Dray2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Dray2k

Hey everyone!

I just wanted to create a thread not fully about the games themselves, but about whatever music in any recent game you've played stood out for you.

This week, I find three tracks with outstanding music memoriable, in one way or the other.

First is the funniest music I've heard in recent times, perhaps even in months. Its this song for the Mount and Blade: Warband mod called Gekokujo, which has the sengoku jidai as its main setting. Even just reading the title probably tells you more about the song as it should.

It took me by suprise and I had to laugh for a few minutes for sure, if you ever played a few hours of Mount and Blade you know that most of your time is spent by killing people.

The next game is something I've recently picked up again, which is some good old Stellaris. For me, this song always stands out from any other. Perhaps because its like a earworm, I sometimes humm it whenever it apears. It certainly is the most memoriable track the Stellaris OST for me.

I wouldn't be suprised if some people play it mostly just for the music, its really good.

Last but not least I've been playing a rather unique game of 3030 Deathwar Redux. Without saying much about the game, this music sometimes comes up whenever you're crusing around IN SPACE.

I do recommend this game, pick up if you've enjoyed The Fifth Element back in the day.

So, what music in recent memory from whatever game you've played recently stood out the most?

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

A song from Heat Signature called 'Foundry - Remix'. It's the music that plays when you are the mission select hub.

It's not on YouTube but the soundtrack album is on Spotify and that's where I'm listening to it. It's a great track that has really stuck with me.

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By kcin

Every time I see one of those big ass speakers in Prey, I turn it on to hear the soft ambient synth song that is attached to all of them.

hans_maulwurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By hans_maulwurf

I finished night in the woods a couple days ago. Played a lot of the rhythm mini game, especially my favorite:

Loading Video...

Ktargo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Ktargo

Too many good songs in Nier to list them all, but the amusement park music has really stuck with me.

Loading Video...

Persona 5 is another one with way too many songs that get stuck in my head but this one is a personal favorite. One of the themes in Futaba's desert dungeon.

Loading Video...

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

#7  Edited By liquiddragon

Playing Night in the Wood right now and the entire soundtrack sounds good to me but if I had to pick one, maybe the one in the video store?

ichthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nier - Weight of the World. Can't get that stupid song out of my head.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Since Nier is the most recent game (other than Hitman 2016) I've been playing, I'd say a couple of tracks in that game. Memories of Dust and Amusement Park.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#10  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

The music for Life is Strange: Before the Storm is even better than the first game. This track (Burn It Down, by Daughter) in particular is fantastic.

I'm also hugely fond of this one from Tokyo 42.

Can I just add what a bummer it is that the excellent Ard Skellig background music from Witcher 3 wasn't on the score, at least as far as I can tell? That's one of the more gorgeous pieces of music from games in recent years.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yakuza: Kiwami was the most recent game I played. The soundtrack doesn't hit quite the highs of 0, but there's still some good stuff, like this:

Loading Video...

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

Beneath the mask, Life will Change and Jump up super Star have been off and on in my head since the first time I listened to them.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By BoOzak

The most recent game I played was Majora's Mask and the only song that really stuck with me was this one.

Loading Video...

It was probably because each time you were required to play it you got some nice little story bits along side it.

My favourite song from last year was "Judgement" from Yakuza 0. It's still stuck in my head and I played through that game awhile ago. No complaints though.

TheChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By TheChris

The battle theme of Ishin

Loading Video...

I also like the new version of Outlaw's Lullaby but I'm a bit disappointed in the overall soundtrack, as it lacks many of the original tracks from Yakuza 2.

Loading Video...

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Credits theme from Persona 4:

Loading Video...

Soooooooo many songs from Mario Sunshine, but let's stick with Ricco Harbor because it's the one I'm thinking of right now:

Loading Video...

Sonic Mania'a kind of cheating because it has so many songs from previous games, but here's one they made themselves. To be honest, the one that's stuck with me the most is the music from the pre-order trailer, but it's not in the game itself. So instead I'll put the second best:

Loading Video...

This is the reason I watch the opening every time I play.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Loading Video...

Dray2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Dray2k

So many good picks, y'all.

Today I've played like 15 minutes to some Outcast - Second Contact. Good game, even though its emulating some of the most clunky control schemes from the 90s but its sooo charming.

Every piece of the OST is great. This was playing while doing one quest. I need to go back into it again but its a really lengthy game.

Loading Video...

BrunoTheThird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BrunoTheThird

I loved Thumper's Terminator 2-esque closing theme.

Loading Video...

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By FacelessVixen

As much as I don't want to say something from the Nier soundtrack, I'm going to mention the various mixes of City Ruins (Rays of Light) from the Nier soundtrack. And Pascal. ...And Alien Manifestation.

I haven't been this enchanted by an entire game soundtrack since Final Fantasy X.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Recent games? Nier is amazing. I also just recently got around to The Flame in the Flood, which is top notch. Those soundtracks coupled with Silent Hill 1 and 2 are probably my all time favorites.

I haven't played either, but the trailers for Crypt of the Necrodancer and The Sexy Brutale sound pretty amazing, too.

Dray2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nutter: I mean I can emphasize for sure and some people might even call Niers OST the soundtrack of the last nieryear.

@facelessvixen: Crypt of the Necrodancer is considered one of the all time best games and I also highly recommend that you should check it out.

DinosaurCanada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

everything from Nier and Persona

wollywoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

This.

Okay, technically I haven't played this recently. In fact I haven't played it at all because Nintendo hasn't re-released it on Switch yet. But. That soundtrack.

odinsmana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have never actually played Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers, but I came across this track while playing Theatrhythm: Curtain Call recently and now I kinda want to play it.

Loading Video...

WezqApe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By WezqApe

The Battleground menu music is really good at building hype for the next round.

I'm cheating a bit since I haven't played this recently, but still after several years the first thing that pops into my head when thinking about musical scores in games is Max Payne. The theme song fit the noir theme exceptionally well.

Recent favourites I would have gone for first like Cuphead and Nier: Automata have already seen plenty of attention in this thread.

I haven't played Thumper but the soundtrack really makes me want to give it a try.

KennyD6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Has to be Persona 5 for me. I'm in the middle of my 3rd playthrough trying to get the Platinum with minimal guidance (300+ hours so far and two trophies left)Wake Up, Get up, Get Out there and Layer Cake have found their way to my running playlist. And Beneath the Mask has become a quick go-to for when I'm editing video or writing. I very rarely will pull out songs from game OST the last were probably Persona 4 and MGS3, and Persona 5 has been a joy to listen to for all the hours I have wasted away.

TheChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The sword training music though -- Love it <3

Loading Video...

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

I know it's pretty divisive but Breath of the Wild's soundtrack is fantastic for me. The sparse music inside the shrines, the Goron tune, and the slowly building music inside Hyrule Castle are all some of the best stuff I've heard in a long time.

Avatar image for bowl-of-lentils
Bowl-of-Lentils

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#30  Edited By Bowl-of-Lentils
Loading Video...

Loading Video...

Loading Video...

Ys VIII had a really good soundtrack.

Also these:

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Recently got around to playing this under-appreciated horror game called Sylvio and the soundtrack of both Sylvio 1 & 2 have been stuck on my mind since. Haunting to say the least..

Loading Video...

AzureGale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By AzureGale

Okay, so West of Loathing has this visual and narrative style that is completely wacky. People are stick figures, classes include Cow Puncher and Snake Oiler, enemies you face include hellcows and shaving-cream-covered skeletons, and there's a running gag involving your character reaching into spittoons for items and the narrator becoming increasingly more disgusted every time you do it.

The music. The freaking music, though, includes pieces like the main theme and "Draw!", the battle theme. The music is something I expect to hear in an actually dramatic Western work and not a goofy game like this one. However, it is so much better for it. The contrast between this serious music and not serious game is awesome.

IVIemories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By IVIemories
Loading Video...

This is one of the more haunting soundtracks I've heard recently, reminding me of several songs in viking conquest. Fits in nicely with the theme of the game too, where your goal is to ascend to godhood and the only way of doing so is through warfare.

misquared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

This song has been stuck in my head for like, a year now. So good.. making the change to the way they do battle music (general "Calm" theme for when you're zoomed out, "Blaze" version when you zoom in to character combat) is the best changes they've made the the franchise.

Also, bless the people on youtube that make excellent mixes of the battle themes that switch between the two versions.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Nier and Persona 5 are full of them.

Jurck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Xenoblade fans often praise Xenoblade Chronicles and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 for their music, but while I think they have very good soundtracks, I can only recall the melody of two or three songs; the soundtrack as a whole was simply what you'd expect out of fantasy adventure music.

In my excitement for the release of Xenoblade Chronicles 2, I replayed the entirety of Xenoblade Chronicles X back in November. For some weird reason, with this second playthrough the music just clicked for me. Months later, I'm still listening to the soundtrack and all of its corny goodness.

Loading Video...

Der_Folger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still slogging my was through Cuphead and if I have enough of bashing my head against bosses I just go into the dice House and listen to King Dice's Song. That thing is great. Also the Barber Shop in the Main Menu.

Loading Video...

TheChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This gorgeous piano track from Yakuza 0's Chapter 8

Loading Video...

YummyTreeSap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

The soundtrack for Everything is outstanding. Sometimes the elements in that game (music, theme, writing, its largeness) line up in such a way that nears being overwhelming. I guess you don't get a video game soundtrack released on the always spectacular Erased Tapes without being something truly special.

ToxicAntidote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's obliously been mentioned many times over and over, but the music from NieR:Automata is some of the best OST I've heard.

Even more recent is Monster Hunter World, which has some very epic battle themes. This is my favorite one so far.

Loading Video...

DarkHeraldMage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By DarkHeraldMage

For me that's a no-brainer, Horizon Zero Dawn. I listened to that soundtrack for weeks if not months after my first playthrough. "Aloy's Theme" was beautiful, moving even.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for wetsawdustdemon
WetSawdustDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gonna second the Stellaris soundtrack, this is one of my favourite tracks

Loading Video...

I also really like the music in like parts of the Furi

Loading Video...

Oh and Brigador!

Loading Video...

Lastly, there's just something about the atomic era music in Civ 6 that I love (the ones for Russia and Scythia are great as well)

Loading Video...

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Currently playing through Pyre and the soubdtrack is pretty fucking excellent.

ugivemethelulz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The pokemon battle themes. Especially lorekeeper zinnia's theme and Iris's champion music. Man I never really noticed how good they were until now.

Loading Video...

Loading Video...

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Just played through Heretic. This track keeps getting stuck in my head:

Loading Video...