What's the greatest gem you've bought from watching Quick Looks?

• 101 results
UpperDecker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey Bombers,

I've been thinking about this for a while. I've been watching Quick Looks for almost 4 years and enjoying the content.

What I love about the site the most is finding those strange/weird/off the wall games we would never know about unless we watched a Giant Bomb Quick Look.

So, what's your game? Which game did you buy based on a GB Quick Look that you ended up falling love with?

Well if you're my Steam Friend, you'd think it's GTAV, but my Giant Bomb Gem (or GBG) is Banished. I've raved about it multiple times, but I bought this game and put well over 180 hours into it. I love city builders and I found this game thanks to the site!

So, what's your guilty pleasure you've found based on this site?

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I don't know if I'd call it a guilty pleasure, more of an completely upfront and proud pleasure, but I am only a Persona fan because of this site. Had never heard of it before then. That wasn't really a quicklook, though, so if we're talking strictly quicklooks then the Stardew Valley quicklook is responsible for my most recent addiction. I don't think I would've given that game much thought or attention if I hadn't seen Dan's video of it.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

This doesn't really count, since I haven't played the game, but I bought Contradiction: Spot The Liar! after their Quick Look and the series that followed. I also downloaded and played Velvet Sundown, but I never went premium on it.

UpperDecker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@clagnaught: i bought velvet sundown premium for a month, but that game is so full of dickbags, i cancelled. it. That's the most rude community of gamers i've ever met. lol

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@upperdecker: Yeah, it's kinda terrible, no? Almost makes you wish a memo went out that said, "Dear Giant Bomb Fans. Trust us on this. Go play Velvet Sundown. Quickly before the jig is up."

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By kasaioni

I think probably Besiege, although that was an unfinished, not a Quick Look. I haven't played it recently, but it's still a great video game that the video introduced me to.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

Velvet Sundown for sure. Honestly the most rude players were the early quitters, some trolls would play along with whatever bullshit I could come up with. When it works, it's really magical. It's too bad that the developers doesn't seem to know what to do with it.

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By LackingSaint

XCOM: Enemy Unknown. I had literally never played that kind of TBS beforehand, but between that and Fire Emblem: Awakening it's now easily one of my favourite genres. So glad the team gave GOTY to that game so I knew for sure it was worth checking out - even if it looked like nothing I'd played before.

(In the end I got like 400 hours out of XCOM. Don't worry, I'm not crazy - half of that was the Long War mod, which is basically a new game!)

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably Yakuza 3, been a huge fan of that series ever since.

Avatar image for ralphmoustaccio
RalphMoustaccio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By RalphMoustaccio

Banished is great, and I, too, initially learned about it through a Quick Look. Recently, though, it was Stardew Valley. I had no real interest in that game prior to seeing the Quick Look, but it (and Dan's genuine enthusiasm during it) sold me on the game totally. And it's great!

All time, though, belongs to Deadly Premonition. While technically an Endurance Run and not a Quick Look, playing through that game was every bit as gleefully dumb and amazing as it was watching it in full twice.

n00bs7ay3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Factorio was a fantastic game that I purchased specifically because of the Quick Look.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 2

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i think Besiege is one of the only times i've stopped a quick look halfway and bought the damn thing.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Ziggurat was pretty dope.

Avatar image for deactivated-66361f5b4a584
deactivated-66361f5b4a584

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Didn't buy it but I put a ton of time into Warframe.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

The most recent example of a quick look immediately selling me on a game was the quick look of the new Doom.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#17  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

Grow Home and Stardew Valley immediately spring to mind. I would've either never played them or found them at a much later time if it weren't for the Quick looks.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Ride to Hell: Retribution. (Borrowed it, but I wouldnt have played it if not for the QL) I also got P3:FES during the endurance run for P4, if that counts.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By Justin258

I had barely heard of Shovel Knight and then I saw the Quick Look and I loved everything about it, so I bought it.

That game may well be the newest addition to my "favorite games of all time" list. I think it's nearly perfect in pretty much every way.

Also, Shin Megami Tensei games, which I got into because of the P4 Quick Look but I didn't actually play P4 until a year or two later, at the tail end of a long obsession with Atlus's library of games.

hunterob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#20  Edited By hunterob

Dan definitely sold me on Stardew Valley in that Quick Look. Otherwise I would have been like "pfft, the world really needs another Harvest Moon clone?" There are definitely others that aren't springing to mind. I've definitely given games more of a chance than I would have otherwise after watching Quick Looks that are free on Xbox G4G or PS+ like Furi, Lords of the Fallen.

lead_dispencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hmm i would say dont starve. got that after patrick played in some years ago and sunk like 80 hours into that thing. but giant bomb is behind many of my purchases over the years.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

probably Banjo-Kazooie Nuts and Bolts. I also would not have been interested in Trackmania or Torchlight without the site's coverage.

hans_maulwurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By hans_maulwurf

My taste in games is very different from the staff, so the Yakuza 4 QL - despite their commentary - was probably the beginning of my interest in the series.

That and Euro Truck Sim/ATS. Great qls and surprisingly good games that I would've never tried without the qls, seeing how "simulators" nowadays are pretty much the the kind of shovelware licensed games used to be.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

Probably Contradiction. I doubt I'd have encountered that game otherwise, and it ended up making my top ten last year and then also I recently streamed it for a bunch of friends to introduce them to it and they all universally fell in love with it as well.

Rigas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Contradiction, Saints Row 3 and Sleepy Dogs

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I gave Ollie Ollie 2 a try after hearing Jeff praise it so much. I really really liked that game. I should go back and play it some more.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

Doom is way better than I expected it would be. I went from that Quick Look to the Steam page.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#28  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

I believe I had played a little bit of Trackmania Nations Forever United (whichever order all those words are in) previously, having heard it compared to my all time favorite game Stunts, but never saw many of the more interesting community maps in there. Jeff's many Trackmania 2 videos got me to buy all the Trackmania games (even Shootmania) and I really love that series now.

It's been a while now, but I think the videos of Evochron Mercenary (a QL and a hilarious TNT) prompted me to buy it, as well as all the other games from that developer (which sadly haven't gotten quick looked). Drew's UPF segment with E.T. Armies also made me buy that.

Of course I also bought Contradiction, Deadly Premonitions and a goddamn Wii U with Super Mario Maker after they were prominently featured on the site.

Oh, and I bought Ravaged after the watch a pro moment, and kinda learned to pilot the helicopter in there!

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

Super Meat Boy, Stardew Valley, Shovel Knight

All S'

stordoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 4

#30  Edited By stordoff

Contradiction is the main one from QLs (came out of the QL thinking this needs to exist, so bought it despite no intentions to play anytime soon). The Hitman QL sold me on that game as well, though I'd likely've picked it up anyway.

The P4 Endurance Run also started a fascination with Persona series. Don't really want to think about the time (1000+ hours) and money (probably £1000) I've put into that series too much... :p

Sysyphus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Big ones from the QLs are definitely Contradiction and Asuras Wrath.

While not QLs, I bought Deadly Premonition and Persona 4 after viewing their ERs.

Also bought a copy of Bushido Blade, after its appearance on a UPF.

There's definitely more but that's all I can think of for now

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 sweep  Moderator

Ryan's love for Kentucky Route Zero made me discover my favourite game in the world.

Avatar image for deactivated-5879a8792e775
deactivated-5879a8792e775

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Devil Daggers.

eladren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably Mount and blade Warband, oh how i miss Dave Snider... I really love that game and have played nearly 300 hours between warband and fire and sword.

UpperDecker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sweep: I still have yet to play Kentucky Route Zero. What's it like? (obviously if it's your favorite game in the world, i know it's awesome, lol)

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hotline Miami. That quick look is one of my favorites. Ryan's reaction to the game was great, from his whoops of delight as Patrick murdered fools in a bloody mess, to his appreciation of those phat beats.

Themurray15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stellaris, have been a big fan of space games and strategy games , but never played any of the paradox ones. Oh and Cook, Serve, Delicious! love be some button smashing.

jadegl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Hotline Miami. That quick look is one of my favorites. Ryan's reaction to the game was great, from his whoops of delight as Patrick murdered fools in a bloody mess, to his appreciation of those phat beats.

This was my pick. Hotline Miami is a game that, on paper, is the antithesis of what I normally like in games. But watching that quick look made me want to try it, and now it's on of my favorite games of all time.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not a Quicklook really but I never payed any attention to Hitman, nor played the older games. But after seeing the Brad and Dan content I snapped that game up during the first "Double Agents"

That game is freaking amazing.

jimipeppr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If we're talking gems, I'd say Papo & Yo, because I probably never would have heard of it had I not seen the ql.

Also, after watching a few episodes of the P4 endurance run I decided I wanted to get in on that action so I played P3:FES and (bought a Vita and) played P4 Golden. Then I watched the endurance run and bought the 3 spinoff games when those came out... I don't even like fighting games.

UpperDecker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@takayamasama: Ditto. My brother bought me Hitman and I play it non stop with friends and family. Last weekend my family came to town and I sat my dad down and said, "I'm going to play this game, but I want you to tell me what to do." The first time we poisoned some guy's drink, he went and threw up, and we drowned him in the toilet my dad said, "This is the greatest game ever made."

Seriously, if you think the Hitman series is funny on GiantBomb, go get an elderly person and have them bark out at you what to do. It is the funniest shit you'll ever do.

Broddity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't have touched Life Is Strange without the GBEasters' videos.

Not sure if that counts as a Quick Look, but it definitely counts as doing the thing OP is asking about.

GrizzledWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ultimate Chicken Horse, hands down.

Philedius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cook, Serve, Delicious! I'm not sure I even finished the quick look before buying it.

sku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That Fantasia Kinect game.

For real. It's pretty fun!

UpperDecker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@grizzledwolf: Ultimate chicken horse is possibly one of my favorites. i got a key for it before it came out and i was going to post something about how fun it was then i saw, "Ultimate Chicken Horse" quick look coming up. and i was filled with joy.

@broddity: Ditto on Life is Strange. What's awesome is i watched them play, bought the game, and got a completely different ending! So no spoilers!

MOAB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rigas said:

Contradiction, Saints Row 3 and Sleepy Dogs

I had never heard of Sleepy Dogs until I watched Vinny hit people with car doors. Good times.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, the original Endurance Run got me to try out Persona 4, which has since turned me into a giant SMT fan, so there's that. Same goes with Dave's Crusader Kings II QL and Paradox games. And, lastly, if it wasn't for Brad gushing about Nuts and Bolts, I don't think I ever would have bought it.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Splice, Gunpoint, Hotline Miami, and Samurai Gunn. Other notables include Magicka, Machinarium, and Gemini Rue. They also got me into bigger stuff like Civ V and Diablo 3, but none those weren't as revelatory for me as the first four.

UpperDecker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By UpperDecker

oh crap! I forgot about Hidden in Plain Sight! That game is probably one of my favorite couch co-ops!