Games that make you wish you knew Japanese.

Supermarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Supermarius

Hey, so i was looking around the web for information about the dragon quest monsters series when i stumbled upon the existence of an enhanced ps1 port of dragon quest monsters 1 + 2 that was released in 2002 with better graphics and new content, but never made it to us shores. Man, i would have played the crap out of that game. I have an import japanese ps2, but without the requisite language skills I would get stuck pretty quick.

Then i was looking into the international versions of the Final fantasy games. For those who don't know, these are versions of final fantasy rpgs that are released in Japan at the same time or a little bit after the release of the north american version of a game. These versions contain all the bugfixes and spoken dialog of the english version as well as bonus content, like new characters, scenes, dungeons, etc. Ironically, square's international versions are only ever released in japan, and do not contain english text options. International versions exist for games like FF10, 10-2, and FF12. Man, i wish i could play those.

So what game bugs you like this? What game do you really wish you could get a chance to play in your native language or region?

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By JJOR64
Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Driadon

You listed the exact one I was going to say with Dragon Quest Monsters on PS1. I also would have said the original Star Ocean, but now there are both fan translations as well as that PSP version out.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By MikkaQ

Uhh probably nothing. Maybe poilicenauts, but that's because the fan patch is annoying to use, and it didn't work for me.

Supermarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Supermarius
Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Driadon
@Supermarius: ...You, sir, just made my day. Hell, I wasn't even aware of Caravan Heart; sounds like I have some downloading to do when I get home.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#7  Edited By AgentJ
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#8  Edited By Video_Game_King
@AgentJ: 

Um, that first one has a patch. As for me, I'd say most of the games I play.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AgentJ
@Video_Game_King said:
" @AgentJ:   Um, that first one has a patch. As for me, I'd say most of the games I play. "
Well too bad I don't have an SNES in the first place...
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Video_Game_King
@AgentJ: 

That's not how you use a patch. (If it is, I'd probably do it that way.)
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By AgentJ
@Video_Game_King said:
" @AgentJ:   That's not how you use a patch. (If it is, I'd probably do it that way.) "
yeah, my computer won't be (and probably couldn't even if I wanted it to) running anything like that. They'll remake it someday.
SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SeriouslyNow
Avatar image for buzz_killington
buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13  Edited By buzz_killington
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Video_Game_King
@AgentJ: 

Then holy shit, your computer sucks. It's an SNES game.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By AgentJ
@Video_Game_King: Wrong! It's a Super FAMICOM game! 
no but seriously, i'd rather not download it. ill wait until i can play it legally.
ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By ZenaxPure
@AgentJ said:

10. Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan
"
This, after blazing through EBA in just one afternoon I wanted more asap. I actually thought about importing it for the longest time but realized half the reason I loved EBA was because of how insane some of the scenarios themselves were, which I would not be able to understand at all if I bought this. Pretty sure there are others but I can't remember atm, this just came to mind because I was actually considering buying it despite knowing 0 Japanese. 

Oh hey, remembered another one. Captain Rainbow, the game looked hilarious but it is one of those games that would probably never come out over in the States, or be completely butchered if it did. Oh well :(
Supermarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Supermarius
@Driadon: yeah. They really tried alot of experimental things with caravan hearts, but i saw this clip from the game, and then i was like "oh damn i have to play that"  Also it still has rainhawk and swordgon so i'm good. I just need to remember which monster i always used that looked like vegeta riding a skeletal lizard.

Frederik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Frederik

I'd love to be able to claim that something like this was my country's work!

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By shirogane
@Zenaxzd said:
"@AgentJ said:
10. Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan
"
This, after blazing through EBA in just one afternoon I wanted more asap. I actually thought about importing it for the longest time but realized half the reason I loved EBA was because of how insane some of the scenarios themselves were, which I would not be able to understand at all if I bought this. Pretty sure there are others but I can't remember atm, this just came to mind because I was actually considering buying it despite knowing 0 Japanese. 

Oh hey, remembered another one. Captain Rainbow, the game looked hilarious but it is one of those games that would probably never come out over in the States, or be completely butchered if it did. Oh well :( "

There's also an Ouendan 2, which i thought added some interesting stuff. 
However, translating that would be a bit weird, cause you'd only be translating the text, all the songs and everything else would still be in Jap. 

And i'm pretty sure you could play the international versions/final mix of the Square Enix games, because they have some english menues and use english voice acting? Or something like that, they're like a hybrid of the original jap versions and the english, with extra content.
Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 28

#20  Edited By Pepsiman

「Giant Bomb」の人口の中で、日本語が話せる人があまり居ないの?ああ、大変だわ。けど、ゲームだけのために勉強したら、全然上手になれないと思うよ。だから、他の刺激があった方がいいよ。日本語はとても学び難い言語なので、本当にいつも頑張らなきゃ。ゲームかマンガかアニメばかりなので勉強する人はよく下手に話せて書けるよ。

That being said, back in the day, it was usually way more oddball games than the conventional stuff that might have ever so slighted motivated me to pick up Japanese. As a kid, I had a really odd affinity for stuff like Pepsiman and Doshin the Giant, both of which turned to actually be not all they're cracked up to be by a long shot.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Pepsiman: 

*gasp* How dare you insult your very name!? He's PEPSI-MAAAAAANNNNNNNN!!!!!!!! That alone makes it awesome!

Also, any tips for learning Japanese in general?
defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By defaulttag

Nothing.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Nekroskop

Shame on you for not mentioning Yakuza 3 and 4.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#24  Edited By sjschmidt93

Everything? Fuck Spanish, High School. Teach me some goddamn Japanese so I don't have to search for dubbed anime or read subbed anime, as well as many games and manga.

Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Pepsiman
@Video_Game_King: I think successfully studying Japanese, like any other language, kind of boils down to having the right sort of motivation. Language study is something that takes years and years to get really good and refined at and in the meantime, you've always got native speakers humbling you. It's a really long commitment to make and while I personally think it's very rewarding, you have to recognize that you're in it for the long-term if you're going to seriously pick it up. Doing it just for stuff like games, for example, probably isn't going to give enough of a drive to study and practice it for 10 to 15 years, if not even longer. The grammar itself and the Kanji are ultimately pretty accessible things, but that means nothing if you don't have a realistic goal and drive to keep motivating you to learn it.

Japanese is such a beautiful language with a long history of development and usage that it needs that sort of respect and recognition in order to study it well. It's very much so a language with a heritage attached to it and it goes way, way beyond the pop culture stuff, which I think is the mentality that prevents a lot of prospective learners from really grasping it. Maybe it's me being elitist, but it's hard not to get that impression after a while.
Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Nekroskop

Japanese is horribly overcomplicated. It's so hard that they have languagetests in Japan that even the most talented linguist can't complete.They really need a languagerevolution

Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Pepsiman
@ahaisthisourchance: Judging by the education issues to be had with literacy and overall fluency in western countries, I wouldn't exactly say English is exactly any better in that regard. Those tests in Japan are also very doable, having seen them myself first hand, and are, in fact, made to be deliberately hard. If I were an employer, those language certificates wouldn't exactly mean much on a resume if they were made easier to attain. As someone who speaks both English and Japanese daily, I'm personally fine with them the way they are. It just takes the right sort of persistence to pick them up.

That being said, in case your post was meant to have /sarcasm in it and I just didn't realize it, then feel free to disregard my rambling. Just consider me a bit touchy in that regard.
Xero560

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Xero560

Super Robot Wars  

I hope they will start localizing the future releases.

LiquidSwords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By LiquidSwords
@SJSchmidt93 said:
"Everything? Fuck Spanish, High School. Teach me some goddamn Japanese so I don't have to search for dubbed anime or read subbed anime, as well as many games and manga. "

Dude if you can't learn Spanish you will not learn any Japanese (they both share the same phonetic sounds).
ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#30  Edited By ArbitraryWater

As much as I *cough* enjoy playing earlier Fire Emblem games in English *cough*, I wouldn't mind playing them in a more legitimate format and not on my computer. I think a compilation of FE 1-6 on the DS would be pretty good.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#31  Edited By Akeldama

basically all of them. In many cases, the Eastern voice acting is much better.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Vinchenzo
@Supermarius: I've been doing research. You CAN play the international versions of FF. They support English. I would buy them if I knew that they fully supported Japanese voice, not just text. I am thinking about buying it. Granted, you need a Japanese system or mod.
Lawrens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Lawrens

Soma Bringer - though it is fan translated, I don't have the device that allows me to play this

Rent a Hero No. 1 - I don't know about this, but I've always wanted to play it

Xenosaga I&II - Read some fan translated scenarios on the web, which makes me want to play it more

Bastard!! on psx - I actually played through this without knowing a bit of japanese, but I'm a fan of the manga and would really want to know the story

Kenzan - doesn't seem to be coming out, I suppose these type of games would be good if you actually know japanese too

Also wouldn't mind playing FF12 international, Kingdom hearts Final mix games, all the games that came out in japan first and take forever to be localized.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By JJOR64
@Akeldama said:

" basically all of them. In many cases, the Eastern voice acting is much better. "

True.  Most of the time dubs are fucking terrible. 
Supermarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Supermarius
@Vinchenzo: Hmm, from what i have heard some of them have english for the old parts of the game, but if there is a new appendix or dongeon, that part is not translated. However, playasia was indicating that the Korean version of the international edition of FFX, which does still play on a japanese ps2, has full english text support. I know FFXII must not have full english support, because fans bothered to make that big patch for it. But for FFX  i think you are probably right. I have seen, however, videos that purport to be of the FFX-2 international version, with japanese audio. The poster was saying that there is an option to switch languages in that game.
fuzzyponken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By fuzzyponken

I can't think of any. I reckon if the japanese think their game is too japanese for the west I'd probably agree with them.  

Muramasa, maybe. I feel like a lot probably gets lost in translation there, 'cause I'm not following the story whatsoever. 

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By LiquidPrince

Nothing I can think of at the moment.

Slippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Slippy

Games that get a shitty English dub. Before people start the accusations of elitist Japanophile, shut up - I would rather read subtitles of a language I don't even know than listen to a mind-numbing English voice over. 

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

If they didn't bother with an English version then I don't bother.  I never feel like I'm missing out on J games.

Genjuro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Genjuro

Dragon Force 2.

SecretOrigin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By SecretOrigin

suikoden II for the PSP
I even tried modding my psp to play my ps1 copy on it, but just ended up breaking the damn thing.

fei0x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#42  Edited By fei0x

Mother 3