• 154 results
cjmabry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By cjmabry

Okay, before I get flamed, first note that this is not a "Which system is better" thread. This is not a "PS3 is teh best, Xbox sux!!11!!!" thread. In fact, I own and enjoy an Xbox 360, PC, and a Wii - no PS3. This thread is more or less a "Which system will give me more entertainment in 2011 and beyond" thread. Some are probably thinking, "Who cares?" Well, the fact of the matter is, if I'm going to be spending a large amount of cash on video games in 2011, I want the system that will give me the most enjoyment, whether that be the 360, PS3, Wii, or heck, the Dreamcast. No fanboyism here.  

This comparison will only be between the 360 and PS3, as I feel like, regardless of how much I love my Wii (tee hee hee), it is and always will be my secondary system. This doesn't mean I think people shouldn't rely on it as their primary system, it's just what I, personally, feel. it's a great system, regardless.

With that out of the way, let's get started.  

I've been an Xbox owner since it came out, and, although I liked the idea of owning a PS3, I've never found a reason to ditch the 360 in favor of one. However, looking at the list of upcoming exclusives for both systems in 2011 is quite astounding and is heavily tempting me to sell my battle-scarred, been to red rings and back 360 in favor of a PS3. I'll let you take a look. 

Notable PS3 Exclusives Probable for 2011 ReleaseNotable Xbox 360 Exclusives Probable for 2011 Release

And Some others that I've probably missed. Feel free to add.

And Some others that I've probably missed. Feel free to add.

So, what's the deal here? Does Microsoft have some huge releases up their sleeves, or did I simply miss some exclusive 360 games? If not, it's getting harder and harder to justify keeping my 360, especially with the price of Xbox Live and the fact that it will probably fail on me again and is out of warranty. It just seems Microsoft is focusing too much on the casual fans and Kinect, rather than the hardcore audience. However, the year is still young.

What do you think? Which system will have a more productive year in terms of entertainment value, regardless of which sells better? It's going to be a tough decision deciding  whether or not I should sell my 360, but either way I would like to hear your thoughts. 

EDIT:   Forgot to mention I own a PC and adore Steam. This is merely about the console side of things.
NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By NekuSakuraba

PC wins.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By Rhaknar

ive been hearing "year of the ps3" for like 3 years in a row now :p
cjmabry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By cjmabry
@NekuSakuraba said:
" PC wins. "
Forgot to mention I own a PC and adore Steam. This is merely about the console side of things.
NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By NekuSakuraba
@cjmabry
@NekuSakuraba said:
" PC wins. "
Forgot to mention I own a PC and adore Steam. This is merely about the console side of things.
PS3 wins in that case. :P
cjmabry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By cjmabry
@Rhaknar said:
" ive been hearing "year of the ps3" for like 3 years in a row now :p "
Same here, and then I've looked at the list of upcoming games and what the PS3 had to offer and shrugged. Now it seems Sony is doing so many things right, and the list looks darn good.
Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7  Edited By KaosAngel

Every year is the year of the PS3.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By Rhaknar
@cjmabry said:
" @Rhaknar said:
Same here, and then I've looked at the list of upcoming games and what the PS3 had to offer and shrugged. Now it seems Sony is doing so many things right, and the list looks darn good. "

if you want a serious anwser, what are you looking for? "year of the" exclusive games wise? than the ps3 has been the best compared to the 360 for a long time now. If you mean sales wise, than it will continue to be behind in the states, no matter how many exclusives it has, and ahead in europe (except the UK). im talking strictly ps3 vs 360. 

personally, its going to be the year of the PC for me. Ill play the big games, gears 3, uncharted 3, etc on consoles, but most of my time will be spent on pc with all the games i just got in the xmas steam sale, and many more i will continue to buy on steam
TheSmashing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TheSmashing

Well I think its pretty easy to see the PS3 has the better exclusive list for 2011 at the moment

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By SomeJerk

Neogaf has a useful set of threads listing PS3 exclusives  ( http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=415682 ) and 360 ones ( http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=415736 ). MS have spent a lot of money on Kinect and the marketing and from the Neogaf listing it's going to be a great year if you're into anything Kinect, that means four people reading this line of text, but other than that eeh.. really poor year and they're going to have to find a magical golden egg laying chicken to pull a miracle out of this year.

Get a Slim, forget about a fat PS3, they are ticking timebombs heading towards YLODs, and get a BR movie or two and prepare to have your eyes made love with.

cjmabry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By cjmabry
@Rhaknar said:
" @cjmabry said:
" @Rhaknar said:
Same here, and then I've looked at the list of upcoming games and what the PS3 had to offer and shrugged. Now it seems Sony is doing so many things right, and the list looks darn good. "
if you want a serious anwser, what are you looking for? "year of the" exclusive games wise? than the ps3 has been the best compared to the 360 for a long time now. If you mean sales wise, than it will continue to be behind in the states, no matter how many exclusives it has, and ahead in europe (except the UK). im talking strictly ps3 vs 360.  personally, its going to be the year of the PC for me. Ill play the big games, gears 3, uncharted 3, etc on consoles, but most of my time will be spent on pc with all the games i just got in the xmas steam sale, and many more i will continue to buy on steam "
I only choose exclusives because, obviously, you can play multi-plat games on either console. I'm not talking specifically about best exclusives, either, although for me that's really the most important deciding factor. The answer I'm looking for is which system do you feel will get provide the most enjoyment, console-wise, as it's just too much cash to have both and Xbox 360 AND PS3, along with a PC, imo.
ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By ch13696
@cjmabry said:
" @Rhaknar said:
I've felt the same, but besides Gears of War 3, I still can't figure out why I should buy another Xbox 360. My Elite keeps red ringing so now I just buy all my games on the PS3 or PC.
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By KaosAngel

How is PGR5 coming out when the company is dead?

gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By gamb1t
@Rhaknar said:

and it has been. this is known everywhere except for fanboys

Just got a 360 myself which i have been enjoying but there really isnt any games for the 360(its ashame). one thing that i like about the 360 is cheaper used games compared to ps3.
cjmabry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By cjmabry
@SmashingTimes said:

"  Well I think its pretty easy to see the PS3 has the better exclusive list for 2011 at the moment "

Oh, and how could I forget, Portal 2. While not an exclusive, Gabe has made it pretty evident that they're focusing more on the PS3 version. And since Valve is like the greatest thing ever (imo), I'll keep that in mind. Your avatar reminded me, btw. 

@KaosAngel said:
" How is PGR5 coming out when the company is dead? "
Rumor has it that Microsoft is looking for a new dev, and that it will probably be Turn 10. 

@ch13696 said:
" @cjmabry said:
" @Rhaknar said:
I've felt the same, but besides Gears of War 3, I still can't figure out why I should buy another Xbox 360. My Elite keeps red ringing so now I just buy all my games on the PS3 or PC. "
Same here. 
DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By DanielJW

I'm pretty stoked that I own a PS3, though I'll probably only end up with two or so of those games. Leaning towards Uncharted 3 and Little Big Planet 2. inFAMOUS 2 seems like a Christmas thing. Agent intrigues me, though I know next to nothing about it.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ch13696
@somejerk said:
"Get a Slim, forget about a fat PS3, they are ticking timebombs heading towards YLODs. "
Not completely true. I still have my launch PS3 still running perfect like I just bought it yesterday.
TheSmashing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TheSmashing
@ch13696 said:
" @somejerk said:
"Get a Slim, forget about a fat PS3, they are ticking timebombs heading towards YLODs. "
Not completely true. I still have my launch PS3 still running perfect like I just bought it yesterday. "
Same here.
cjmabry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By cjmabry
@SmashingTimes said:
" @ch13696 said:
" @somejerk said:
Not completely true. I still have my launch PS3 still running perfect like I just bought it yesterday. "
Same here. "
I can vouch for this, as my brother's phatty is still chugging along. 
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By KaosAngel

At the end though, from a business perspective, PS3 users just don't buy games.  Gears 3 will outsell everyone of those games.  So what's better at the end?   More sales or a more diverse catalog?   

Hell, the two top selling PS3 exclusives are both Gran Turismo 5 products.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#21  Edited By ThePickle

Agent in 2011 seems a little too hopeful. We haven't heard anything from that game in awhile. 

zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By zero_

I'm pretty sure 2011 is the year of the rabbit.

cjmabry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By cjmabry
 @HandsomeDevil said:
" Agent in 2011 seems a little too hopeful. We haven't heard anything from that game in awhile.  "

Woops. Meant to put a star by that one. 
@Zero_ said:

" I'm pretty sure 2011 is the year of the rabbit. "

Touché.
l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By l4wd0g

PS3 has a very strong first party  lineup. That having been said, Sony has shown their hand, and Microsoft has said next to nothing about 2011. Regardless. It's a good year to be a gamer.

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By davidwitten22

I feel like there are going to be so many good multi-plat games that everyone will be happy. I just want Uncharted 3. Other than that, I'm content with Starcraft 2.

Avatar image for superwristbands
SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SuperWristBands

Uncharted 3, Killzone 3, and Resistance 3 in the same year? If Sony is smart they will push one or more of those into next year. No use competing with themselves. At least thats how I feel.

Has Ninokuni even been announced for the West? And Sorcery... really? Oh well.

I look forward to the Shadow of the Colossus and Ico Collection, MotorStorm, Uncharted 3 and this PGR5 that I had not even heard a thing about before.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Dan_CiTi

Ni No Kuni, The Last Guardian, Resistance 3, Uncharted 3, Gears 3, Yakuza 4, and LittleBigPlanet 2 are really the only games up there that I am interested in really playing(maybe a few others). Most of those are PS3 only games so...I guess the PS3 "wins" this year. And I'm getting ME2 for PS3(rented it for 360 last year) and MvC3 for PS3 too(might get the 360 version down the line too if needed). 

zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By zero_
@Sasran said:
" Uncharted 3, Killzone 3, and Resistance 3 in the same year? If Sony is smart they will push one or more of those into next year. No use competing with themselves. At least thats how I feel.  Has Ninokuni even been announced for the West? And Sorcery... really? Oh well.  I look forward to the Shadow of the Colossus and Ico Collection, MotorStorm, Uncharted 3 and this PGR5 that I had not even heard a thing about before. "
I think all three Uncharted 3, Killzone 3 and Resistance 3 spaced months apart - Killzone 3 is Feb 22nd, Resistance 3 is planned for Sept 6th and Uncharted 3 is Nov 1st, so they're spacing out their exclusives pretty well (Plus LBP2 in January!)
Turducken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29  Edited By Turducken
@Rhaknar said:
" @cjmabry said:
" @Rhaknar said:
if you want a serious anwser, what are you looking for? "year of the" exclusive games wise? than the ps3 has been the best compared to the 360 for a long time now.  

It has?  When was this?  Because, frankly, my Xbox gets a lot more playtime with exclusives then my PS3.  Things like Mass Effect 2, Halo: Reach, Fable III, Alan Wake, Splinter Cell: Conviction, and Crackdown 2 got tons of playtime for me.  The PS3... well, there was God of War III.  Every other game for the PS3 was either a cross-platform game (where Xbox Live is far superior online than PSN) or a disappointment to me (GT5 was worse than Forza 3, even after taking FOREVER, and Heavy Rain, while interesting, was not FUN - in my opinion).  PS3 may have MORE exclusives each year, but the Xbox has more GOOD exclusives. 

Also, I bet that MS is waiting until CES next week to drop the "exclusives" bomb and detail all the exclusives they haven't mentioned yet (probably because they are mostly new IPs, and they don't want to overhype them in case they don't turn out well).  Plus, due to the vast superiority of XBL, the Xbox garners far more attention from cross-platform games, meaning that exclusives aren't necessary to push the Xbox like they are the PS3.
Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Vorbis

Last year wasn't great for the PS3 in terms of exclusives, but indeed this year is looking more like 2009, maybe even better.  

Also my launch PS3 has never had any issues.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31  Edited By Ghostiet
@Sasran said:
" Uncharted 3, Killzone 3, and Resistance 3 in the same year? If Sony is smart they will push one or more of those into next year. No use competing with themselves. At least thats how I feel. "

Why? They aren't even competing in the same timeslots - Killzone 3 comes out around March, Uncharted 3 has the set date 11-1-11 and Resistance 3 is a summer release.
PokeIkzai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By PokeIkzai

I hope we get some good things but honestly who cares at this point. Almost every good game is multiplatform.  Two of my three most anticipated games are multiplatform. (Mass Effect 2 and You Don't Know Jack)

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#33  Edited By Castiel
@KaosAngel said:

" At the end though, from a business perspective, PS3 users just don't buy games.  Gears 3 will outsell everyone of those games.  So what's better at the end?   More sales or a more diverse catalog?    Hell, the two top selling PS3 exclusives are both Gran Turismo 5 products. "

Well for me being the customer and not the suit I obviously would say that a more diverse catalog is better than fewer games with more sells. Who cares if Infamous didn't sell as much as Gran Turismo 5, as long as they still sell enough copies to justify a sequel I'm happy. Don't forget that PS3 also gets ME2 and 3 this year + a far superior version of Dead Space 2. So yeah 2011 is definitely the year of the Playstation 3.
s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#34  Edited By s-a-n-JR

PS3's lineup next year is incredible, my wallet is gonna be hurtin.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@KaosAngel said:

"So what's better at the end?   More sales or a more diverse catalog?"  

Multi-platform games have been selling really well on the PS, so I don't really get the first part of your argument. My reply to the part I've quoted? Well, as an owner I'll always say a diverse catalogue is pretty fucking important. 

Not that I particularly buy into this, but EA CEO John R. recently said PS3 will overtake 360 sales shortly, and goes on to discuss the brands abject failure in Japan and lack of worth outside the United States. Thought it was worth noting since you've discussed sales with regard to the rest of the world and how "unimportant" they are frequently. As a jaded-360 owner, my opinion is skewed, but it's still important to note.

@Rhaknar said:

...and they were right for the last 2 of them :)
EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36  Edited By EuanDewar

Thats certainly a very impressive lineup for the PS3 although im not entire interested in the second half of that list. I'd also wager there are quite a few 360 exclusves for 2011 yet to be announced. Still, good list.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By DystopiaX
@cjmabry: It's been like this for several years. They've said for the past 2 years now in the GOTY discussion that exclusives were never the 360's strengths, but that a lot of the multiplatform games tend to be better/made for 360 primarily (bayonetta comes to mind). idk...I play 360 more b/c all my friends have one, but a lot of the ps3 exclusives are nice. As for the lineup, I think it's as good/maybe a bit better than the 09 lineup, which was the strongest yet imo. The thing is, a lot of the 09 games were new franchises (LBP, inFamous), or games that hadn't appeared in a while (killzone), whereas your list looks like a lot of sequels/sequels to those games (infamous 2, Uncharted 3, etc.)
Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38  Edited By Nictel

Multi-platform wins.

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By YoThatLimp
@KaosAngel said:
" Every year is the year of the PS3. "
No, seriously guys, ps3 is going to mop up this year!!!!11
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By toowalrus

What the fuck, I though 2009 was the year of the PS3?

Monte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Monte

I feel like this is said every year

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By FritzDude

2011 will be a great year for games and gamers in general. And that's a true fact.

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By warxsnake

Hopefully you are right, my launch PS3 has turned into nothing more than a bookend and occasional bluray player while I play on PC.

wwfundertaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 25

#44  Edited By wwfundertaker

2011 the year of the multi-platform/

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#45  Edited By Video_Game_King

I'm guessing that either Microsoft has some games up their sleeves, or some of those games will be pushed back a bit.

C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#46  Edited By C0V3RT

I don't think it's any secret that Microsoft's exclusives are the consoles weak link...

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By imsh_pl

2011 the year of GAMING

Fixed.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By imsh_pl
AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By AlexW00d

I hope Microsoft announces something incredible because my 360 just sits on my shelf gaining dust and being an overall eye sore.

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I play most multiplatform games that isn't available (or suited) for PC on my 360, so it'll even out for me.
Today is also the first day in almost 10 months that I'll be turning on my PS3, just got Demon's Souls :D