Jeff comments on budget/new hires from his blog.

• 188 results
chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#51 chaser324  Moderator

@canteu said:

"A message board thread"? No Jeff. Your message board thread.

I wish the staff would use their own boards instead of Gaf or whatever shit.

@blamblam said:

People are interested in these things and want to speculate because they care about the site. If discussion concerning the future and direction of the site from the fans is "forum junk" then what the hell is the rest of the shit posted on here?

It's worth noting that as mentioned above, the question Jeff was answering was referring to horribly negative and pessimistic NeoGAF posts. The thread that was recently posted here about new hire speculation was generally pretty positive, and even Rorie dropped a message into it.

sub_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#52  Edited By sub_o

Jeff Green, Rich Gallup, Ben Coello, or Garnett Lee. Or maybe the return of Dave Snider.

Or maybe not at all. Maybe it's just Rap Man, then Jeff gets pay check twice.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@mrfluke said:

Really curious who Jeff plans to hire. he's been talking about this for a while on tumblr. so he definitely has people in mind.

my bets are on Jeff green and fully bringing in Danny o Dwyer as a GB employee.

Jeff mentioned that he has a new job lined up and its NOT Giant Bomb. Also Danny's reason for coming Stateside was to help out Gamespot with their video content so it is very unlikely that he'll transfer to GB (also he's committed to improving GS as well) but at least he still shows up on live streams and videos once in a while.

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

I hope what happens is that Jeff or whoever else says "and now a moment from our sponsors!" and then the premium feed is them just sitting in silence until the ad is over.

I'm not actually sure how we'll do it. The tools give us the ability to determine where they go, so it's a matter of deciding if we want to say "OK, we'll be back after this," have a quick fade to black, then fade back up and continue... or just have an ad blast in with no announcement. For premium members, the fade to black would be black, dead air for a second or two. If we just blast into the video with an ad (taking care to not cut into the middle of a sentence or anything like that) then premium members would see zero interruption.

We'll probably play around with it and see what makes the most sense.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

It's cool to know they still wanna do some crazzy big live live show i really missed it this year.

noizy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By noizy

The hiring process should be a 13 weeks reality show where we vote out applicants. This can't fail.

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

@bybeach said:

@crusader8463 said:

You know what I fucking hate? That shit like this is not on giant bomb and that you need to go to twitter or where this thing was to find out this information. Why isn't this a monthly forum thread on the site? Why do we need to go to other sites to find out information about the site that many of us are paying money for? I never understood that. If he takes the time to read through and answer question like that why can't there be an official monthly post on the front page with this stuff in it? A state of the site address or something.

I don't know if I hate it, but there is some truth to this. Perhaps Jeff felt that this is not apropo for the site right now, thus not blogged on the site. I don't do twitter. I'm just not that hooked in, though very occasionally I will listen and watch Jeff drive home. Lol. Even tried to sign in for comments, but hit a snag.

I do not know if GB will get to steal GS employees. I do hope one or two. Internal politics may be difficult also, even if amongst the 6 'guys' I can think of right now.

When I mentioned my desire to go to Japan on a shopping spree it set off a situation where I now get people asking me when "The Raid" is happening at least once a week. People seem disappointed that it isn't a thing. So that's sort of forced me to be less open about plans. People take everything as gospel and then get pissed when it doesn't happen... even when it's something I made up on the spot during a podcast.

Even the stuff I talk about in that post could completely backfire, nothing's ever set in stone. So, generally, I'd rather refrain from making statements that people take as promises and instead wait until we have something to show.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

So what Jeff is saying is.... more endurance runs. Spread the news.

jiggajoe14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@handlas said:

Jeff Dark Souls endurance run confirmed.

EdgeKasey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By EdgeKasey

@jeff: Thanks! :) I don't think you have to clarify anything but at the same time I am glad you took the time to do so.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

@handlas said:

You guys got it all wrong he said

@jeff said:

"The Raid" is happening at least once a week.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why do people want Danny to get hired so hard. 1. he already works at fucking gamespot, one of the most popular gaming sites in the world, and moved to san fran because of that site. 2. I dont think his dynamic works very well with the rest of them.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#63  Edited By crusader8463

@jeff said:

@bybeach said:

@crusader8463 said:

You know what I fucking hate? That shit like this is not on giant bomb and that you need to go to twitter or where this thing was to find out this information. Why isn't this a monthly forum thread on the site? Why do we need to go to other sites to find out information about the site that many of us are paying money for? I never understood that. If he takes the time to read through and answer question like that why can't there be an official monthly post on the front page with this stuff in it? A state of the site address or something.

I don't know if I hate it, but there is some truth to this. Perhaps Jeff felt that this is not apropo for the site right now, thus not blogged on the site. I don't do twitter. I'm just not that hooked in, though very occasionally I will listen and watch Jeff drive home. Lol. Even tried to sign in for comments, but hit a snag.

I do not know if GB will get to steal GS employees. I do hope one or two. Internal politics may be difficult also, even if amongst the 6 'guys' I can think of right now.

When I mentioned my desire to go to Japan on a shopping spree it set off a situation where I now get people asking me when "The Raid" is happening at least once a week. People seem disappointed that it isn't a thing. So that's sort of forced me to be less open about plans. People take everything as gospel and then get pissed when it doesn't happen... even when it's something I made up on the spot during a podcast.

Even the stuff I talk about in that post could completely backfire, nothing's ever set in stone. So, generally, I'd rather refrain from making statements that people take as promises and instead wait until we have something to show.

I get that, but it's just frustrating needing to follow a dozen different places to try and get an idea of what you guys are working on or what you would like to be doing in the future. It just felt like in the past there was always some kind of video, podcast, or forum post from time to time with Dave and some of you guys talking about stuff you are working on and it feels like that stuff just vanished one day and never came back. It's sad that apparently it's too much ask for people to have common sense and know that when you guys say that stuff it's just hypothetical.

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I kinda like how he basically says "If we can´t keep doing cool stuff, I´m out".

I can respect that sort of attitude.

Let´s all hope they get the budget and hire at least one more duder. That way they could even, maybe, go on vacation without the site feeling completely barren.

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By connerthekewlkid

@handlas said:

Jeff and the Game Informer crew are teaming up for Super Endurance Run Replay.

ilikepopcans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#66  Edited By ilikepopcans

@crusader8463: Well, I bet they could be more open to talk because they were at whiskey media and not CBSi, you know that gigantic company that Jeff talks about all the time about how it takes forever to get things done where at whiskey media they probably knew right away. What your asking cant be don't anymore.

I hate these fucking threads cause it just us fans speculating about the Giant Bomb business stuff (like what I just did) and grasping at straws. We never know what truly happens behind the scenes, even if the guys are very transparent relatively, and this stuff just creates false expectation and images.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ilikepopcans: Isn't that what fans do? Speculate about the thing they're fans of? Speculating is fun, because if you're right, you're right, and if you're wrong then you've got something else to look forward to.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Makes sense that they have to find a replacement for Brad since he's leaving and all.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@gnatsol said:

I hope jeff hires someone from the GB community.

It would feel right.

I think @fattony12000 should be hired.

@jimmyfenix said:

@gnatsol said:

I hope jeff hires someone from the GB community.

It would feel right.

I think @fattony12000 should be hired.

I'd trust a guy named Fat Tony

I will stand for truth, trust and awesome live video mixing. This I promise to every man, woman and child in all the world.
I will stand for truth, trust and awesome live video mixing. This I promise to every man, woman and child in all the world.

ilikepopcans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@canteu: SURE. Let's speculate about if they will ever quick look the Banner Saga or if another video title "Endurance Run" will even be made. Let's not speculate about when or if or who Giant Bomb will hire and if Giant Bomb has money or if CBSi will axe Giant Bomb next week.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

As a dude that looks at corporate finances every day, I'm glad that they're taking steps to getting onto solid ground. It just needs to be done. They're approaching it intelligently and I trust the crew to do it the right way. There are certainly easier ways to do this stuff.

IGN, for example, is doing it in a way that bums me out. Put a picture featuring cleavage onto a video whose description is two dudes talking about wearable tech. It's disgusting.

Giant Bomb is not disgusting which makes them easy to root for.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jeff said:

@bybeach said:

@crusader8463 said:

...my desire to go to Japan... is happening... take everything as gospel... even when it's something I made up on the spot during a podcast.

Even the stuff I talk about in that post... set in stone. So, generally, ...we have something to show.

I hear ya loud and clear, Jeff. Looking forward to it.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ssully said:

@skyline7284 said:

I want to see Giantbomb steal Justin McElroy from Polygon...

You know he is like, Number 2 at Polygon right? That's almost as crazy as hoping for Polygon to steal Jeff.

For sure, it's super crazy and Justin has no reason to leave Polygon, but people mention it because Justin's comedic talents are pretty much wasted at Polygon. He's a very funny guy who knows how to keep things entertaining and lively, so he'd be a good fit for Quick Looks and live streams.

But yes, Vox Media is almost certainly giving him a higher pay grade in his role at Polygon than he would get at Giant Bomb. And Justin likely has significant editorial control at Polygon, which he may or may not have if he switched to Giant Bomb.

But people say he's good fit because personality-wise, he really seems like he is, unless one of the GB staff members secretly despises him or something. They've had guests on E3 podcasts that clearly wouldn't be a very good fit (Stephen Totilo, for example, always just seems really awkward and is more comfortable with writing perhaps). Similarly, I think Chris Watters, Eric Tay (and Danny O'Dwyer, as has been said a million times) play off of the staff pretty well on camera, so I wouldn't mind if they roped them in occasionally for live streams.

MosaicM80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's worth noting that as mentioned above, the question Jeff was answering was referring to horribly negative and pessimistic NeoGAF posts. The thread that was recently posted here about new hire speculation was generally pretty positive, and even Rorie dropped a message into it.

My apologies for not putting the question in my original post here for context. I just kind of took his answer at face value and thought it was a really cool look behind the scenes. Not to mention I don't really pay attention to places like NeoGAF, Reddit, 4chan, etc as they scare me. lol

RockyRaccoon37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By RockyRaccoon37

@ssully said:

@skyline7284 said:

You know he is like, Number 2 at Polygon right? That's almost as crazy as hoping for Polygon to steal Jeff.

For sure, it's super crazy and Justin has no reason to leave Polygon, but people mention it because Justin's comedic talents are pretty much wasted at Polygon. He's a very funny guy who knows how to keep things entertaining and lively, so he'd be a good fit for Quick Looks and live streams.

But yes, Vox Media is almost certainly giving him a higher pay grade in his role at Polygon than he would get at Giant Bomb. And Justin likely has significant editorial control at Polygon, which he may or may not have if he switched to Giant Bomb.

But people say he's good fit because personality-wise, he really seems like he is, unless one of the GB staff members secretly despises him or something. They've had guests on E3 podcasts that clearly wouldn't be a very good fit (Stephen Totilo, for example, always just seems really awkward and is more comfortable with writing perhaps). Similarly, I think Chris Watters, Eric Tay (and Danny O'Dwyer, as has been said a million times) play off of the staff pretty well on camera, so I wouldn't mind if they roped them in occasionally for live streams.

Yeah, I think Justin and Griffin's comedic talents are unfortunately not put to great use at Polygon. The Besties is typically terrific, but that's been MIA for the last month and is only a 45 minute weekly podcast. Hopefully they start doing more video stuff either skyping in to Polygon or doing solo stuff ala Spooking with Scoops.

As for new GB staff, personally I'd like to see people who aren't heavily exposed in the industry and even people no one may be aware of.

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

This has been said less in this thread than I'm comfortable with. I loved that dumb Wednesday show they had, and Chris was a great straight man to play against the crew. Just made everything 100% funnier.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@siroptimusprime: I dunno, I mean I liked Chris during his appearances and wouldn't mind seeing more of him, but he seems more suited to be a recurring foil from Rival Videogame Website than "one of the guys".

Avatar image for deactivated-6620058d9fa01
deactivated-6620058d9fa01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sure that Justin McElroy would be a great fit to the team. Because Giant Bomb needs presence in West Virginia.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By ArtisanBreads

I just wish it was Jeff Green. I feel like he would have been the perfect fit.

Hope this goes well, with who is brought in.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Milkman

lol GAF.

Did anyone actually think that Giant Bomb is in some sort of trouble?

loginrejected

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I’d like to bring back a free, regular live show at some point

I would love a half hour, 'What's going on this week,' kind of show, in the vain of I Love Mondays

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By CptBedlam

Good to hear the podcast ads are doing well. They are really fun to listen to.

@artisanbreads said:

I just wish it was Jeff Green. I feel like he would have been the perfect fit.

Hope this goes well, with who is brought in.

True. Oh well, some ideas are just too perfect to become reality. I envy that parallel universe where it actually happened.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Considering how close the community is to the dudes at Giantbomb hiring somebody has to be done with care. Also the person, or persons, they hire might not find their footing for a few months. Compare Patrick from when he first started to now. You have to have foresight and you have to find someone with some really thick skin unfortunately.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

That doesn't stop people from speculating around here. Hardly a week goes by without a thread in which someone states a desire for Giant Bomb to hire a particular person despite that person's current employment status or personal level of desire to jump ship for Giant Bomb or anywhere else. The funniest ones are always the suggestions that they should hire someone that left game journalism for a position in the actual development industry more or less because that person worked for Gamespot alongside Jeff once upon a time.

Nothing beat people hoping that Jeff Green comes to work for GB. The guy left Ziff-Davis because they were shutting down GFW Magazine and he didn't want to write for sites like 1up due to their deadline structure (e.g. post news immediately otherwise every other site will beat you to the punch).

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why do people want Danny to get hired so hard. 1. he already works at fucking gamespot, one of the most popular gaming sites in the world, and moved to san fran because of that site. 2. I dont think his dynamic works very well with the rest of them.

Did you watch the backflipping in bioforge series. That stuff was pure comedy gold.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@andorski said:

@hailinel said:

That doesn't stop people from speculating around here. Hardly a week goes by without a thread in which someone states a desire for Giant Bomb to hire a particular person despite that person's current employment status or personal level of desire to jump ship for Giant Bomb or anywhere else. The funniest ones are always the suggestions that they should hire someone that left game journalism for a position in the actual development industry more or less because that person worked for Gamespot alongside Jeff once upon a time.

Nothing beat people hoping that Jeff Green comes to work for GB. The guy left Ziff-Davis because they were shutting down GFW Magazine and he didn't want to write for sites like 1up due to their deadline structure (e.g. post news immediately otherwise every other site will beat you to the punch).

I was hoping it was because 1UP were the precursor race of proto hipster video games coverage and straight man Jeff wasn't having any of that "shoot a closeup of my hands for half the video" nonsense.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@naru_joe93 said:

Did you watch the backflipping in bioforge series. That stuff was pure comedy gold.

I did watch it. It was pure comedy gold because of vinny. From what I remember, danny was, kind of, just ... there.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@milkman said:

lol GAF.

Did anyone actually think that Giant Bomb is in some sort of trouble?

GAF is dumb.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrodactyl said:

@naru_joe93 said:

I did watch it. It was pure comedy gold because of vinny. From what I remember, danny was, kind of, just ... there.

Meh... opinions. Anyway, go watch a few of his The Point shows over at gamespot and tell me that guy couldn't infuse a little more energy, enthusiasm and thought into the crew. (It's never going to happen though)

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#90  Edited By crithon

I think really it's an interesting way to just develope content for this site, considering how Twitch and Youtube are probably influencing the industry more then just "product review" nature we expect these sites to be. I don't think anyone above Jeff is really asking for this site to turn into Kotaku or even mimic IGN.

I just hope we get some new Midnight Brown coverage on the site.

extintor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

Would it even be legally possible for Danny O Dwyer to move jobs? From personal experience I can say that US work visas are pretty restrictive, even in terms of moving around inside a specific company.

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rumor confirmed: the site is changing to GiantSoulz.biz, all the site will do is host Demon Souls, Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2 twitch streams. First feature is Jeff Gerstmann soul level 1 naked run.

mclargepants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

It'll never happen. He's such a huge part of Polygon, and I hope new people are in San Francisco with the guys. That said, he's way up at the top of the list of people I'd love to see on Giant Bomb, and not to mention Ryan name dropped him as someone who does an excellent job merging comedy and video game reporting.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We’re also talking about road trips and tours and bringing back the Big Live Live Show

That made me smile. Hope it happens.

johnbakosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

so happy patrick is leaving

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
citizencoffeecake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I read that as "budget/new tires" and I was thinking yea.. I guess Jeff knows a thing or two about tires.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#97  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

I'd love for them to hire on some unknowns. Get some new faces in here!

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

giant bomb to sign cm punk

heard it here first

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Raid confirmed! D:

GnaTSoL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

giant bomb to sign cm punk

heard it here first

omg can you imagine!?!?!? That would be sick!!!!!! :D

He's not even much of a gamer but he doesn't have to be. He can create interesting dialog for anything.