• 154 results
Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

I hate it.

If you want to save some cash on new fonts, just send me a message and I'll draw some myself, it isn't that hard.

CreepingDeath0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

The size of everything in the "Recent Forum Activity" section of the main page needs to be bumped up a few times. Really hard to read.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

The font is so thin that I'm just going to type in bold all the time.

Also I hate change.

reticulate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Body text is all bold in Firefox.

No Caption Provided

AngriGhandi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The true, underlying question is: how will these new fonts subconsciously influence all of our thoughts and behavior? Is this new, marginally more mature and sophisticated forum font all a ploy to make us argue less? To pacify us, like lambs before the slaughter???

FOLLOW THE MONEY

GrizzledWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mike said:

Comic Sans was a good choice.

The most professional

redyoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't mind change but this font is too small.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It'll take me a bit to get used to, but I think it's actually an improvement. Then again, I always like small text.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Maybe its my old eyes, but I find the text to be too small, thin, and the spacing between letters seems a little crammed.

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Finally

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Quarters

@reticulate said:

No Caption Provided

Hm, I use Firefox and have the normal, non-bolded font, so maybe it's another factor at work? I'm using the Black GB theme instead of the white, so I don't know if that makes a difference.

Also, this will definitely take some getting used to. They're not bad, just weird.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#65  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

Comparison image. New is just fine. Feels juuust a bit odd not that I notice it after reading this thread but it's hardly even a deal.

No Caption Provided

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

they look fine in the forums, but the main page/video titles look really bad, at least in chrome

BrettVandelay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DookieRope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quarters: They're not bad, just weird. Same thing all my ex girlfriends say about me.

Chillicothe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

It's a little narrow, and with the serifs it appears blurry.

personandstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I honestly never realized fonts for websites cost money. Or that a font would be hosted somewhere else.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Odd. I like it!

While it looks good in the text box before posting, once posted it looks a bit too small. As if after hitting "Post Reply" the font size gets bumped down 1.5 points or something.

reticulate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quarters said:
@reticulate said:

No Caption Provided

Hm, I use Firefox and have the normal, non-bolded font, so maybe it's another factor at work? I'm using the Black GB theme instead of the white, so I don't know if that makes a difference.

Also, this will definitely take some getting used to. They're not bad, just weird.

Hmm, interesting. This is a pretty standard install of Firefox afaik, but I'll poke around my settings and see if something's going on at this end.

larmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Someone should just make a browser plugin that replaces the new fonts with the old ones.

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@reticulate: What OS are you using? This is more likely related to fonts installed on your machine than the browser. Have you ever installed fonts manually?

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Who's getting paid for the use of fonts by websites? I always assumed most fonts were just.. free to use. Is there a font foundation that is cashing in big on websites using their fonts?

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By kasaioni

@zleunamme: Was about to report your account as being hacked.

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By kcin

@onemanarmyy: Fonts are generally not free. Additionally, serving them up to users when they look at your page is not free. Usually, if a site has cool fonts, and they are doing it legally, they are being hosted by an external source, on a different server/set of servers, like Google Fonts or Adobe TypeKit. On the page's load, the website references those fonts on those servers and they load separately, like when you find an image on a website and use the image's URL to show that image on a another website (aka "hotlinking").

Using Google Fonts is free, but those fonts are licensed by their creators to be used freely. Adobe TypeKit, which is what I think GB was using, is not free, and has many (but not all) 'premium', recognizable fonts, which are not free to use. You pay a monthly fee to use it in order to access its library of fonts (in addition to possible bandwidth premiums for a company as large as CBSi). It's sort of like how Netflix gets the rights to movies it didn't make, and then charges you to watch them.

larmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The font Giant Bomb used to use is Jubilat. Apparently it was also used by Bernie Sander's presidential campaign. Maybe they raised the price of it since that?

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@kcin: Ah so it's very possible that they switched from Adobe TypeKit to Google Fonts right now?

How does this work with programs like Microsoft Word? Do they use an external source as well or does microsoft host their own fonts?

Avatar image for zomgfruitbunnies
Zomgfruitbunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not a fan of the new font. Hard to read.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#82  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@onemanarmyy: There are quite a few fonts out there with licenses that allow you to use them free of charge, but there are a lot of people and companies out there that make money by designing fonts and licensing them out for people to use. If you're really interested in establishing a brand identity for your company or product, you're probably going to want to go out there and license a set of unique fonts to help distinguish yourself instead of just using Times New Roman and Open Sans.

Monotype is by far the biggest font foundry out there (they're actually a publicly traded company), but there are plenty of others out there producing fonts and a lot of them do expect to get paid.

EDIT: Actually, if you wanted to be 100% legit, even Times New Roman is technically still a proprietary typeface owned by Monotype. It's licensed out by Microsoft and Apple, and those licenses generally permit you to use the font any way you want if you're working on a Windows or OS X machine. However, I guess if you wanted to be completely free and clear legally, you would probably still want to pay for your own license.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

It's fine but it needs to be slightly bigger.

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By kcin

@onemanarmyy said:

@kcin: Ah so it's very possible that they switched from Adobe TypeKit to Google Fonts right now?

How does this work with programs like Microsoft Word? Do they use an external source as well or does microsoft host their own fonts?

Not quite. Where a font is still hosted, they actually switched from externally-hosted fonts to fonts they are hosting themselves - some of the fonts are now on the same server(s) as the rest of the site (the serif headline font is hosted). What they did do for the copy, though (the text we're reading and writing) is switch to fonts that the user has on their machine only - no more hosted fonts. This cuts down on load times. First, they try and load your system OS's primary font - fonts that have been designed for computer screens, will 'match' the rest of your computing experience, and are almost certainly there, on your machine. Website fonts are generally part of a list of hierarchical preference: "I want Font A, but if the user doesn't have it use Font B, if they don't have that use Font C, and if they have none of these use whatever font they have in this style." When a font is hosted, the website first retrieves the font, and then it tries to load it. An externally-hosted font can take longer to load than one hosted with the rest of the site, or it can be faster if the server the site is hosted on is slow - point is, it's an additional thing to load, increases the overall size of the page, and it's a little unpredictable. If it doesn't have any server-side font dependencies, it hopes YOU have the font, on your computer.

That's also how Word works: it only loads fonts you have installed on your computer.

YummyTreeSap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By YummyTreeSap

Looks a bit thin and blurry, but that's Windows for you. The font in the message composer itself is pretty nice though.

I'm generally not a fan of changes like this because the preinstalled fonts on OSes are fucking terrible, but this isn't so bad, readability issues aside.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Because of how small the font is...

The paragraph spacing size looks

Crazy Big!

(nevertheless, I like the font choice)

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Had my hopes up for Comic Sans or Papyrus, but i guess this will have to do.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Cirdain

The Slab Serif is absolutely gorgeous, but I have to agree that this normal body font is a tad too narrow and small.

Also:

Header2

Header3

Header4

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#89  Edited By Castiel

@mike said:

No Caption Provided

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

Zleunamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@kasaioni: Have you heard of the term "Greeking"? It is a common practice of using dummy text for printing and typesetting. Before desktop publishing, specimen books were printed to showcase a typeface or a family of fonts. It was used to move focus on layout and design instead of the words being said. I thought it would be a nod for graphic and web designers. I guess I should said that beforehand and used one paragraph instead of five to show off how it looked in a regular, bold and italics. I guess posts can be deleted without notice.

Personally I think that the fonts are too small and hard to read. The cynic in me is telling me that they are using smaller fonts create more open space for ads. Since I am premium member, I don't see them but just a thought. Maybe it's a sign of the times and GB is putting more focus on video content than written content. Giant Bomb as website has maintained good webdesign practices in terms of layout design and navigation. Change is okay as long as it does not negatively affect readability.

gbrading

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

As someone who works with UX and CX a fair bit I'd say the default font is slightly too small. Headings are fine but default in threads etc. is slightly squint-inducing.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is fine.

I mean it's readable at 200% size from the couch.

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#93 rmanthorp  Moderator

I like it.

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@mike said:

No Caption Provided

Perfect. Let the world burn.

This other new font is alright too.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#96  Edited By Bollard

I hate it. I'm sure I'll forget that it changed in a few days.

This haha. But I agree with what others have said. Everything is a little bit small. Can you guys up the size 1pt?

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm with the people that says the size is a tad too small, maybe up it a little itsy bit.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@xrott: You're right. Looking at other users' images they've uploaded here, I'm seeing that my font is different from some of theirs.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You guys might want to look into a browser extension that allows custom fonts on a per-site basis if you don't like the way the new font looks.