Did you like Mr. X in the Resident Evil 2 Remake?

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Did you like Mr. X in the Resident Evil 2 Remake? (153 votes)

Yes! It was tense and exciting and really enhanced the game! 50%
No! I found it to be nerve-wracking and took away from my overall enjoyment of the game. 15%
The middle! It is a great idea that I liked, but I also thought aspects were disappointing. 24%
Another answer! 11%

Hey all! In the RE3 Remake thread, there has been a lot of talk about Mr. X, and a lot of people discussing if it was something they liked or disliked, and variations of "unpopular opinion" have been thrown around enough that I thought a poll would be interesting! Feel free to post and add to your answer if you like, or give select option 4 and put in something different altogether! I tried to be as general as possible with the 3 choices I provided.

Personally, I'm choice three...I liked it and found it terrifying in a good way at first, but found it wore thin for me and became more of a distracting and sometimes frustrating nuisance rather than something truly scary.

• 
clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

I'd say it definitely made the game better and there are some nice stuff later on in the game. Maybe this is something that just always happens in Leon's play through, but I saw this during my 2nd run. When Mr. X randomly busts through a hallway wall was a pretty good late game moment.

Kind of the thing that got to me was when I tried to go to one area of the map, only to have Mr. X show up, so I run away and try to circle around / lose him somewhere, only to get back to that one area of the map again, only to run into Mr. X again. After a certain point I realized that you can edge him into throwing a punch and then running past him after that.

I wouldn't want this, but if a Mr. X type enemy had projectiles or could run or something would make it more engaging from a gameplay perspective. I wouldn't change it though. There's just only so much mileage you get out of an enemy like that.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

I lean the 1st choice but recognized it's limitations.

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Surprised for the Mr. X love, i enjoyed the hell of our re2 remake, but every second of Mr. X was bad for me. Reminded me of my least favorite thing in horror gaming, which is the hide in a locker shit from Outlast. Alien Isolation, etc

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

The very idea of Mr. X is why I haven’t bothered with RE2, yet. I considered buying it for $19 last night, but that dude sounds annoying.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

As someone who loves exploring every nook and cranny, admiring graphics and generally just really absorbing games, Mr. X made the game lesser while he was present. I understand why he's there; he adds mid/late game urgency in a game where you can mostly take your time in, I just didn't think it needed that.

There's also not much meaningful interaction with him. You just kinda...run past him. Spending resources outside of flashbangs or the occasional acid grenade on him is pointless because he's not THAT much of a threat, really. Most of the time he just ends up looking like a dope, whiffing haymakers while you jog slowly past him.

Nemesis is the Mr. X concept done right. He's much more terrifying than Mr. X. He's a real threat, much faster and isn't limited to just melee. On harder modes you are really incentivized to actually down him because he drops very good loot. He's the focus of the game, and they put a lot more thought into his design & mechanics than Mr. X.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

It does a good job ramping up tension, but I hated the stress it caused.

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nutter: the game is still fantastic despite Mr.X, I hated him and still recommend

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I'm somewhere in the middle but skew toward "yes." Reposting what I'd written yesterday in another thread:

I don't think the Mr. X stuff itself was bad, but in my experience it pointed a serious floodlamp at the other parts of the Resident Evil 2 remake I didn't like at all. Things like:

• Dynamic health values between like enemies. Sometimes zombies took two shots to down. Sometimes more than ten. It always felt to me like the game reacting artificially to my playstyle. If I had bullets to spare from evasive play, zombies were much, much more resilient. And in the midst of being chased by an unkillable juggernaut, that mechanic made the experience really tiring.
  • The HUGE "hitbox" zombies have. Like, holy shit, they can grab you from miles away. Again, when sprinting away from a killing machine, feeling like the other enemies were unavoidable made things more frustrating than they probably should've been.

So, I don't know. There was legitimate pushback against the way Mr. X was used. And while I had problems with it, I didn't ultimately feel like it was overwhelming. He operated under a pretty limiting ruleset, despite how pervasive he seemed, and Capcom sprinkled just enough Mr. X into the game without going completely overboard.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

I put off RE2 until it was on sale primarily because the Mr. X sections of the B campaigns were by far my least favorite parts of the original game, and I put the remake down the moment he stepped out from behind the helicopter. Mr. X was the reason I never played Nemesis, and will continue to not do so next April. Same with Resident Evil 7, never even considered touching it because of the dad character.

I get stressed out during the end of missions in Destiny, Horizon or Fallen Order where you have to sprint away from the camera while a bunch of chaos goes on behind you that'll essentially damage you just enough to tell a story without actually threatening to kill you. For me, that's absolutely too much; the only reason I could ever survive the shark scene in the original Resident Evil was its self-contained nature.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I saw someone else play the game and get annoyed at having to stop trying to make progress in order to run away for ages, i knew it would annoy me so i modded him out of the game, don't feel like i missed anything.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Efesell

No, but less nerves and more "persistent enemies that hunt you" is a trash mechanic.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I've bounced off that game before I could get to that point lol.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@sahalarious: If I get through a significant chunk of Plague Tale and Judgment by the holidays, I’ll keep an eye out for digital sales.

I have a mixed history with RE, but this 2 remake seems alright.

stickdutra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really made the game for me, just for the fear of that huge monster showing up!

Twiggy199

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Twiggy199

I'm not really a player of horror games, but, I am a fan. I find them to overbearing to play. The scariest games I played before this were Alan Wake and Until Dawn, I know, not scary at all. I was a nervous wreck when I heard him coming, but as i got used to him he became quite an annoyance, luckily he didn't stick around for long enough for me to hate him. So yeah, I'm in the middle.

jamesyfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed it when I first encountered it, but after a while it began to tire. As I like exploring at my own pace... I ended up using a cheat to make him stop moving.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

I did. It was a nice way to change up the pace of the gameplay. The game as a whole does a good job of staying fresh throughout, but Mr. X is the most obvious way in which they change the formula, just in a time when the game needed it (at least in the A scenarios).

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

I for one love the pressure it puts on you at that point in the game. Even if you down him a handful of times you'll likely still be swimming in resources depending on how much exploring you do, or at least I was. Worth pointing out that he's far more prevalent in Leon's campaign than in Claire's so I guess I'm glad I played as her first. It might have seemed like a bigger deal if it was a longer game. This isn't a completely original gag but I like to think of him as a tall detective come to arrest you for your crimes against zombie kind.

NeoCalypso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Honestly my biggest(and only real)complaint about RE2 was how they made him into a thing for your first playthrough instead of making him a B campaign thing only like in the original. With him in both it takes a lot of the variety and excitement the second run had. Now that second run is kinda just more of the same

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly, I'd rather have two Mr. Xs and no Lickers.

JamesZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By JamesZ

@sahalarious: I'm in total agreement. For whatever reason, this sort of thing just doesn't work for me anymore. It's not scary to me, just annoying. I weirdly find it more intimidating and frightening when I'm expected to fight and beat a monster instead. It used to be novel and terrifying, but too many Amnesia and Amnesia-likes just broke the mechanic for me.

big_denim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

I'm in the 'no' camp. Not because it made me nervous but because it was just tedious and annoying. I didn't find it scary or tense. It was easy to run away. It just prevented me from poking around the gorgeous mansion as much as I would have liked.

fauxical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can see how people would get nervous but it never seemed like too much of an issue. If you can listen to his footsteps and just walk and not fire your gun like a maniac it doesn't disturb him.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@inevpatoria: Don't forget that zombies never actually died unless you spent your valuable shotgun/magnum ammo on them! No arms, no legs, they could still come to life and chomp you. Sure, you had guns, but there was very rarely strategic value in putting a zombie down, since it was just setting a potential trap for yourself.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@the_nubster: Sorry, I'm not clear on what you're saying.

I feel like zombies were absolutely dying to petty handgun rounds. For some it took three shots, for others it took, I don't know, twenty. Sometimes you'd get the "head explosion" critical hit, but I seem to remember zombies being dispatched regardless.

By the end I generally found it a waste of ammo to even engage zombies directly unless they were an immediate barricade in your path. But I never doubted the fact that I could, indeed, kill them.

Not sure I'm making sense here.

JoeDangerous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What an amazing inclusion. When he appeared I was stressed to all hell and back, but I also got some of my more clutch and fun moments out of the game for it. Don't be afraid to be pushed to your limits.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@inevpatoria: They would die, but their corpses would stay on the ground and could reanimate seemingly randomly down the line. The only way to guarantee they wouldn't get back up was to get a critical headshot (which barely happened), or to use precious shotgun/magnum rounds.

vikingdeath1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As someone who doesn't play many horror games solely because I am a big scaredy cat who is spooked easily: Mr. X was the Primary and really Only thing stopping me from playing that game. I knew how he worked, I knew exactly when he came into play & when he was no longer a threat, hell I knew how to juke him before I'd even played! But the thought of having an ever-present enemy wandering a large open space with narrow corridors, and any noise you make he can hear and will start heading straight towards you UTTERLY TERRIFIED me.

And then a few weeks ago at Thanksgiving, I bought RE2 on sale, and played through all of Claire A with my sister watching. If I hadn't had a family member nearby to give me moral support I probably would never have played the game at all.

He's a cool enemy and a cool idea!..... but so Spooky...

My current thoughts on RE3 Remake are: I'm definitely not playing it myself, because Nemesis is gonna be TOO SCARY!!! I love horror games/movies, but I just cannot play spooky games most times. Too Spooky! and Mr. X is one of the Spookiest Spooks i'd ever seen!!

What a great game. I screamed like a baby multiple times when he showed up.