What's the greatest gem you've bought from watching Quick Looks?

• 101 results
dourin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By dourin

Haven't spent money yet, but I might have put somewhere in the ballpark of 30 hours into AdVenture Captalist...

BSw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought quite a few cool games based on QL's, including Hotline Miami, Super Meat Boy and Dead Island, but nothing stuck more than Dark Souls. I had never heard of the series, nor was I the type for very punishing games, but am I glad I watched Vinny run away from those knights.

stinger061

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

A combination of Quick Looks, TNT's and Jeff's random streams sent me into the dark abyss that is Tackmania. Never been one for time trial modes in racing games but this series is something special.

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

Contradiction is probably the only example I can think of.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#55  Edited By AlexW00d

Not to sound like a hipster but nothing. It's always been games I already know or games I don't think I'd enjoy.

The closest I can think of is half discovering Men of War thanks to former top man Mike Horn.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Many of my games have been because of a QL. Not the AAA ones mostly, but the smaller divergent games.

sikdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By sikdude

Recently? I did rather enjoy Stardew Valley.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Binary domain and cook, serve, delicuous

Never would have given these two the time of day until the ql

Obeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Obeast

nthing Stardew Valley. Hearing Dan talk about it on the Bombcast got me kinda interested, but the QL and the segment on UPF (I don't remember which one, but it was in the first few months of the year) where he went into the mines pretty much sold me on it. I've put a little over 60 hours into it, and it's my current go-to game for an hour or two when I get home from work.

Edit: The UPF segment was from March 11th, about 30 minutes in according to QL Crew.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For Quick Looks, probably Besiege.

The real winner is the Bombcast getting me to buy Civilization V. Thanks, guys.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#61 sweep  Moderator

@sweep: I still have yet to play Kentucky Route Zero. What's it like? (obviously if it's your favorite game in the world, i know it's awesome, lol)

It's very unique. Lots of references to old novels and plays, quite clearly influenced by oldschool american literature like The Grapes Of Wrath, kinda throwing parallels between the current economic climate and the great depression I guess. There's also a great use of camera framing to create really interesting and unique scenes, and the writing and characters are really great in a "magical realism" kind of way. It's not dark, it's just... surreal.

A friend of mine once described it as the closest to a dreamlike state that she'd ever been in while playing a videogame.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#62  Edited By Onemanarmyy

Persona 4, Deadly Premonition, Trackmania, Undertale and Velvet Sundown.

habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By habster3

Jazzpunk. It was a short, shallow and aggressively dumb experience, but for what it was I greatly enjoyed it. I've been meaning to get Persona 4 and Deadly Premonition because of the site too. Also, although I never actually bought it (for obvious reasons), Story Hour Adventures is still easily my favorite Quick Look of all time.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Oh my god, how could I forget probably the biggest one: Demon's Souls.

Krockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I would have never played Dark Souls if not for Giantbomb. It is now my favorite gaming Franchise. Dark Souls dethroned Super Mario World and The Legend of Zelda: A link to the past for my favorite game of all time.

Bam_Boozilled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The most recent one for me is Rimworld, which I am handily addicted to right now. It was an unfinished, but I would count that. There are probably quite a few others. Jazzpunk is one. I think the Sims 3 might be another, crazily enough.

Avatar image for rocketblast0063
rocketblast0063

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not technically a Quick Look game, but Deadly Premonition is probably the best game I got, influenced by GB.

sravankb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By sravankb

None. My tastes in gaming have pretty much never matched with the crew's.

At this point, a quick look is purely for entertainment purposes to me.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#69  Edited By dagas

The only game I can think of that I bought simply because of a QL is Crash Time and that game is crap.

I mostly use QL to find out what not to buy or check a game I plan to buy if it really is good.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rogue Galaxy is about the only one I can think of.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By hermes

Quite a few. I like QL of indie games because it helps me find interesting things in the sea of modern gaming options... most of my Steam wishlist are games that I discovered thanks to QL. For example, I have never even heard about Jazzpunk before the Quick Look.

Also, Asura's Wrath. I loved that game, and I loved the Quick Look... It was invigorating having Brad start the QL hating the game, but by the end he was exhilaretingly enjoying it by the end. It was what convinced me of checking it out.

dourin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turambar: Rogue Legacy? Rebel Galaxy? Or did they do something with Rogue Galaxy after its PS2-on-PS4 release or something?

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

I never play racing games, but something about Forza Horizon got me into that series when I watched the QL.

Sdoots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

TrackMania² Canyon and ShootMania Storm. Some of the most fun I've had in a game was on the Giant Bomb Trackmania 2 servers.

Shootmania died within a week or so but it was pretty rad too.

Philedius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here's a list of most games I've bought while watching or immediately after watching a QL of them:

• Altitude
  • Audiosurf
  • Catacomb Kids
  • Banished
  • Besiege
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cook, Serve, Delicious
  • Dustforce
  • Enter The Gungeon
  • FTL: Faster Than Light
  • Greed Corp
  • Iron Fisticle
  • Jazzpunk
  • Papers, Please
  • Super Puzzle Platformer Deluxe
  • Wizorb

I enjoyed all of those games. My 3 favorite of those are probably Banished, Cook, Serve, Delicious, and Iron Fisticle. I really liked all three and they are all games I probably wouldn't have discovered on my own.

brandondryrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cook, Serve, Delicious. That is one of my favorite quick looks of all time, and I put a lot of hours into that game. Plus the story of the game selling really well due to the quick look is a great indie developer story. I can't wait for the sequel.

betaband

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never played an anime-like game before. Saw the QL of Valkyria Chronicles with Dave and Brad. I bought it, played it, and loved it. Still in my Top 5 of all time favourite games.

Clubbins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Probably Sleeping Dogs? I seriously doubt I'd have ever bought that if not for Vinny.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Turambar

@dourin: Rebel Galaxy. That'd be the one.

superjoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

• State of Decay - Brad & Vinny stumble through the zombie apocalypse showing off the janky yet dynamic gameplay systems.
  • Def Jam Rapstar - Jeff & Engineer Ted from Whiskey Media made rapping look easy. I bought this game at retail price.
  • Gemini Rue - Ryan & Vinny. Didn't know people were still making 90s adventure games before watching this QL.
DrZing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most recently it's Obduction. This game came out of nowhere, and even if I had noticed it, I probably would have passed since I didn't like Myst as a kid. But Obduction totally hooked me for a good 20 hours, and is one of the best sci-fi games I've ever played. The quick look barely scratches the surface too, it gets so much better. If you've made it to the second world, you know what I mean.

thatbendorf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Contradiction and Stardew Valley for me. Haven't played either title yet, but I had to support the devs on a job very well done!

outlawtorn13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kerbal space program and I sunk a lot of hours into that, started to finish up with it and then they did the kerbal series and started meet of again. I'm also gonna pick up the bunker in the next few days.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8907c9ada33
deactivated-5f8907c9ada33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Streamworld Dig and most recently, Picross 3D: Round 2.

Both of those games are super good, and Picross 3D: Round 2 is something I would've never touched until the QL.

effache

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By effache

Overcooked, Contradiction!, Trackmania, Gemini Rue,

probably lots and lots of games so I will just stop there

rcath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hotline Miami, Westerado, Spelunky, FTL. This War of Mine, Gunpoint, Gone Home, Darkest Dungeon.....

Wandrecanada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jazzpunk hands down the best game I only bought because I saw the QL.

EthanielRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Puyo Puyo Tetris

DarkeyeHails

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sunless Sea was something that I got from a Quick Look and loved it but keep meaning to go back and never do. Heck. Mark of the Ninja was another that I picked up after seeing it on a QL and what a game.

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#91  Edited By mylifeforAiur

I can only think of four games that i bought after watching the QL: Shattered Memories, Stasis, MGSV, and Stardew Valley. All really good games.

wlleiotl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rogue Legacy, God's Will Be Watching, Papers, Please, Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes, Overcooked - games I had no idea about, saw QLs of and instantly wanted

FarCry 3, Saints Row 3 - played previous versions and would have never bothered with them before the QL.

achoyq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By achoyq

Two games come to mind, Super House of Dead Ninjas (super underrated game IMO) and Heroes of the Storm which I don't really count as "bought" as it's a free game. Both games I think are pretty good and deserve more love.

tehbull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cook, Serve, Delicious! Loved that ql so much and still playing it waiting for CSD2.

monotreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rebel galaxy, Contradiction: Spot the liar, Kerbal Space Program and Papers Please are ones I've purchased.

Rich666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Recently, Salt & Sanctuary and Darkest Dungeon. Both amazing indie titles I probably would never heard of otherwise.

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Probably Valkyria Chronicles.

Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

They Bleed Pixels is the only one I can think of right now. Hadn't heard of it before the Quick Look. Saw the QL, bought the game and liked it a lot.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's probably been quite a few games I've gotten after watching GB play them, or hearing them talk about them, in some form and I doubt I could name them all, but there are some that come to mind.

Jeff sold me on Trackmania 2 from all his various streams with that thing while Dan sold me on Stardew Valley almost immediately, and both of those turned out to be pretty damn good.

Pretty much every Endurance Run game has had me get it - Persona 4 (I went with Golden), Deadly Premonition (never got that far into it myself but still love it), and Brono Chrono Trigger (Vita load were annoying but I dealt with it). Shenmue might be the first I don't simply because of availability, even though I'd totally play that.

Vinny's Load Our Last Souls also got me to finally try (and subsequently beat like 3 times) Dark Souls.

Rebel Galaxy is also rad and full of style. I'm also pretty sure that I got Jazzpunk immediately after the QL and beat it in that session. That game was dumb and great.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gang Beasts.