Update on Arcade Pit

ALLTheDinos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

I meant to post this earlier in the week, but kept forgetting. I'm subbed to Smight on Patreon, and he posted the following update on Arcade Pit that I thought others might be interested in:

Regarding GiantBomb, it definitely sucked to hear the layoffs news. I wasn't expecting that, and hope that Jess & Jason both are able to find powerful new careers. I was indirectly affected, as you may have noticed; we are still looking to do some Arcade Pits over there, but it is currently on a sort of hiatus, and they may slow down in frequency from what was happening before. The fact that I've not been at 100% hasn't helped matters, either.

The "not 100%" part refers to him being sick recently (nothing too serious or permanent, according to him). Hoping it does come back, it's consistently one of my favorite things on the site despite the fact I can almost never catch it live.

InStInCt666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Hey, Thanks ! i was actually coming to the forums to see what was up with that.

Gotta be honest, with everything that has been happening, i expected the worst.

noboners

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for sharing this information. I've been watching his Sunday shows recently to make up for the lack of Pit on the site and kept forgetting to ask the chat there if they knew anything.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Hey, sorry there wasn't an official update on this - should've put it in the Monday article. I think we'd all love to do more AP and intend to do so but yes it most likely won't be weekly going forward.

daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 12

Shame. This is literally the best show Giant Bomb provides now.

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By AV_Gamer

So no more Giant Bomb Arcade Pit? Of course, it was too good, so it can't be on Fandom's GB. However, if you people really like the PIT, the show existed before it became temporarily part of GB. Just look them up on Twitch.

Avatar image for wasteland_alpha
WasteLand_Alpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you can't afford content, what do you have left?

There is the old content, that I have spoken about several time, and I the games wiki, but I never use the actual games wiki. I just came for the podcast and the live content.

Death by a thousand cuts indeed.
Matt.

Avatar image for wasteland_alpha
WasteLand_Alpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By WasteLand_Alpha

Smight, Emily, and their community are awesome. I shall seek them out on other platforms.

Gyratyne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a real pity that corporate doesn't see the value of Arcade Pit. Just another number on a spreadsheet that doesn't return enough on investment. No respect for the audience and community.

styx971

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By styx971

@allthedinos: thanks for this , also thanks for the clearlity of sorts @rorie . its a shame but unlike other things least its something we can get elsewhere . i'll have to look up their stuff better since while i avoided it innitially it was actually probably the only outside thing i've liked that came to this site in the weird piviot ...probably cause it was games stuff go figure.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11  Edited By Nodima

@wasteland_alpha: Speaking of “never use the wiki”, my ears perked up when Dan sent Grubb to MobyGames for a developer’s other credits during the Demo Derby revival.

Like, yea, that probably is a better “IMDB for video games” at this point but…man, what potential GB had.

Retris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wondered this in the firing thread, seemed kind of inevitable.

It's a big shame. I've been a fan of Smight's for years now and seeing him get the spotlight on Giant Bomb just seemed like a dream come through for every party involved, especially me. I know Rorie said that we'll still get the Giant Pit (the Arcade Bomb?) from time to time, but it's still a bummer.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nodima: What potential THE INTERNET had before social media/Reddit/walled gardens consumed the whole thing.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

AP is great, but I'll admit that I started skipping it when the GB staff wasn't there.

Hopefully if it returns on a less frequent basis, we can have one or two people from the staff on each episode.

Broshmosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for the clarification. Hope to see Arcade Pit on Giant Bomb return someday. I've been watching the VODs weekly on Twitch for a while now anyway, I just don't get to take part in those live.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Just to be clear this is less of an economic decision than a logistical one. We look forward to having AP back on the site but it's unlikely to be weekly.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

It's a bummer, but understandable, I guess. There's always still the Sunday show, which is absolutely worth watching.

@csl316 said:

AP is great, but I'll admit that I started skipping it when the GB staff wasn't there.

okay but consider this:

I was on Arcade Pit

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Retris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316:I'm the complete opposite. I was skipping episodes of the first "season" by the end because it was always the same people. With a bigger pool of players it felt more fresh each week.

I just want more grudge matches in Arcade Pit. I want a Dan (& Partner) vs. Patrick Klepek (& Partner) showdown, Mike Mahardy vs. Mary Kish, Dave Lang vs. Devolver Digital. Big time matches with big time consequences.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@retris: Arcade Pit used to do a blow off match? You might be onto something.