Giant Bomb Mobile Preview

commandercup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#51  Edited By commandercup

Looks freaking incredible! THANK YOU FOR THE AWESOME WORK! Thank god I can finally post comments and forum posts on my iPhone!

fedorajay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#52  Edited By fedorajay

Is this the first time we've heard Mike since the move? I was starting to miss the guy.

BoatDrinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By BoatDrinks

is this only available on the iphone?

conker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#54  Edited By conker

So is the mobile site live or what?
HarrySound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By HarrySound

I have the Android app on my HTC Desire even though it's in beta it runs and works real good! 

jagenheim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#56  Edited By jagenheim

This makes me more excited than any of the 2010 game lineup.

DukeTogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#57  Edited By DukeTogo

You kids and your phones.

Will it work on these?

No Caption Provided
JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#58  Edited By JJOR64

Looks pretty cool!  Now if I only had a smart phone...

b33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By b33

man, i missed drew licking his elbow, will someone provide a link? 
thanks

Kajaah117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Kajaah117

Yes! I just got my first smartphone(Droid X) a week ago. Epic birthday present, GiantBomb. I wuv you. 

There's a beta app in the Android Market. What will happen to that? It looks like it was made by a third-party, probably just an avid fan of the site. If he reads this: thanks, dude. It held me over. =P

iruga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#61  Edited By iruga

Can you do quests on it?

NateDogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#62  Edited By NateDogg

So will this load properly on my black berry?

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#63  Edited By WickedCestus

Thank God for the Podcast page. Having to wait for iTunes is so annoying, this is so much better!

RedRoach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By RedRoach
@snide: So what about people who paid for the app? First off, it wasn't a very good app to begin with but now you're giving an improved version to everyone. i rarely complain about this kind of thing, but it's frustrating.  how are we supposed to trust your subscription model when things like this happen? for all we know, you could give some of those subscription features to everyone a month or two down the line. maybe im blowing things out of proportion when comparing two dollars to a monthly subscription, but it seems like you're forgetting those people that gave you money and i was glad to help you out. But i also paid for the right to use GB on my iphone, and giving that to everyone else just feels like i wasted my money and i can't trust that giving you more is a good idea.
Philzpilz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Philzpilz

I am excited about this. Thank god i just bought my first fancy phone!

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#66  Edited By citizenkane

Looks awesome!  Nice work, Mike.

illmatic19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#67  Edited By illmatic19

Giant Bomb has the best engineers.

Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Osaladin

I demand more Mike in the videos.

KuribosShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By KuribosShoe

if I'm not mistaken this is for paying subscribers only, correct?  I don't mind, but if that's the case you guys should be more up front about it.

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#70  Edited By WickedCestus

Is this subscribers-only? 

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#71  Edited By ch13696
@TekZero said:
" What about those that bought the GB app? "
Regal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Regal

When I go to the site on the iphone it's just regular giant bomb, hasn't this rolled out yet?

KuribosShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By KuribosShoe
@ch13696 said:
" @TekZero said:
"
I guess you're out two dollars just like me!  Damn, I could've bought a hamburger!
ocdog45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By ocdog45

alright so what about people who have the app? i have no use for it if they don't have these features. i can't post a message.
Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Jeffsekai

Awesome. :D

imad81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By imad81

what the eff is wrong with this video?

pbhawks45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#77  Edited By pbhawks45
@Jason_Bourne said:
" @snide: So what about people who paid for the app? First off, it wasn't a very good app to begin with but now you're giving an improved version to everyone. i rarely complain about this kind of thing, but it's frustrating.  how are we supposed to trust your subscription model when things like this happen? for all we know, you could give some of those subscription features to everyone a month or two down the line. maybe im blowing things out of proportion when comparing two dollars to a monthly subscription, but it seems like you're forgetting those people that gave you money and i was glad to help you out. But i also paid for the right to use GB on my iphone, and giving that to everyone else just feels like i wasted my money and i can't trust that giving you more is a good idea. "
I agree completely. I wrote a blog post about it and was flamed to no end. It's not the money; it's the principle. People who bought the iPhone App should get access to this mobile site.
KuribosShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By KuribosShoe

the app will still be useful as the mobile site is a feature for paid subscribers.  still, retooling the app a bit for functionality's sake wouldn't be a bad idea for people who don't wanna pay for the site.  whoever THOSE people are.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By ch13696
@Jason_Bourne said:
" @snide: So what about people who paid for the app? First off, it wasn't a very good app to begin with but now you're giving an improved version to everyone. i rarely complain about this kind of thing, but it's frustrating.  how are we supposed to trust your subscription model when things like this happen? for all we know, you could give some of those subscription features to everyone a month or two down the line. maybe im blowing things out of proportion when comparing two dollars to a monthly subscription, but it seems like you're forgetting those people that gave you money and i was glad to help you out. But i also paid for the right to use GB on my iphone, and giving that to everyone else just feels like i wasted my money and i can't trust that giving you more is a good idea. "
I'm with you on this one. I feel like I just been ripped off for some reason. I understand eventually stuff like this goes out for free, but I think I speak for everyone that paid for this, you should continue to work on this app. Regardless of what hoops Apple throws at you. Think about the people that own the Andorid version also. There's no hoops to jump through there. So please, give us what we paid for.
frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By frankxiv

i'm only getting audio in my right ear. other videos are fine

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By slyspider

hmmmmm i just got a laptop so now i have the site anywhere i got, but i do have a iphone.....damn

Olivaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Olivaw
@KuribosShoe said:
" @ch13696 said:
" @TekZero said:
"
I guess you're out two dollars just like me!  Damn, I could've bought a hamburger! "
Now I'll NEVER have that hamburger!

There's only one way to settle this: Vinny has to get me a hamburger.
snide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#83  Edited By snide
@Jason_Bourne said:
I can't fault you. Our iPhone app isn't great. We built it outside the main office. At the time, we kind of HAD to build an app if we wanted to get videos to work (this was before HTML5 videos were a big thing). I can't say much more other than to say I very much have no intention of building something specifically for Apple in the future. After the launch of the app we had two choices... spend a shit-load of money trying to find an engineer that could build something we really wanted, or option B, build it in the browser so that it would work across all devices, not just iPhones and could be built in an environment we are already really good at.

I know that's not what you want to hear. We did absolutely abandon the product. At the same time, the $2 investment you made realistically does not come close to covering the costs of the videos we had to compress and stream, but that's really not what you want to hear either. The real story behind the app is that it got rejected 3 times because they didn't like the size and quality of our videos. Rather than deliver shitty videos to our users, we spent 2 more submissions to Apple simply trying to find a way to get better videos into the app. I won't go into specifics, but it was a pain in the ass and a huge waste of time. Looking back, our iPhone app and the guides system are the two biggest misteps I think we've made as an engineering team. I'd eventually like to correct guides as well.

To answer your direct question. Why should you trust us? I can't really answer that other than to say we're a pretty open and honest company and I stand behind our mostly perfect record. We try to make the best decisions we can -- not only for ourselves, but our user base. It's a bigger deal then you think and it's the core philosophies of every one of our teams, not just the dudes on screen. Launching a paid product for us scares the shit out of us. We know that suddenly we're not dealing with fans, but with customers. We're trying to make smart decisions so that we can service both. This is one of those decisions.

I will say that we plan to absolutely support this product. I say that because this time we built it where any one of small 5-man engineering team can bug fix it. We also own the keys to the car so to speak and don't have to go through an approval process from another company.
ashbash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By ashbash

Dave, you and your engineering team makes websites and little things that amaze me. What did you work on before Giant Bomb? I honestly think these Whiskey Media websites are some of the best on the WHOLE of the internet. You are very talented guys. 

As for the issue Jason_Bourne brought up. I don't mind wasting a little bit of money to help support my favourite people in any way possible and in any little way. It is kind of unfortunate that the app didn't turn out good at all but at least they've learnt from it and they brought out an awesome marketing video for it. That's one of the best videos on the site!

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#85  Edited By MeatSim

It works! nice job Mike.

snide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#86  Edited By snide
@ashbash159 said:
" Dave, you and your engineering team makes websites and little things that amaze me. What did you work on before Giant Bomb? I honestly think these Whiskey Media websites are some of the best on the WHOLE of the internet. You are very talented guys.  As for the issue Jason_Bourne brought up. I don't mind wasting a little bit of money to help support my favourite people in any way possible and in any little way. It is kind of unfortunate that the app didn't turn out good at all but at least they've learnt from it and they brought out an awesome marketing video for it. That's one of the best videos on the site! "
Thanks, that means a lot. Believe it or not, we all used to work together with Jeff, Ryan and Brad. Andy, Mike, Ethan, Coonce and I were all at CNET around 2004-2005. Now the gang is back together so to speak.
Avatar image for cletusthefoetus
CletusTheFoetus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By CletusTheFoetus

I like my Whiskey [media] neat.

Soviet666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Soviet666

Sound is f**** up in this. Only right channel.

gbrading

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#89  Edited By gbrading

Hmmm... Right channel only mono sound. Hang on, WUTANG and site sounds streaming through the left channel. Bizarre.
Avatar image for incrediblebulk92
IncredibleBulk92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#90  Edited By IncredibleBulk92

Well now I'm watching that Shogun 2 footage again.  Cannot wait for that game.

kollay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#91  Edited By kollay

So Dave, where the hell do I pay!?

lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By lockwoodx

Ummm no thanks.

Skillface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Skillface

To the people complaining about $2.00, please look in your couch cushion. 

one_2nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#94  Edited By one_2nd

Lmfao I thought he was serious at first. 

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#95  Edited By jakob187

Ummm...can someone explain the copyright at the bottom of the Starcraft page shown in this video?  Is Giant Bomb and/or Whiskey Media seriously copyrighting the material that WE take the time to write on those wiki pages...or is the copyright for the app itself?

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Dany
@jakob187 said:
"

Ummm...can someone explain the copyright at the bottom of the Starcraft page shown in this video?  Is Giant Bomb and/or Whiskey Media seriously copyrighting the material that WE take the time to write on those wiki pages...or is the copyright for the app itself?

"
Pretty sure that it a copyright of Giantbomb, not of your content
vaportra1l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By vaportra1l

I find it hilarious that people complain about a $2 app on their phones thact they probably pay nearly $100/mo for.  The app store has completely altered peoples expectations.  Like doom was super expensive at 5 bucks or whatever.  Somehow a $2 purchase last year entitles you to free upgrades for life and red carpet treatment.

I bought the app, while it's not the greatest, it has the videos which is what I wanted.  I watched a good amount of the endurance run on it from my hotel room when I was traveling for work a few months ago and it worked great. 

I've since ditched the iphone for an evo, and the android version works about as well as the iphone version.  Though I don't think it's officially made by the Whiskey group, and it's free.

nickux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#98  Edited By nickux

Does the desktop wallpaper remind any one else of Donny's background from "You Suck at Photoshop" ?

rbanke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By rbanke

I HATE Mobile versions of websites. Please for the love of god if you redirect my iphone to a mobile version, put the 'View Standard Giantbomb' link at the TOP not the bottom. It always takes forever to scroll to the bottom to find those links.

b33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By b33
@Kajaah117 said:
" Yes! I just got my first smartphone(Droid X) a week ago. Epic birthday present, GiantBomb. I wuv you.  There's a beta app in the Android Market. What will happen to that? It looks like it was made by a third-party, probably just an avid fan of the site. If he reads this: thanks, dude. It held me over. =P "
actually the homebase of the app is here, search for a little bit and you will find it,