NVidia launching the 2080 Ti alongside the 2080 (Leak)

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

So, looks like MSI have leaked some shots of their upcoming RTX 2080, and more interestingly also images of the RTX 2080 Ti.

No Caption Provided

With NVidia focusing on adding real time raytracing hardware to the new 20xx series cards (hence the RTX instead of GTX name) and also bringing GDDR6 to market for the first time you have to wonder if the decision to bring forward the release of the xx80 Ti version of the cards to day and date with the xx80 might be so they can tout their usual "50% faster than our last card" stat. I imagine the reduced memory capacity of 8GB on the 2080 (compared to the 11GB the 1080 Ti has) and however much board space is dedicated to real-time raytracing could have an effect on the amount of performance improvement a 2080 offers over the 1080 Ti.

What can be said for sure, though, is that these are gunna be very expensive. I was already planning on pouncing on a 2080 at launch but now my poor wallet might be in for more of a beating. At least (with this leak) it looks like 3rd party cards will be ready very quickly and we won't be forced to shell out extra for "founders edition" reference cards again.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

And with that my gtx 1080 is already ancient. Hoooray...

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Casepb

I want one but really don't need it anytime soon. It would be nice to have higher supersampling in VR though, and keeping that 166fps on any game.

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Guess we're going back to increments of thousands huh. I hate their stupid numbering schemes.

Barthez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Look at that thing, it's massive! ? Graphics cards are becoming so ridiculous... I love it! ? It seems like the way they're mounted inside a PC is becoming inadequate almost, they've pretty much become small PCs themselves.

John_Wiswell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Going from 1080 to 2080 like this made me check to make sure it wasn't April 1st. It feels like a gag.

No way will I be able to afford one of these cards.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The real question is will bitcoin miners jump on this.

mattchops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Any guess what the MSRP will be?

Barthez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soulcake said:

The real question is will bitcoin miners jump on this.

Luckly, GPU mining hasn't been feasible for a while now (for majority of cryptos). Anyone who's serious about mining crypto would use a FPGA or Asic mining rig instead of a GPU.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By BoOzak

Have GPU prices gone to a sane level yet or are bit miners still going crazy? I'd rather pay RRP on something stupidly powerful than over RRP on something more reasonable.

EDIT: Answered ^^ good to know.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Bollard

@john_wiswell: @imhungry: So I think the reason they've opted to jump to 20xx instead of 11xx is because they really want to emphasise that these cards are a big departure from the previous generation. It's been over 2 years since the 10xx cards launched (we're well overdue an upgrade) and NVidia are investing heavily in the possibility of real-time raytracing (and putting dedicated hardware onto these boards to do it). That's the reason for the GTX -> RTX name change and likely the reason for the 10xx -> 20xx name change too. I imagine next year's cards will be 21xx rather than 30xx.

@mattchops said:

Any guess what the MSRP will be?

My guess (purely a guess) is the 2080 Ti has to be at least $1000.

Also, Palit have leaked their designs too:

No Caption Provided
onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ripelivejam said:

If you feel like that about a 1080 I don't even know what to say about my 980.

Though really, that'll only be truly the case when games start making heavy use of raytracing, and I don't see that happening so soon, even with these cards.

Yeah maybe in the next couple of years we'll see a handful of big budget games having some extra eyecandy for cards with that capability, but that's about it.

As far as regular game rendering goes they're not that much more powerful, not sure if that "50% faster claim" is accurate.

big_denim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

All I know is these things better be able to do consistent 4k/60/Ultra or I'll be bummed out. Been waiting too long for a card that can deliver that so I can jump to 4k. Until then, it just doesn't make sense to me to make the jump to 4k.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I think I will sit pretty with my 1080 TI for another two years. It nice that Nvidia finally has something to show, but even if their "sales pitch" is accurate, I just don't see too much software that requires it. In two years, when the mid-level cards can do what this new card does, maybe.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@onarum said:

@ripelivejam said:

If you feel like that about a 1080 I don't even know what to say about my 980.

Though really, that'll only be truly the case when games start making heavy use of raytracing, and I don't see that happening so soon, even with these cards.

Yeah maybe in the next couple of years we'll see a handful of big budget games having some extra eyecandy for cards with that capability, but that's about it.

As far as regular game rendering goes they're not that much more powerful, not sure if that "50% faster claim" is accurate.

Psssh. I got you both beat still rocking my 970. Been waiting for these to come out to upgrade!

BrunoTheThird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like I can game at 1440p/60 on very high settings for at least another three years on this MSi 1070, and have no problem bumping down to 1080p before I have to upgrade. If I'm struggling for 1080/60 at any point, I'll get another mid-range card (I'm guessing a 3070Ti at that point if this branding continues).

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@mattchops: @bollard: Rumors I saw of anonymous insider info was that it was going to be a surprise $650 but I can't in my heart of hearts believe that. I've also been hearing tariffs were going to inflate the prices. Sooo we'll see.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes please. Not that I'm getting one, but if it makes 1080s cheaper, I wouldn't mind the upgrade.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cdbdf5c5a6e1
deactivated-5cdbdf5c5a6e1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TF is ray tracing?

Avatar image for soimadeanaccount
soimadeanaccount

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have been beating the computer hardware prices have been inflating even before the bitcoin craze drum, as oppose to the pc is cheap enough so xbx/ps4pro have no market. Especially for nvidia considering the state of AMD, would love to be proven wrong tho, and would definitely want to see how AMD will answer, also that juicy Intel rumor...

That said $1000 does seem high, they still need a price point for their Titan right?

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

It already was, that card is came out almost two and a half years ago.

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What exactly are you looking to achieve that you haven't been able to do with a 1080?

chrjz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By chrjz

@big_denim said:

All I know is these things better be able to do consistent 4k/60/Ultra or I'll be bummed out. Been waiting too long for a card that can deliver that so I can jump to 4k. Until then, it just doesn't make sense to me to make the jump to 4k.

Yeah, if they didn't prioritise 4K on these cards then they fucked up. Games are always getting more demanding and 4K TVs are pretty much ubiquitous now.

Leaked specs on the 2080 Ti look promising but the 2080 seems lacking when compared to a 1080 Ti which, in previous generations, it would at least be on par with.

I want that feeling of getting a new card and maxing everything out at the highest resolution... I want that HDMI 2.1 also, and the potential for a 4K 120hz 4:4:4 HDR display.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

And here I just got a 1080...

JTB123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

I have fallen so behind in PC hardware, I got a 1070 almost 18 months ago which is still doing just fine at 1440p/60. I just seem to using my PC far less these days for games.

Could someone briefly explain what these new cards will do that the current crop of top tier cards don't?

haneybd87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By haneybd87

@jtb123: Ray tracing and hopefully 4k60 or 1440p144. A recent example that’s been nagging me is that the new zones in WoW have been dipping as low as 60fps at 1440p and I don’t even have the graphics maxed. This is on a 980ti. Buttery smooth 144fps 1440p maxed graphics WoW sounds really good right now.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@haneybd87: Nothing will ever get WoW to run at a stable fps. Unless you run that thing at the lowest settings possible and make it look like an PS2 game, it will dip and dive between 50-144 fps on the newest content. It's just a game that's designed to be played on a toaster, it doesn't take advantage of newer hardware at all. Always been that way.

haneybd87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doctordonkey: But raising that lower number is important and even the upper end could use a boost at this point. I guarantee you if I threw a 1080ti in my PC the difference in frame rate would be significant. I can’t speak to a 2080 since they’re not out yet but I would have to imagine the difference would be even more significant.

Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@bollard: Finally! A GPU that will match a Noctua fan.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mattchops: @bollard: Rumors I saw of anonymous insider info was that it was going to be a surprise $650 but I can't in my heart of hearts believe that. I've also been hearing tariffs were going to inflate the prices. Sooo we'll see.

The latest leak from PNY suggests a $1000 price for the Ti, and $800 for the 2080. Those prices don't surprise me, but I do hope they're placeholder.

@bollard: Finally! A GPU that will match a Noctua fan.

Haha, a man with good taste, I see!

andrewf87462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Surely this thing is just going to be for 4k? I'm managing everything just fine at 1440p/60 on my 1080.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well I am in a bind. My Titan Black has been long in the tooth for a while. Though surprisingly with resolution drops on newest games (1080p mostly) I stay at least on 'high'. I don't know whether to consider the Ti, another Titan (ridiculous move to make twice), or even wait a bit.

But I want headroom to last a bit again. That early Titan carried me a good distance.

Avatar image for machofantastico
MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

Honestly can't stand all the RGB lighting craze in PC hardware right now. Maybe it's just me, just think it makes things look tacky.

Fascinated to see how much these are going to cost. However I probably need to upgrade my CPU before upgrading my GPU right now.

Avatar image for razor_sharp1997
Razor_Sharp1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shagge: Same, I'm okay with sticking to 1080p as long as I can get high frame rates and good visual quality.