The Official Unofficial GiantBomb MGS V Non-Lethal Weapon Fight: Riot SMG vs. Tranq Pistol

• 82 results
Avatar image for deactivated-5c15a9c63664d
deactivated-5c15a9c63664d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll The Official Unofficial GiantBomb MGS V Non-Lethal Weapon Fight: Riot SMG vs. Tranq Pistol (741 votes)

Tranq Pistol: Screw those loud rubber bullets! 89%
Riot SMG: More bullets to fulton more dudes 8%
Forget that! All Lethal! All The Time! 3%

Pretty simple. In the Metal Gear Scanlon comments, a fight has been brewing. So, choose your non-lethal weapon of choice.

• 
BoccKob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you aren't sneaking up and choking dudes, why are you even playing.

Avatar image for pixelsnthoughts
pixelsnthoughts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

What about the good old sneaking up and planting c4 stealth gag?

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By csl316

I had the tranq pistol for the whole game. I kicked the game's ass.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

The Riot SMG is perfectly fine in some situations. I used it some once I had the tranq sniper doing my tranqing duties.

As it pertains to Metal Gear Scanlon, Drew should just be using the tranq because it is WAY more to his play style. He hardly gets up close enough to anyone to make the Riot SMG the right choice. That's a close quarters weapon only.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

#5  Edited By audioBusting

I prefer tranq pistols, but I'm starting to dig the water pistol even more...

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By donchipotle

Tranq sniper rifle with a suppressor.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Tranq pistol all day every day. The suppressor on the Riot SMG breaks ridiculously fast and the weapon itself has terrible range.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By TobbRobb
Avatar image for rhombus_of_terror
Rhombus_Of_Terror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Really liking the fact I have the infinite suppressor WU tranq pistol now :3

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Tranq pistol motherfuckers, thats where it is at. Tranq Rifles are pretty dope as well.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tranq pistol for sure. I use one of the non-lethal assault rifles as well for when the time comes to spray and pray.

coolarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 9

Tranq pistol all the way. I also used tranq sniper rifle a lot but in close quarters situations the pistol is great at taking out dudes instantly. I had problems with the riot SMG just not downing guys even when I thought I shot them in the head.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By mike

I used the Wu SIlent Pistol, then the Burkov tranq variant with suppressor for the rest of the game once I researched it. I tried the Riot SMG but found it to be far too inaccurate for my taste. I also almost always carried a suppressed tranquilizer rifle of some type.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

100% the tranq pistol.

But, really, once you get a suppressed tranq sniper rifle, that's all you need.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whatever the situation calls for; I'm adaptable.

defaultprophet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Correct answer is the tranq Burkov. Semi-auto tranq pistol.

Also fully tricked out tranq Renov.

Basically tranq effect > Rubber bullet effect

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By kasaioni

There's a rank 6 tranq sniper rifle that has a medium suppressor and puts guys to sleep within two seconds no matter where you hit them. It's the only weapon you need to sneak (+ D-Dog).

prewaroregon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tranq Pistol is best gun. If you miss, there is no sound to alert the guards and you can shoot the guards anywhere and they will eventually go to sleep. Worked great for my 100+ hours.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Yeah, Dan's obsession with the Riot SMG is entirely lost on me. That thing is loud and clunky and the supressor runs out incredibly fast. Fuck that.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tranq pistol, Tranq sniper, rubber bullet AR.

Also decoys. All the decoys.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tranq, I haven't seen the last couple episodes yet but i feel Dan has had a little to much influence on Drews play style this time around. I guess Drew has deferred to him a lot though. The lack of camo though... i mean at least give it a shot lol. ;-/

FunkyHugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Tranq pistol is perfect. I tried the rubber smg once and it sprayed more out of control and loudly than my 16 year old self in the bathroom.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c15a9c63664d
deactivated-5c15a9c63664d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I prefer tranq pistols, but I'm starting to dig the water pistol even more...

Does the water pistol have any practical use, or is it just a gag weapon?

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By audioBusting

@captainthunderpants: it's only a decent stagger on headshots (only slightly useful for CQC), but it can destroy electronics silently. I just use the sniper rifle for tranqs.

Edit: and I forgot to mention, you still can hold people up with it, which is what I usually do anyway.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

Tranq pistol, it's not even a question. Riot SMG is for when you want to go loud but non-lethally, and even then the knock out assault rifle is a way better choice.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Mirado

I'm glad to see most people have made the correct choice. Tranq weapons are far better for stealthy players because they attract less attention (no alert on a miss, a non-knockout hit, or a knockout seen by another enemy), can be used to knockout a whole base nearly at once with dart timing, and have a far better upgrade tree (infinite suppressors are invaluable). If you want to go loud, they function nearly the same way, and you should probably be using lethal weapons at that point anyway, as bodyshot rubber bullets are useless against riot guards or shields, which will be frequent enemies if you intend to go loud throughout the game, and the range falloff is terrible, so get used to dudes with shotguns getting all up in your face.

The Riot SMG is cheap to deploy, and that's it. Tranq weapons offer far more flexiblity and are much better if you intend to sneak around. If you want to go loud, you probably aren't too bothered about capturing people alive anyway. On top of all that, the tranq effect lasts longer than a stun headshot.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bocckob said:

If you aren't sneaking up and choking dudes, why are you even playing.

Holding them up is for the realest of men.

chu52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

So I was team tranq 100% of my first play through. Second play through I'm an angel of death.

You know what never wavered for me? M4 with a shotgun underbarrel.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Tranq pistol for missions

Riot SMG when I just want to free roam and mess around.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This isn't a fight. Tranq wins easily. The one thing the riot smg is good for(shooting lots of bullets really fast) is worthless when it burns through a suppressor in less than a clip.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tranq pistol all the way, especially the silenced tranq Burkov you get later on.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mike said:

I used the Wu SIlent Pistol, then the Burkov tranq variant with suppressor for the rest of the game once I researched it. I tried the Riot SMG but found it to be far too inaccurate for my taste. I also almost always carried a suppressed tranquilizer rifle of some type.

Same here. I tried the Riot SMG once. I thought it was going to be brilliant but it was rubbish. With the pistols I can reliably take out a dude without a helmet in one shot from about 50 meters away, and if not then I just shoot them in the leg and wait a couple of seconds.

The Wu, a silenced sniper rifle and a silenced assault rifle are my bread and butter. Now that I've finished the game I'm cleaning up a bunch of side ops using the shotguns and other weapons for fun.

Frybird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tranq. It's not even an argument.

Rubber Bullets are only maybe useful with ARs, and even then one shot anywhere on the body that usually won't alert the guard being hit (or missed) more than makes up for the higher bullet drop (or the slower firing speed, but as said, riot smgs burn so hard through supressors that it's hardly any advantage anyway)

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I use the Wu at up to 90 meters for headshots and timed group-drop bodyshots. Stun which it is important to know is STN rather than ZZZ has its uses, like when you're unable to sneak up on a big super-armoured soldier but you want to fulton it so hard, BRRRRT and you're good.

Cagliostro88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Cagliostro88

Stun Uragan-5!!!

Just kidding, tranq pistol all the way

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Jesus_Phish

@chu52: How do you get under-barrel weapons? I've got the gunsmith who lets me customize weapons but all I can put on any under-barrel's are crappy little grips that don't kill people.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Riot one-shots if needed (no reason to use it like a hose) mixed with tranq snipers. Overall we mostly CQCed our way through everything.

Near the "end" of the game we had infinite suppressors on all weapons suppressors were compatible with.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By rethla

@jesus_phish: Develop more weapons. When you customize weapons you get to choose and match parts from all the weapond you have developed. Also to customize some configurations you may need dudes with certain skills.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#41 chaser324  Moderator

I voted tranq, but CQC was definitely my primary method of neutralizing people.

Baltaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The tranq pistol provides better range I feel, plus the eventual infinite suppressor option makes it a must. That and you can hit a guy in the arm or leg once and he'll drop eventually without kicking of an alert straight away.

My tranq pistol and customized silenced un-arc-nl assault rifle (with added sleep grenade launcher) combo served me well (once I got all the necessary parts researched). Add the silenced tranq sniper rifle or rocket launcher of choice depending on the mission and I found I was prepared for most of what was thrown at me.

BallsLeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

Air shock Uragan-5 and an air shock Rasp.

Or maybe not. Both cost a bunch of fuel to use and are both loud as hell (and not all that effective). But they're kind of fun!

Khrae_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To be honest, Quiet just shot everyone with the tranq rifle, I just used the SMG to mop up anyone she missed

Maluvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another vote for tranq pistol here.

For normal sneaking I used some form of ZZZ weapon (tranq pistol, tranq rifle, etc.). Sleep is the best.

My biggest problem with the stun SMG is that it burns through suppressor quickly and accuracy isn't great past a short distance once you're in a situation where you might have to spray targets.

I will say that I do load up on stun weapons where there's a high value target and I'm concerned that a stray lethal shot might be an issue but in that situation I definitely prefer a stun assault rifle over the SMG.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I voted tranq, but CQC was definitely my primary method of neutralizing people.

Hand to hand! It is the basis of all combat! Only a fool trusts his life to a weapon!

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Pistol all the way. The only times I ever used it were for mid-range situations where I wanted to conserve sniper ammo, in which case the darts were the much safer option on the off-chance that I missed the headshot.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#49 sgtsphynx  Moderator

@kasaioni: yep, the.308 tranq rifle is the best

ratamero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tranq pistol, smoke grenades for when there's a bunch of soldiers together and I want to make sure no one sees anyone else fall asleep.