The easily missed great games of 2013

• 78 results
hans_maulwurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

How's the Workshop scene been around that game? I think I'll probably pick this up in the Christmas Steam Sale.

Can't tell about the quality having not played any of, but quantity wise there sure seems to be a lot now. I'd say it's worth it though for the main game alone, especially if you can pick it up during sale. Took me 12h to finish, which I think is pretty good for such a straightforward, grind-free game.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

@yummylee said:

I swear, this is like the third ''unappreciated/missed games of the year/generation'' thread I've seen this month.

There weren't that many AAA games released this year that are really "GOTY-worthy". Bioshock Infinite had a pretty good story, Tomb Raider had really good gameplay, but neither of those should be "the best that this year has to offer". Yet those two and The Last of Us are pretty much what we've got. Maybe Devil May Cry and Metro Last Light. Is it really a surprise that some people are saying "Hey! There are good games over here, you guys just aren't paying attention"? Especially when the 3DS should pretty much win everything this year.

Err...? I get the feeling you may have responded to the wrong person.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

Nobody paid attention when Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge came out. As a huge fan of modern Ninja Gaiden and the opposite of a fan of Ninja Gaiden 3, I'd say they fixed it. If anything, it's way harder than the earlier games now

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Muramasa: Rebirth was pretty awesome.

And I really liked Cloudberry Kingdom. Not top ten but solid!

And I keep forgetting that Heart of the Swarm came out this year, despite playing the shit out of Wings of Liberty.

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OBJECTION!!!

It's Phoenix Wright Dual Destinies.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#56  Edited By Ramone

MOTHERFUCKING GUNPOINT.

Seriously though, if you haven't played that game, you should. It's one the funniest and best written games I've ever played and it's pretty damn fun to play.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I think a lot of people have already spoken about games that may be overlooked this year (Metro: Last Light is definitely one), but I would like to put in my vote for overlooked soundtrack. Thought the game popped onto Steam recently, I think Tiny Barbarian DX has an incredibly good score for what the overall package is trying to achieve: an absolute hommage to Nintendo-era action games, but the song constructions are pretty darn modern if you listen closely. I'm not one to constantly seek old-school shit, but I think Jeff Ball did a great job here.

Guesty_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does DLC count? If so the Tiny Tina DLC for Borderlands 2 was really good stuff that I don't often see mentioned.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My own suggestion to the thread is a XBLA indie game called One Finger Death Punch. I remember someone making a thread about it here on the board. It's well worth both time and a tiny fraction of money for the stick figure carnage that game have.

Card Hunter! It's an SRPG with a bit of TCG mixed in made by an ex-Irrational Games dev. Oh yeah and it's a free to play flash game- NO DON'T LEAVE THE F2P HOOKS AREN'T MALICIOUS! Seriously, if they had sold the single player campaign for like 15 bucks I would've bought it. Go try it, it's free and it's really good.

Holy shit, I have heard people talking about it. And I just spent a good hour playing it when I was just intending to "try it". Man, really digging the overall style and feel of the game. Thanks for the reminder!

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#60  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

Fire Emblem Awakening is pretty rad. I wish more people played it.

jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

Kentucky Route Zero

peritus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By peritus

@meatball said:
@nekroskop said:

Metal Gear Rising. That game has to make at least top 15. DMC shouldn't even be allowed in the top 30, Brad

Metal Gear Rising is definitely in my personal Top 10, gotta disagree with you on DmC, though, it's a great game and easily one of the 20 best games I've played this year.

I should play Metal Gear Rising! Thanks for reminding me.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pezen said:

My own suggestion to the thread is a XBLA indie game called One Finger Death Punch. I remember someone making a thread about it here on the board. It's well worth both time and a tiny fraction of money for the stick figure carnage that game have.

@thunderslash said:

Card Hunter! It's an SRPG with a bit of TCG mixed in made by an ex-Irrational Games dev. Oh yeah and it's a free to play flash game- NO DON'T LEAVE THE F2P HOOKS AREN'T MALICIOUS! Seriously, if they had sold the single player campaign for like 15 bucks I would've bought it. Go try it, it's free and it's really good.

Holy shit, I have heard people talking about it. And I just spent a good hour playing it when I was just intending to "try it". Man, really digging the overall style and feel of the game. Thanks for the reminder!

No problem! The pseudo tabletop setting and the sound effects are just great. They really give the game an awesome and unique atmosphere.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#64  Edited By BeachThunder

I wish it were cheaper...

misquared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By misquared

Rune Factory 4! It came out the same time as GTA V, and I get the feeling that no one noticed that it existed.

Do you like Harvest Moon + dungeon crawling + all the motherfucking crafting and cooking that you can handle + romances/frendships with awesome characters + able to play as a male or female protag? Then you need this game in your life, it's fucking fantastic.

T0MBraider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Metro Last Light, DMC: Devil May Cry and Ryman Legends.

VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No way. The games I see duders posting ARE obvious. And Metro Last Light might be too. BUT GO PLAY METRO LAST LIGHT AND ENJOY IT!

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Once my backlog clears out I'm definitely hopping on the Blood Dragon/Gunslinger bundle.

Blood Dragon arguably has the best soundtrack of the year, and if you can stand dumb humor, it's pretty funny too. It also has a lot of '80s film references which is awesome, which is why the soundtrack is great as well. You could easily do everything the game has to offer if you run through it, in just six hours. I don't think that's how long it took me my first time though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXXVaq0AcLQ&list=PLL-GuEbD-2_sQaSVtwG3shVmTkk3JLYaV

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@themanwithnoplan said:

I wish it were cheaper...

Yeah. Nintendo games have a problem of never really going down in price. I recently went to go buy a copy of Super Mario 3d land and it's still 40 bucks.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

Man, that Call of Juarez game really was pretty cool. I hope they make another.

Other than that, definitely Rayman Legends. Those music levels really are something special.

Monty_vaca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

Definitely seconding Metal Gear Rising. Really loved that game.

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers - it's technically an older game, but it's the first time it's been released in the US and it's great. Going to be over shadowed by SMT 4, but they are both great games. I probably even prefer Soul Hackers just because I like the characters in Soul Hackers a whole lot better (Nemissa is awesome!)

Playing through Zeno Clash 2 at the moment, hoping it turns out to be as good as the first one.

Wish I had the time to get to Wonderful 101 this year, but I don't think I'm going to. I hear that game gets great after a slow start.

i8Donuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Antichamber.

That game come out really early this year so I think many have forgotten about it.

mclargepants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#73  Edited By mclargepants

The Swapper. Had the misfortune of releasing just before Gunpoint which made a much bigger splash in the indie space. Both are great, Gunpoint is probably better all around, but The Swapper is seriously great too. More people should play that game.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#74  Edited By BeachThunder

@i8donuts said:

Antichamber.

That game come out really early this year so I think many have forgotten about it.

This is definitely something that anyone with an interest in puzzle games/having their brain messed with should check out.

wumbo3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 38

Fire Emblem: Awakening and Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f0e8dcf3078d
deactivated-5f0e8dcf3078d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fire Emblem Awakening is my GotY. I have not been as hooked on a game as I am to that in years. I literally cannot put it down without feeling anxious and wanting to pick it up again. Such a good game.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll give a nod to Swapper and Gunpoint. Fire Emblem Awakening is great and all, but I feel like people talked about it nonstop for 2 months after it came out. So, I'm not sure how anyone could have "missed" it.

Vod_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@shagge: Yeah, I hope they can finish that Duke Nukem 3D remake they are supposedly working on someday!