Jeff comments on budget/new hires from his blog.

• 188 results
None_Braver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151  Edited By None_Braver

@none_braver said:

I wonder if Ryan's passing made Jeff think about moving on.

Also, it really bums me out that the guys don't interact on the forums for the website that they run. All the other sites I pay for have the staff interact with us.

You realize Jeff posted in this very thread, right?

One time out of how many tens of thousands of threads? My statements still stands.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@none_braver said:

@wrighteous86

@none_braver said:

Also, it really bums me out that the guys don't interact on the forums for the website that they run. All the other sites I pay for have the staff interact with us.

One time out of how many tens of thousands of threads? My statements still stands.

Oh give it a rest.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

@wrighteous86

@none_braver said:

Maybe they just don't like you. I've had plenty of interaction with all of them.

AngriGhandi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154  Edited By AngriGhandi

My fellow duders; the state of Giant Bomb is...

"still a threat!!"

(Two minutes of applause)

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

@wrighteous86

@none_braver said:

If you want to directly interact with them, use Twitter or Tumblr. There's so many posts on here it is easy to get lost. I've had tons of questions answered by Jeff on Tumblr and have had Twitter interactions with Jeff, Ryan, Dave, and Rorie (and the GB mods!).

I always find it funny when people question Jeff's (and the others) commitment to the community. Jeff basically runs a separate podcast he makes every time he commutes (and now it even has Dave a few days a week. Even better). He doesn't do that for himself, quite obviously.

hippocrit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156  Edited By hippocrit
fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alwaysbebombing said:

@jimmyfenix said:

@gnatsol said:

I hope jeff hires someone from the GB community.

It would feel right.

I think @fattony12000 should be hired.

I'd trust a guy named Fat Tony

He still hasn't brought us his General Ryan Davis civ! He must be ousted!

1. Urgh.
  2. Good on you for hassling me about it, I know I've been slacking. I WILL get it done for you.
  3. I'll work on it tonight after work, and every night thereafter until it is done.
  4. Sorry.
Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Sorry for speculating on things I know nothing about, Jeff. Having a uninformed conversation about something I like is truly a shitty thing to do.

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Giant Bomb forever, a hundered years giant bomb adventures. W w w giant bomb adventures, a hunderd years Giant Bomb dot com.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#160  Edited By Humanity

@wrighteous86: I don't mean this in an offensive or derogatory way but I honestly don't really know much about your street cred - you work in the industry or something? Honestly the one thing I associate with you is dating the attractive Bombette from England and thats about it. Inside information or not I never really expected Jeff Green to come here so it's not all too surprising. The site seems like it has been moving at a snails pace in the evolutionary department, and content has been on and off but steadily falling towards disarray. As someone once mentioned, we went from a weekly, fully produced I love Mondays, to a weekly off-the-cuff I love Mondays, to missing episodes to the current state of no I love Mondays. This drop in production quality as well as scheduling dependability has ironically been inversely proportional to the site growth. We went from a couple of guys running a small startup out of a basement creating fully produced segments that met weekly schedules, to a couple of guys in a professional office with an established site and access to equipment filming themselves off a flip cam before abandoning that completely.

I still love the site and all that, still pay for the premium subscription despite it being kind of a raw deal for people living outside the US, but I hope this new injection of money Jeff is talking about will get the site back on track.

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

@fattony12000: That's okay Mr. Tony. You're still a pretty cool dude.

Avatar image for machofantastico
MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#162  Edited By MachoFantastico

To me, whenever Jeff as discussed budget related things it always seems pretty typical. You imagine having to budget in a company like CBS, must be a nightmare and that's why Jeff always seems frustrated with it. I don't think it's some doomsday scenario like some seem to believe. I don't mind stuff like the ads on the podcast, in fact Jeff and Vinny do them rather amusingly compared to the standard read of a sheet that most podcasts do. Plus if it keeps Giant Bomb being Giant Bomb, who cares.

That said, my biggest concern would be WHO they bring in. It needs to be someone who can fit comfortably with the type of crowd Giant Bomb as attracted but there's no denying they need a fresh face in the office because with Patrick and Alex out of office, it looks bare at times and that makes me sad. You'll never be able to replace Ryan though. Dream choice would be Danny O'Dwyer, but I suspect he's happy doing his thing through Gamespot.

aceofspudz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By aceofspudz

@ssully said:

@skyline7284 said:

I want to see Giantbomb steal Justin McElroy from Polygon...

You know he is like, Number 2 at Polygon right? That's almost as crazy as hoping for Polygon to steal Jeff.

But Klepek belongs at Polygon and McElroy belongs at Giantbomb. Trade em!

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Sorry for speculating on things I know nothing about, Jeff. Having a uninformed conversation about something I like is truly a shitty thing to do.

You know he was referring to a specific thread on Gaf and not this community, right?

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By TruthTellah

@earlessshrimp said:

@alwaysbebombing said:

@jimmyfenix said:

@gnatsol said:

It would feel right.

1. Urgh.
  2. Good on you for hassling me about it, I know I've been slacking. I WILL get it done for you.
  3. I'll work on it tonight after work, and every night thereafter until it is done.
  4. Sorry.

You better be sorry, you monster.

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@christoffer said:

You know he was referring to a specific thread on Gaf and not this community, right?

Oops, you're right. I had a thread from GB in recent memory and must've drawn a bad conclusion. I take my snark back.

Ett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Would be nice if the new hire wasn't a white male.

hippocrit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ett: what?!?!?! Discrimination!!!!!!

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

@oldirtybearon said:

@ripelivejam said:

i'm glad jeff stuck it out, i couldn't imagine him leaving or the site going away. and this stuff all bodes well. i have faith he'll get some fine people to join the crew (even if everyone here despises them for the next few months/years).

Where did this expectation come from? Because of Patrick? He was kind of an asshole in the beginning and rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. He's certainly grown and become one of the more endearing members of the crew, but that first year was super rocky. Calling all of it irrational hatred of some "new guy" is pretty blind.

I don't think it's fair to say whoever the new hire is will get the same treatment because the one new hire they had made a bad first impression.

Yeah, that was kind of a loaded statement. In the beginning I didn't liked Patrick at all (not because he was new, that's just stupid) but now he's more than okay in my books. He changed over the years for the better and that shows.

Also, by that logic we should have hated Rorie, considering technically he's the newest GB member.

Except Rorie was involved in Whiskey Media for years and had appeared on site content back in those days. So he sort of got a pass. Patrick did have a bit of a rough beginning and I actually recall quite a few people disliking the early quick looks Alex was involved in.

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

I saw that. I'm glad to hear they're doing well. I imagine Ryan's death last year may have put a wrench in the timing of some budget stuff and certain plans...so I'm happy that everything seems to be going forward regardless.

It'll be exciting to see where things go. I can't wait to see the hyperbolic responses to whomever they decide to hire, if Patrick is any indication of how butthurt people get around here.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@humanity: Eh, no offense taken. I just meant that I've kinda been around here for a while so I figured people would assume I'm not gonna spout bullshit - intentionally at least. This isn't a burner account or anything.

I do have some friends and business contacts in the industry, but I'm not in it, no. I just happened to get some pretty direct info about Jeff Green, and figured I'd elucidate a bit. I'm not too excited about what I heard (not that it's bad news, just not exciting to me), but I like that Jeff's been streaming and getting out there more.

I wish he and Shawn Elliott would start podcasting or doing stuff together when they had the spare time too. I miss GFW Radio.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@raven10 said:

@alexandersheen said:

@oldirtybearon said:

@ripelivejam said:

i'm glad jeff stuck it out, i couldn't imagine him leaving or the site going away. and this stuff all bodes well. i have faith he'll get some fine people to join the crew (even if everyone here despises them for the next few months/years).

Where did this expectation come from? Because of Patrick? He was kind of an asshole in the beginning and rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. He's certainly grown and become one of the more endearing members of the crew, but that first year was super rocky. Calling all of it irrational hatred of some "new guy" is pretty blind.

I don't think it's fair to say whoever the new hire is will get the same treatment because the one new hire they had made a bad first impression.

Yeah, that was kind of a loaded statement. In the beginning I didn't liked Patrick at all (not because he was new, that's just stupid) but now he's more than okay in my books. He changed over the years for the better and that shows.

Also, by that logic we should have hated Rorie, considering technically he's the newest GB member.

Except Rorie was involved in Whiskey Media for years and had appeared on site content back in those days. So he sort of got a pass. Patrick did have a bit of a rough beginning and I actually recall quite a few people disliking the early quick looks Alex was involved in.

people do dislike Rorie, even now.

mak_wikus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animasta said:

@raven10 said:

@alexandersheen said:

@oldirtybearon said:

@ripelivejam said:

people do dislike Rorie, even now.

They are not people. They are monsters. Monsters that also hate puppies.

Mahonay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's always been super obvious how understaffed those poor fuckers are. Here's hoping Jeff is finally able to bring in some fresh meat soon.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By fattony12000
@truthtellah said:

@fattony12000 said:
@earlessshrimp said:

@alwaysbebombing said:

@jimmyfenix said:

@gnatsol said:

It would feel right.

1. Urgh.
  4. Sorry.

No Caption Provided

Version 1 alpha

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Fattony12000/myworkshopfiles (You gotta be ma Lovely Steam Friend to download it, for now.)

I still need to:

1. Make a proper leader symbol for Ryan at the civ select screen.
  2. Not make Ryan part of the Celts civ.
  3. Try to add custom music/voiceover/sound to the intro screen when you start the game as Ryan.
  4. Write more/better text for the descriptions of the civ/mod/leader.
Avatar image for deactivated-600fd4c660493
deactivated-600fd4c660493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I personally would prefer for the crew to stay the way it is. They have a great chemistry right now with Jeff, Vinny, Brad, Drew, Alexis, Matt, Alex, and Patrick. I don't want someone that's obnoxious and calls themselves a "videogame journalist" to join the site. Giantbomb in my eyes is that small business you go to where you trust the people that work there compared to more commercial (IGN or Gamespot). I see Giantbomb as where I come to see people I respect and trust to play games and offer me their genuine, unbiased opinion. Adding more people would kind of be a push towards the commercial direction and we know how that turns out (companies paying for good reviews/fanboys writing for the site). Sorry if my comment comes off as offensive, but that's just the way I see it.

johncallahan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cmblasko said:

Well, Jared Rea DID just leave Twitch... he could be brought on as the senior VGCW correspondent.

Oh.... oh shit. That did just happen didn't it.... Hmmm..... HMMMMM......

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By cloudymusic

@halogamer2145 said:

I personally would prefer for the crew to stay the way it is. They have a great chemistry right now with Jeff, Vinny, Brad, Drew, Alexis, Matt, Alex, and Patrick. I don't want someone that's obnoxious and calls themselves a "videogame journalist" to join the site. Giantbomb in my eyes is that small business you go to where you trust the people that work there compared to more commercial (IGN or Gamespot). I see Giantbomb as where I come to see people I respect and trust to play games and offer me their genuine, unbiased opinion.

I think you should have enough faith in Jeff and GB to not hire people like that.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@halogamer2145: so you want 4 guys to continue the work of 10 people forever?

tofupaige

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am definitely looking forward to the content GB has in store for us this year, I know it will all be awesome

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181  Edited By TruthTellah

@truthtellah said:

@fattony12000 said:
@earlessshrimp said:

@alwaysbebombing said:

@jimmyfenix said:

@gnatsol said:

It would feel right.

1. Urgh.
  4. Sorry.

No Caption Provided

Version 1 alpha

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Fattony12000/myworkshopfiles (You gotta be ma Lovely Steam Friend to download it, for now.)

I still need to:

3. Try to add custom music/voiceover/sound to the intro screen when you start the game as Ryan.

It's progress, Mister Tony. >_>

extintor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#182  Edited By extintor

I like that everyone at GB has licence to be themselves on camera. It makes for natural and watchable content. I like it just as much when the guys are larking about as when they stop and analyse some detail or other with dry precision. Look at Jeff, look at Rorie,...Patrick...Vinny, Brad, Alex... these guys are all completely different personality types but they *all* know their stuff. Their opinions are worth listening to. Along with being themselves (+interesting) on camera, that's really all that matters. I trust Jeff and the guys to hire someone who'll fit in with the dynamic.

MethodMan008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gnatsol said:

It would feel right.

A guy who stole Giant Bomb content for his own YouTube and would spam it in chat?

I'm sure he's changed, but nah.

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By EarlessShrimp

@fattony12000 said:
@truthtellah said:

@fattony12000 said:
@earlessshrimp said:

@alwaysbebombing said:

@jimmyfenix said:

@gnatsol said:

It would feel right.

1. Urgh.
  4. Sorry.

No Caption Provided

Version 1 alpha

I still need to:

It's progress, Mister Tony. >_>

If you need a hand writing out the text or anything, lemme know. More than willing to lend a hand!

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Hire Dave Lang to make flash games for the site.

SharkEthic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jeff said:

"The Raid" is happening at least once a week.

The commute's gonna be terrible, but you can't take it back now, Jeff!

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188  Edited By EarlessShrimp

@fattony12000: cool coolio. I'm assuming it's possible to set their specialty units and buildings too?

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@twolines said:

Giant Bomb forever, a hundered years giant bomb adventures. W w w giant bomb adventures, a hunderd years Giant Bomb dot com.

:D

On a sad note, no R&M this week =(