Which version are you playing first?

• 73 results
Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Poll Which version are you playing first? (211 votes)

Birthright 51%
Conquest 33%
I'm only playing Birthright 10%
I'm only playing Conquest 5%

Hey all, which version do you plan on buying first? Assuming we get the discounted DLC deal here, my plan is to play Birthright, then Conquest, then the neutral campaign when it's released. (Who am I kidding, even if we don't get the discount I'll be doing this)

Hearing that Birthright is going to be styled after Awakening (my favorite Fire Emblem game) and Conquest is going to be a more traditional Fire Emblem, I realized that for some people this will be a one game affair. I'm assuming there will be quite a few people who will only be playing Birthright, potentially scared off by the more hardcore difficulty of Conquest, or not caring for that style of Fire Emblem game. Hell, I'm guessing there will be people who make their choice on character design and story alone, which is completely understandable. As I understand from information from Japan, each game's core story is the same length as Awakening, with only the first 6 chapters shared between games and tons of side missions.

So, I pose the question! Will you be starting with the harder game and cruising through Birthright? Will you be like me, playing the easy game to get a hang of the new systems and then graduating to Conquest? Or is one of these games enough for you?

• 
Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

I missed out on the SE :(. man that sold out fast.

So probably Birthright. I think it will be hard to jump into an easier mode after playing Conquest. Gonna play all three though

PhilOsyfee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@slag I'm going to same route you are. I feel like it will make more sense if I plan on playing all 3.

Radish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Is there a way to walk into a store and just buy a box with both versions on it? Dan seemed to imply on the podcast there was but I haven't seen anything like that outside of the 3DS bundle.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

@radish said:

Is there a way to walk into a store and just buy a box with both versions on it? Dan seemed to imply on the podcast there was but I haven't seen anything like that outside of the 3DS bundle.

There's a special edition of the game for $80 that has all 3 on one cartridge (the same price as getting them all together normally), no download required, alongside an art book and a sleeve for your 3DS, but good luck finding one of those. I had to pre-order mine online back in November and it was sold out a few hours later.

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I dropped the $60 to get both. No idea which side I'm gonna play first yet, although I have been playing a lot of Shogun: Total War 2 lately, and am feeling pretty pro Samurai.

Cav829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#57  Edited By Cav829

@radish:The closest thing to that right now short of spending $200+ on the Special Edition from an eBay scalper is the Best Buy deal. You get a boxed copy of one of the games and digital copies of the second game and Revelations for either $75 or $67 if you have Gamer's Club Unlocked.

Radish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OK thanks! Sounds like the way to go is just to buy one then download the other if you still want more since you aren't really saving any money with the combo (also difficulty in finding one).

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Probably birthright since it seems to be the easier of the two. Then Conquest. Either way that's a lot of strategy gamin' and I'm pretty happy about it.

azrailx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Conquest was made for FE fans who liked the older games

Birthright was made for the new fans from awakening

The game split is significantly different from 2 different versions of Pokemon, though I am sure that half the reason they did it was for the extra cash

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought both copies (so I'll probably have to buy both of them again on the eshop? Or at least the third one twice. Fuckin' I dunno. I have both boxes) and I'm playing through Conquest first because I like the people on the box better. Birthright crew look like a bunch of Dynasty Warriors rejects.

azulot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Conquest! Bought the new Fire Emblem 3ds XL for the boyfriend for Valentine's Day and he gets his pick which was Birthright. Gonna end up playing all 3 lines eventually though.

azulot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donchipotle: I'm curious about getting Revelations as well; looks like I might have to buy that one twice since we're playing them on two 3ds's.

GValo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I've never played FE but want to jump in on this.... which one should I get first? Birthright sounds like it's "easier" I guess?

azrailx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gvalo said:

If I've never played FE but want to jump in on this.... which one should I get first? Birthright sounds like it's "easier" I guess?

I'd recommend Birthright on Normal Classic (unit permdeath but on the easiest mode).

If your ever having trouble with a map you can grind for experience and brute force your way through

Just my 2 cents

GValo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@azrailx: awesome. I remember Patrick talking highly of Awakening.

I listen to the bombcast at work so I remember Dan talking about playing through it but couldn't recall which one he said he preferred. Wish I had considered grabbing it when that SE was available.

DinosaurCanada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

I have been way way too anxious about this decision. I decided to pick up a physical version of Conquest because everything about it appeals to me more. I'm ready to get my soul crushed and fed back to me through a straw.

GValo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I went to best buy and picked up Birthright. They had Awakening on the shelf for $20 so I grabbed it and when the guy rang them up some "game bundle" popped up and dropped Awakening down to $15.99

mathey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Never tried Fire Emblem before (getting a 3DS as a present) so, based on the reviews saying Birthright is more n00b friendly, I'm going with that one.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I bought Birthright because the only Fire Emblem I've played is Awakening (and some Shadow Dragon but eh), but haven't started it. I don't know if I'll buy Conquest and the third campaign.

justicejanitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This Fire Emblem is going to be my first Fire Emblem game and Conquest looks like it has a much more interesting story so I'll probably go with that one.

GannerOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't have any experience with FE as well, but I got a fair amount of experience with other tactical RPGs (and strategy-games in general). As @dinosaurcanada said; everything about Conquest appeal more to me - story seems more interesting, characters I suppose and the gameplay even. I'm abit afraid tho since I've read that Conquest not necessarily has the best story and that the gameplay is way too unforgiving since you can't grind along the mainstory. I wonder if I'm getting the Conquest physical-edition for 40$ then download Birthright for 20$ so that I'll play through Birthright first just to get a grip on the game before trying out Conquest.

Note: I live in Europe so I still got some time to consider it since most retailers list the game for sale from between April 16th - June.

PS: If people would be so kind as to reply on this thread about what your thoughts are on the matter as you play it in the US, it would be great!

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Birthright first, then Conquest. I'd rather the game get harder than the other way around.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Conquest for me.