Hey, some things are changing with our Premium service!

• 63 results
rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By rorie

Would you like to know more?

Giant Bomb Premium has been an integral part of keeping this site in the business of making silly videos for many years now. Many of you have helped contribute to the success of the site by plunking down cash, and we greatly appreciate your willingness to do so.

That said, the premium service as it exists has always been a bit wonky. Subs don’t always renew when they should, and sometimes they renew when they shouldn’t. Memberships disappear at odd times for no apparent reason, or they extend well past their expiration date without attempting to bill a subscriber. Want to update your credit card information? That form hasn’t worked in, like, six months. It’s kind of a mess!

A lot of these issues have arisen because we do most of the heavy lifting of subscription management internally, only sending information off to our credit card processor when we have to bill someone. As it happens, there are companies that do precisely the kind of subscription management stuff that we currently do ourselves, and as such, we’re going to be shifting our subscription services over to one of those companies over the next few days. This new partner (a company called Recurly) will keep track of all of your subscription info for the purposes of renewals and emailing you if your card's declined, etc.

What does this mean for you?

Well, first off, while we migrate our data to Recurly, we are going to extend the expiration dates of most subscriptions that are set to expire during this migration back a week or so to ensure that no one winds up being unable to renew during this downtime. If you were set to renew in this timeframe, you’re going to get some free time on your account.

Most of you, however, should see no interruption of service or even be aware that this change is taking place, as we’re aiming to make this transition as seamless and behind-the-scenes as possible. There’s always a chance of technical issues, though. Please get in touch atsupport@giantbomb.comif you run into any weirdness over the next few weeks.

Hey, my subscription went away! What’s going on!

One of the weaknesses of our current system of managing subscriptions is that some subs remain active well after they should’ve expired. As part of this migration, it’s quite likely that most of these zombie subscriptions will be removed from the system. If you find yourself suddenly subscription-less when the migration is complete (which should occur by next Monday), please look up the last subscription renewal email you got from us and check the date on it. If it looks like it’s more than a month or year old, then you likely didn’t get un-hooked properly and should sign up for a “new” subscription if you’d like to remain a subscriber. If you have any further questions, get in touch with me at support@giantbomb.com. Be sure to include your username in that email.

What else might get broken while this is going on?

You’re unlikely to be able to update your credit card number, change your plan between yearly or monthly subscriptions, or cancel your account during this transition. We anticipate wrapping everything up by Monday.

What about Paypal subscriptions?

Our new payment processor does indeed support Paypal, and we’re going to be working to implement that in the coming weeks, which will allow us to move away from the Paypal method of signing up through our store. We’ll update our payment methods when we manage to implement this.

What about gift subscriptions?

As with Paypal, we still plan on implementing gift subscriptions, but they won’t be available immediately when we go live with our new payment system. If you have outstanding gift codes that haven’t been used yet, get in touch at support@giantbomb.com and we’ll work something out.

How should I get in touch if I run into problems?

There’s this email address calledsupport@giantbomb.comthat you might want to keep handy if anything comes up! Otherwise, you can reply to this topic and I’ll do my best to answer any general questions you have.

Support@giantbomb.com?

No Caption Provided
FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 17

I don't like change, change scares me!

(Thank you for this, nice to see improvements are being made.)

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@rorie said:

Would you like to know more?

No Caption Provided

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

Thanks for the update Rorie, glad you guys are able to get help on that front now.

tgammet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

good jerb

hi_im_rob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I hope this frees up your time to do more quick looks/UPF's Rorie!

Hyuzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmm, this post needs more puppies.

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Won't affect me, but it's really nice to see this kind of customer service. Thank you Rorie!

JeremySpittle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

You reminded me that my sub is up this month. Being billed once a year for things is weird, I completely forget about paying things. Will things like the $15 shirt code and the reddit gold promo still be operable?

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

I hope this frees up your time to do more quick looks/UPF's Rorie!

Now 100% of Rorie's time will be answering support emails about subscriptions.

Just kidding.

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 4

I just recently cancelled my sub because i dont think the content is worth it. the site has become too much wrestling, anime and old games for my liking. Im about moving forward, and GB seems to be looking behind. If i was mgr. i would currently have scheduled:

Breaking brad: Ziggurat on Hard

GBE: Vinny full play through of Bloodborne

As this is a community driven site, why was Thursday night throw down abandoned? So many popular MP out there and nothing? Seriously? Fighting games, shooters left and right and they dont wan to play with the community for a few hours?

Multiple quick looks of certain titles. Some of the games understandable only require :30-:45 minutes but to game like Pillars of Eternity and Dragon Age it isnt enough these are popular games that deserve more than the sub par qls they have received.

Series of jeff playing Nintendo shovelware.

OGJackWagon69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really appreiciate the addition of full on paypall, thank you!

paulunga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@me3639: I'm the exact opposite of this person. I love the content you're producing right now.

I also like balancing out negativity. That's kind of a bonus.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Glad to hear it! I hope the new system will be a bit smoother and take off some of the burden from you, Rorie. :)

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@me3639: Way too much anime on GB, I agree. Was weird that last week's Bombcast was just Naruto discussions!

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Time until I get an email saying I should change my password?

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Time until I get an email saying I should change my password?

All credit card data is stored off-site, so even if someone got your password, they wouldn't have access to any of your credit card details. Even I don't have access to full credit card details for subscribers and I interface with our credit card processor every day. Our current CC processor, Braintree, is owned by Paypal and has a page about their security here, and our new processor, Recurly, has some pretty good security itself.

forteexe21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So it should be safe to subscribe next week? Was planning to get a monthly plan sometime this week but i can wait. Also, disappointed on the lack of puppies.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So it should be safe to subscribe next week? Was planning to get a monthly plan sometime this week but i can wait. Also, disappointed on the lack of puppies.

Theoretically new signups should work sometime tomorrow or Thursday. They'll hopefully be definitely working by next week, though, yes.

betaband

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds good, Rorie!

DriveupLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Rorie you da man as usual!

memetic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Mainwaring

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Mainwaring

I am glad I can continue to rely on Giant Bomb for Starship Troopers references.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

Thanks for the update, Rorie! Hopefully this makes things easier on your end.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-583dfbc21c8a9
deactivated-583dfbc21c8a9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'M SCARED SOMEONE CALL OBAMA

Avatar image for doohickerdonald
Doohickerdonald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

More puppies please!

Code601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Was just trying to update my card details for a resub in a few days, Thanks Rorie. I will check back again on monday.

Cats forever tho.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yay! It's nice to have nice billing!

klutchxls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey, i just want to take the opportunity to say that my sub got all kinda messed up a few months ago and MY MAN RORIE fixed it wit a quickness. Not only a great site and community, but great service as well. Love the 'bomb!

rand0mZer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I didn't realize things got that messy. Hopefully these changes make things go alot more smoothly for you Rorie.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

As long as their credit card billing service is one of the smart ones.

I've had trouble in the past with billing systems that are too simplistic, that only do a surface comparison of your CC's bank country and billing/service country and instantly reject the card without actually even making the bank request for payment. Origin does that, PSN, some smaller companies that had to outsource their billing, it's just so stuck behind the times and an incredible hassle. The GB billing system was thankfully not one of those, so hopefully this new outsourced one won't be either.

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

This explqins why I was a subscriber for like 2 months after I cancelled. I always thought it was free time built up from downtime and such.

zokamoka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By zokamoka

Wait Rorie was doing all the billing stuff, yikes!
Well he can finally relax now?

flameboy84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Glad to hear. Thus far having been a monthly member and then progressing over to yearly I never had problems actually renewing as @rorie did a fantastic job at linking my account and all that jazz (I do remember my sub "badge" vanished and he fixed that) but anything that makes that workload easier to manage for you guys is good in my book!

HoboKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By HoboKnight

I emailed support, but wanted to post here as well. I resubbed at the start of February but tonight my account reverted to free. I double checked emails and credit card statements and I was definitely renewed for a year at the start of February. Hopefully this gets resolved soon

TekkWizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By TekkWizard

@hoboknight: I've had this issue as well. Reverted to free today just one day after I renewed.

libb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#40  Edited By libb

@tekkwizard: Same here. I have an email from April 1st telling me they charged me for the month, but the billing page says I'm now a free member. Hopefully Rorie and Co. will get everything straightened out shortly.

EDIT: And now I look at my comment and I still have my subscriber badge. Hell if I know Chewbacca.

Griffinmills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Had a bad sinking feeling when I saw the title of this thread but the actual topic was about processing payments and sounds like generally good news.

TyrellOCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By TyrellOCP

Thank you for keeping us informed, Rorie. Fingers crossed the transition goes smoothly and this is the last we hear about it.

TekkWizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By TekkWizard

@libb: Yeah, It's weird. Would you mind letting me know if yours comes back? I just want to watch videos I'm paying for haha.

Just to clarify for anyone else with this issue, this is a new account I subscribed on April 11. I thought it would kinda solve everything to just go new, but I may have wasted money because it reverted to free after watching a couple videos. It's not the end of the world, but I wanted to put it out here.

Avatar image for deactivated-605aadbc9fe23
deactivated-605aadbc9fe23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Didn't see this until after I subscribed. I signed up (finally) a couple days ago and have yet for my premium membership to kick in.

neshcom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By neshcom

Having issue loading premium contents too. Account page and method page say I've got yearly, but I can't get videos to play.

DonMFJohnson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can watch premium content but my account page says I'm a free member. Also, no subscription management options are available. Guess they are working on it?

TekkWizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donmfjohnson: Looks like they're definitely working on it. I couldn't do anything before, but now I can watch premium.

ThomasCro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's impossible to load UPF, the download speed is at 12kbps, is it because of this?

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

@rorie

I was one of the few that slipped through the cracks and lost my monthly subscription, took a few days off and re-subscribed but I am still seeing advertisements before every video. Is this a change that wasn't mentioned, that monthly subscribers still see ads now? Or have I missed some setting I checked off two years ago and have totally forgotten about?

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By rorie

@nodima said:

@rorie

I was one of the few that slipped through the cracks and lost my monthly subscription, took a few days off and re-subscribed but I am still seeing advertisements before every video. Is this a change that wasn't mentioned, that monthly subscribers still see ads now? Or have I missed some setting I checked off two years ago and have totally forgotten about?

Monthly members shouldn't see ads. Is this still happening for you? Try logging out and back in?