Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#151  Edited By golguin

@aegon said:

@golguin said:

You know I don't remember people having such a strong reactions to a death scene or graphic depictions of violence in the various AAA titles that have come out. Is it because Lara is a girl?

If I saw Nathan Drake get a spike through the skull, I think I'd have the same reaction.

I guess you wouldn't be part of the grand majority of people who praised The Last of Us for its depiction of violence at that E3 demo with the guy begging for his life and getting a shotgun to the face.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

guys i think this is supposed to be about a funny conan video where he plays a game.

FierceDeity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That spike through the head was brutal, but it's not like we haven't seen worse. Like your character getting his head chomped off in Dead Space, for example. Does a game having an explicit horror theme make it more palatable for some people?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@golguin said:

@aegon said:

@golguin said:

You know I don't remember people having such a strong reactions to a death scene or graphic depictions of violence in the various AAA titles that have come out. Is it because Lara is a girl?

If I saw Nathan Drake get a spike through the skull, I think I'd have the same reaction.

I guess you wouldn't be part of the grand majority of people who praised The Last of Us for its depiction of violence at that E3 demo with the guy begging for his life and getting a shotgun to the face.

That demo just made the protagonist come off like a psychopath.

On the subject of Tomb Raider, I look forward to playing it. I'm really digging the direction that this game is going.

Avatar image for tournamentofhate
TournamentOfHate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

guys i think this is supposed to be about a funny conan video where he plays a game.

Yeah, this. So everybody, I didn't mean anything by the title, I was just kind of poking fun of the people who mention Patrick whenever sexism comes up in a game(I love Patrick), I thought I worded it so you'd see that, but I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough :S. I also posted this in the Tomb Raider forum but it got moved to General Discussion, I guess since it turned into what it turned into which I honestly wasn't expecting, silly me I know, so I'm sorry for starting a shit storm. Mostly I just thought it was a funny video, but like others have said I do find this video series that Conan does to be interesting on how a casual or less than casual gamer reacts to things in video games that we've just gotten used to and don't even think of anymore because we've grown so accustomed to it.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ripelivejam said:

Yeah, this. So everybody, I didn't mean anything by the title, I was just kind of poking fun of the people who mention Patrick whenever sexism comes up in a game(I love Patrick), I thought I worded it so you'd see that, but I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough :S. I also posted this in the Tomb Raider forum but it got moved to General Discussion, I guess since it turned into what it turned into which I honestly wasn't expecting, silly me I know, so I'm sorry for starting a shit storm. Mostly I just thought it was a funny video, but like others have said I do find this video series that Conan does to be interesting on how a casual or less than casual gamer reacts to things in video games that we've just gotten used to and don't even think of anymore because we've grown so accustomed to it.

no hard feelings against you, at least you were vaguely poking fun at it and not spewing actual irrational bile-hate like some here do. (just watched the nolan north video and i seriously have NO idea what people are raging about, save a little slight goofy awkwardness. guess i opened that can of worms myself. :) )

thanks for posting it and i enjoyed it!

fiberpay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Who cares if Patrick don't like it? Coco is awesome! Shocker men like women.

ildon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Conan's Clueless Gamer bits are fucking hilarious. All that other shit you guys are arguing about is retarded.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

"There's a ship."

"I know that's a ship."

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By Clonedzero

eh, patrick seems like the kinda guy that would lecture a black guy about why he shouldnt like django unchained after walking out of it happy. he's the standard well-off white male that jumps to causes he doesn't honestly care about to make himself feel better about himself.

ive sorta stopped giving a shit about patricks opinion awhile ago.

he's the "hey dude thats offensive" killjoy when someones telling a joke at a party.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

eh, patrick seems like the kinda guy that would lecture a black guy about why he shouldnt like django unchained after walking out of it happy. he's the standard well-off white male that jumps to causes he doesn't honestly care about to make himself feel better about himself.

he's the "hey dude thats offensive" killjoy when someones telling a joke at a party.

Patrick literally has nothing to do with anything in this topic?

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

oh man, that video was great. The river death was fucked up though D:

Anyway, can't wait to play this game. I didn't even know it was being released next week.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If only we could invent a way to convert stupid internet controversies into energy. I think we'd become a Kardashev type II civilisation over night.

hinderk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#165  Edited By hinderk

I find it hilarious that Patrick has written three articles (that I've seen) about sexism and is now labeled as some easily offended, extremist, feminist. Get over it dudes.

edit: I don't even think he has said anything negative about the game. Why is anyone even talking about him in this thread? I hear more people complain about feminist than I hear feminist complain.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love that spike-through-the-head death, so brutal and yet it isn't particularly gory.

GnaTSoL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artemesia: LMAO So What would you have the game relay to you after failing something? Have it go the ol' 'Positive Reinforcement' route and baby you!? Jesus! Messing up in dire situations like in Tomb Raider means your ass. If the developers just removed any kind of adverse outcome because they were too grueling, they'd be putting out an unfinished product.

Close your eyes next time.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By Nekroskop

I didn't see anyone flipping out when Leon got killed a thousand ways in RE4. Oh wait, that's because he's a man. Nevermind then.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That is just one of the many facets of amusement in this thread.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lol wow

You write one article about sexism and suddenly, the internet labels you all kind of things. Keep going, dude. You're doing great.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@hinderk said:

I find it hilarious that Patrick has written three articles (that I've seen) about sexism and is now labeled as some easily offended, extremist, feminist. Get over it dudes.

The last straw for me was when some guy at Gearbox dared to use the term "girlfriend mode" to explain an optional feature meant to introduce non-gamers to Borderlands 2, and allow them to contribute. Despite the fact that this term was used by loads of gamers and journalists alike to describe a feature of Mario Galaxy, and NO ONE CARED. Some people even posted claiming that they heard Patrick himself using the term when talking about Mario Galaxy on the Bombcast, although I'm not sure if that's true or not. Then a year or two later, people make a big deal out of someone else saying the same damn thing, likely to get hits for their shitty gaming blogs during slow news day.

It would be like me using the word idiot, and then people saying everywhere suddenly deciding that the term relates to the mentally disabled, and should be considered as offensive as "retarded."

Then, Gearbox president Randy Pitchford, releases a PR announcement saying that the guy was specifically talking about HIS girlfriend, and said that there's no room for sexism at Gearbox. It was at this point, and this is the last straw part, that professional gaming journalist Patrick Klepek reached out to Pitchford via Twitter and said the following:

Sorry, @DuvalMagic. You're wrong on this one, and it's Gearbox's fault it's blowing up. Phrasing matters. Words matter. Apologize, move on.

https://twitter.com/patrickklepek/status/235043338846339072

Since then, I'm officially a Patrick detractor.

@milkman said:

You write one article about sexism and suddenly, the internet labels you all kind of things. Keep going, dude. You're doing great.

To be fair, he's written at least five in the last year alone, not to mention the example I posted above.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MistaSparkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

But...I mean it's a comedy show, of course that's going to happen.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By probablytuna
Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The most offensive part about this game is how bad Lara's British accent is. Melodramatic and extremely over the top.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By Sooty

@grantheaslip said:

That spike death animation was ridiculous and unnecessary. I hate it when games do stuff like that for no reason, and it’s embarrassing to see games be represented by gratuitous nonsense.

How dare games depict hazardous situations accurately. I mean it's not like people ever get impaled in real life. Never.

Yeah it's gruesome but so what? If anything to me seeing that happen would make me not want to fuck up again because it was pretty unsettling, then again I also found the Mortal Kombat pit fatalities (spikes) to be some of the most gruesome too.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@milkman said:

@spaceinsomniac: I guess you don't like Jeff anymore either?

No Caption Provided

My issue with Patrick is mostly him demanding an apology, which I felt just made him look like an ass. Just as it's wrong for someone to suggest that they automatically know Patrick's thoughts when it comes to a situation, I think it was wrong for Patrick to refuse to accept the initial Gearbox explanation, and instead continue to vilify the man / company for a few poorly chosen words.

He could have just accepted Gearbox's stance that there's no room for sexism at the company with a simple "glad to hear it," but no, he had to demand an apology for an an informal term that both he and Giant Bomb pretty much ignored, until it became some sort of bandwagon issue.

HellknightLeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

God he is getting old... so... so...old. Oh God!!! I'm getting old!!!

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#179  Edited By LiquidPrince

@liquidprince said:

That was hilarious. Conan is awesome. Also I really am dying to play this... URGH!

Hey! You're here! This is good news, I'm glad someone's still here who can just... you know, just talk for me.

I am indeed still here. Can't get rid of me that easily! XD

But yeah, I am stoked for this game! Haven't been this excited for a Croft game since like Legends and actually most games since Uncharted!

Poppy_Persona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By Poppy_Persona

Yeah how dare Patrick write about a subject that is apparent in games and obviously on this fucking website by the tone of the op, Jesus no one is forcing anyone to read those articles he writes etc.

hinderk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#181  Edited By hinderk

@spaceinsomniac: Don't really see a problem with that tweet. I'm Interpreting it as" You're only making things worse by trying to talk yourself out of it. Apologize and everyone will forget about it".

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By toowalrus

@jasonr86 said:

@toowalrus said:

@liquidprince said:

That was hilarious. Conan is awesome. Also I really am dying to play this... URGH!

Hey! You're here! This is good news, I'm glad someone's still here who can just... you know, just talk for me.

I'm here too-Walrus! Eh? Eh?

Yeah, but LP was banned for awhile and no one was sure why but it was just a glitch in the system and...

Uh. OK jason86, I can forgive, but I don't think I can ever forget.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183  Edited By Azteck

Hearing him talk about the game on the bombcast without sounding like he had actually played it was incredibly annoying. So there's some of this in it, who fucking cares? As someone mentioned, Leon gets his head sawed off a bunch of times in RE4. Mortal Kombat is based on completely obliterating your opponent. I have never seen this kind of backlash over any other game, but suddenly it's too much? Come on.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@golguin said:

@aegon said:

@golguin said:

The Last of Us demo's violence fit from the survival-horror aspect of the title. People just don't expect this kind of visceral, in-your-face bloodshed from a TR game. I'm not sure if it fits the character either, even if CD has rebooted the game in the "gritty" survival direction.

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@azteck said:

Hearing him talk about the game on the bombcast without sounding like he had actually played it was incredibly annoying. So there's some of this in it, who fucking cares? As someone mentioned, Leon gets his head sawed off a bunch of times in RE4. Mortal Kombat is based on completely obliterating your opponent. I have never seen this kind of backlash over any other game, but suddenly it's too much? Come on.

It's suddenly too much because the character has boobs.

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Let's just make Lara a man who enchants his enemies with rainbows and kittens while on a quest to find the cutest unicorn EVER. That should make everyone happy.

SkankinPacman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Funny to see a bunch of people hate on Patrick for his opinions but when Jeff had some pretty negative things to say about Tomb Raider after last years E3 when they said "You'll want to protect Lara" no one said anything.

I mildly chuckled at the Conan video.

UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189  Edited By UlquioKani  Online

As my first exposure to Conan, that was hilarious. The game looks pretty cool. That river death is really horrific and I get what they mean when they say you want to protect her because when I am going through that game, I am going to make sure that doesn't happen. It's incredibly unsettling because it hangs there for just a little too long. I don't usually react much to video game violence because it never looks all that realistic but that hit me pretty hard. In games like Dead Space, you don't really see a face struggling, he's in his robot suit and you don't get to see the pain he is going through. Isaac's deaths are also pretty quick but when you are looking into the eyes of the person as they are dying, it's fucked up. If they were trying to make me feel terrible, then they succeed.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Yeah, Patrick's anti-Conan O'Brien stance is notorious.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#191  Edited By golguin

@skankinpacman said:

Funny to see a bunch of people hate on Patrick for his opinions but when Jeff had some pretty negative things to say about Tomb Raider after last years E3 when they said "You'll want to protect Lara" no one said anything.

I mildly chuckled at the Conan video.

No one said anything? You must have missed the backlash with people saying the situation was being blown out of proportion. It was around the same time as "Girlfriend Mode" and people thought the reaction to that was stupid as well as the term had been thrown around for years already and had been used to describe the assists from a 2nd player in Super Mario Galaxy.

It then came out that the lead writer for the game was Rhianna Pratchett. You can imaged it was quite a shock when all the white knights learned that the imaginary misogynistic white male writing all these "sexist" scenarios for Lara was actually a woman.

http://www.edge-online.com/features/tomb-raider-writer-rhianna-pratchett-on-controversy-and-characterisation/

The response of a gaming press and public, many of whom had not even seen the trailer let alone played the scene in context, was a source of frustration to Pratchett. Not least because at the time of the furor she had yet to be announced as one of the writers working on the project.

“It got people talking and thinking about character and the relationship between characters and females. The debate had a value to it. I just wish there had been more restraint and people had waited to judge it in context. People were assuming you were white, straight, middle class American man.”

m3ds334

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192  Edited By m3ds334

@oscar__explosion: I don't know. I kinda feel like there going for an incredibly harsh brutal environment, something a kin to Dead Space. The brutal deaths are supposed to reinforce the bleakness of the world, so it's less about the character and more about the world their building.

Jace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Conan O'Brien plays Tomb Raider.

Loading Video...

I figured it was going to be a link to an I.Q. test.

jerseyscum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Patrick's probably a Leno fan. Fucking cyborg piece of shit.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195  Edited By PillClinton

Wait, so what does this have to do with Patrick? You may not agree with the guy, and find him hypersensitive or whatever, but continually singling out a staff member like this is really shitty.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sooty said:

@grantheaslip said:

That spike death animation was ridiculous and unnecessary. I hate it when games do stuff like that for no reason, and it’s embarrassing to see games be represented by gratuitous nonsense.

How dare games depict hazardous situations accurately. I mean it's not like people ever get impaled in real life. Never.

Yeah it's gruesome but so what? If anything to me seeing that happen would make me not want to fuck up again because it was pretty unsettling, then again I also found the Mortal Kombat pit fatalities (spikes) to be some of the most gruesome too.

I’m not a doctor, but if we’re really concerned with accuracy, wouldn’t getting impaled through the brain stem preclude struggling?

Nerves are still firing for some moments after impact, so no.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some of you are way to invested, almost obsessed with this topic. I don't have any idea why Patrick would care about this.

jerseyscum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait, so what does this have to do with Patrick? You may not agree with the guy, and find him hypersensitive or whatever, but continually singling out a staff member like this is really shitty.

Replicants aren't people.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

...but when Jeff had some pretty negative things to say about Tomb Raider after last years E3 when they said "You'll want to protect Lara" no one said anything.

Why should someone say anything? How was saying that in any way wrong? Our society has always protected the health and well-being of women FAR more than it protects men in any form. I agree it's the definition of the word sexist, but so are the laws pertaining to issues such as rape and domestic violence. This guy didn't say anything that hasn't already been completely accepted by our society.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#200  Edited By stonyman65

I watched that last night after @willsmith posted it on twitter. I laughed my ass off. That was one of the funniest video game related things I've seen in a while.

If you are taking any of that shit seriously, than you are missing the whole point. Calm down guys.