PS4 Games I may have missed this generation?

Struggers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Hello, (Also sorry if wrong forum, I am new here)

Quick summary, used to be an avid gamer but various things (new kids, new job, moving house etc) I missed most of this generation of consoles. I have a PS4 and have been catching up with what I may have missed. I have played: spiderman, God of War, Assassins Odyssey, Uncharted 4 & Red Dead 2.

I have Final Fantasy VII remake and Persona 5 Royal on the to play list.

So, what other games would you consider to be essential for the PS4 from this generation I may have missed?

Only games I don't play are sports games and racing games.

Cheers for anyone advice

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Quantris

EDIT: Welcome!

I only recently picked up a PS4, and not sure I'd declare any of this "essential", but:

I really liked Judgment

You probably already know if you'd be interested in Kingdom Hearts 3 or not

Bloodborne is really cool

I played it on PC but Nier Automata is probably worth a look. Control as well.

I haven't played them but Monster Hunter World, MK11, and RE7 come to mind as big games that were well-received

Struggers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quantris: Thank you. From a little reading I don't think Kingdom Hearts is for me. Bloodborne, Control, Nier and Monster Hunter and certainty ones I will add to the list.

Thanks!

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll second Bloodborne and Nier.

I'd also recommend: Rocket League, Until Dawn, Resident Evil 2 Remake, Helldivers (for co-op play only), Hitman 2, DOOM (2016), Sekiro, Titanfall 2, SOMA, Spelunky, Cities Skylines, Yakuza 0, Tetris Effect and/or Puyo Pyuo Tetris, Dead Cells, and Danganronpa

Struggers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ry_ry: Thank you, I will check out Bloodborne and Nier. I will also add some of those other games to the list as well. Some of them I have never heard of.

Thanks!

trulyalive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 17

Horizon Zero Dawn was real good.

Also, if you try Yakuza 0 and like it, there’s like another 7 games you’ll probably enjoy.

I really dig Ratchet and Clank ‘16.

Struggers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@trulyalive: Thank you, I will give those a look as well. Ratchet and Clank could be a great addition to the list. Looks a lot of fun.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 bigsocrates  Online

How is this topic happening in June 2020 and nobody has asked whether you played the first The Last of Us (which has a great remastered version on PS4) or mentioned The Last of Us II? I assume if you've been to the front page you know about this game but the first game is one of my favorites of all time and the second game has some issues but is probably the prettiest game on PS4 and definitely worth playing through.

Struggers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigsocrates: Thank you. I have not played the Last of Us or II. There seems to be a lot of controversy with the second one but I hear the first game is great. I will have a look at the first one and see if I like it enough to get the 2nd.

Thank you!

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• The Witcher 3 + DLC, assuming you haven't played it on a PC capable of running it.
  • Bloodborne
  • Ratchet and Clank
  • Horizon: Zero Dawn
  • Hitman 2 (this should come with all the Hitman 2016 levels)
  • Doom 2016
  • Dead Cells
  • Stardew Valley, if you don't have it on PC
  • God of War
  • Control
liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

#11  Edited By liquiddragon
  • Metal Gear Solid 5
  • Celeste
  • Life is Strange
  • Life is Strange - Before the Storm
  • Night in the Woods
  • Wolfenstein: The New Order
  • Wolfenstein: The New Colossus
  • Thumper
  • Hyper Light Drifter
  • Inside

Couple of my favorites include The Last Guardian and Gravity Rush 2 but those are not as popular and maybe a bit more niche so do a little research and check 'em out if you'd think you'd like them.

Struggers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@therealturk: Cool thank you. Seem people are keen on Bloodbourne, Ratchet and Clank, Horizon and Control. I will give those a look first but will add the rest of your list as well. Also the love for Dead Cells is interesting.

Struggers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@liquiddragon: Cool, that's great. A very different list to everyone else, I don't think you have a single overlap. I will check them out. Thank you very much.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

The Zone of the Enders 2 remaster's really solid.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I was going to say Dad of Boy, but you got that one. So I guess I'll say Infamous: Second Son and Infamous: First Light.

(Note to self: Play Infamous 2.)

Struggers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I consider God of War, Red Dead 2, and Uncharted 4 the top tier games of this gen. If you want games on their level or maybe a little below, I'd say Witcher 3, Horizon Zero Dawn, and TLAU Remastered. I would,'t bother with TLAU2, the game didn't need a sequel, so TLAU1 is a complete experience - there's no cliffhanger or anything.

For smaller games, I second Dead Cells. I actually had even more fun with Wizard of Legend, if you don't mind retro graphics.

Control has great graphics and gameplay, but the story towards the end went flat and felt unfinished. Maybe the DLC helps with that, I haven't played the DLC yet.

Avatar image for king_of_destiny
king_of_destiny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most of my suggestions have already been mentioned here. A smaller game which I don't think has is Echo. It might be top of my list of games that I wish had a sequel made, the concept is so good and when it all comes together it's a great experience

Struggers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathstriker: Cool thank you. I have already covered the your top tier, which is good. I will give TLOU 1 a look. Hearing a lot of mixed things about 2. I dont mind retro graphics, I will look into Wizard of Legend and Dead Cells. I am also hearing a lot of good things about Control.

Struggers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Struggers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rethuklen: Thank you, that is a good varied list.

stise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you enjoy immersive-sim style games like Deus Ex and Bioshock/System Shock, Arkane killed it this generation with arguably the two best-ever entries in the genre, Dishonored 2 and Prey. You can currently get both in a bundle for $20 on PSN!

If you're a fan of exploratory, atmospheric puzzle-solving a la Myst, I'd highly recommend Outer Wilds, Return of the Obra Dinn, and Obduction. If you prefer your puzzle games to be a more singularly focused brainteaser gauntlet a la Portal, then The Talos Principle is A++.

MF_GOON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Strongly second Outer Wilds. And would also add The Witness and Baba is You as two great puzzle games from this gen. A few other games that I don’t think have been mentioned are Uncharted Lost Legacy, Pyre, and Overcooked 2 (very fun couch co-op, not so fun alone)

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I've played through the PC version of Subnautica several times this year. It has quickly become one of my favorite games of this generation, if not of all time, so I'd definitely recommend that!

A lot of must plays for this generation have been mentioned, so I'll just note some other stuff that was missed:

• Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night is one of the best Metroidvanias to come out in a long time. I also think Timespinner is an awesome game, if you're looking for something with a more sprite-y look. A lot of people like Hollow Knight so it's worth looking into, but I tried to get into that game three times and was bored to tears.
  • Alien: Isolation is the best thing to come out of that franchise in over thirty years
  • Astroneer is one of the most chilled-out crafting games ever made. Technically, it's a survival game because you have to pay attention to your oxygen, but that's the only thing you need to really care about.
  • Divinity: Original Sin 2 is an excellent isometric turn-based RPG filled to the brim with content. The developer, Larian Studios, is now making Baldur's Gate 3. Speaking of...
  • ...if you were ever interested in old-school CRPGs but don't like mouse controls, Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 made it to consoles late last year.
  • Katana Zero is another cool side scroller with a good idea behind it.
  • Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun is a fun twist on the whole stealth genre. It's not the first time this style of stealth game has been tried, but I don't think anyone else has tried it in recent memory.
  • Shadow Warrior got a reboot and a sequel this generation that are both pretty good. They're not this generation's top-tier shooters, but they are unique and interesting enough to give them a look.
  • Steamworld Dig 1 and 2 are some interesting takes on the whole Metroidvania thing.
  • Torchlight 2 got a PS4 port and is probably your best bet for a Diablo-like loot game outside of actual Diablo 3, which also got a console port this generation.
  • And, finally, X-Com 2 came out for PS4 this generation, if you're looking for a new turn-based strategy game to get into.
Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Bloodborne is great, inFamous: Second Son is good, that Sly Cooper game is a good time if you have a fondness for the series, Metal Gear Solid V is maybe the best stealth game ever made, Nioh is a good fast-paced souls-like, Yakuza 0 is great, but you can just watch the GBEast playthrough really, those Digimon Hacker/World games have gotten decent if you like Digimon, if you end up liking Persona 5 check out Tokyo Xanadu. I guess that's all I got for now.

@facelessvixen: Yes, infamous 2 is the best one.

bondfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

If you are looking for the best kart racing game, pick up Crash Team Racing Nitro Fueled. Extremely fast paced a lot of fun and extremely rewarding once you understand and start to master the mechanics of it. It's a much better game than Mario Kart all around.