Jeff comments on budget/new hires from his blog.

• 188 results
MosaicM80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MosaicM80

Most of you know this or maybe it's already been posted before, but I wanted to at least put it up since this is the first I've heard about this. I've been wondering about the GB crew getting some new people in for a while now and Jeff commented on the budget, how GB is doing and possible new hires/new features from his blog. (http://blog.jeffgerstmann.net/). So I thought I would repost here for anyone who hasn't seen it yet.

"Wait, a message board thread is speculating about things they don’t actually know anything about? Weird.

Here’s the short version: If I didn’t still think that there was a way for us to create the content we want to create and grow into something bigger and cooler, I would have left last year.

I’m tempted to leave it at that since forum junk like that typically doesn’t warrant an answer, but the site’s actually doing really well. Just kinda slogging through the process of getting budget shit locked down and putting a proper “let’s actually get some more people in here because this is completely ridiculous” plan together. It’s taken forever to get to this point but it seems like everyone is finally in basic agreement about pushing a reasonably-sized pile of money my way and letting me spend it on humans.

We should get that new video player pushed out next week, and that comes with a larger code merge that’ll make it easier for engineers to actually add new features to the site. We’re talking about finding better ways to showcase premium videos as one of the early things we’d like to change, and the wiki needs some additional attention (but that’s a larger, more difficult project). We’ll start messing around with mid-roll video ads in the near future, but it looks like we’re going to eventually remove ads for monthly members, too. It’s sort of a careful balancing act between bringing money in so we can continue to afford additional hires without making the site look like garbage or putting 100% of our stuff behind a paywall. The podcast ads seem to be doing especially well. I’d like to bring back a free, regular live show at some point.

We’re also talking about road trips and tours and bringing back the Big Live Live Show and a bunch of other wild shit, but that’s all further off, just kinda kicking ideas around at the moment."

UPDATE FOR CONTEXT: Here is the original question that prompted this answer, my apologies for not putting it in originally.

"Anonymous asked:

There's a thread on GAF and they are speculating that Giant Bomb is in danger of disappearing/that the website hasn't been doing well lately. I know it's GAF and they are usually full of shit but I'm still a little worried and I don't really follow the business side of the website. Is there any veracity to their claims or is this just GAF being GAF?"

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This makes me happy and hopeful :)

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

We’ll start messing around with mid-roll video ads in the near future

I hope they get somebody to find decent breaks in videos for these ads, and that they're not an automatic thing.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

@mosaicm80 said:

We’ll start messing around with mid-roll video ads in the near future

I hope they get somebody to find decent breaks in videos for these ads, and that they're not an automatic thing.

I hope what happens is that Jeff or whoever else says "and now a moment from our sponsors!" and then the premium feed is them just sitting in silence until the ad is over.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Yeah, this was great news. Really hope they find some good people to bring on.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#6  Edited By Video_Game_King

@geraltitude:

Or they make up fake ads in place of the real ads.

MosaicM80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, this was great news. Really hope they find some good people to bring on.

Same here, I'm looking forward to see who they bring in. I still kind of wish Danny O'Dwyer could come over to the Giant Bomb side of things. But he's a Gamespot dude mostly it seems.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mrfluke

Really curious who Jeff plans to hire. he's been talking about this for a while on tumblr. so he definitely has people in mind.

my bets are on Jeff green and fully bringing in Danny o Dwyer as a GB employee.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

@geraltitude:

Or they make up fake ads in place of the real ads.

now you're talking.

or...

Wait for it: the bombcrew does the ads, just like on the podcast. That, I would be down for.

MosaicM80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait for it: the bombcrew does the ads, just like on the podcast. That, I would be down for.

That would be awesome! My vote is on them doing the ads! I always get a good laugh out of the podcast ads.

PimblyCharles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@mosaicm80: Oh another Big Live Live Show would make my year

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Good. I'm glad he's finally opened up a bit more about that, and I wish Jeff would be a bit more transparent about this kind of stuff. While his cryptic hints and jokes about budgets, hiring, and bureaucracy never bothered me, it's easy to see why it would make some people worry about the state of the site. Giantbomb lives and dies by its personalities and the close relationship they have with the community, so being more direct with this kind of information is nothing but a good thing.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

I will actually be offended if they do not hire Danny.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

You know what I fucking hate? That shit like this is not on giant bomb and that you need to go to twitter or where this thing was to find out this information. Why isn't this a monthly forum thread on the site? Why do we need to go to other sites to find out information about the site that many of us are paying money for? I never understood that. If he takes the time to read through and answer question like that why can't there be an official monthly post on the front page with this stuff in it? A state of the site address or something.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I love how the tone of that blog post is "oh my gawd why are you people bothering me about this shit?" like the Giant Bomb audience should just absorb all of this information we've never been given through osmosis.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#16  Edited By Kidavenger

@crusader8463: I'm guessing because they are all ideas and nothing is set in stone; if they had posted that stuff here and none of it ends up happening some people here would get upset because they would have built up expectations.

It's nice that they share as much as they do.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#17 fisk0  Moderator

@geraltitude said:

That would be awesome! My vote is on them doing the ads! I always get a good laugh out of the podcast ads.

That's kinda how I wish all ads on the site were handled.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By crusader8463

@crusader8463: I'm guessing because they are all ideas and nothing is set in stone; if they had posted that stuff here and none of it ends up happening some people here would get upset because they would have built up expectations.

It's nice that they share as much as they do.

Then say that at the top of the post. That's why I liked Jar Time so much. Everyone knew it was just Jeff rambling about what he thought and that nothing was taken as gospel. Most of this community are adults or people that can put enough brain cells together to know those things. At least I like to think so. Maybe I'm giving the community too much credit, but this place has always had a smarter then average group of people compared to the moronic people that seem to make up most video game communities. I like to think this one is smart enough to know that.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"A message board thread"? No Jeff. Your message board thread.

I wish the staff would use their own boards instead of Gaf or whatever shit.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Danny works for CBSi already

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By BlackLagoon

@beachthunder said:

I doubt Gamespot would be thrilled about the idea of giving him up, and we don't know what exactly Danny himself wants either.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I'm real excited after reading that. It gives me hope for this site's future. I can't wait for all the fun shenanigans to come.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By AlexanderSheen

@canteu said:

"A message board thread"? No Jeff. Your message board thread.

I wish the staff would use their own boards instead of Gaf or whatever shit.

There was a time like that... long ago...

Anyway, it's good hear that the site is doing well. Seeing other sites closing down made me a little bit concerned about GB.

blair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By blair

Jeff Green, please. Thanks.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#25  Edited By musubi

Did anyone really have doubts in Jeff? I know I didn't.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By bybeach

You know what I fucking hate? That shit like this is not on giant bomb and that you need to go to twitter or where this thing was to find out this information. Why isn't this a monthly forum thread on the site? Why do we need to go to other sites to find out information about the site that many of us are paying money for? I never understood that. If he takes the time to read through and answer question like that why can't there be an official monthly post on the front page with this stuff in it? A state of the site address or something.

I don't know if I hate it, but there is some truth to this. Perhaps Jeff felt that this is not apropo for the site right now, thus not blogged on the site. I don't do twitter. I'm just not that hooked in, though very occasionally I will listen and watch Jeff drive home. Lol. Even tried to sign in for comments, but hit a snag.

I do not know if GB will get to steal GS employees. I do hope one or two. Internal politics may be difficult also, even if amongst the 6 'guys' I can think of right now.

What GB has taught me is to be minimalist in my expectations, but that those expectations may be ones of quality, rather than quantity. I'm pretty happy w/that formula. Future hires will be difficult for both reaching out to the wide subscriber base, and meshing with the other GB Personalities.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i'm glad jeff stuck it out, i couldn't imagine him leaving or the site going away. and this stuff all bodes well. i have faith he'll get some fine people to join the crew (even if everyone here despises them for the next few months/years).

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

This made me happy reading it. I'm hoping GB can get some great new hires and I'd love for the return for a new and improved Professional Wednesdays show.

skyline7284

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

I want to see Giantbomb steal Justin McElroy from Polygon...

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@ripelivejam said:

i'm glad jeff stuck it out, i couldn't imagine him leaving or the site going away. and this stuff all bodes well. i have faith he'll get some fine people to join the crew (even if everyone here despises them for the next few months/years).

Where did this expectation come from? Because of Patrick? He was kind of an asshole in the beginning and rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. He's certainly grown and become one of the more endearing members of the crew, but that first year was super rocky. Calling all of it irrational hatred of some "new guy" is pretty blind.

I don't think it's fair to say whoever the new hire is will get the same treatment because the one new hire they had made a bad first impression.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds great to me. Jeff will do the right thing I am sure^^

BlamBlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By BlamBlam

People are interested in these things and want to speculate because they care about the site. If discussion concerning the future and direction of the site from the fans is "forum junk" then what the hell is the rest of the shit posted on here?

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crusader8463 said:

Not to disagree, because I've felt this way this I first posted on the forums years ago back when Dave kept floating the idea of virtual town-halls, which never happened, but I would bet there are business reasons for not wanting to do that. It encourages people to seek out the staff on social media sites, which probably looks really good in some skeezy business-ese during a meeting or business review. "Social media presence" and all that. Consolidating stuff on the site probably doesn't have any benefit, even if I would prefer it, since those visitors are already here.

Anywho, I'm glad the site's doing well, and I hope Jeff chooses the right folks to make the site better at what it does. As always, I hope the site sticks to it's strengths, rather than diverting from them.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ripelivejam said:

Where did this expectation come from? Because of Patrick? He was kind of an asshole in the beginning and rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. He's certainly grown and become one of the more endearing members of the crew, but that first year was super rocky. Calling all of it irrational hatred of some "new guy" is pretty blind.

I don't think it's fair to say whoever the new hire is will get the same treatment because the one new hire they had made a bad first impression.

Yeah, that was kind of a loaded statement. In the beginning I didn't liked Patrick at all (not because he was new, that's just stupid) but now he's more than okay in my books. He changed over the years for the better and that shows.

Also, by that logic we should have hated Rorie, considering technically he's the newest GB member.

GnaTSoL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope jeff hires someone from the GB community.

It would feel right.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36  Edited By EuanDewar

I want someone I've never heard of. Fuck it

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

20-forward mofo!!

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The 1st year of kessler was the worst thing ever in the history of the universe. But I actually really liked 2nd year kessler.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gnatsol said:

It would feel right.

I think @fattony12000 should be hired.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gnatsol said:

It would feel right.

I think @fattony12000 should be hired.

I'd trust a guy named Fat Tony

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Basically, they're doing what they can and moving forward.

So that's nice, time to not think about this again til news comes.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

if they take the entire budget, go to vegas and bet it all on black they could hire twice as many people

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

I wouldn't mind a developer podcast update thing but now the developers are also part of CBS and working on everything I know that becomes harder. Right now all we really have is...Alexis? Still, love to hear him on a podcast...that way I can maybe call in and not forget I had my serial killer voice filter on like an idiot...

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

Context is fun, you guys...

The original question was about a GAF post, not a post on Giant Bomb's forums.

There's a thread on GAF and they are speculating that Giant Bomb is in danger of disappearing/that the website hasn't been doing well lately. I know it's GAF and they are usually full of shit but I'm still a little worried and I don't really follow the business side of the website. Is there any veracity to their claims or is this just GAF being GAF?

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

You know he is like, Number 2 at Polygon right? That's almost as crazy as hoping for Polygon to steal Jeff.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@ssully said:

@skyline7284 said:

You know he is like, Number 2 at Polygon right? That's almost as crazy as hoping for Polygon to steal Jeff.

That doesn't stop people from speculating around here. Hardly a week goes by without a thread in which someone states a desire for Giant Bomb to hire a particular person despite that person's current employment status or personal level of desire to jump ship for Giant Bomb or anywhere else. The funniest ones are always the suggestions that they should hire someone that left game journalism for a position in the actual development industry more or less because that person worked for Gamespot alongside Jeff once upon a time.

jiggajoe14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@turboman said:

Context is fun, you guys...

The original question was about a GAF post, not a post on Giant Bomb's forums.

There's a thread on GAF and they are speculating that Giant Bomb is in danger of disappearing/that the website hasn't been doing well lately. I know it's GAF and they are usually full of shit but I'm still a little worried and I don't really follow the business side of the website. Is there any veracity to their claims or is this just GAF being GAF?

Context is boring though

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ripelivejam said:

I respect yours and some others people's opinion, but back then, I got the feeling there were definitely a group of people who disliked Patrick because he was "ruining the vibe" of the main four. So much that they projected their own feelings and seriously believed the main four secretly disliked Patrick and were annoyed with his behavior on a daily basis. It became the new "Does Ryan hate Brad?"

I agree Patrick has naturally matured, but I don't think he was ever awful. Maybe you and others saw something I didn't, but considering the rest of the staff seemed to like him fine from the beginning, I kind of take their word for it since they know him and I don't.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gah! I'm so excited to see where everything goes! I love this site. It's easily been the biggest, constant, positive thing in my life over the past six-ish years.

Also, I'll restate that I would be willing to work at Giant Bomb.

Nals

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's been on here. Twice. In two different Jar Times Jeff has mentioned he's planning on hiring new people, and is just calculating the money they get from ads first. He then mentioned again he's trying new ads in the future, and wants to get their money situation in a good place before they really start hiring new people. Or the other part on Jar Time when he mentioned they basically have to wait for the new fiscal quarter before CBSi really gives them the money they need, they need to prove they are worth the money, and that they did in fact prove they are worth the money, so it's basically a waiting game.

This is on top of Rorie outright saying in a few previous threads about this that yes, GB is looking for new people RIGHT NOW.

They've been pretty transparent that the main reason January was so light on content was due to Jeff/Vinny sitting in boardroom meetings most days trying to get men in suits to give them money/hire specific people, and ordering new equipment.