Do you work on your gaming blind spots?

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

#1  Edited By liquiddragon

If so, what'd you play, what's your hot take?

I'm thinking from the PS2 era or older but I guess last gen works too. I try to fill some of my blind spots every year, which has the added benefit of most likely chipping away at the backlog but also just a fun thing to do for me. A game can be considered "essential" or stay in the collective consciousness for many reasons, good or bad. There are some games or series that just get brought up no matter how far passed we are from them and I hate when I chime in by just repeating what I heard or read about them. It feels much better when you've played it and can speak about it from 1st hand experience. But again, it's also just fun to get to something that flew by you or you just couldn't afford at the time. Every year I tackle about 2-3 of these but this year has been especially productive.

I'm currently making my way through Kingdom Hearts though I'm not sure where I stand on it yet. For now, I think the game is a title with big swings, giant, massive swings. I literally go from hating it to really liking it to hating it again and that seems to happen every session.

I won't list them all but some of the highlights for this year include:

God Hand - I guess it doesn't get brought up that often but when it gets mentioned, it's always in a hushed tone and yup, it's very good. I wish people would stop calling games hard if it's good 'cause it drives more people away than brings in. This game is a fun challenge and all the levels are so short, the amount of progress you lose when you die is minuscule. It's one of those games that sets out to do just a couple things very well and it does it in a very unique fashion. Definitely recommend it!

Alpha Protocol - I doubt it's essential in many circles but I happen to be in one of those circles, Giant Bomb. lol This game is fun as hell. I had such a good time with this game but it is jacked. Whenever someone here mentioned Alpha Protocol, I always thought they were clowning and I still think they kinda are but they're also kinda not. At the end of the day, a fun game is a fun game.

Out of this World - Didn't know about this game until I saw it once on a UPF and it fucking blew my mind. Playing through it this year, it was kinda like Kingdom Hearts, big swings. Overall, it's an amazing game, just real frustrating in spots. But wow, can't believe they made this that long ago.

I've played some other big ones but I wanna hear what you've played and how you felt about them.

hans_maulwurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Last year I played a bunch of revered games from years past, though I didn't specifically "make a point" to do so. I played Persona 4, Last of us, the Shantae games, the Borderlands games...LOVED all of them. With the exception of tlou they also were my first real exposure to their respective genres (jrpg/metroidvania/loot shooter) and I'm glad I could expand my horizon in that regard.

I haven't been quite as "productive" this year. While I have yet to play a 2017 game, the games I did play were mostly just 2016 games I didn't get to last year. I do have Persona 3 ready to play on my ps3, so maybe that'll be "the one" this year.

As someone who praises Alpha Protocol whenever possible: that is a weird one. It doesn't have great graphics, tight gameplay, a memorable soundtrack, good level design or even an inspired story. Yet I played through it like 7 or 8 times by now, including once this year, and it's one of my all time favorite games. Because it's doing some really special things with its interlocking systems that permeate all parts of the game, the dialogues, the character relationships, the reputation mechanics etc. ... really special stuff no other game has done yet in such an accomplished way.

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I try to play any of the best game of the year nominees, but sometimes there's a reason I missed a game. Hated Doom, dishonored, and shadow of mordor. Went back to give Firewatch a go, and ended up lovnig it. Took a cue from that and downloaded undertale....my god that game is NOT my thing. Thought the writing was abysmal, the 16-bit graphics are fine, but the colors were very muted and the environments very bland. Saw what it was going for but it was such a chore to play that I decided to stop. I'd be interested to see what kind of lists people have for their missed games, could be a great source of new games to play.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

@liquiddragon: Yeah I do this a lot, honestly most of what I play is oldish. Although the majority is 2-5 years old -ish. Most of those probably don't qualify using your criteria. But as an enthusiast I love seeing all the crazy unique games out there and understanding firsthand why they are loved

Never played God Hand but yeah that is the exact kinda game I like to see for myself.

That's kinda the point of this list I made recently

https://www.giantbomb.com/profile/slag/lists/holes-in-the-gaming-resume/359931/

a good ole kick in the pants to myself prioritize to fill some of the knowledge gaps.

Usually Try to knock a handful out each year.

Some of the highlights from this year

• Super Metroid- An embarassing hole in my gaming resume. I've certainly had ample opportunities to play SM, just never actually did it till now. The Metroid Prime 4 announcement got me off my butt to do it. Absolutely incredible how well this game holds up. I'm not sure if it's a function of how little the relatively dormant Metroidvania subgenre has been until recently or a function of its impeccable design or both, but this game feels like it would be incredibly well received today too. Not sure I've played any game that has aged as well as SM. Definitely deservedly one of the greatest games of all time.
  • Spec Ops: The Line- A lot of games could learn some storytelling tricks from this one. Eventhough it's heavily inspired by Heart of Darkness, it's impressive that sort of blatant borrowing is a vast improvement over most traditional game story telling. Not to mention the cutscene cinematography. Not enough people mention that, but the cutscenes are Hollywood level of quality in their direction. Makes me sad how many series have gone Open World, stories this powerful are only possible through Linear design imo. Not everything has to be GTA.
  • 999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors. - Definitely one of the best Visual Novels I've played. Has the right mix of gameplay to story and the mystery is compelling enough that I wanted to see it through to the real end.
  • Burnout: Paradise - Not sure who thought to make Crashing fun, but it's a brilliant solution to Racing games biggest problem imo. Don't know how much I'll play, since Racing games don't hold my attention for long anymore, but I had a lot of fun with the multiplayer.

And Last year

• Mega Man X -Totally get why people love those games so much, honestly they hold much better mechanically than OG Mega Man.
  • Mass Effect 1- I'd absolutely love to play a remaster of this game. Easily can why for a time Mass Effect seemed like the perfect fusion of RPG and Action.
  • Advance Wars: Dual Strike: I've played a bunch of AW games but never the one considered the best. Unsurprisingly it's good, real good.
  • Uncharted 1- killed my PS3 in the process but wasn't off to a good start with me. Combat was bad and it was hard to parse stuff out of the environment.
  • Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins - I didn't think it was that good. But for an oldschool Gameboy game it has to be one of the best. Most of those seem horrible by today's standards and didn't seem that great back then.
  • Metroid II: Return of Samus - I've tried a number of times to get into Metroid over the years, but my stubborness to play the first one first keeps getting in the way. Got this for free from Nintendo and then AM2R also came out, and loved them both. Now I'm in love with the franchise like I always thought i would be, and it got me to get off my butt and play Super Metroid this year. I'll get around to Metroid 1 or Zero Mission before too long.
  • Day of the Tentacle- Was not impressed by this one. Maybe I've just played too many Tim Schafer adventure games, but it seemed like another one of those. Which is good, great even, but not as amazing as its hyped up to be (to me at least). Probably felt a lot better at the time, just a victim of high expectations from me.
  • Maniac Mansion- Now Maniac Mansion otoh has an incredibly unique gameplay system. It's almost like an adventure game roguelike. It's so old that many things don't hold very well, but the core conceit is so good I'd love to see someone try to revive this kind of game.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slag: That's a pretty nice spread man. Out of those, I've only played Spec Ops, Burnout, Mass Effect, and Uncharted. I better play Super Metroid sooner rather than later before I get exposed as a complete fraud. lol The only Metroid I've played is Prime 1 a few years ago and I freaking love that game so I am looking forward to playing Super. The only excuse I have is that I didn't grow up with a SNES so I'm actually putting together a SNES games list to plow through, which the only problem is trying to condense it down to a manageable size.

Sorry about your PS3. Drake's Fortune I played a little before U2 came out so I have some fondest for it and can get some pleasure out of going back to it but yeah, I can't really see anyone getting that much out of it playing it for the 1st time nowadays. Did your PS3's disc drive die or did you get the yellow light?

Looking at your Resume Hole, it's funny how some "essential" games I would tell most people, without hesitation, to avoid but at the same time, someone like yourself kinda should find out and decide on your own. The one that really sticks out to me personally is Halo 2 'cause it was one of those games that taught me my taste just doesn't line up with others sometimes, even if I bought it based on a reviewer I trusted. Do you find making a list like this helps you? Ever since I started working on my blind spots, one of the 1st thing I realized was that my blind spots' much bigger than my pool of knowledge. Making a list like this would kinda paralyze me and I wouldn't know where to start. I got rid of my backlog list for the same reason. Now, I just gut check what I'm feeling next after I knock one down.

Playing more recent games past their release window, away from the hype and conversation is great 'cause 1, you can probably get it for cheaper and 2, allows one to assist them with a bit more clarity but I find it a bit different from playing games that are a bit older. While I try to get away from the talk surrounding the game for the ones more recent, for older games, I actually try to put them in context, remember what people were saying, what was happening around the game's release, and what other games were it's contemporaries 'cause this far away, those things don't have that much impact on my enjoyment or judgement of the game, they almost just serve as fun trivia.

But I think maybe the reason I try to draw an arbitrary line is 'cause we actually don't know what will become an "essential game". I think the super big ones like Witcher 3 seems like it'll be able to stay in the conversation for a long time to come but it's rather hard to say what will be God Hand or Spec Ops: The Line. I played Spec Ops, I think, a year into its release and I would've never guessed it'd get mentioned in 2017. There were just so many 3rd person cover shooters during that time and yeah, people were talking up how it did story but people talk up things all the time, the question is will they talk it up 5, 10 years from now? Who knows.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By liquiddragon

@kingbonesaw: Nice, that's cool too. I try to replay couple games a year as well. I feel kinda bad when it's something not that old 'cause I could totally be playing something else but it's great to go back to something I hadn't touch in forever and rediscover moments you had completely forgotten. Went back to Max Payne 1 & 2 this year and I didn't remember so much of 1 and gained a new appreciation for 2.

And you know what, I'm not ready to give Matt the privilege of attaching his name on that game, he didn't even manage to get one cute puppy in it anywhere! Boo...

BrunoTheThird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This year and next year I'm dedicating 90% of my gaming time to classics I never finished or started. Top of the list are:

• Eternal Darkness
  • Final Fantasy VI
  • Wind Waker
  • Mario 64
  • Super Metroid
  • Pokemon Leaf Green/Fire Red - just finished this. I found a Nintendo Power review of the first Pokemon game. They gave it 7.2. My god.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not on purpose, but in the case of the SNES Classic I guess I'm mostly buying it to go through all those games for the first time in the hopes the novelty system will make me appreciate them more. Y'know, instead of playing FFVI on a PS3 controller/keyboard.

Otherwise no, it's not something I make a point of doing.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slag: That's a pretty nice spread man. Out of those, I've only played Spec Ops, Burnout, Mass Effect, and Uncharted. I better play Super Metroid sooner rather than later before I get exposed as a complete fraud. lol The only Metroid I've played is Prime 1 a few years ago and I freaking love that game so I am looking forward to playing Super. The only excuse I have is that I didn't grow up with a SNES so I'm actually putting together a SNES games list to plow through, which the only problem is trying to condense it down to a manageable size.

Sorry about your PS3. Drake's Fortune I played a little before U2 came out so I have some fondest for it and can get some pleasure out of going back to it but yeah, I can't really see anyone getting that much out of it playing it for the 1st time nowadays. Did your PS3's disc drive die or did you get the yellow light?

Looking at your Resume Hole, it's funny how some "essential" games I would tell most people, without hesitation, to avoid but at the same time, someone like yourself kinda should find out and decide on your own. The one that really sticks out to me personally is Halo 2 'cause it was one of those games that taught me my taste just doesn't line up with others sometimes, even if I bought it based on a reviewer I trusted. Do you find making a list like this helps you? Ever since I started working on my blind spots, one of the 1st thing I realized was that my blind spots' much bigger than my pool of knowledge. Making a list like this would kinda paralyze me and I wouldn't know where to start. I got rid of my backlog list for the same reason. Now, I just gut check what I'm feeling next after I knock one down.

Playing more recent games past their release window, away from the hype and conversation is great 'cause 1, you can probably get it for cheaper and 2, allows one to assist them with a bit more clarity but I find it a bit different from playing games that are a bit older. While I try to get away from the talk surrounding the game for the ones more recent, for older games, I actually try to put them in context, remember what people were saying, what was happening around the game's release, and what other games were it's contemporaries 'cause this far away, those things don't have that much impact on my enjoyment or judgement of the game, they almost just serve as fun trivia.

But I think maybe the reason I try to draw an arbitrary line is 'cause we actually don't know what will become an "essential game". I think the super big ones like Witcher 3 seems like it'll be able to stay in the conversation for a long time to come but it's rather hard to say what will be God Hand or Spec Ops: The Line. I played Spec Ops, I think, a year into its release and I would've never guessed it'd get mentioned in 2017. There were just so many 3rd person cover shooters during that time and yeah, people were talking up how it did story but people talk up things all the time, the question is will they talk it up 5, 10 years from now? Who knows.

hey man, sorry for taking so long to get back to you. I had a lengthy reply written up and accidentally erased it. :(

Don't feel bad about Super Metroid man, It's a great game that deserves all the praise it gets. However unless you are an old timer like me I think it's impossible to have hit all the high watermarks from every given era just due to opportunity. So don't hold yourself to an impossible standard. As for me I have no excuse, I could have and should have played SM decades ago as I did grow up with a SNES (and a NES before that)... My own stubbornness got in my way. I wanted to beat the original Metroid first so I could do the series in order and never did. Last year I allowed myself to play Metroid II because of AM2R and This year I just said eff it I'll play Super, when Metroid Prime 4 was announced I figured I better start catching up on this series now. But yeah it's a blast man, worthy of your time. If you feel the urge, just play it. Don't be like me and think yourself into a mental trap.

Besides you banged out 3 yourself I'd like to get to myself. Can't play them all you know?

Disc Drive bit it on my PS3. I think I might be able to fix it, but haven't been motivated to do it. It's an old Phat launch Ps3, so it's got my FF Xii and GTA: vice city PS2 saves on it, so I'm going to have to do some weird stuff to preserve those saves if things look bad.

I'll address the resume thing at the end since I have pretty lengthy answer there

Given the choice I'd probably prefer to play the games during when the hype is fresh, just because it is fun to be part of the conversation so to speak. Then you don't have to worry about ducking the talk either. I do miss some things of the pre-internet days where you could pick up tips and such from friends from school and whatnot. But the cost savings and practicality of playing games later just makes too much sense not to do it today. You save so much money, get to play so much more and what you do play is usually already been patched into its best state. Games like Hitman worry me a bit as I hope single player games dependent on online servers isn't out future. I don't replay games much but I still would really hate for my games to die.

As for what constitutes a special game, I think I generally know one when I see one. At least for me what I personally consider to be special games. I pay close enough attention to releases and whatnot about the only things that surprise me is occasionally an indie game that I wasn't previously aware of. While I try to avoid spoiler level details, surface level chatter often gives enough decent clues as to whether or not there's something there. Now I'm sure Spec Ops isn't a game that gets talked about a lot these days, but I could tell right away from the chatter when it released that it was going to be interesting. And if you bring it up to people, it definitely evokes a reaction. For a similar game from this year I bet will fit kinda the same bill, I think Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice is probably of a similar ilk. Not going to raise a lot of attention in the mainstream Madden/CoD crowd, but in enthusiast circles I bet it ends up being considered a noteworthy game that makes you think about games a bit differently than you otherwise might. That's my impression anyway, haven't played it yet so we'll see But it caught my attention the same way SpecOps did.

now for the very longwinded part and I'll put this behind a spoiler block so I don't hog the whole page here. To answer your question about whether not the Resume list helps me..

So as for my thinking on the Resume list and my numerous lists is that personally I benefit from having some structure to how I approach this hobby. Because if I don't have it, it can become paralyzing and overwhelming to where I end up playing nothing at all. I didn't use to need it, but that was because I didn't use to be able to afford buying dozens of games. And there was also considerably fewer games each year that were interesting than there are now. Back in the day I'd get probably less than 10 games a year and beyond that I'd rent or borrow whatever I wanted to play. It was just too expensive to do more than that. So I had external factors that limited my choices and made decisions easier. But nowadays with inexpensive used games and even cheaper humble bundles and such, it's easy to build an insurmountable backlog.

That quickly happened to me when I got back into the hobby after several years being largely inactive. I realized I was burning myself out again by taking on too much too quickly, so I decided to try to put myself in a situation where I felt better.

I've identified three phases where my decision making starts to break down and have some practices that help me personally de-stress and make quicker decisions.

• The first is purchasing- what got me into this mess was I was buying too much. I still do, but it's much more controlled than say a few years ago. I was pretty good at having an annual budget number and sticking to it, but I didn't count on how cheap games had gotten. Through bundles and such I built a massive Steam library very quickly. And I've got a massive stack of Console games from gamestop clearance sales and such. So now what I do is try to stick to a prioritized list I've got wishlists I maintain on PSN/Nintendo/Steam etc and have a GB list for stuff that doesn't really fit into those. Those wishlists are huge because I add anything that seems interesting, but I limit myself to buying things that are pretty much only in my top 20 in any list. And I only allow myself to buy games a handful times a year instead of whenever I had budget to do so. This also helps destress a bit, because then I'm not spending a lot of time considering what to buy. My current philosophy is I'd rather pay a bit more for a better game that I really want, than get a 75%+ discount on something I may never touch or any play around with for half an hour. I.e. I'd rather get Nier: Automata at a 33% discount than say Two Worlds at a 90% discount. I'm still buying way too many games, but it's at a much more manageable rate now. My backlog might even shrink this year. Maybe.
  • The second is deciding what to play - This is tricky as the size the backlog is kinda undeniable. The fact you can't resell digital games means I can't shrink it that way. So I've done a couple things to help with this. First I sorted my Steam library by how badly I want to play the games, then hid all the ones that aren't in my personal top tier. This helped make it feel a ton smaller. I more or less did the same thing with my physical games, I keep only a handful of games that I really am dieing to play near my TV. Out of sight of mind, you know? Make the task seem smaller. Then if I don't have a strong particular urge on what to play next, I use a coin toss bot on Discord to decide for me. I'll usually give 5-6 options of things that seem reasonably different than what I just finished. Unless I have a kneejerk "naw" reaction, I'll just play what it picks. Sounds involved, but beyond the initial sorting of my Steam Library, takes less than a minute.
  • The Third is making sure I stick with games I'm currently playing until I'm satisfied and don't get endlessly tempted by the next thing- Another unintended problem of the digital age, the next game is always one button push away thanks to digital libraries. And while I don't want to force myself to play a game when I'm not having fun, I don't want to bail on a game before I've honestly had my fill just because I happened to buy something new or had a bad day at work or just took too long of a break from one etc. I really enjoy beating video games and getting all the achievements, leaving them undone has always left me more uneasy than the games I actually never have touched for some reason, so I want to make sure I stick with them. This solution is the one I'm the most proud of, although it is constantly a work in progress. So what I did here was make and maintain a journal list of everything I beat and kinda gamified gaming for myself . I used to just have a basic list, but I noticed this was subtly encouraging me to play only shorter games because I can obviously bang those out the quickest. That I didn't feel was a good outcome since a lot of my favorite games tend to be very big ones, and I didn't want to put pressure on myself to never play those or not do post game content because I felt the need to make the list number as big as possible. So now I have a schematic I made up for myself that gives me a certain amount of points depending on various criteria (game length,achievements, bonuses if the game has been in my backlog or pile of shame etc). And that seems to be working even better for me. While I'm beating fewer games, I'm now playing a better representation of what I really want to play when I want to play them. You can the current version of it here if that sounds interesting to you. The Resume list is intended to be an auxiliary list to this one, as I'm considering a "bucket list" bonus for myself if I beat a game off that list. The resume list is also partly a shopping list, since I don't have copies of some of those games on there.

So Nothing too special despite how long it took me to describe the process. Ordered Wishlists to dictate purchases, Ordered library with a cointoss bot for decision making aid and a Journal List to help guide my play in the manner I enjoy. I do find having this structure and mental framework helps me play productively, spend wisely and most importantly have fun by de-stressing the experience.

So to answer your question, yes for me these kinds of lists help. Half the reason I make theses lists is so I don't have to look at them. I try only to consult them when I need to. And the one I look at regularly (the beaten games list) is a list of accomplishments, not what's left to be done. So that's a fun one to look at, feels good to as opposed to the others. I think the key in all of this is to find a way to make your task seem small, whatever mental tricks you use. In my experience it's easiest to climb a mountain (real or imagined), if you focus on the task that's right in front of you not the big picture all at once.

Anyway hope that helps explain where I'm coming from!

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Well I got a PS4 this summer and mostly been PC gaming since 05 and haven't owned a Console since the PS2 but so far on PS4 this Summer I played.

Uncharted 4

Until Dawn

The last of us remastered

Heavy rain and Beyond two souls

and right now I'm playing Horizon Zero Dawn

Still getting use to the gamepad again but damn this year really got alot better for gaming for me.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I felt like I had to at least check out Witcher 3, even though the setting and such absolutely could not be less my thing, so I'm picking at that every so often. I've gotta admit, it's pretty impressive right out of the gate. I'll be shocked if it keeps my attention for long enough to actually finish it or even come close to finishing it (again, the fantasy genre is suuuuper not for me), but I can totally see what the hubbub was about. Also, Gwent is fun.

But yeah, I do try to play a good chunk of "essential" games sooner or later, even if I don't think I'll like them. Except Zelda games. I tried, man... if Ocarina and LttP didn't do it for me, I think it's safe to say that I'll never like Zelda. Also, crafting/survival games and MMOs. Just not gonna happen.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slag: haha that's brutal, sorry about that and thx for gettin' back.

It's just a bit embarrassing having so little knowledge about the SNES era seeing as, that's the period ppl seem to agree on Nintendo been good. lol I don't have much expectations, except I was a bit let down by Symphony of the Night when I played it couple years back but I'm way more into the Metroid vibe so I'm excited for it to be the first SNES game I beat. I'm actually gonna get into it in a few days. I also have zero problems playing stuff outta order so I have that going for me.

You can totally fixed the disc drive on the PS3, I had to on my Phat PS3 a few years back. It's pretty simple and surprisingly cheap (under $30), just find the right model for your SKU on amazon and look up on Youtube, lots of tutorials to install a new blu ray drive on a PS3. Oh god, the amount of dust that was in the console!! So thick, it was like a carpet. Felt so good to clean it off.

I also wish I could play games when ppl are talking about them but I agree, it not that practical, I want to play too many of them. How far you can stretch your money just by waiting even a month or 2, it's kinda hard not to. I'm actually chipping away at Hitman and it's kinda sad I missed all the elusive targets, would've been fun to get in on that. It is a bit scary what might happen to a lot of these games that are so reliant on being connect but at least these days, I'm not as worried about PSN, Xbox Live, or Steam going away anytime soon. We are just too deep in, they can't just unplug without a serious backlash. But ya, a lot of games are going to be a bit borked, maybe not dead mmo borked but some for sure will feel gutted.

About special games, I think you're right, you can tell but I just feel they can't all stick, some get lost in the ether. I think a collective group and time decides what those games are, not any individual or the quality of the game even. Hellblade, I can totally see becoming an "essential" game and I definitely want to get to it because it's already divisive which is a good sign in my book but I can also see ppl forgetting about it because it doesn't seem like a game most ppl would revisit many times. Also, we're in that period when so many studios are now using the medium really seriously as a storytelling form, I wouldn't be surprised if we see some other game that shocks the industry and leaves Hellblade in the dust. Another thing, we are in such a hellish year, I think it's tough to predict which games will be left standing. You got games like PUBG stealing away the spotlight from Breath of the Wild, ppl in the West are into Yakuza and can't say enough nice things about it. It's a weird year, it wouldn't be crazy if a lot of great games get buried. Then again, I guess the important ones manage to resurface.

Lastly, Jesus man, you got a real method. Purchasing wise, I try to basically spend less than last year and buy less games than last year, which I keep a spreadsheet of. I also decided this year, buy the games I really want at less discounted prices vs buying games I kinda want at super discounted prices. I'm still not use to it yet, I feel like I'm paying too much for individual games but the backlog thanks me.

I totally put Steam games I want to play in a folder as well, though it's super sad how many games I somehow have I don't want to play...I also put away all my physical games except the short byr the TV, except my short stack can't be more than like 2. lol Seeing 3 or more games stresses me out. How often do you use the coin bot? Seems like a rare thing. I don't usually have a problem deciding, I just got on instinct.

I got really good at sticking with games too. Some ppl seem to really feel like they know what a game is about after a couple hours, I never feel that way... I commit to a game and play pretty thoroughly 'cause most likely, I won't come back to it, I rarely do. I like to play, 1, to completion, and 2, to where I feel like I know completely the boundaries, the limitations, and the quirks of the game. 1 and 2, I find, are the same or close to it.

Did you come up with this game, the point system? It's kinda fun. I tried it. lol I had a banner year, I played way too many games, I should cut down, I have to. Couple questions: Do only open world and RPGs games count for 3 points or any game you spend 40+ hours on? I tallied based on the latter. What about replayed games? Same as any completion? Okay, here is an edge case which I didn't count any points on: I replayed BioShock, Max Payne 1 & 2, and Uncharted 2. I originally played them on 360, PC/CD, Xbox, and PS3 respectively but on replay, I played them on PS3, Steam, Steam, and PS4 respectively, all of which I own for over a year. Do they count for backlog points? I totaled a whopping 115.75 points. I racked up a lot of points 'cause I mostly played my blacklog, a ton of them 2 points. Let me know if I'm doing the math right if you got any time to spare, which I'm sure you don't. lol

Terribly sorry for the super long reply.

kuku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am always year behind, so yeah. This year I played Hitman and DOOM.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

I'm old and set in my ways enough at this point that I've pretty much given up any pretence of trying to be "literate in video games", as I've often described it to people. Part of my issue is one of circumstance; I never had a SNES, PS1, or PS2 growing up, and I didn't really have many friends that were playing different games from me. I also missed a ton of stuff on PC that is considered iconic. Also, I was a high-functioning autistic child with ADHD who wouldn't sit still, so the number of games that I actually beat or played to completion was pretty modest, and a lot of the games I loved on my N64 or GameCube aren't considered classics. The N64 Zelda games are a massive exception for me, in that they were iconic games that I played at the time and absolutely adored, even though I often needed walkthroughs for the dungeons. They're also unique in that I have replayed them in the last few years, albeit the 3DS remasters.

I don't give a crap about any sort of "gamer cred"; if someone thinks less of me because I haven't ever played an MGS game, a Mega Man game, finished a Final Fantasy game, or whatever, then I couldn't care less. I like what I like, and I don't see why I should go out of my way to play games that have passed me by, especially since so much context would be missing - games are often a time-and-place thing. And I'm not going to judge anyone for having missed the games that I consider essential to my childhood, because who the hell am I to do that? So what if you didn't have a Game Boy in the late 90s and so didn't play Pokemon Red/Blue for hundreds of hours. Y'all have your experiences, and I have mine, and that should be good enough.

I've fallen into the trap of thinking I'll actually play through the classics before. A year or two after I played and loved Dragon Age: Origins, I went on GOG and bought all the old classic CRPGs. Never played them, apart from the first 30 or so minutes of Baldur's Gate II, not nearly enough time to form any sort of impression of such a long and complex game. A few months ago, I decided to try and get into PC emulation, so downloaded a bunch of ROMs of classic games, only to find that Super Mario World could only hold my interest for about 10 minutes at a time. I realised some time in my teens that I actually really don't like platformers, and I forget that every now and then until I try and play one, and then I remember. But I did end up playing quite a bit of Pokemon Pinball for Game Boy Colour, which is not a good game, but I remember playing a bootleg or demo version of it or something at the time and thinking it was rad. Dunno, guess I'm just weird.

So to summarise, nostalgia is overrated, old games are hard, I'm grumpy, and Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon is one of the greatest games of the late 90s.

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By nicksmi56

Oh, definitely. 95% of the time I'm playing something from my never-ending backlog, with a new game thrown in every now and then for good measure. As an example, I've finally finished Persona 4 along with Kirby Planet Robobot, and have now jumped headfirst into Sonic Mania.

I'm thinking next year I'm going to JUST focus on the backlog to make a significant dent in it.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I love talking about games and the industry in general, so totally, I think there's value in being well-rounded and I do what I can to step outside my comfort zone. It's good advice for life in general, I think.

My present plan has been to gobble up interesting Wii U games I never played (which is a lot, considering I barely bothered playing any) before they all disappear off the face of the Earth, since I think it has a good library, total sales failure of the hardware aside.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

I don't play nearly as much old stuff as I did a couple of years ago, but I'll still play a handful of older games here and there. To some extent, that's because I've already played most of the older games that caught my interest (seriously, I played through almost every single Infinity Engine game between 2009 and 2012) but that also has a lot to do with me having more disposable income to futz around with and keep up with current releases.

At some point I will get around to playing more than an hour of Super Metroid, and at some point I'd like to give Arcanum another honest shot, but it's going to take a certain amount of effort and concentration to make either of those (and plenty of other examples) happen.

BoboBones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BoboBones

System Shock 2

Half Life (I played 2 and loved it.)

Baldur's Gate I and II

Shadow of The Colossus

Resident Evil 2

Devil May Cry 3

Street Fighter II

The main one from last gen is the first Witcher game, so that's what I've been playing lately. I'm hooked.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Somewhat. I have huge backlog of older games I never finished or even tried, but there are certain genres of games that I'm bad at delving into. Like I've never been a big strategy game guy. Turn based or real time I've just never really gotten into any of them. But I'm well aware of all the strategy games that are considered some of the best games of all time. Like Command & Conquer, Civilization, FF Tactics, X-COM etc. I've always felt bad about never giving them a proper shot.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Blind spots? Are you just asking if I play older games?

Ravey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Ravey

@ezekiel: Any popular games or genres that you're not familiar with.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

It's not necessarily for the purpose of covering a blind spot, but I do play older games I haven't played from time to time because they look interesting. I want to get into Yakuza at some point (the old ones), but I haven't really gotten around to it. There's also stuff like Vagrant Story I wanna check out based on it's word of mouth etc.

As far as covering actual blind spots. I have tried a ton of different genres and styles over time. I've tried my best to not think of anything as "not for me" and worked on finding out what's cool about it. For the longest time I thought shooters were boring as hell with a few exceptions. I used to only like overtly stylish ones or ones with more puzzely elements like Halo or Max Payne. But I've gotten much more into the actual point and click gameplay and it's intricacies, and enjoy them much more for what they are.

Done the same with other stuff like roguelikes, where I don't really like any of them. But through Dead Cells, Darkest Dungeon and Xcom I think I at least get it now. Playing these over many runs kinda blurs the lines of a messed up run with awful RNG and your more run of the mill progress, taking the sting out of it and also evening out the random elements to feel more fair.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By NTM

Hmm. Maybe not in the sense you're talking about. I usually play older games because one, I have nothing else to play and I wanted to check out what may have been good, and two, a sequel could be coming. Right now, for instance, there isn't anything new I want to play, so I went back to Bully since I had never beat it. It's the 360 (Scholarship Edition) version, so not the original PS2 game, but it's, all the same, more or less. It's great aside from some control issues and visual/frame rate issues. I like Bullworth, and I like the mission variety; those things stand out to me. I can't say I particularly care for any of the characters, but some of the characters' satirical aspects are pretty funny. I have fun going through the story, but the story itself is super basic.

Avatar image for militantfreudian
militantfreudian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Now that I make a point of branching out and playing different types of games, I discovered that I have quite a few blind spots. Strategy, immersive-sims and computer role-playing games are chief among them. For the longest time, I just stuck to a very limited number of genres and franchises. I also stopped playing video games for years at a time several times.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By AlexW00d

Are you asking if I actively play games I don't like just fill in some metaphorical tick sheet?

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Slag

@liquiddragon said:

@slag: haha that's brutal, sorry about that and thx for gettin' back.

It's just a bit embarrassing having so little knowledge about the SNES era seeing as, that's the period ppl seem to agree on Nintendo been good. lol I don't have much expectations, except I was a bit let down by Symphony of the Night when I played it couple years back but I'm way more into the Metroid vibe so I'm excited for it to be the first SNES game I beat. I'm actually gonna get into it in a few days. I also have zero problems playing stuff outta order so I have that going for me.

You can totally fixed the disc drive on the PS3, I had to on my Phat PS3 a few years back. It's pretty simple and surprisingly cheap (under $30), just find the right model for your SKU on amazon and look up on Youtube, lots of tutorials to install a new blu ray drive on a PS3. Oh god, the amount of dust that was in the console!! So thick, it was like a carpet. Felt so good to clean it off.

I also wish I could play games when ppl are talking about them but I agree, it not that practical, I want to play too many of them. How far you can stretch your money just by waiting even a month or 2, it's kinda hard not to. I'm actually chipping away at Hitman and it's kinda sad I missed all the elusive targets, would've been fun to get in on that. It is a bit scary what might happen to a lot of these games that are so reliant on being connect but at least these days, I'm not as worried about PSN, Xbox Live, or Steam going away anytime soon. We are just too deep in, they can't just unplug without a serious backlash. But ya, a lot of games are going to be a bit borked, maybe not dead mmo borked but some for sure will feel gutted.

About special games, I think you're right, you can tell but I just feel they can't all stick, some get lost in the ether. I think a collective group and time decides what those games are, not any individual or the quality of the game even. Hellblade, I can totally see becoming an "essential" game and I definitely want to get to it because it's already divisive which is a good sign in my book but I can also see ppl forgetting about it because it doesn't seem like a game most ppl would revisit many times. Also, we're in that period when so many studios are now using the medium really seriously as a storytelling form, I wouldn't be surprised if we see some other game that shocks the industry and leaves Hellblade in the dust. Another thing, we are in such a hellish year, I think it's tough to predict which games will be left standing. You got games like PUBG stealing away the spotlight from Breath of the Wild, ppl in the West are into Yakuza and can't say enough nice things about it. It's a weird year, it wouldn't be crazy if a lot of great games get buried. Then again, I guess the important ones manage to resurface.

Lastly, Jesus man, you got a real method. Purchasing wise, I try to basically spend less than last year and buy less games than last year, which I keep a spreadsheet of. I also decided this year, buy the games I really want at less discounted prices vs buying games I kinda want at super discounted prices. I'm still not use to it yet, I feel like I'm paying too much for individual games but the backlog thanks me.

I totally put Steam games I want to play in a folder as well, though it's super sad how many games I somehow have I don't want to play...I also put away all my physical games except the short byr the TV, except my short stack can't be more than like 2. lol Seeing 3 or more games stresses me out. How often do you use the coin bot? Seems like a rare thing. I don't usually have a problem deciding, I just got on instinct.

I got really good at sticking with games too. Some ppl seem to really feel like they know what a game is about after a couple hours, I never feel that way... I commit to a game and play pretty thoroughly 'cause most likely, I won't come back to it, I rarely do. I like to play, 1, to completion, and 2, to where I feel like I know completely the boundaries, the limitations, and the quirks of the game. 1 and 2, I find, are the same or close to it.

Did you come up with this game, the point system? It's kinda fun. I tried it. lol I had a banner year, I played way too many games, I should cut down, I have to. Couple questions: Do only open world and RPGs games count for 3 points or any game you spend 40+ hours on? I tallied based on the latter. What about replayed games? Same as any completion? Okay, here is an edge case which I didn't count any points on: I replayed BioShock, Max Payne 1 & 2, and Uncharted 2. I originally played them on 360, PC/CD, Xbox, and PS3 respectively but on replay, I played them on PS3, Steam, Steam, and PS4 respectively, all of which I own for over a year. Do they count for backlog points? I totaled a whopping 115.75 points. I racked up a lot of points 'cause I mostly played my blacklog, a ton of them 2 points. Let me know if I'm doing the math right if you got any time to spare, which I'm sure you don't. lol

Terribly sorry for the super long reply.

Thanks for the tip man on the disc drive! I admit I'm just lazy about it. and no worries about the long replay. I always appreciate those, I just know some ppl get overwhelmed when I write one. That's the only reason I apologized in mine.

I wouldn't beat yourself up too much over the SNES era. I feel like Nintendo has generally consistently put out good first party games throughout its history. Honestly what I think people really miss from the SNES days was feeling like Nintendo could be their primary or sole console for everything. Not necessarily the game themselves. The games were really good don't get me wrong, but there were good Genesis games too. I know I miss the days of being a Nintendo only gamer, back then one platform was all I felt I needed. These days it feels like I need 4-5 (counting handhelds) to be able to play what I want to.

Yeah I'm not crazy that the hitman Team never made Elusive targets available again. Seems pretty crappy. I don't think it would have hurt their sales to have just made them freely available after the year was over. And like you I don't worry about Steam so much. The biggest threat is individual game or company servers like Hitman's. Now that Square now longer owns the IP, how long are they going to bother to keep the servers up? I dunno. EA sports games are notorious for not leaving their multiplayer servers up super long. Stuff like that. I do wonder about PSN and the Wii Virtual Console though. It's not inconceivable to me that eventually services, even the online stores, that support older consoles will stop (like the original Wii, PSP, PS3) soonish. Sony has discontinued online services for some of their consoles before and they can pitch that ppl can just play those games on PSNOW. Furthermore one of their senior execs has made his disdain of old games very clearly known publicly. I really should download everything now just to be safe.

Oh definitely a ton of great games are going to get totally lost this year just due to the volume of great product. e.g. I feel really bad for the guys at Zeboyd Games. They finally released a decent game imo in Cosmic Star Heroine and now no one noticed. According to Steam Spy it maybe sold 10k copies whereas their previous outings sold 600k or so... It's not on par with the top tier games released this year, but it deserves a lot better sales than that. Just couldn't have picked a worse year to release. Same month as Persona 5 too. That game had no chance.

That's an interesting point about how a game may be perceived later. I guess to me I personally care most whether it is valued at all, whether that be at release or later as a cult classic. If the game is noted at some point for doing something interesting I'll remember that. And I guess it doesn't always even need to be good to be interesting to me although the good ones are definitely more interesting and I prefer to play those. Half the reason I played Lords of the Fallen was because I wanted to see the first European attempt at a Souls style game. It was terrible but I'm still glad I played it. So Hellblade easily fits that criteria to me. "Notable", I guess might be a better term than "special" perhaps.

hey thank you! You are the first person I know of to actually use my silly method. I really appreciate the feedback! To answer your questions...

I use the coinbot whenever I get stuck mentally. Sometimes that's a lot, sometimes I get a run where I know what I want to play. So I'd say maybe 30-40% of the time? Usually when I've made a fresh purchase of games I'll jump right into some of those, so I typically seem to find it helpful when I'm kinda in between purchases. Think the last game it picked for me was Orcs Must Die!. I tossed it 4-5 games out my backlog I felt like I could be in the mood for and that was the one it said. I likely won't need it again probably for a bit since the impending closure of Miiverse and trying to play 2017 releases for GotY will help dictate what I pick in the next couple of months.

Yeah I did create it myself. I took some inspiration from Neogaf's 52 games in one year annual thread, but thought after after a couple years of doing it that was steering my gaming choices subconsciously in some ways I didn't like. Also not all games or genres are the same you know? Doesn't seem fair to say that completing a game like Gone Home is the same accomplishment as completing Skyrim would be for the purpose of a list like this. That's not intended to denigrate Gone Home's value as a game, it's just that I think that unfairly punishes the choice to play a game like Skyrim which could take the player hundreds of hours to complete whereas Gone Home is maybe an hour. So I felt a scoring system might mentally make it more equitably attractively to myself to play long games, or to S rank a game, without feeling like I needed to clear as many small ones as possible to clear a threshold before I felt ok to do so.

The latter is right, Time investment to clear is probably what matters most really. Because really what it comes down to Opportunity cost. If you drop 40 hours in GTA, that's maybe 3-4 other "standard" games you could have cleared in that same time. Now for me how I decide the points to award is based on howlongtobeat.com times for that game are, because I know I tend to leave games running when I do other things. So I can't trust my in game clock. I'm also a slow gamer as I like to poke around the environments looking for stuff, so I figure the HLTB times are probably more consistently accurate to what the honest time investment is.

the Values I pick for the various bonuses are a work in progress and just what seemed right to me. They aren't set in stone are meant to be adjustable. I figured one point for ten hours roughly seemed fair.

Imo replayed games definitely count as a completion. I'm not sure I'd count multiple replays during the same year if that's required for an S-rank achievement (say like Dragon's Dogma where you have to beat the game twice to get all the cheevos) especially if the second playthrough allows you speed through it. That to me would would only count towards the Achievement/S-rank bonus (and whatever time related achievements your playthrough qualified for). But yeah if you restart a game clean and play all the way through, that's a point. I personally rarely ever do that, because of the massive stack of stuff I have that's unplayed and I'd rather see what I haven't seen usually. But yeah man, you beat a game you beat a game. In my mind a replay is not backlog bonus eligible because you've already beaten it before. I don't think the platform played on matters in less the game itself is substantively different in some way regarding content. If the game is just a remaster or just has QoL improvements I'd consider it the same game personally. Remakes are trickier (or expansions with new core gameplay mechanics like XCOM expansions), I'd have to think about it, but those probably should be considered a wholly new to you game for scoring reasons. But whatever the replay is, there's nothing to say you couldn't create a new criteria to give yourself a bonus point for replaying a game if that's something you'd like to make sure you continue to do or do more of.

At the end of the day, what the scoring system is intended to do to reward the user for their accomplishments and to encourage the user to play in a way that makes she/he happy. So you can set the scoring schematic based on whatever criteria matters to you and what you'd like to push yourself to do. Maybe in your case you would like to replay more games than you do now, so you could set it up so extra points for that. You mentioned wanting to play fewer games, I'm not sure how you could score it to encourage that but I bet you could think of something.

And damn dude, you killed it this year. That's one heck of a list and a lot of really great games on there. Congrats man! As long as you aren't burning out or gaming in lieu of something else you should be doing, I wouldn't feel bad about playing as much as you have at all.

KittenTactics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

No, I don't even have enough time to play all the games I already want to play. On top of that, I replay games all the time. If I don't have an immediate interest in a game at first glance, I will likely never play it. I watch E3 press conferences because I have a very, very good eye for games I know I will like and I like to get that list filtered down asap.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slag:

Knowing I'm slowly making progress, I'm okay with most games haven't gotten to but there are a handful games on the SNES like Super Metroid, like Link to the Past, Mario World, or FFVI, I feel like I haven't fulfilled some prerequisite. lol I know that sounds silly but I just like having some perspective and I constantly feel like I'm lacking some crucial pieces of knowledge, especially when I hear or read people talk about those franchises and in general, series that have been around for a long time and are still alive. Some of it feels like hate but some of it is that transition from 2D to 3D, and some of it is changing of the guard type of thing where things have changed so drastically, the thing ppl might have loved once upon a time is no longer even the thing anymore and its found a whole new group of fans and the old fans and the new ones can't see eye to eye or even try to. Reading forum comments over the years, you see certain sentiments expressed repeatedly and without having played some games that came before the newer ones, it can just come off like old ppl with their rose tinted glasses and then on the other side, there is me going Metroid Prime, Wind Waker, Mario 64, and FFX are the best!! but I'm sure the truth is somewhere in the middle but I can't say one way or another 'cause I just don't know.

The Hitman thing is frustrating but I'm not sure what to think. In this day of digital content delivered on-demand, the fact that Hitman had limited timed events is really cool but it really hurts ppl like me that, 9/10 times, don't have the games near release. FFXV also has limited time "Festival" events that just come and go. Again, it's kinda cool in this day and age when we can re-live moments over and over again but from a production stand point, it seems crazy and I can't make sense of it. The next festival event is an Assassin's Creed tie-in and obviously, that takes time and money to develop and it's only there for a short time? Seems really wasteful. There must be a middle ground where they can put the events on rotation and maybe take-out the rewards attached to them after the event period?

In terms of Virtual Console, absolutely, download yo shit 'cause Nintendo don't give a fuck. With PSN, Sony seems a bit more skittish. Even with the PSP, they've shut down the store on PSP and Media Go, which was the PC software to download, manage, and transfer content and I think you can't even do it through the PS3 anymore? Could be wrong on that but they've left a little window open for you to at least download your content through the system, which you can still purchase on a browser or PS3. It is new territory though so for sure there are reasons to be worried and you should be worried but seeing all PlayStation platforms under one online roof makes me feel a bit safer? lol You have me second guessing. Just seems like they'd have to go out of their way to piss ppl off. Maybe they'll stop selling PSP and VIta games but the infrastructure is there for ppl to tap into their content so I don't think it'd cost them that much money to allow ppl to have access. After all, how many ppl are donwloading and redownloading PSP games now a days. I guess with the PS3, the games do get much bigger so the bandwidth cost could be a real consideration for them. Yeah...all this stuff is so up in the air and the consumer always loses. I've been going mostly physical so I guess there is a part of me that don't trust the consoles makers. I guess at the end of the day, they'll keep it going until they deem the outrage won't be big enough.

Lastly, everything you said about your scoring system makes sense. I have a bunch of different copies of MGS games, I would never count them as backlog, that's just me being an idiot and buying several versions of each. Also, I rather play by your rules man! It already seems good. Let me know if you come up with new updates next year!

I do want to cut down a bit 'cause I do have an obsessive personality and I tend to over to do things. I just want to achieve a better balance in life with everything. I think I'm getting there though, I've slowed down considerably in the last week.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

Ive never played the Might and Magic games so I have been thinking of getting them on GOG. But I don't know if they are too old school. I tried the free Ultima IV but I was completely lost.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#31  Edited By monkeyking1969

I'm too far behind on what is directly in front of me.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I don't even have enough time or money to play all of the games that I actively want to play.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By MezZa

Not very often anymore unless I think I genuinely might enjoy it. When I was a teenager and had tons of free time i was all about playing every game from every genre to fully diversify my experiences. And if I didn't like what I tried I at least had an opinion on it. Now, quite frankly, I just don't really care as much about some genres or series. I have limited time so I tend to play what I know I enjoy (strategy games and rpgs) over things that I might possibly like If I take a chance. I replay the hell out of my favorites nowadays until something new or different catches my eye. I've dropped the whole notion of having a backlog or list of games that I need to go through to be educated. Maybe this will change again as time goes on, but for now I'd rather play what I like instead of pressuring myself to fill in blind spots. I've been gaming since I had a SNES as a kid, so most of my blind spots are blind spots for a reason, typically lack of interest rather than lack of availability. Trying to make myself do those just isn't very fun.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@liquiddragon:

Hah well the good news is those SNES games you mentioned won't take you very long whenever you decide to play them, especially given how fast you seem to be able to tear through stuff. I get where you are coming from about why you want to experience them, I feel the same way as you can tell I'm sure. Well not about that specific era since I was active then, but in general I like to see stuff for myself firsthand so I can understand. Fwiw as an oldtimer I think all those Gen 6 games you mentioned were great too. Not everything about games has to be a contest, you know? Gen 4,5 and 6 were all great.

Those timed events do seem wasteful and yet I know it works for them. If you think about it, the core problem single player games have long had economically is to create a sense of urgency to get gamers to pay full price and thus pay for the game at launch. Over the years devs have tried a lot of bad solutions (bolting superfluous multiplayer modes onto games, retailer preorder incentives, that weird download Catwoman DLC code thing that Arkham City did, etc etc), this seems like the latest one of those. Unfortunately it's one that I think works psychologically. That ole' Fear of Missing out.

Sure will do man!

A better balance in life is definitely important, hard to be truly happy without it. Plus it's never bad to take breaks and pace yourself. I always find it easier to appreciate games when I don't feel rushed.

Hope you find the balance man!