I don't have a console anymore (long story), which one should I get and why? (PC NOT INCLUDED)

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By SathingtonWaltz
bravetoaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By bravetoaster

PS3 & 360

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#3  Edited By BeachThunder

Well, what console did you have before. At least give us some of the story...

SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SathingtonWaltz
@Axxol: lol I can't afford both dude.
ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By ch13696

The Wii. It's always best to stand on the side lines and see the flame war against the Xbox 360 and PS3 go on. If you get one, you will have hate from the other. Either that or get both the 360 and PS3. Find them used if you can.

MadeinFinland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By MadeinFinland

PC. : ) 

For consoles, my favorite is Xbox.

SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SathingtonWaltz
@BeachThunder: I used to have a PS3, but I always felt like it was missing somthing... The 360 certainly seems a lot more lively and fun to have, but there seem to be a real lack of games for that platform. The Wii has quite a few games I am interested in, but it's lack of online features turns me off a bit. I do have an 26" HDTV capable of 720p and 1080i resolutions if that helps.
StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By StrikeALight

Personally, having owned all three at some point, I just own a 360 these days (Slim version) and a PC. 

The exclusives are better on the PS3 (tech-wise) but multi-plat titles generally perform better on the 360. It really depends if you're bothered about the exclusives on either platform.

The PS3 line-up is looking particularly hot over the next few months into 2011. (I might need to re-invest in a PS3 slim, lol.)

Another advantage to the PS3 is the blue-ray player. My pc has a BR drive, so that doesn't affect me.

I found online connectivity to be better on the 360, but obviously you have to pay premium for that.

Avatar image for bobby_the_great
Bobby_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Bobby_The_Great

Depends, PS3 for free online, Xbox for Live and Achievements. I think some of the exclusives are better on PS3 (Uncharted, Ratchet and Clank, Infamous, God of War), but if you're into shooters, go 360; Gears, Halo and so on. Ideally, I use my 360 more for Live, but you know the PS3 is more bang for buck, IMO especially those low on cash.
SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SathingtonWaltz
@StrikeALight: I'm not too concerned with Blu-Ray, but you are right about the PS3 exclusives... the quantity is superior to the Xbox 360's.
BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BeachThunder
@SathingtonWaltz said:
" @BeachThunder: I used to have a PS3, but I always felt like it was missing somthing... The 360 certainly seems a lot more lively and fun to have, but there seem to be a real lack of games for that platform. The Wii has quite a few games I am interested in, but it's lack of online features turns me off a bit. I do have an 26" HDTV capable of 720p and 1080i resolutions if that helps. "
If you have a reasonable PC, then I would say go with Wii. Else, I would actually say 360, since you already had a PS3 and felt it was "missing something". So, there's no real point getting another PS3 if you were dissatisfied the first time around.
Hashbrowns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By Hashbrowns

You can't go wrong with either the PS3 or X360 really.  I can't speak for the Wii.
Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jack268

I own all 3 of those, and I'd say Xbox 360 (IN MY OPINION) because (IN MY OPINION) the controller is better and multiplat releases often get screwed on the PS3. 

Of course, it's very circumstantial. I bought a PS3 almost exclusively for Super Street Fighter IV because all my friends have a PS3 and the community on Giant Bomb's Street Fighter forums was stronger at the time on PS3. Things like what your friends own and if you're willing to pay for gold membership must be taken in consideration. 

I personally think Wii is bloody annoying, the Nunchuck kills my wrist after just a few minutes of play and it's online functions are pretty non-existent. I hear it's got great homebrew emulators and such but I really just stick to my other consoles. 

Fuck it, I'll throw this out there too: a PS2 is awesome and will save you $200 or so. You can find games on amazon for just a few dollars for it and there are a LOT of good games. I just rediscovered my love for the PS2 and will say that 'twas a good generation.

The best part of the current generation is HD and the internet connectivity, but if you can live without it, PS2. If you can't, Xbox 360 or PS3 depending on where your friends are. If you don't have any friends, Xbox 360.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AhmadMetallic

PS3

bearshamanbro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By bearshamanbro

I'd go with PS3 because they have more heavy hitters coming and seem to have a lot of momentum. I understand the Live thing though being a big plus. PSN totally works and is not bad at all, it's just nothing special. It's like a steak dinner with no seasoning. But hey, it's free.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By zeforgotten

People actually call PCs "Consoles" ? hah.. 

Get whatever you want, unless you're really gonna let us decide for you and you'll do exactly what we say. 
I demand that you buy a My Little Pony game for the PC before your purchase a new console! 
Are you gonna do it? No?  

Then in the end you're probably gonna get the console you feel like getting anyway.   

otaku313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By otaku313
I have had all three at some point in time. I would choose the PS3. Better quality/quantity of games, free(-ish) online, Blu-Ray, and better third party support(I bet more and more devs will put PS3 exclusive content on their third party games). Unless your going to be in the online scene heavy, its not much the 360 can do that the Ps3 cant do equally or better.
Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By Kyreo
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
" PS3 "
ShadowMountain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ShadowMountain

Do you really need to ask this question? Just take a look at the platform exclusives and see what appeals to you most. Since you have a PC any multuplatform games will most likely be superior on it so there is no need to factor that into your decision.

Avatar image for rinsewashrepeat
RinseWashRepeat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By RinseWashRepeat

What have your friends got? 
What exclusives are you most into?
Do you already have games from a previous console?

Personally, I'm on my Xbox most as my online 'friends' all play on the Xbox.
Saying that, the best exclusives are on the PS3. God of War, Metal Gear Solid, Heavy Rain, Killzone and some more I can't think of off the top of my head.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#21  Edited By Daveyo520

Why such the hate for the PC? :(

Nasos100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22  Edited By Nasos100
@SathingtonWaltz:  i'd say the ps3. came out later, which means it has better high-end tech ( you can see where that plays in FF XIII ) has blu-ray support and the exclusives are much better . The xbox is great aswell but to be honest i cant find a good reason to reccomend it instead of the ps3. And for multiplatform titles i dont think they play better on xbox 360.
Final Fantasy XIII is better on PS3 and so is darksiders. Batman AA and red dead redemption is the same quality. Same thing with Call of Duty titles as far as i know. Gamespot listed the ps3 version of dragon age better aswell.  Bayonetta is better on the 360 but definately you cant say '' multiplatform titles play better on 360'' per say. 

Also no offense but the idea of making a poll was not the best. To the majority of people this translates to: what is your console of choice? 
also: if you dont have a gaming PC and you can have ONLY ONE console that sure as hell cant be the wii. Its either gonna be an xbox or ps3.
Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#23  Edited By Little_Socrates

I have NO idea what kind of games you like, so I totally can't tell you. For example, if you're into platformers, PS3 is right out, but if you're into shooters, the Wii is out of the question. 

I would probably guess that, for most people, the 360 is the most varied option, but all three consoles are pretty sweet lately.

SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SathingtonWaltz
@Nasos100: Why not the Wii? I'm beginning to lean toward it...
RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By RsistncE

PC

Famov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Famov

Is the PC out because you already game on it or because of the price of upgrading to a good one is prohibitive? 

If it's the former, you have very little reason to get an Xbox or a PS3 short of conditional things like exclusives and what your friends play on. If it's the latter, you simply have to compare all three consoles and decide what games you want more. 

I voted Wii.
halberdierv2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27  Edited By halberdierv2

PS3. 360 WILL ROT YOUR BRAINS!!!
sjosz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By sjosz

I would personally pick a 360, but it really depends on the particular games you would want to play. PS3 has some exclusive titles worth seeing like God of War 3 and Killzone, whereas the Xbox360 has a more reliable online browsing platform in Xbox Live (IMO) and the Halo franchise as far as popular online shooting games go. Consider what you want to get the system for.

bravetoaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By bravetoaster
@SathingtonWaltz said:
" @Axxol: lol I can't afford both dude. "
I've had my 360 longer then I've had my PS3, so I player the latter less. 

You don't have to pay a subscription fee to play PS3 online and it has a lower system failure rate (unless you get the new 360 Slim). Get the PS3.
SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SathingtonWaltz
@Famov: The reason I left the PC out is because I plan on building my own this Christmas. For a budget of 500 dollars these are the specs:  

CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 445 3.1 GHz Triple-Core 95W 
RAM: Wintec AMPX 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1333MHz 
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 5770 1GB
Hard Drive: Samsung F4 320GB SATA 
Mrskidders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Mrskidders

Xbox 360 or PS3.  For the love of fucks sake don't buy a Wii.

TheCunning

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TheCunning

Choose anything but the Wii.

Avatar image for rinsewashrepeat
RinseWashRepeat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By RinseWashRepeat
@TheCunning:
The Wii has plenty of fine games. 

It's just not worth a shout if you're after current-gen graphics or online play (online play that's worth playing, at least). 

For all we know the OP could be a super fan of Mario et all. Although if that WAS the case he'd already own a Wii...
kratier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By kratier

depends what you want to do: 
singleplayer : ps3 
multiplayer: 360 

ps3's pros: lots of exclusives, lots of great games, free online 
360's pros: more people, more popular,  
ps3's cons: less people, shady online , multiplats suck usually on PS3 because devs are lazy 
360's cons: RROD, hardware errors, software updates causing hardware errors, worrying about warranty, people think 2 years and it not breaking is a GREAT thing, paying for online 

i own a ps3 and my PC recently broke, and im considering getting a 360 instead of buying a brand new PC. (which just ends up running crappy multiplats all the time) 
Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#35  Edited By Icemael

If you're just going to own one console it's pretty much between the PS3 and the 360 (the Wii is easily the best as a secondary console, but it's horrible as a primary one), and it comes down to the controllers, the online functionalities and the exclusives. I'm gonna assume you have a pretty good idea of which controller you prefer, and I don't play online so I can't comment on that, but here's a list of all the exclusives I've played, ordered after how much I liked them, and with extremely brief descriptions:

1. Espgaluda II Black Label (X360) -- An absolute masterpiece of a vertical shmup.
  2. Mushihime-sama Futari Ver 1.5 (X360) -- Another masterpiece of a vertical shmup.
  3. Shadow Complex  (X360) -- Great modern take on the metroidvania formula.
  4. Tales of Vesperia  (X360) -- Stunning JRPG with real-time beat 'em up battles.
  5. Gears of War 2 (X360) -- Still the best cover-based shooter on the market, Vanquish aside.
  6. Valkyria Chronicles (PS3) -- Beautiful SRPG with a really cool combat system: part turn-based, part real-time.
  7. Alan Wake (X360) -- One of the most atmospheric, immersive games I've played. So-so mechanically.
  8. Demon's Souls (PS3) -- Challenging, addictive action RPG with great atmosphere.
  9. Fable II  (X360) -- A goofy, atmospheric feel-good adventure -- if you don't mind a healthy dose of jank.
  10. inFamous (PS3) -- Second only to Batman: Arkham Asylum in making you feel like a comic-book superhero.
  11. WarTech: Senko no Ronde (X360) -- A versus 2D shmup. Great fun if you've got someone to play with.
  12. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (PS3) -- Sloppy, shallow Gears of War clone with some really cool environments.
  13. Killzone 2 (PS3) -- Stiff, sluggish first-person shooter that looks and sounds absolutely fantastic.
  14. Dead Rising 2: CZ (X360) -- Successfully captures the zombie apocalypse feel. Not a lot to it mechanically.
  15. Ninja Blade (X360) -- Awful as a 3D beat 'em up, but has a ton of kick-ass cutscene... sorry, quick-time events.
  16. Limbo (X360) -- Mediocre, challenge-free puzzle-platformer.
  17. Siren: Blood Curse (PS3) -- Scare-free survival horror with focus on clunky stealth and clunkier melee combat.
  18. God of War III (PS3) -- Great graphics, but it's one of the shallowest, mashiest 3D beat 'em ups I've ever played.
  19. flower (PS3) -- Tech demo with shitty controls and zero substance.
X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#36  Edited By X19
PS3 

It used to do nothing.  

But now it only does everything. 

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By BeachThunder
@X19 said:
" PS3  It only does everything. "
It doesn't play 360 exclusives, it doesn't play Wii exclusives, it doesn't play PC exclusives, it doesn't help old ladies across the street :(
X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By X19
@BeachThunder: It doesn't play Halo but watching Halo: Legends on Blu ray is basically the same thing, you can mod it to play snes and N64 games which are the classics who needs more mario, PC what exclusives, the cell processor is in her wheelchair that guides her across the road safely :)
BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By BeachThunder
@X19 said:
" @BeachThunder:PC what exclusives, the cell processor is in her wheelchair that guides her across the road safely :) "
Ask Hitman :o

Also, someone really needs to make a PS3 powered wheelchair =D
X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By X19
@BeachThunder: The best of Hitman was done last generation on PS2 and will probably be remastered for the PSN Store.

I'm sure Sony did that during R&D and that's why the 360 got a head start this generation lol 
TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By TheGremp

PS3 has no games.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By NTM

Well if you don't have money for the other systems, you'll obviously want to go for PS3 since you get free internet. And Wii, I personally feel it's starting to get better games and I've been wanting to put it back in my room to play the exclusive games that have come out this year. But overall you should go for the PS3 since it's a pain to buy Live on the 360. I'm dreading the fact my Live account will be done this month since I have no more money. Sigh... Maybe my brother will help me get it back :P. But yeah, PS3 has great games, and free internet play. And why not PC? I know you're just asking and yet you'll already have your mind set before taking people's word on this topic. It's funny how people ask these things.
ImpendingFoil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ImpendingFoil

If you are going to do nothing but play Madden, Call of Duty and you really love Gears and Halo get a 360.

If none of those are really that important get a PS3.  In my opinion they have the better exclusives.

I have both and I pretty much only use my 360 to play Gears of War 3 when that comes out and play Mass Effect.