did with Birdy, but I'm not betting on it... yet.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jesna: Thats pretty sweet Jesna. Try to take pics.

I second this motion! Hope you can join us Jesna.

@gaff said:

@l1ghtn1n: @flstyle: Considering the London stage was followed by the Birdy and Cammy reveal, I wouldn't be surprised if they showed both? I'm sort of hoping that they do a radical redesign like they did with Birdy, but I'm not betting on it... yet.

Technically speaking, he may be Japanese, but Oro has lived in Brazil for the past century...

WesternWizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amafi said:
@westernwizard said:

That could be it, I just don't remember where they worked when they made their $. And yeah between all the things they've done, there would likely be no modern FGC without them, or at least not nearly as strong. Sort of crazy when you think about it, and of course wildly appropriate the community award is named after them.

Which reminds me, wonder who will get it this year, sort of hoping it is FGCDrMike from /r/Kappa for all his hard work getting more foreign players to US events to let them shine so the US can appreciate how awesome more players not named Daigo et all are.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's no stopping this man!

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By ThunderSlash

Get ready for some suit tearing animations boys! Possibly.

And Battle Fantasia may be out on PC, but y'all know what you really want:

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Holy moly EVO 2015 has 8 stream channels!

Capcom Fighters and srkevo1 through 7

WesternWizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Was just coming to post the same thing @flstyle

Holy crap this is going to be AMAZING.

hmoney001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

um, how are we gonna fit all that into the illuminati chat?

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh man, I hope that they all have quality options for the people that can't afford to run them at source.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By FLStyle
No Caption Provided

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@flstyle said:

Holy moly EVO 2015 has 8 stream channels!

Capcom Fighters and srkevo1 through 7

Gonna need more monitors.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hmoney001: @flstyle:

I think we are going to have to make some tough decisions for the GB chat. I don't think GB chat is fit to host more than 3 streams at the same time. Probably not even more than 2.

Looking at the schedule it seems srk1 will be a lock for all 3 days because all the finals are going to be shown there. Or at least for the times the finals are on. The second stream will be a different question.
Honestly I am surprised at how little USFIV will be shown on CapcomFighters.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hmoney001: @flstyle: @hassun:

Day 1

1. SRKEVO1
  2. CapcomFighters
  3. SRKEVO2 (or 4; bonus stream)

Day 2

1. SRKEVO1
  2. SRKEVO7
  3. SRKEVO2 (bonus stream)

I'll be in Vegas so I have no dog in this fight, but this is what makes the most sense to me for GB chat.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hmoney001: @flstyle: @hassun:

Day 1

1. SRKEVO1
  2. CapcomFighters
  3. SRKEVO2 (or 4; bonus stream)

Day 2

1. SRKEVO1
  2. SRKEVO7
  3. SRKEVO2 (bonus stream)

I'll be in Vegas so I have no dog in this fight, but this is what makes the most sense to me for GB chat.

I do like the look of srkevo7, hot KI and MKX action.

That would be pretty nuts if they went all in on Alpha and 3rd Strike characters save for a handful of iconic characters.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@starvinggamer: R. Mika is the rumor killer.

I might have some minor issues with their order choices but they seem to really be doing work on the streaming front, good stuff.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By StarvingGamer

@fredchuckdave said:

@starvinggamer: R. Mika is the rumor killer.

I dunno, Capcom did that fucking character poll thing right? Wouldn't be out of the question for them to follow it, even if I've argued against the likelihood of her inclusion in the past. It's not like the rumors are coming from some random garbo site, or is Siliconera actually a garbo site and I'm just not aware of it?

EDIT: Would be great if they also made her the tallest character with the most health in the game but that definitely would never happen.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If these leaks aren't fake then SF5 is gonna be Street Fighter: The People We Didn't Include in SF4. Which I am fine with.

Also, I went back and replayed a bit of Vampire Savior and YO V-TRIGGER WAS TAKEN STRAIGHT FROM THIS GAME WASN'T IT?

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By hassun

@flstyle: @starvinggamer: Makes me wonder if Siliconera is just copy pasting from this rumour/"leak".

Regarding the schedule, I always wonder how many Smash fans we have here on GB. I know there are some but I'm not sure how active they are. I'm not opposed to srk7 for Saturday because the combination of srk1 and 7 will give us a nice variety of games.

Avatar image for tournamentofhate
TournamentOfHate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#96  Edited By TournamentOfHate

@hassun said:

@hmoney001: @flstyle:

I think we are going to have to make some tough decisions for the GB chat. I don't think GB chat is fit to host more than 3 streams at the same time. Probably not even more than 2.

It'd be cool if the chat page was setup like multitwitch is, and replace the twitch chats with the GB one. I used it to watch 6 streams from CEO for like 12 hours, it was amazing(but difficult to settle down & fall asleep that night).

Edit: Also @hassun: I'm a fan of Smash. I got into the FGC first but I like watching both scenes equally(primarily Melee though, as much as I've tried to get excited about Sm4sh I haven't been able to, to me the game is played so slow and the top 8s take forever, like the finals at EVO are scheduled to be 4 hours long lol).

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tournamentofhate: My internet cannot generally handle 2 streams going at the same time so I generally don't have a lot of use for a site like that and it would kind of defeat the purpose of having the GB chat but a certain GB member does have a little site called http://www.explosiveruns.com/ which has the ability to handle that kind of task...
Paging @chaser324 I guess.

Avatar image for tournamentofhate
TournamentOfHate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

@hassun: Good idea! explosiveruns would be sweet for that.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#99 chaser324  Moderator
Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers