What speaking habits have you picked up from the GB crew?

• 141 results
fezz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Hot garbage, ostensibly, and ___-ass

Avatar image for deactivated-5e83e1ada625d
deactivated-5e83e1ada625d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

intentionally pronouncing words in unusual ways, pissing off whatever pedants may be within earshot.

thanks, Ryan.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nothing, and I am glad. Not necessarily because I dislike the way they talk, but to me, I guess I like being me... What's interesting is that if you watch or perhaps listen to videos of staff from sites talk, a lot of them have the same mannerisms, or talk similarly, as if they have gotten so used to one another they just do that. It's a human thing. I mostly noticed it with IGN; a lot of them moved in ways Greg Miller did. It's weird.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Probably most of the things already posted and then some. I've recently started catching myself putting "I mean" in front of sentences that aren't clarifying a previous statement, which Jeff does a lot. "Oh! That's handy!" is another recent one, direct from Dan.

It's crazy to think about how much I've unintentionally picked up from endless hours of GB content. If it weren't for even more years of Pennsylvanianisms beaten into my brain, I'd probably sound like I'm right out of the west coast.

... I also say "Emails!" to myself when checking my email, but that doesn't count.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Yeah like most of you I picked up "hot garbage." I also use dumb as a compliment. I throw dark on occasion. I use basically every phrase Ryan says in this video because its all hilarious, especially "fuckin get outta my face with that."

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

"Rad!" is probably my favorite thing I've picked up from Jeff, though I don't say it as often as I'd like to.

But really, after having listened to them for so many years, for som many hours while growing up they've helped shape pretty much my entire sense of humor. I can no longer tell what life was like before knowing them.

dobedobedo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

describing things as "janky" and "so fucking broken"

"batmin"

"blank-ass blank"

Also the other day, a friend of mine was talking about "unlimited appetizers" for some restaurant and I couldn't help but say "UN! LIMITED! APPETIZERS!"

diz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

Being British, old and not speaking much, I don't think I have picked up any speech habits from the staff here. I notice that they pick up vocal in-words from each other though; for example:

"Listen...."

"...in a lot of cases..."

"...dope"

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Janky"

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Using the word "garbage" to describe bad things!

Shortbreadtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By Shortbreadtom

Garbage and super [blank], mostly. I also use ostensibly more than I used to, but I'm an English student so hey

EDIT: holy shit, I didn't even know I got the whole "that's the name of my new [blank] band" from Alex, but I totally did. That's been my running joke among my friends for years. I've been living a lie!

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#112  Edited By sjschmidt93

_____ ass ______

"janky"

"real dumb"

I'm sure there's more that I can't think of right now.

shozo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been using garbage often, both hot and temperate. Also, ive been activity trying to stop my use of the word "intresting". Let's unpack it as it makes for more articulate and deeper conversations

Ma77why

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ever since Austin joined I find myself saying "Nah, Son" ... like a lot more than i ever did.

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Jankey and saying that game is a blank ass blank like a shooter ass shooter

1337W422102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

A few examples of stuff that has slipped into regular-ass conversation among my Bomber Duder friends:

• The concept of "riding the roller-coaster" and spending "roller coaster dollars." Usually not about actual roller coasters unless my friends and I are planning a trip to an amusement park or riding a fairground ride as a GTA Online daily mission.
  • Jank, janky.
  • Hot garbage.
  • "that [x], son."
  • Referring to Tom Clancy (and his works) as "Clance" (the Clance, a pile of Clance, etc.)
  • [noun]-ass [noun] to describe the aforementioned noun being particularly like the noun of old
  • Using "You can see their panties" as bulletproof reasoning.
  • Huh.
YummyTreeSap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't even know how often it's truly been said here, but saying that something sucks shit is definitely a habit I've picked up from this place.

redking56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By redking56

"Yea I dunno"

Credit Jeffery Gerstmann, 201X
zandravandra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I find myself using "heck of expensive" (to describe costly things like developing online multiplayer for a game engine) and other "heck of ___" variants.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By afabs515

I now say "hot garbage" all the time, and about 25% of my sense of humor has become the mock seriousness Jeff invokes all the time when he's describing bugs as features and whatnot. Also I'll occasionally tell people I'm "willing to do this dark deed with you" after the destiny discussions on last year's goty podcast

jeffrud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

FINALLY.

Also have managed to not only pick up on "hot garbage" and "yang", but also spread them among my non-GB peers.

DarkChronic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Glad to see others using "dumb" as a compliment for things. For some reasons my friends get a kick out of it when I use it so I've been saying it all the time lately.

elko84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

CAKE FACTORY

Unholymike123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Aaaaaa-mazing" is a weird one that I've picked up since I already say "aMAAAYzing" from someone else.

dantey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I picked up the simple, good old word: duder.

triumvir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Dumb" as a positive descriptor, "hot garbage", and "on fire"

stephenb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Being a U.K citizen I've introduced people to Rad, flaming garbage and dumpster fire. These are not commonly used words/phrases across here so I often get funny looks.

Skyrider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Hot garbage" and "ostensibly", the latter because it really is a useful word, and the former because . . . I dunno. I do also pronounce "executable" the same way Will Smith does.

Avatar image for mechamarshmallow
MechaMarshmallow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

'Hot garbage' of course. I do say 'Super ___' and '___ ass ___', but I honestly might have said things like that before listening to GB, too.

Most recently, however, I have picked up Austin's 'OH. GOOD. THAT'S GOOD.' when something terrible happens.

GearSol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By GearSol

Probably "Oh lordy" because of Rorie (...and the lady from The Wavy Tube Man Chronicles) and the whole "Are you a cop?" thing.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

Cant really say for sure. Yes I know it's actually spelled can't but then the illusion wouldn't work and I'm not that clever. So it is what it is.

HexyVexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think I may have spouted the phrase "You see, Fame Douglas, right..." last time I was on a night out. But yeah, "Hot Garbage" and "Duder" were definitely in there for a while.

mathey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Oh, you know, X!", where X is something I definitely don't know or understand.

Ex. "Oh, you know, Gaelic Football."

Janky, garbage, and hella have also crept into my lexicon, and I suspect Mr. Walker's declarative "Huh" will get a lot of us in the future.

Enuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The "Huh" got me and I use it frequently :/

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#135  Edited By Undeadpool

"Garbage person" and "Am I on DUST, or...?"-style questions.

Also "You are history's greatest monster," which I actually think itself is a Simpsons reference.

Edit: Also fun to go through this thread and see how much of this is just NorCal slang!

Pushtoclose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah Austin's "huh" has infected me, that's my number one response when people talk to me.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Sometimes I replaced money with bank and lots of with mad which confuses people here in the UK to no end

Nulix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By Nulix

I'm from Toronto and I feel like a good amount of stuff the Bombmen say has been in rotation for me already. The only thing I definitely picked up after following Giant Bomb was the way Jeff kind of guides a stupid idea. He'll go like "Okay, alright" really intently when someone is explaining something dumb idk if anyone knows what I'm talking about but seeing as a lot of my friends describe really bad ideas for comedy that worked itself right in for me.

teekomeeko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

As others have mentioned, "hot garbage" is with me til the day I expire. Also, Ryan's "nightmare factory" is a sparingly used favorite - I like it too much to use often, I want it to have oomph. Somehow I think "sadness factory" will be used by me sooner or later, too.

arbayer2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 3

#140  Edited By arbayer2

"Duder", "Sure", "straight _", "the thing about _ is that...", "Dumb", "Broken" and briskly nodding your head while saying "Yup" over and over again when a game goes off the rails

Runner-up: hot garbage (I've never actually used this, but there's something hilariously uncomfortable about it being used as a description).

Of course, living near Seattle (the northwestern equivalent to San Francisco in some ways) there's definitely a similar culture of urban speech mannerisms around here.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#141  Edited By beforet

"Hella", adjective-ass, jank and janky. Hot garbage sometimes. Sah-word.

Error52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hot Garbage

Best X player of all time

Gross

The Worst (not that this is new but i've been saying it a lot more lately)

Probably alright