Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

Edited By Darth_Navster
The Xbox is dead. Long live the Xbox!
The Xbox is dead. Long live the Xbox!

In the history of video games, like most things, we often ascribe progress to big, flashy events. This perspective certainly has its merits. I mean, where would we be as an industry had the NES never launched with Super Mario Bros. or if id Software never put out the shareware for Doom? But just as often, big changes are not appreciated in their time and are often realized in hindsight. For instance, Sony’s outright copying of the SNES controller (and later the N64 controller) to create the Dualshock was the realization of unsexy iterative design that led to an input paradigm that has lasted for over 20 years. Now in 2016, we’re on the cusp of two major industry changes. One is the showstopping introduction of VR, which has been hyped for years and will finally be available for average consumers. The other change is not nearly as heralded, but has the potential to rock the very foundations of the games industry. I’m of course referring to the impending merger of the Xbox and PC ecosystems.

To get you up to speed, last week Microsoft had their Spring Showcase, and event that in the past was used to exhibit upcoming Xbox titles for the press. This year’s version for the most part was not all that different, save for a few announcements made by Xbox chief Phil Spencer. To save some time, I’ll quote Austin Walker’s piece as to what was said:

“At the heart of Spencer's plan for the Xbox One is an effort to unify the console platform with Windows 10, both literally and figuratively. Games created on the recently debuted Universal Windows Platform will work across Xbox One, Windows 10, and Windows-based smartphones and tablets--that means that the developers should have a much easier time porting Xbox One games directly to PC. These games could more easily take advantage of features like cross-play and cross-save, too.”

Later in the piece, Austin mentions the following:

“Beyond just releasing games on both platforms, Spencer also indicated interest in taking a PC-like approach to the hardware side of the Xbox platform. During his statement to the press, he spoke about wanting to bring the the tech-driven innovation seen in the PC and mobile markets back to the consoles.”

On the surface this all seems a bit like corporate puffery and vague promises. Indeed, Microsoft has in the past attempted to leverage their Xbox brand on the PC ecosystem and even a generous critique of their track record would have to use the word “disastrous”. Further to that, gaming’s past is littered with failed attempts to improve a console’s performance through add-ons or hardware revamps. So why on Earth would I be in any way optimistic about this news? First, it’s because the potential upside to consumers and developers would be massive, and second, I think this time Microsoft has a good chance to actually pull it off.

I can't find an image of Halo Wars 2, but man am I excited for it.
I can't find an image of Halo Wars 2, but man am I excited for it.

I suppose I should take a step back and analyze what exactly Microsoft intends to do here. First, they wish for all games that are released for the Xbox One, be it third or first party, will also have a day and date version on the PC and there will be some amount of integration between the two versions, including cross-platform multiplayer support. Further to that, consumers who purchase a game on one of the platforms will also be granted a copy of the game on the other platform. Finally, the Xbox One itself will no longer have static specifications, with improvements to the hardware similar to what we see with Apple’s iPad or Valve’s Steam Box. Now given that this is Microsoft, many people are imagining the worst case scenario where your Xbox One becomes obsolete within a year or two and the ecosystem dies out because of the PC cannibalizing sales. While this certainly could come to pass, I feel that we are looking at a future where the Xbox and PC platforms are both strengthened by this integration.

Let’s break out and examine these claims individually. First, the cross-buy and simultaneous release of Xbox and PC games going forward. Currently and in the coming months we are going to see previously slated Xbox One exclusives such as Gears of War: Ultimate Edition, Quantum Break, Forza 6, and Halo Wars 2 released on PC. While there has been some cries from the Xbox faithful that they no longer have a compelling reason to keep their Xbox Ones, they technically lose nothing. They can still purchase these games on their current systems and will presumably gain an additional copy to play on their computers. This is directly cribbing from Sony’s playbook, where in recent years they have released cross-buy titles for PS3, Vita, and PS4 to much appreciation from their customers. Indeed, one of the reasons I purchased a Vita and continue to use the platform is because of the wealth of titles I incidentally collected for it over the years. I can see this effect be used to great effect in getting Xbox players to get a gaming PC and PC players to purchase an Xbox One. In addition, the implementation of cross-play could make it easier for players to switch platforms but still game with their friends. How great would it be to finally build your own gaming PC but still be able to play online with your friends still on Xbox?

The future of gaming folks.
The future of gaming folks.

The downsides to this are overblown in my opinion. The common refrain of mouse and keyboard players versus controller players in first person shooters have been shouted for years, but is becoming more and more irrelevant as time goes on. I recall playing Titanfall on PC with a controller almost exclusively and still ranking at the top of my matches consistently. That game was built to emphasize movement and positioning, not accuracy. I will readily admit that for PC shooters like Counter-Strike there’s no way to compete with a controller, but for console-based shooters like Halo or Gears of War, the gap between the two inputs has never been smaller. Also, in the worst case, developers can separate out players in matchmaking based on their input settings.

The other major complaint I hear is that Xbox players will abandon the platform in droves for the obviously “superior” PC. For games enthusiasts (such as those who would read a blog like this), that’s certainly a concern, but what about the countless more “casual” players? These players, the ones that play only a few games a year, are going to be less interested in buying or building a bulky desktop just for better performance. This could certainly be a factor of me being a downtown apartment dweller and having friends in similar living situations, but it seems that outside of gaming “nerds” and a few other groups, the vast majority prefer to use a laptop as their primary computer. For them, it’s simply more practical to have their laptop for general computing and a console for gaming, as the price and inconvenience of getting a cutting edge gaming laptop is simply too much to bear. This new Xbox-PC strategy allows them to continue using their consoles without fear of being left out by their friends that choose to move on to PC, which is a win-win for everyone involved.

The iPad model provides a clear roadmap for Microsoft to iterate on the Xbox One hardware.
The iPad model provides a clear roadmap for Microsoft to iterate on the Xbox One hardware.

Now let’s consider the other major announcement from Microsoft, that the Xbox One itself will now be iterated and improved upon regularly. On the surface this is indeed alarming, and as someone who recently got an Xbox One it does leave me a bit nervous. That being said, if Microsoft approaches this carefully it could greatly extend the life of the platform and give greater value to even early adopters. Let’s consider the iPad model. Despite the hyperbole spouted by anti-Apple critics, most iPad owners don’t upgrade every year and are not particularly bothered by the regular improvements Apple puts out. Your previous year’s iPad still works fine when its successor is released and runs almost entirely the same software as the newer version. Granted, there will eventually come a time where your iPad becomes too old to keep up with the latest apps, but the interval between upgrades have been increasing with each passing year. I know people with iPad 2’s from 2011 that only purchased a new one last year, a full four years between upgrades. Microsoft would be incredibly incompetent to stop supporting the original revision of the Xbox One for anything less than 4 years. Given that developers would likely still need to make games for the Playstation 4 for years to come, I suspect that owners of the first revision Xbox One will enjoy support for even longer than that. Granted, games will eventually start to look not all that great, similar to cross-platform titles in the Xbox 360’s twilight, but they will be playable. This will also have the knock-on effect of the Xbox One maintaining resale value similar to Apple products, so when you’re ready to upgrade some of the cost may be offset by selling the console to someone more willing to put up with shaky framerates and lower resolutions.

Now of course, all of this could end up being smoke and mirrors and never truly materialize. I’ve been wrong in the past, as I was the guy that thought that PS4 Remote Play would turn around the flagging Vita single-handedly. But I like the vision that Phil Spencer is promising, and his track record since taking over the Xbox division indicates that there is a chance that his team could actually pull it off. Many people are rightfully wary of a Microsoft controlled PC gaming platform, but I don’t see that actually happening. Services like Steam, GOG, and Origin are too far entrenched for any sort of monopoly to form, and Microsoft’s Windows/Xbox store will simply be another competitor in that landscape. But what it would do is further cement the PC as the central place to play video games on, and would likely force Sony and (longshot) Nintendo to embrace the platform to keep up with the competition. We’re quickly entering an era where individual platforms no longer matter and consumers are able to play most games on whichever device they prefer. Microsoft’s plan is a savvy embrace of this trend. I don’t doubt the decision to go this route was borne out of opportunism, as the Xbox One is quickly becoming the also-ran console compared to the Playstation 4’s dominant sales numbers. But whatever the reasons for it, this could still be a big win for consumers. We may be hearing about VR now, but my guess is that 2016 will be remembered as the year that platforms became irrelevant.

Avatar image for giantlizardking
GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Some version of these ideas is probably what the future will look like, but just like Microsoft's proposed pre-launch steam-like approach to to DRM, I suspect they are too soon to the party and won't implement this in a way palatable to the public. The expectations for what a console currently is supposed to be is already baked into the XB1 as far as much of user base is concerned. At this point I suspect a large portion of people will be pissed to find out they have to continually buy a new console to make it look as good as what their neighbor has.

The best strategy for MS this generation would be keep their head low, try to stop pissing off the gaming public, keep making good exclusives and try to regroup next generation. Basically what Sony did post PS3. MS pissed in the pool early with customers with their approach to DRM and pricing and designed a weaker hardware because they were so sure that Kinect was the future. They were essentially fighting a losing battle before they started. My guess is that this is only going to make things worse for them.

OnionKnight14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree this could be an amazing opportunity. To execute correctly seems like a monumental task. It's going to come down to the messaging to the average consumer. If that consumer, who likely owns one system, doesn't understand the hardware iteration, then this could fail due to confusion.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MS (IMO) should just make the next firmware update to the X1 a controller friendly version of Windows 10. Just turn the thing into essentially an alienware alpha.

KaneRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By KaneRobot
@onionknight14 said:

I agree this could be an amazing opportunity. To execute correctly seems like a monumental task. It's going to come down to the messaging to the average consumer. If that consumer, who likely owns one system, doesn't understand the hardware iteration, then this could fail due to confusion.

This is why it will fail. If there's one thing MS has been terrible at since day one of the XBone, it's messaging. I actually like Phil Spencer a ton, and he's the best of the talking heads from MS/Sony/Nintendo right now. But he's still delivering a message that people won't want to hear.

I'm totally fine with console, as it is, for years to come. If they want to throw that away in the next ~18 months or so with this initiative, I guess that's their decision. I won't be along for the ride.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

As someone who owns a decent gaming PC, I'm sure glad they released this news before I bought an Xbox One. Not sure why I'd need one now. We'll see how committed they are to this when it comes time to release Halo 6, though, I guess.

arbayer2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#6  Edited By arbayer2

@skullpanda1 said:

MS (IMO) should just make the next firmware update to the X1 a controller friendly version of Windows 10. Just turn the thing into essentially an alienware alpha.

I think that's basically the only way to assume something resembling parity between platforms will come. The best idea in my opinion is to offer the benefits of a continually-evolving PC hardware platform to Xbox users, thus ensuring cross-platform compatibility, not to force current PC users to throw away the flexibility of their devices by slapping the Xbox OS on top of it, preventing them from enjoying things they've had for years.

@rorie: It'd certainly be an interesting twist to see Halo titles start showing up on PC, for sure. I wonder how that'd impact Halo's competitive multiplayer ecosystem these days.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I feel if they do go through what this, what they've actually signaled is the demise of the Xbox platform as a standalone device.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder what Valve think about this.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lets hope their PC ports are worth a damn. The console market has gone in a weird direction.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@rorie: My thoughts exactly. My first reaction to this news, after "Holy shit", was "I backed the right horse". Not a jab against Microsoft (I like all three companies for different reasons), just that this isn't what I come to consoles for at all.

Again, I don't mean that as a negative per se, it's just a development I prefer to follow from afar, at least for now. I do think that this has some awesome potential if they do it right.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Nope. They just are on the road to a huge 'Boner', that will make the fallout from their Xbox One reveal look tame.

This isn't brave new world. This isn't they figuring out teh key to make ist all work. They are not making gaming better for any one group or all groups. They are just trying to pass a lazy fracked up system of making games onto gamer and they expect "yet again" that we won't notice or care. Problem is gamers know the extra work to make a individually tweaked console versions that work well for each console and a robust PC version that take advantage of increased CPU, GPU, RAM and Storage is the BEST SOLUTION. We know we shoudl get games that are well made for our systems because we haqve to put down REAL money for this software.

There is no quick fix. There is no one size fit all. There is not "time/cost" savings that be achieved by aiming down the middle. When you aim down the middle what that really means is developers want you to accept that...

Well... Most games will turn out okay, not great but most will be playable...mostly.
Well... Most PC titles will look okay, you won't really have any Ultra setting anymore and having a better GPU won't really matter that much since the game won't give you options
Well... More console ports will crash -of course-. But, whatever, if we have to we could fix it later..maybe.
Well... Most games on PC and consoles will probably require a month to really "work" as major bugs are fixed. The work that should have gone into them BEFORE the game was shipped gets done later....that all. And, yet publishers don't have to fix games that sell poorly are are not 'worth it' to fix...that should increase profits for the too!!!

Look at the CARE we take with each game we make.  On the left you see the XBox One version, next the PC version, and next to that the mobile version.  We put the same slop...err care into each version!
Look at the CARE we take with each game we make. On the left you see the XBox One version, next the PC version, and next to that the mobile version. We put the same slop...err care into each version!
mavs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

This is exactly the reason they've been trying to develop a Microsoft-free platform. Hopefully they redouble their efforts.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Gaff

I honestly think this is less of a pro-consumer move on Microsoft's part and more an attempt to make the Xbox One an attractive platform for developers.

Hey, developers, want to avoid an Arkham Knight level of bad press because your PC port wasn't up to snuff? Want to save valuable development dollars porting games? Don't feel like doing QA for every PC configuration possible? Come to us, sign this console-exclusivity contract and we'll help you bring your games to the biggest audience possible!

Come on, we're begging here, PS4 is outselling the Xbox One almost 2 to 1.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mavs said:
@jonny_anonymous said:

This is exactly the reason they've been trying to develop a Microsoft-free platform. Hopefully they redouble their efforts.

You mean like the Steam Machines?

mavs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mavs said:
@jonny_anonymous said:

You mean like the Steam Machines?

Software platform, so SteamOS and their involvement with Vulkan.

Steam machines seem more like a grudging acceptance that expecting people to buy a Windows PC and then install their OS on it is even more hopeless than trying to escape Microsoft in the first place.

Jinoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 21

You might want to read this @darth_navster:

PCGamer Interview - Phil Spencer clarifies Microsoft's PC gaming ambitions

"I look at the work we’re doing on [Windows 10] as an enabler for us becoming relevant in PC gaming," Spencer said. "I wouldn’t say our strategy is to unify [with Xbox], because when I hear ‘unify’ I worry a bit that people will interpret it as, my own teams included, ‘Hey, we just want to say a game is a game and all games should run everywhere.’ There are games like Ashes of the Singularity, a fast-paced RTS game—probably not the best controller game. I’m committed to bringing our biggest franchises to Windows and Xbox. I always hesitate to say ‘all’, because I think that inhibits creatively what could happen."

Phil Spencer, March 2016

This isn't as big a shift as you might think. This has been a slow process for many years now, and its still going to be very slow. They aren't going to flip the DX12/Compile for Windows switch and suddenly every Xbox game from then on out will be swell and amazing on PC. Its going to be up to developers to make it so and that will take a long time. UWAs are not good right now and what Microsoft has announced for coming to PC, Forza 6 Apex and Quantum Break, are extremely meager examples of what we'd want. The real test will be if they bring the entire Halo franchise to full parity between Windows and Xbox, which by the quote above, won't be happening any time soon if ever.

As for the more frequent iterative and upgradeable hardware, the N64 Expansion pack and Genesis 32x say hello. The old ideas becomes new and shiny. Appropriate, considering all the spit-shined remasters and HD editions we've gotten this generation.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

I think it's the right general strategy that leverages where Microsoft is strong and should be strongest

But like a lot of things it will depend on their execution of the strategy, getting the details right, being committed make continual iterative improvements, getting the messaging right, showing xbox owner how this adds to them etc.

e.g. I thought PSTV was a great idea, but Sony didn't iron out key several problems with it (UI, name, whitelist issues) and thus it failed.

Darth_Navster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jinoru: Oh wow, I hadn't seen that interview when I wrote my post, but it does seem like Spencer is positioning the move to be more of a half step than a full unification. Still, I think many of my points still stand, and I'm optimistic for development pipelines improving to make simultaneous platform development more feasible. We hear all the time that the consoles are now basically mini-PCs so hopefully that will help bear out a more streamlined development process. Your point about Halo is valid, and we will have to see if Microsoft is willing to commit its crown jewel to the venture. Halo Wars 2 being cross-platform is encouraging, but it's no Halo 5 (or 6!).

Regarding your examples of the Expansion Pak and the 32X, I feel that you're neglecting to take into account where iterative hardware has succeeded. Just look at Nintendo's handheld offerings. The Gameboy Color and Nintendo DSi both were spectacular successes that brought more functionality and power to the platform while still keeping previous console versions relevant. Heck, even look at the Xbox 360, which went through numerous revisions in its lifecycle and is viewed my most as a resounding success. I'm not saying that iterating with the Xbox One will be a slam dunk success, but I do think there's potential there for the console and consumers to benefit from it.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#20  Edited By Humanity

@rorie: Do you own any of the new consoles and/or do you feel any need to own them if you do have a good gaming PC? I'm always fascinated to hear other PC gamers opinion as I'm a reverse case of a long time PC gamer that has for several years now gamed mainly on consoles. I do like to keep my PC up to date and whenever I do decide to get something for the PC I'm happily reminded at how good these games can look and run, but the small comforts of console gaming have taken their hold on me.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

@rorie: Do you own any of the new consoles and/or do you feel any need to own them if you do have a good gaming PC? I'm always fascinated to hear other PC gamers opinion as I'm a reverse case of a long time PC gamer that has for several years now gamed mainly on consoles. I do like to keep my PC up to date and whenever I do decide to get something for the PC I'm happily reminded at how good these games can look and run, but the small comforts of console gaming have taken their hold on me.

I have a PS4 and I'm really happy with it. Bloodborne is obviously the biggie there, but there are a few other games that I use it for, and it's also a lot easier to boot into it for Netflix and a few other apps than dealing with using my TV as a third monitor. I don't use it every day or anything, but it's nice to have around when I just want to load something up and lounge around on the couch.

Plus, well, Bloodborne.

hakunin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I'll get exited when (well, "if") Scalebound gets announced for PC.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i think everyone keeps forgetting not everyone can afford a gaming pc. i think this is a step in the right direction for everyone and doesn't necessarily mean the death of the xbone.

TheOverlordian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It's certainly doable. Look at that Razer Core, for laptops. I could see an XBox "Upgrade Kit", priced at say 1/2 of the console price, that gets you to the next level.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@rorie: I enjoyed Bloodborne quite a bit as well! I even got the platinum in it, something that I rarely ever care about. I haven't tried the DLC mostly because I've heard if your main character is on NG++ then you'll get really wrecked by later bosses and enemies because of the scaling. In fact I enjoyed Bloodborne so much that Dark Souls 3 is doing very little for me. I'm sure once I start playing it then I'll start enjoying it but I enjoyed the step in a completely new direction and this looks like a step back into, what is now, well worn, familiar ground.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

@rorie: I enjoyed Bloodborne quite a bit as well! I even got the platinum in it, something that I rarely ever care about. I haven't tried the DLC mostly because I've heard if your main character is on NG++ then you'll get really wrecked by later bosses and enemies because of the scaling. In fact I enjoyed Bloodborne so much that Dark Souls 3 is doing very little for me. I'm sure once I start playing it then I'll start enjoying it but I enjoyed the step in a completely new direction and this looks like a step back into, what is now, well worn, familiar ground.

Yeah, it took me a while to come around to it but I'm definitely digging Bloodborne. I'm around level 60 on my first playthrough, so I'm really ripping through stuff (going through the Forbidden Forest now), but I rarely play NG+ or anything in these games, so I'm not too worried about making them competitive or anything. For once it's nice to actually feel powerful in one of these games.

nasher27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By nasher27

It is refreshing to see another optimistic opinion about this news. I am someone who is the exact case that you describe in your post: I have a laptop that I use for computing, and an Xbox One that I use for gaming.

At the risk of sounding like I only own Microsoft products (I have an iPhone I swear), I have a Surface that I recently purchased for $850. Could I have built a more-than-decent gaming PC for that money? Yes I could have, and have done so in the past. But as a graduate student with plans to continue my education even further, I need a computer that I can take with me wherever, be it from home to school or even on a vacation where I still need to get work done. Hopefully this will help to dispel the common response I seem to be getting of "why don't you just build a desktop?" I only have money for one PC, and it needs to be mobile.

So, as an Xbox One user who has money for one console and will never be building a PC any time soon, the notion of periodic hardware revisions has me very intrigued. If studios are already developing these UWP games to scale with different PC hardware configurations (and from what I've heard, some of this is built into DX12), I don't see why it couldn't work with multiple Xbox hardware configurations as well. I think a lot of people are ruling this out by comparing it to older attempts at multiple hardware configurations (N64, 32X are some I've seen thrown around) and saying that it divides the user base in two. But consoles are more like PCs than ever, and if what I heard about DX12 is true, then I think we're in a much different ecosystem than when this has been tried before.

Color me hopeful.

Darth_Navster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nasher27: I'm glad to see another person who's cautiously optimistic (there's dozens of us!). It's a bit perplexing to me to see the GB community as a whole dismiss what Microsoft is doing out of hand. There seems to be a lack of perspective that people who talk about games online is only a fraction of the total gaming audience. I get that we're really into gaming here and skew towards PC, but consoles are far from irrelevant. I own a pretty beefy PC, but I still spend a good amount of time playing on my consoles and they don't necessarily feel like "lesser" experiences. We're living in an age of unprecedented diversity in games and we should be celebrating that fact more than we currently do.

Jinoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 21

Garris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kinda glad I pulled the trigger on selling my xbox one and managed to recover pretty much all of my money.

My PC will quite happily play all those games and I now have more room in my entertainment centre