What are your biggest "I'm an idiot" revelations in games?

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

There is a moment in Super Mario RPG where you have to open a door by running into it at the same time as an NPC that is trying to break it down.

Young me was stuck in this room for hours.

Avatar image for lobster_johnson
lobster_johnson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When playing Mass Effect, it took me until about 25-30 hours in to realise the mako had a cannon. Before then I'd been fighting turrets and vehicles with the machine gun and bemoaning the unfair difficulty.

GinjaAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@cogzwell: I had a similar issue with MGR:R where I didn't realize that you adjust the angle of your sword with the right stick during Blade Mode. It wasn't until the fight on the roof against *whoever the fuck* while being shot by a helicopter pretty close to the end of the game. The only way I figured it out was after being stuck on that fight for several hours, a friend of mine was watching me play over Steam broadcast and notice that I was never changing my angle....after that I beat it on my first try and finished the game an hour later.

cyborgx7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In The Legend of Zelda : Oracle of Seasons there is a square from which 3 of the 4 direction lead you into the same square again, a common trope in Zelda games. Well, the two hints to get through it were the order of directions you had to go in and something to the effect of "make sure it gets warmer every time". By this moment in the game you can freely change the season whenever you are on one of those tree stumps so this should not have been a problem.

Sadly, at the time I just couldn't figure out how to make it warmer 4 times, the required number of screen changes. I started with winter, the coldest season and then went spring, summer and fall respectively. Obviously fall isn't warmer than summer and the game never let me past that screen. In fact, because of this I've never seen the end of the game. What I did do was play from the beginning over and over again.

No Caption Provided

Only recently has a friend told me the, in retrospect, obvious solution. You can advance the seasons more than once between screen changes. The correct order is winter, spring, fall, summer. Sadly, by now the battery in the cardridge has drained and I still haven't finished the game I spend so much time on.

ZTF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205  Edited By ZTF

-Figuring out what an SRK motion really was when looking at the notation in in-game move lists.

-It took until my second play through of the original Kingdom Hearts to learn that special moves (Ars Arcanum, Sonic Rave) had multiple hits if you kept pressing the command.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I didn't know you could lock on to enemies in demons souls. Beating the first boss without that knowledge was a pain in the ass.

ShyBry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dukeofthebump:

Too bad indeed.
Too bad indeed.

The trouble with the Sonic 3 platform is that before the "difficult" one, there are one or two easier ones that can be passed with well-timed rhythmic jumps. So there's no reason to learn that this one type of platform is influenced by pressing up and down, and, well, I got stuck there too. Would have been okay if there was a signpost or something with up/down arrows, or a cutscene with Knuckles going up and down without jumping, or maybe a modern-style d-pad overlay the first time you stand on one of those platforms, but games didn't tutorialize like that very much back then...

@asko25 said:
@crithon said:

there's always 2 or 3 puzzle in every single Lego game there I can't figure it out and most of the time it's either 40 minutes to an hour..... actually sometimes I shut them off, wait for another day but I do end up going on youtube for a video solution. But its one of those frustrations where I go "this is a kids game" as I walk around the map trying to figure it out.

LEGO TT games are the absolute worst. I love playing them, but some of those puzzles are crazy confusing.

For sure! I played through one of the Lego games with a friend, and there were so many "this shouldn't be so difficult" moments with head-slap-worthy solutions... Still fun though.

In Link's Awakening I was stuck on the quest to retrieve the golden leaves for Richard for far too long. Was able to get four of the five leaves from the castle without trouble, but couldn't get past the door to the room with the fifth. I tried looking for switches under the nearby jars, without luck. Bombing the door didn't open it, though I didn't expect it to, as it wasn't cracked. There were no enemies to kill that might trigger the door to open, so I backtracked and killed every enemy in the castle (except the one in the room I couldn't get to) but of course that didn't do anything. I tried pressing on walls but didn't find any false ones. Bombing every wall in the castle didn't work either - had a lot of free time back then! I left the castle and talked to every character in the game I had found up to that point, but nobody provided any clues. At some point I returned to Richard's Villa and sat there, staring at the screen, trying to think of other possibilities, then got creeped out when Totaka's Song started to play...

After probably a few more dead-ends I can't remember, I eventually got so angry that I threw one of the jars at the door. Which promptly opened.

On the one hand I should have tried this sooner, as there was nothing available except the door and the jars. On the other, I think this was the first example of opening a door with jars in the Zelda series and I don't recall any hints that it might do anything. Plus it's silly that a door can be opened with smashed pottery but not with explosives... Though I guess it was semi-shortly followed up by OoT's burnable-yet-uncuttable cobwebs (which for whatever reason never bothered me, but they're silly too).

Good times.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#208  Edited By Cirdain
SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#209  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

I just played about 50 hours of Fallout 4 before remembering how to properly hack computer terminals. Specifically, I forgot the part about hidden attempt resets and word eliminators. Was this explained in the game? I'm usually not one to skip tutorials.

For anyone who doesn't know, you look for <> or [] in the code. There can also be text in between, such as [$3G7]. If you can highlight the whole thing, clicking it will remove one incorrect word.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I spent way too long in the second Cloister of Trials in FFX because I didn't spot the sphere abscess on the exit door.

Heycalvero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait, what is the Phoenix Down thing?

I also "got" Ash Ketchum at the same time as Dan.

Avatar image for sunstalker_solaire
Sunstalker_Solaire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heycalvero: The Phoenix Down refers to the Down meaning the feathers of a phoenix and not that the phoenix is down.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just played about 50 hours of Fallout 4 before remembering how to properly hack computer terminals. Specifically, I forgot the part about hidden attempt resets and word eliminators. Was this explained in the game? I'm usually not one to skip tutorials.

For anyone who doesn't know, you look for <> or [] in the code. There can also be text in between, such as [$3G7]. If you can highlight the whole thing, clicking it will remove one incorrect word.

I didn't know this until somebody mentioned it on the podcast. I don't recall a single prompt or line of text that ever explained this feature in any of the Fallout games.

Valhallen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Nobody should ever feel bad for not getting the Miles Per Hour pun or the checkered cylinder of doom. Both were dumb, meanie jerks.

CastroCasper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

100 hours into MGSV I realized you can just go back to the ACC from the menu instead of having to call in, run to, and wait for a helicopter.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@CastroCasper: Discovered a lot of people don't know/forgot to upgrade their helicopter. The best chassis usually has the helicopter get to the LZ before I can get there.

CastroCasper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@kasaioni: Huh, I dont think I knew it upgraded the speed. I think I just assumed it was more armor and ignored it since I rarely used the heli in a combat situation.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@CastroCasper: It has separate upgrades for armour. Chassis mainly has to do with speed.

Dornath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#220 sweep  Moderator

I get this all the time with abbreviations and acronyms. I had been playing videogames for years before I realised that HP stood for "health points". There's lots of stuff like that. Like how "mob" is short for "Monster or beast" and "rat" is short for "pirates".

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

@sweep said:

Like how "mob" is short for "Monster or beast" and "rat" is short for "pirates".

Where did you hear these from?

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#222  Edited By sweep  Moderator

@beachthunder: Uh from other people I guess. "Rats" is a common Eve Online phrase, and the Mob thing is apparently a Backronym, the original abbreviation is actually "mobile" as the phrase was coined to describe enemies that were actually moving about in MUD1 in 1978.

BurBan_Snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not sure if it's the biggest, but the most recent I can think of is Dragon Age: Inquisition(been playing the DLC for the first time recently and it made me remember this). I was using the rings that increase the duration/damage of specific abilities wrong. I just read the description that says "increases ability damage by 30%" or whatever and completely ignored the actual name of the rings. So, I had characters wearing rings for abilities that they hadn't even learned. Not sure how long it took me to realize, but it was probably half of my first play through, at least(maybe longer).

well thanks bud, you just gave me my moment. I finished the game, and was TOTALLY unaware of that the entire duration of the game.

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@metalbaofu said:

Not sure if it's the biggest, but the most recent I can think of is Dragon Age: Inquisition(been playing the DLC for the first time recently and it made me remember this). I was using the rings that increase the duration/damage of specific abilities wrong. I just read the description that says "increases ability damage by 30%" or whatever and completely ignored the actual name of the rings. So, I had characters wearing rings for abilities that they hadn't even learned. Not sure how long it took me to realize, but it was probably half of my first play through, at least(maybe longer).

well thanks bud, you just gave me my moment. I finished the game, and was TOTALLY unaware of that the entire duration of the game.

Heheh. I'm sure we aren't the only ones. I don't think I had any of those rings equipped right for a long time.

Heycalvero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sunstalker_solaire: Oh, I was totally oblivious to that meaning of the word "Down". I'm not a native english speaker, so that's cleared up!

Thanks!

studsmckewl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I spend at least 5 minutes in the first room in Bloodborne mashing the X button to open a door... only to realize I was not holding an XB1 controller.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I also had a really dumb one when I was younger. I bought Pokemon silver, and upon meeting your rival for the first time, he says his name is "????". So a little while later the policeman or whoever asked what his name was, I entered "????". I spent the whole rest of the game waiting for his name to be revealed like some crucial plot detail. On a second playthrough I realized that I was supposed to name him whatever I wanted...

Holy shit! I thought this was just me! I had the exact same thought process. 10 year old me was such an idiot! It's pretty funny that in the newer versions (HeartGold and SoulSilver) they changed the scene slightly so ??? drops his Trainer Card instead of saying "My name is ???" so I guess we weren't the only ones.

TanookiSuit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sku: I never knew that either till I accidentally did that on the remake for the ps4. Really one of those face palm moments.

I think I knew this back when I played FFX on the PS2, but then forgot between then and more recently when I've been replaying it. I have just been re-enlightened....and will continue with FFX

BRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thelastgunslinger: I have a Fallout 4 one. I thought that every level you should get one point to put into your SPECIAL numbers and one for the skill type perks, not one or the other. So I became convinced that it was some kind of bug - I was about to report it to Bethesda when I realized it was working as intended - this was around level 8 and many hours into the game.

schindigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When playing through Guacamelee on the PC before starting the game I immediately went to the steam workshop and seen that there was a custom skin to make you look like The Tick which caught my eye so I picked it up and started my game and beat the whole thing using that suit, feeling quite happy due to the difficulty of certain sections. It wasn't until after i finished the game that I went back to look at other costumes I had unlocked throughout the game just to see what they were that I noticed that the other costumes gave you certain bonuses and perks that would of made the game easier in parts to say the least lol!! I face-palmed and said a couple dirty words and then just laughed cause what else can you do......

But hey least i can say i beat the game without any special perks or powers lol, essentially playing it on hard mode without knowing!!!

SPOOOOOON!!!!!

bluefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When I started bloodborne I didn't realize you got to pick a starting weapon from the messengers and tried fist fighting the werewolf for an hour and a half. I eventually almost killed it before turning to google and then it took like thirty seconds.

I did the exact same thing but did kill it after about 30 minutes. I kept dying but instead of looking around the Church area I went right back down to the fight. From there I kept fighting and killing guys going through the early areas wondering why I wasn't getting a weapon. I eventually died and they had them on display for me had I bothered to look around at all.

More I was being stubborn than "missing" it. I just thought I would share. :)

nomtank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@grumpymoose said:

@sku: I never knew that either till I accidentally did that on the remake for the ps4. Really one of those face palm moments.

I think I knew this back when I played FFX on the PS2, but then forgot between then and more recently when I've been replaying it. I have just been re-enlightened....and will continue with FFX

Wait...are you sure you can heal all in FFX by pressing right? I knew you could do it in other FF games, but I don't feel like X was one of them. If that's the case, I'm a goddamned idiot.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f90eabee6bba
deactivated-5f90eabee6bba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corvak said:

FF7. Path through ruins towards Wall Market.

Theres a pipe you're supposed to walk up but I didnt quite understand that I could do this, and assumed I was walking under it, so I couldnt find a way forward. Spent hours grinding.

THAT PURPLE PIPE. I got my friend to play through FF7 and watched what he did in that area and he got stuck too until I had to eventually tell him. I'm glad he quit before I had to help him catch that swinging pole on the way up to the Shinra building.

TanookiSuit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nomtank said:
@tanookisuit said:
@grumpymoose said:

Wait...are you sure you can heal all in FFX by pressing right? I knew you could do it in other FF games, but I don't feel like X was one of them. If that's the case, I'm a goddamned idiot.

I stand corrected and went and looked it up. From some final fantasy wiki:

Final Fantasy X

The only spells that may be group cast are the "Nul" spells like NulBlaze, as well as Ultima, Demi, Hastega, and Slowga, and specific Ronso Rages. All other spells only affect single targets.

Final Fantasy X-2

Most spells from the Black Mage and White Magedresspheres can be group-cast on either the enemy or player party, at the cost of reduced potency. Some spells, such as Shell and Protect, are unable to be cast on a single character

Well that's a let down. At least they fixed the RNG and audio issues that plagued the PS4 version.

~DRESSPHERES~

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gorkamorkaorka: Well it gives me satisfaction knowing at least I wasn't the only one. Had no problems after, save being underleveled in the Temple of the Ancients xD

Kalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236  Edited By Kalli

On the startup menu for Final Fantasy there was a box at the bottom that said something like Refresh rate or something with a 1 next to it.

Played the game for ages before finally realizing you could hit left or right on the d-pad to increase the number. That number changed the battle speed and without increasing it, the text scroll / animations were ponderously slow.

That said, that probably instilled in me the patience to play through Daggerfall on a 486 with a 1x cd rom drive on the minimum install. Oh the heady days of starting a map load then doing 5 minutes of homework before it finished loading.

Avatar image for lobster_johnson
lobster_johnson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought of another one:

During my entire 1st playthrough of Skyrim, I completely failed to notice that the sequence to open the doors accessed by the dragon claws was carved into the bottom of the claw itself. I would look around the room for clues (halfheartedly after the first few doors), figure I must be missing something and then eventually find the combination through trial and error.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

During today's stream, I think it was Jeff that talked about the MYSTERIES of Myst, and I never got that until right that moment. Having never played it, I just had kinda assumed that the island was misty and they were spelling it weird for copyright reasons.

Haruko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Played almost 150 hours of Elder Scrolls 4 Oblivion before realizing there was fast travel.

prewaroregon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cale: Nice one. Don't worry. You probably also have a slick hair style now too, am I right?

Nothing to memorable for me, but just today after 100+ hours, I realized you can quickly bring up the scoreboard in Battlefield 4 by holding the menu button on Xbox.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was playing Link's Awakening on the GBC and got stuck on a particular puzzle. I was so dumbstruck by the puzzle that I thought that maybe if I go ahead and beat the next dungeon, (got the item from the dungeon I was stuck on dungeon), that maybe I could get an item that would beat that dungeon. The puzzle I was stuck on asked me to beat a Pols Voice and the Stalfos in order. I had no idea what that meant. I thought it was a hidden door or that I missed something in the dungeon. Even after going to the next dungeon and trying to use a key from it I still couldn't get passed it. One day I turn the game on again and go to that same spot in that dungeon and just kill the enemies like I usually do except I killed them in a particular order and the key appears. My 5th grade self felt like a moron.

alyt9870

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never realized you could run in Mario up until a few years ago. I always tried picking up Super Mario World and trying to get into it but coming away from it feeling disappointed. I'm an idiot.

In my defense, I totally think that the run button in a Mario game would be better suited for one of the triggers instead of having to use your thumb awkwardly to hold both buttons down.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The Witness .... played by the witless.

Avatar image for illuminatijones
IlluminatiJones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A little off topic but as a kid I could never beat the first stage in Bomb Jack. I vagualy remember just running and jumping and not understanding what my goal was or how to do anything. I refuse to go back and play it again because I know I'll find out it was super easy and validate that I am indeed, an idiot.

Error52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@illuminatijones: If it's just Bomb Jack then yes, but Mighty Bomb Jack...not so much, if I remember right.

FlipperDesert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246  Edited By FlipperDesert

I did not know what a memory card was until Ridge Racer prompted me for one, despite owning a Playstation for years at that point. I just simply thought you did the same three courses on Destruction Derby over and over again like in an arcade.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Witness .... played by the witless.

This. I'm like a animal trying to get a treat out of a encased glass case.

Avatar image for illuminatijones
IlluminatiJones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@error52: Bomb Jack was the arcade version so you're right, it would have been Mighty Bomb Jack. I just remember it being super confusing to my wee baby brain.

supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't know you had to strum in Guitar Hero to hit the notes.

Error52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250  Edited By Error52

@supermonkey122: close the thread we're done here

Edit: Also, just remembered that I couldn't play Cave Story for a while because I couldn't figure out how to open doors.