Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Funkydupe
@guiseppe said:

@funkydupe said:

@guiseppe: The game is doing well in reviews so I think you can stay hyped regardless of this stuff. :) The main character is an attractive woman and there'll always be different opinions on whether what is in the game is there to play on that fact, or not.

Oh, I'll stay hyped alright, nothing can take that away from me. I just think all this other stuff is ridiculous :).

Haha, it is in many ways very ridiculous. :)

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By LikeaSsur

@likeassur said:

Incidentally, that river death was brutal, I cringed every single time.

I am sure I have said it before, but things like that are absolutely unnecessary and only serve to humiliate the player for making a split second mistake. Failing a QTE and having to watch my character be brutally murdered or trial and erroring my way down a river where any mistake means I have to watch an extended clip of my character getting their head impaled and struggling to remove it before falling limp does nothing to improve how I feel about playing your game. All it does is hold my face down in the mud and say "look at this, you made a mistake, watch them suffer, you deserve this." It has never once contributed positively to any video game experience.

/rantrantrant

While that's certainly true that it can be a little excessive, some people enjoy that risk factor, as it makes getting through the entire thing unscathed even that much better. It's actually one of the reasons I played Dead Space. I knew the deaths were horrifying and morbid, and thus, did my best to prevent it. The same goes with this game. Now I know for sure that Crystal Dynamics is not messing around, I have to be at the top of my game to get Lara out alive. When I do so, I bet I'll feel pretty great.

Alekss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By Alekss

@artemesia: Whoa there passive agressive internet person.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@funkydupe said:

They're still making this game with a focus on Lara as an object of desire; I am not shocked.

Yes she has a cleavage and a slim fit body that makes her an object of desire, yup exactly.

I was with you until I realized you weren't describing Conan.

frankfartmouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I'm not sure what Patrick would think about it, but I thought it was funny as hell.

Meepasaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Meepasaurus

I know it's already been mentioned, but that river death was pretty damn brutal.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@alekss said:

My mistake, I thought you were attempting discourse but you're just another dick. Moving along, then!

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

@meepasaurus: Pretty much had the same reaction as Conan and the audience. XD

Alekss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artemesia: Very upset this one. Like it got hurt in the rear. Move along then.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#61  Edited By Yummylee

@artemesia said:

@likeassur said:

I am sure I have said it before, but things like that are absolutely unnecessary and only serve to humiliate the player for making a split second mistake. Failing a QTE and having to watch my character be brutally murdered or trial and erroring my way down a river where any mistake means I have to watch an extended clip of my character getting their head impaled and struggling to remove it before falling limp does nothing to improve how I feel about playing your game. All it does is hold my face down in the mud and say "look at this, you made a mistake, watch them suffer, you deserve this." It has never once contributed positively to any video game experience.

/rantrantrant

While that's certainly true that it can be a little excessive, some people enjoy that risk factor, as it makes getting through the entire thing unscathed even that much better. It's actually one of the reasons I played Dead Space. I knew the deaths were horrifying and morbid, and thus, did my best to prevent it. The same goes with this game. Now I know for sure that Crystal Dynamics is not messing around, I have to be at the top of my game to get Lara out alive. When I do so, I bet I'll feel pretty great.

That's a pretty good way to put it. Having your character's death look so gruesome can certainly make for the perfect deterrent to make people try all that much harder to not die. Although I gotta admit, I loved all of the crazy death animations in stuff like Dead Space and RE4 -- RE5 was weirdly tame in that regard for some reason, which was admittedly disappointing. But I'm also a self-confessed gore-hound who enjoys crazy stuff like that.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alekss said:

My mistake, I thought you were attempting discourse but you're just another dick. Moving along, then!

Maybe it's time you took a look in the mirror? He wasn't being a dick in any way. He only responded to your comment which took something way out of proportion.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@yummylee: Her pants are fine, she's not wearing slim fit low rise jeans - they're cargo pants. She's wearing a tank top and it's not cut ridiculously low either. Sure it could be higher up but at some point YES she does have to look good - because it's a game and no one wants to look at a completely gross, mud covered baggy eyed survivor for 15 hours. The only issue I have is with people saying she's an object of desire or overtly sexual. She looks pretty normal. I suppose she could have been flat like Lilith from Darkstalkers but apart from her breasts which aren't outrageous or anything, she just looks like a good looking female adult. There are no fat, ugly leading male character (for the most part) just like there are no ugly, fat female leads (for the most part) Like I said earlier - I think people just aren't mature enough to handle women in videogames. I can only imagine the horror the 3D artists go through, racking their brains how to NOT make an attractive leading female character out of fear of being labeled sexist.

You wanna see some crazy, clearly male driven female character designs download Tera (free to play now) and basically click any female class or race.. I swear they're all wearing thongs with shirts that are half torn off and tiny shreds of fabric that are considered outfits.

Avatar image for secondpersonshooter
SecondPersonShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@likeassur said:

/rantrantrant

Dead Space disagrees with you

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I had my fingers crossed for a a wallpaper sized image of the Castlevania Lords of Shadow title. I am sorely disappointed.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Winternet

After seeing it, I don't see why Patrick wouldn't like this. Unless he doesn't like Conan O'Brien? I don't get it.

By the way, thanks @alexandersheen:

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: She looks like she could be a super model. Sure, she's obviously not as exaggerated as something like Ivy, but she's still that kind of character that ''women want to be and men want to be with'' (and vice versa I guess, so I don't then offend gay/lesbians...), which is exactly the same with Nathan Drake. She's ''normal'' only by video game character standards, but she's otherwise still a very good looking woman with the body to match. She's attractive to look at, sexy even, and again I can't stress this enough but, I have zero problem with that whatsoever. I never even cared all that much about Lara's original portrayal, I was simply airing my thoughts about how she's still very much a fantasy/Hollywood character and really isn't that much different than how she used to look like. Her lips don't look like they were modelled specifically so Angelina Jolie could play her live-action counterpart anymore, though. But once classic Lara's boobs were reduced during the later games, she actually started to look like she was in the same league of ''normal'' that this current Lara is in.

Hate to bring up another Uncharted comparison for fear of making this game sound redundant, but she sorta looks like the personality/face of Elena put into the body of Chloe. This is basically what this sexism debate has brought us; it's turned into such an insanely delicate subject now that the mere mention of 'sexiness' automatically puts everyone on high-alert.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I love that female reviewers are giving the game high marks and now dudes making comments aren't sure how to validate the perceived sexist found in the game.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@yummylee: Ahh but you see theres the rub - "by video game standards." I think thats what a lot of people tend to forget - that these are video games, it's fiction. I don't think she looks like a super model but she is definitely an attractive woman. I understand you have no problems with that, but how SHOULD video game characters look like? I'm trying to think of some video game characters, in leading or supporting roles, that were just plain looking and I'm drawing a blank. I think part of the problem lies in the fact that we can't model faces THAT realistically so they're mostly caricatures. You either have the extremely sleezeball looking type, or the super rugged, handsome, square jawed dood. It's hard to make a regular looking character without them looking like generic placeholder models. I think with the new generation and higher poly counts we will start seeing more face variation with subtle nuances - and then we will shy away from the super model/sleezy low life extremes.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Yummylee

@humanity: Characters like the cast of Heavy Rain (most importantly Scott Shelby) and Aveline from Dragon Age 2 are characters whom I would consider to be people who look normal -- pedestrian even. They're characters who exude flaws not only in their personalities but also appearances (and with Aveline I don't mean because she's ginger lol), which is rare. Of course Lara Croft is an action heroine so naturally she's still going to look like she was built by Zeus, but I think now we're only going to be heading in circles... Point is I think Lara Croft is still a highly idealised character, and that's fine.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#72  Edited By Animasta

I like how everyone started talking about how the women here viewed it when the only woman who posted so far was @Artemesia (afaik) but hey I don't want to ruin your crusade or anything :)

as far as I've heard the worst part is the weird dichotomy... "Oh no I am the helpless girl in strange situation" of the story and the "fucking blap blap blap motherfucker" of the gameplay.

Also I think she is clothed fine and she looks fine

BUT HEY WOMEN WANT TO COVER UP EVERYONE IN BURKAS rofl

Mrsignerman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, that river death ... I don't even ...

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Isn't this YouTube spam?

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dunno why Americans have a problem with the name Lara. It's nothing at all like Laura.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cale said:

I dunno why Americans have a problem with the name Lara. It's nothing at all like Laura.

that's because no one uses lara like that, it's always Laura. I've had plenty of Laura's in HS but I've never seen a single Lara.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tournamentofhate:

@bocam said:

@yummylee said:
@alexandersheen said:

@oraknabo said:

@bocam: I think you are grossly overestimating Patrick's sensitivity.

Is he?

This is the same guy whom I believe condemned that Cyberpunk announcement trailer as being sexist after all. It was during the Anarchy Reigns TNT I think?

It was during the "I Love Mondays" after the trailer was released. I totally forgot about that. (To be fair, Ryan also said it was sexist.)

dropping this link and running away as the OP is right

https://twitter.com/patrickklepek/status/306471740547158017

BlatantNinja23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know, the ending is pretty great. Don't know they went dead space ways to die crazy with this game.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That stick-through-the-throat bit just guaranteed that I'm never going to buy this game.

Avatar image for videogamesarenotart
videogamesarenotart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

you remember when conan was a thing?

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

@video_game_king said:

Isn't this YouTube spam?

snitches get stitches ya nark!

The way I heard it is "snitches get riches and all of the bitches".

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I couldn't give a shit about the sexist angle, the gore however... I'm not gonna say there's anything wrong with gore and violence in videogames (hell, I'm probably gonna buy the new GoW and enjoy it), but there's something to be said about context here. If I'm playing a fun adventure game I don't wanna be abruptly suprised by some horrific overly graphic snuff. The reaction in the video pretty much tells the story, everyone is laughing and having a fun time and as soon as that death animation rolls the entire audience disaproves what is happening. So ye, as with everything in life context is pretty damn important.

cbarnes86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@likeassur: Completely agree. I'm assuming there are even more brutal ways to die in that game. I hope I don't see many of them...

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Argh, I was so not going to get this game but now I really want to get this game.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cale said:

As an American: THANK YOU. I could never understand where "Laura" came from.

Also, beyond this post, I'm not touching this thread.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ares42: I mostly think it's a little much because it's supposed to be more realistic than something like GoW or MK or something

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#89  Edited By BigBoss1911

Well, its better than this...

Loading Video...

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Artemesia: I agree completely. I really can't stand death scenes like that, let alone when it's for a split second mistake.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animasta said:

@cale said:

that's because no one uses lara like that, it's always Laura. I've had plenty of Laura's in HS but I've never seen a single Lara.

I've never encountered anyone called Peyton in real life but I'm not ignorant enough to intentionally mispronounce it.

Also another one is Graham. NO IT'S NOT FUCKING GRAM. That pissed me off in 24.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Yummylee
@animasta said:

@ares42: I mostly think it's a little much because it's supposed to be more realistic than something like GoW or MK or something

Come on, Lara getting her neck punctured by a pipe while she's sliding down a stream at a super fast speed is nothing compared to what you'll find in a God of War or Mortal Kombat. Frankly I'm surprised people are so up in arms about it; there are certain elements that are a little out-of-place--most notably being when she sprays her AK up a bandit guy like she's auditioning for Commando as shown in the GT review--but the 'pipe meet neck' thing looked appropriate enough. I can emphasise for the people who are generally squeamish about that sorta stuff in general, but I still think it's fine for the context and the setting. She's meant to have found herself in an incredibly harsh and unforgiving landscape, so making the setting ripe for such gruesome deaths fits.

If she were to somehow explode into a glob of gibs, then that'd be pushing it... Actually I think it'd be hilarious if that could happen somehow, to reference that strange cheat code that lets you make Lara just instantly explode in the original games.

nintendork666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This just convinced me to check out Tomb Raider when it drops.

Thanks Conan!

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#94  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@bocam said:

@yummylee said:
@alexandersheen said:

@oraknabo said:

@bocam: I think you are grossly overestimating Patrick's sensitivity.

Is he?

This is the same guy whom I believe condemned that Cyberpunk announcement trailer as being sexist after all. It was during the Anarchy Reigns TNT I think?

It was during the "I Love Mondays" after the trailer was released. I totally forgot about that. (To be fair, Ryan also said it was sexist.)

then they're both wrong and have no idea what sexism actually is.

Both Ryan and Patrick strike me as guys who don't really give a shit and just pay lip service to a movement they don't care about so they aren't singled out. It's cowardly, but I don't blame them for it.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee:

Well, it's not so much the pipe through neck, but more the lingering shot of her desperately trying to stay alive. If it was just blam!, dead, fade to black with the character hanging by the pipe it wouldn't be close to as impactful. And I'm not saying it's worse or better than other games, but rather that it seems misplaced. Just look at a game like Dark Souls, they manage to project the same kind of feeling that you're talking about without any overly graphical death animations. I just think that a harsh and unforgiving setting and violent and graphical presentation are two different things, and they are usually only present together in horror-based media.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Yummylee

@ares42: Hmm, yeah I guess you're right, it is a bit gratuitous with the way they hang around on the shot like that.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee: that's exactly my point though! the brutality in GoW or MK is so extreme it's cartoonish. Tomb Raider is a little too realistic in it's violence for my personal taste. Not condemning anyone who doesn't find it the way I do though

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By CaLe

@animasta said:

@cale said:

I've seen interviews performed by Americans, where they are talking to the producers of the game who properly pronounce Lara, and they still continue to say Laura. I just don't get that. I'm from the UK and have never known anyone called Lara either, but even upon first reading the name I never thought it should read as Laura.

Gravier251

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't really have a problem with the death scene personally, especially given the seeming overall tone of the game. I think i'd prefer that to the excessive deadspace style where Lara would likely hit the pole and explode into a shower of gore and limbs. Besides, it isn't really a first as far as drawn out death scenes in the series go. Midas' Hand as a kid was always rather eerie and uncomfortable to witness, but I don't have a problem with it. Same with RE4, plenty of ways to die but it wasn't really an issue.

There really is an excess of controversy at times. Violent deaths with a male character are fine but with a woman they are sexist, excessive and not okay is almost how it seems. Any sort of sexuality or any female characters in general are decried as sexist now. Yes, I think female characters are under-represented and it is still male centric. But people seem to be going overboard trying to find controversy and sexism even if it isn't there. If you look hard enough you can read into anything as sexist, racist, etc. (Like the RE5 trailer, which I found all the more weird because the white enemies were present in the background of the original trailer).

I want things to be more diversified and equal, but screaming at shadows seems both excessive and sensationalist. People, genders, beliefs, etc. Are all pretty varied. Representing everyone fairly and well is a good thing to strive for though very hard to attain because there are inherent biases present dependant upon the creators. The answer is not however to censor absolutely everything concievable into an asexual, cultureless mess lest it offend someone. As for feminism, as far as I am aware it is not all about just repressing sexuality, there is the more open, sex-positive alternative aswell.

Equal representation is something to strive towards. But overcompensating so much as to cry for censorship is a dark path to start treading down for any artistic medium.

SonicBoyster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By SonicBoyster

Can we have less subtle/overt Patrick bashing in every god damn thread and youtube video and comment section on this website? Can't you guys make a subreddit or something? This thread was not made to have anything to do with sexism, it's youtube spam. We need less of this, in general, on the whole website.