Do you care about other people opinions?

• 60 results
Richardqx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Richardqx

... For instance, if you're 25 and play some RPG with Disney characters, or when someone tell you 'how can you spent so much money on a game| on videogames'

Maybe you know that feeling of uncertainty if they are not actually right?

In my case: I always feel a little nervous when buying certain videogame types. For instance, I'd like to buy Star Ocean, but I can't play it than, without hearing c### like it's a childish game... When I bought FF X Hd, my older brother didn't understand how could I spent money on a game with such old graphics and teen-characters O_o

And at times, it was kinda spoiling my excitement of the gameplay and the deep story.

Some people are ignorants. When buying game, it must have top notch graphics and team death match.

Also, I've been laughed that I bought 11 physical disc games in 1 and a 1|2 of a year.

So what? I like buying and playing games. It's non of your business

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

Did you really just call other people "ignorant" because they only buy games with top notch graphics and team deathmatch and then go on to say that the games you like buying and playing are no one's business? I hope you see the irony there.

Richardqx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't mean this. I don't call ignorants people when they buy only top notch graphical games.

I meant, people that don't understand that I like older games as well. People who thinks that a game older than 4 years is not worth playing cause it's not modern.

Been talking bout my brother

The_Greg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You do you.

I only play games where you can murder people. Which is more appropriate?

Richardqx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, I badly expressed myself.

- I don't care what games do you like. I hate when someone tries to tell me what's 'objectively' worth playing and what's not.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

What is your brother playing that’s so great? Sounds like you’re more into gaming them him. He sounds like he might be more of a mainstream/casual player.

I do care what ppl think but not when it comes to what others think about what I play. It shouldn’t dampen your enjoyment of what you play, it’s not liked you’d be able to talk to him about them anyway.

Richardqx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He gives me the chill that I should be ashamed if I buy starocean or persona, because according to him it's #shit, nonsense and it's for kids.

He's been distracting me from things I like many times.

I'm no longer 13 years old, but I still am feeling shame when I play such games. When I am buying a game, I always unwillingly thinking what he'll tell me on this.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By NTM

Um... Your brother sounds kind of mean. How old are you guys? That seems very immature. Stand up for yourself and act confident in the way you do things, and really show excitement and joy for getting to play what you want to play is all I can recommend. Not only that, but just don't let it affect you. Tell your brother 'Dude, just stop. Get over it.' And be on your merry way. There are a few different words that are 'c***', and none would be okay to me or close to something I'd expect one of my brothers actually throwing around when it comes to me buying a game. I can't imagine having a brother being an ass like that, to be honest, even when we were younger and got into much bigger fights, sometimes physical. Brothers shouldn't be like that, but if anyone else was like that, like a stranger or a friend which seems more likely, I'd be like 'fuck off'.

The closest I ever got to this was about ten years ago when a couple of my friends were trying to coax me into going with them to practice for a state test we all had to do in high school, and they both said (at two different times in the day) 'What are you going to do instead? Go home and play the same old games you've already played?' The fact I didn't feel I need to practice it, and that they were saying shit like that was bothersome, and yeah back in high school while I shook my head, I did go practice because there was possibly something there that could help (there wasn't).

The answer to your question though is, no, how people feel about me buying games doesn't affect me, and to be frank, I've never run into anyone that has actually shouted out their opinion negatively about it. I've come to the conclusion that it's better to expect (even if I don't) that most people just play games, and so they mostly don't judge you, at least where I live. My brother and I do sometimes joke with one another when we see each other not playing a game we like or care about, but we're only joking. For instance, I might be playing one game and he walks in and says, 'Oh, that's not [enter title of whatever game he actually wants me to play, most recently Bayonetta], I think you're playing the wrong game. Ha ha.' And then goes on to play something he wants to play on his Vita or Switch or something.

Sometimes I'll say things like 'Oh, that game... Yeahhhh. Remember the time I beat that game? Yeah, it was okay I guess. It could have been better, but not good enough so you should probably stop playing it right now.' Even though I've never even played it (like the Hyperdimension Neptunia games, which he is playing right now). We both know one another is joking about it though, and are never super serious even though it can get annoying since my brother loves to put hours upon hours into some of his RPG's to do absolutely everything which means I have to hear an incessant amount of the same dialogue or music going on. It's not a huge issue though, and I'd never say 'turn that off you cunt/cock!' To be honest, I never even say either of those words, and 'cunt' is probably my least favorite swear word. And, I actually feel hesitant writing it on here. Anyways, the closest I get to it is 'hey, how about you play a game of my choosing' which can actually be fun sometimes if he says yes since it's usually games he may like but isn't something he'd usually play. I chose The Last Guardian last time, which was last Christmas, and he went all the way through it which was fun. I also might just say 'Alright, I want to play soon' and he'll just say 'Okay' which usually comes after him playing for a long time, or me coming home from work.

I do have another brother (they're twins), but he doesn't live with us. He's a little less into playing the assortment of games we like, and in the past, he could be kind of annoying. I remember one time (and by now I feel kind of immature about it), where he would keep saying that because I was playing the Uncharted series, that it's my favorite ever. He'd just keep saying it and it bothered me enough where it actually stressed me out while he was doing it because it felt like character assassination to a degree I remember, and he was doing it in front of others in the family. It's actually kind of embarrassing to me now that I felt like that when all he was trying to do was do what he did, which was get me riled up. He doesn't do stuff like that anymore, or if he does, he knows it doesn't really bother me. He is very competitive though, and since he doesn't have as much time as me to get through games, he does go 'what the fuck?' when I get a game after him and have already completed everything in it. I think he was a little annoyed that he bought Far Cry 5 earlier this year for my brother so they could play co-op, and I did everything in it. I know it's not a ruin his entire day, or even hour kind of thing, but still.

Anyways, sorry for story time which is probably riddled with errors. Just saying, your brother shouldn't act like that. He should act like a brother. Maybe you should try to have your brother play one of your games where he's not making you feel shy or embarrassed about what you're playing, You might need to initiate in trying to have him understand, and on the flip side, you should try playing the games he enjoys.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By nutter

Mostly, I don’t care. I’ll give people crap and take crap all in good fun.

Exceptions:

- Dead or Alive is a fighter I really dig, but it’s...well, Dead or Alive. It smacks of desperation, at least at first blush. I’ve had slight tinges of embarrassment playing.

- I went to buy Viva Piñata when it came out. One look at the cutsey packaging and I called an audible and got something else. I think I went back and got it a week or so later, but that original custom case it came in...nightmarishly cute.

- I find the WWE dumb and cringe-worthy. I like the WWE games as fighting games. I’ve appeared offline or pulled the blinds while playing them. It doesn’t help that loading screens are basically massive WWE logos.

andrewf87462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, I care about the opinion of others, however, I don't let it get to me. Friends of mine have commented on games I've purchased in the past, specifically about the way it looks, if it's not realistic looking etc, but that is just there opinion, which I respect, but doesn't influence me in the slightest.

Ungodly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have guilty pleasures, but I don’t care about what people think. Sometimes I play games that are bad, but there are maybe one or two mechanics that I really get a kick out of. I got Hurule Warriors and Fire Emblem Warriors, and I think they’re both bad, but I’m a fan of both franchises, and they aren’t the worst games.

I’ve been playing games since the first Nintendo, and all the way till the PlayStation 2, people would give you all kind of shit for being a “Gamer”. So I developed a callous to it.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First off Kingdom Hearts is a bad game.

Second, have you ever being to Disneyland?

On a more serious note, i tend to respect the opinions of people i like.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Not when it comes to games no.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

• I'm going to assume that English isn't your primary language because it was kinda hard to understand your posts.
  • You do you. People like different games for different reasons.
  • The only time I really care about someone's opinions is if I value that person's opinions, or if they have valid criticisms of what I'm doing or playing. That doesn't mean that I necessarily care, but if your points are well constructed I'll take it under advisement.
htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I only do what other people think I should do because it greatly increases the chance that I will get a “high five”.

oodli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I care about others opinions, but I try not to let it effect my decisions when I can.

If you feel like you can handle this kind of conversation, talk to your brother about accepting the things you like and not degrading you for it. My brother and I talk about the things we love and it's really fun having someone to share stuff you enjoy.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not at all. Opinions are like assholes. Everybody has one, but you should never hear from it.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By Hamst3r

I think it takes a bit of effort and growth - and just time - to not let the opinions of others skew your enjoyment of things. To like what you like and not feel bad about it. I don't think it's something that comes natural, and I don't think the thoughts ever completely vanish, but with a little work their opinions can hold little to no power over you. I feel like I've mostly arrived at this mindset and find myself enjoying a wider assortment of things these days because of it.

Something you might find worth pondering is the language people use, and the imagery that's dismissed. In your case, things perceived as childish. Other common ones being things perceived as girly or gay. Childish carries with it this connotation of being simple and cheap. Of lacking value and appeal to adults. Of being something you have to grow out of. But is what you're liking really that or is that just a longstanding stigma with such derision being unwarranted? And is this really what they think or are they just reflecting the social norms? It should be of no surprise that people raised in highly-religious households tend to remain religious as adults, for instance. We absorb the opinions and beliefs of those around us, we use their words, and think their thoughts. It's up to you to determine what of that is worth keeping. To determine if you really care, or what it really means to you for something to be, "childish".

Jumping forward a bit, I'm of the opinion that it would benefit them to "get over" their labeling and subsequent avoidance of things more than it would you to "grow up" and stop liking games with Disney characters. That said, your opinions are for you and shouldn't be used as a bludgeon against others. Don't swing your beliefs around in combat, even when others are doing just that. Simply aim to know yourself, accept your beliefs, and feel good about what you like. You don't need their approval to enjoy something.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

About the games I buy and play? Absolutely 100% not. Life in general? Less and less as I get older

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By nutter

@frodobaggins: In some ways, getting old is great.

Learning what to care about and what really doesn’t matter is liberating.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#23  Edited By Tom_omb

When I was 11 I was wondering if I should get a PS or N64. A friend at the time essentially tried to tell me Mario was for babies. I got the N64, played Mario, and it changed the way I played and viewed games. Maybe some of you might say I picked the wrong console, but I had no regrets with my choice, played my favorite games of all time on that machine. A year later that friend and I obsessed over Goldeneye.

My point is closed minded opinions, can lead to missing out on some of the best experiences you can have in games. My tween friend thought games must have realistic graphics, and cartoony Mario wasn't for big boys. People still think that as grown adults, but then miss out on many great experiences.

That doesn't mean I don't care about opinions. How else would I find out what is good to play out there? Just take them as other people's opinions, and weigh them against your own tastes. Don't let people bully you into what you should like. Keep an open mind, even if others are less open to something new.

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By nicksmi56

The gaming industry has proven to me many, many times by now that plenty of people see awesomeness in things that I just don't and vice versa.

For example, the new Spider-Man everyone's itching to play? I think it looks like hot QTE-stuffed garbage. Repackaging The Amazing Spider-Man's gameplay from 2012 and making it look better doesn't excite me, and all the villains in the world don't matter if I'm just watching Spidey fight them instead of doing it myself. You know gaming has gone backwards in some respects when the shiny new 2018 game seems to have less actual gameplay than Ultimate Spider-Man from 2004.

The Last of Us? Super boring, to the point where I dropped it halfway through. Elizabeth from Bioshock Infinite blows Ellie out of the water, and the story was just another zombie story I've seen a billion times. I was absolutely baffled after seeing all the overwhelming praise and cries of "Game of the Generation!" Also, clickers are most definitely not blind. I do want to give it another shot now that I've matured a bit and may be more forgiving of the worse parts of the experience, but I can't say I'm expecting to be blown away.

All this has taught me to just like what I like and let others do the same. My brother plays a bunch of 2K and CoD. I couldn't care less about those games, but hey, he enjoys it so whatever. I'll never be able to convince him to try something like a Metroidvania or JRPG, and I accept that. We just have different tastes because we're different people. Same with the gaming community in general. Hey, guess what? I love plenty of 3D Sonic games more than the classic 2D entries (not that 2D is bad, but I'll gladly take Generations, Colors or Adventure 2 over Sonic 3&K. CD and Mania are better anyway). Most people would probably bite my head off if I tried saying that in a place like IGN. Do I care? Nope.

If someone's trying to belittle you for your interests, that just means that there's a problem with them and their life that they're trying to forget by convincing themselves they're better than others. So if that's the case, who's the real loser? Not you, that's for sure.

cerberus3dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If someone dismisses a game you like on the grounds of refusal to listen to why you like a game, then yes I guess I would care and feel bad about it, especially if it was coming from a person I knew well. I still hold the opinion that if someone likes a game that I don't, I can listen to them and learn to appreciate the positive qualities of the game that they like. Conversely, if someone has dismissed a game that I adore (like Mass Effect of Red Dead Redemption), I do get annoyed if they are reductive or dismissive of those games' positive qualities. It's less 'annoyed' and more a bummed out feeling I suppose. That said, there will always be people who are ignorant of things you care about, and letting yourself worry and get mad about it only effects your mental health. You will never solve the problem of ignorance.

So to OPs problem. If someone says, "how can you spend so much money on video games?" or "Why are playing a childish game?", you can try to explain why you like spending money on video games because of the positive benefits you get from doing so. You can list why the game looks childish but list reasons why you think it is deeper than that. Hopefully, they will agree with you, but if they don't change their opinion, learn to accept their decision, even if you believe it ignorant, and move on.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

#27  Edited By Colonel_Pockets

In this specific case, no. Who the hell cares what they think? Live life how you want to do it.

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

I care about opinions I can empathise with. I can't empathise with ignorance.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Not opinions like that. Forget about em, like what you like.

Ericjasonwade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Try therapy

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Honestly, if someone makes fun of you for enjoying something, they're probably not worth your time.

Mamba219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Mamba219

Certain people's. No one on the Internet.

My advice: treat what you enjoy like you treat your porn. Watch/play/read what you like, and pretend like no one else exists.

norm9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes. Do I care enough to change? No.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#38  Edited By BaneFireLord

Depends. Sometimes other people's opinions can give me new perspectives on things I never would have otherwise considered, so I try to be receptive to some degree. Unfortunately, the bulk of opinions in internet conversations (particularly around video games) are not exactly insightful. While I try not to care, coming across ad hominem attacks (e.g. "Anyone who likes [insert game here] is a fucking moron") or super smarmy reductive takes on games I enjoy (which, as a longtime fan of Assassin's Creed, Elder Scrolls, and modern Fallout, is a realllllly common occurrence) still grinds my gears a fair bit. Never enough to actually goad me into responding or enjoy the games less, but definitely enough to be annoying.

If we're talking about critical receptions, I'm more likely to buy a game that gets a 92 Metacritic than a 62, so I guess that probably counts as caring about other people's opinions as well.

On topic, OP: It's only human to feel hurt by that sort of "criticism", especially if it's a family member and especially if your tastes in things haven't quite solidified yet (I'm also in my mid-20s and have only just recently had my gaming tastes really begin to settle down). But you clearly enjoy these games a lot (to have bought so many of them), so letting those opinions get to you to the point that you stop playing those games would be a disservice both to your demonstrated passions and your wallet. If it's just causing misery, spend less time talking to your brother (and other people) about the games you like and more time playing the games you like.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

People can make you feel small for shit. Sometimes it is worth listening to. But I have learned that the more inclined they are to do so, the more there may be another problem showing itself.

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Nah, screw everyone else, only my opinion matters!

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb014b65074f
deactivated-5bb014b65074f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I care way too much about what other people think of me, it used to cripple me. I'm now just starting to get past it, but it's kinda hard to do.

"Those who mind, don't matter. And those who matter, don't mind." Is hard to live by, but worth it.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kingdom Hearts is awesome, fuck everybody

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

In person: I'll hold some things back depending on who I'm talking to for the sake of being somewhat of an approachable person.

On the internet: If you Google search my name with quotes, some NSFW material might show up; mainly of the naked cartoon pussy variety given my anime related hobbies.

n00bs7ay3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do not miss being a kid. All I can say is do what you enjoy. When you grow up it won't be an issue.

HarbinLights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Childish things are great and people, particularly adults, are all jaded, terrible people. Tainted and ruined by the world and society. The longer you live, the more tainted you become.

Give into misanthropy like I have. :D

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Gaming culture is naturally toxic, I wouldn't take any heat from people proclaiming to be 'hardcore' and calling others 'not proper gamers (I despise the word gamers)' just laugh and move on.

TopCat88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I scrolled past this thread, but then I realised that because of that I should probably come back and say: 'No'

8BitAvrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope, not from most people. There are only a few people that I generally care about their opinions towards me.