What's worse: Games based off of movies or movies based off of a game?

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By mordukai

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By mordukai

Had this discussion with a friend of mine. It was quite a heated debate but at the end we agreed that A. is the most logical of the two since, and I am assuming here, that there way more games based off of movies then the other way around.

Zurgfrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Zurgfrog

What about games based on movies based on games ??

I'm looking at you Street fighter the movie the game

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mordukai

@Zurgfrog said:

There was SF the movie the game? You mean the shitty ass Van Dam movie?

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By ShadowConqueror

I think movies based on games are of lower quality on average than games based on movies.

GolazoDan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By GolazoDan

Movies based on games are worse. At least there's been so many half-arsed games based on movies that there's absolutely no expectations, plus you get the occasional fun game like the Wolverine one (which was better than the movie, even if that's saying very little). You don't get many movies that are blatantly trying to cash in on video games.

king2bob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By king2bob

Games based off movies. Simply because they are always very poor. I do understand that when a developer picks up a movie license then they are locked in to contracts that force them to make the game in a short space of time so that it comes out for the cinema release. They also have no artistic license with the content that they have to put in the games they make so they are rarely compelling.

At least some of the Resident evil films are ok I guess. Well actually no they are just as bad really. But I'd be surprised if game companies would put as much of a restriction on the movies. Anybody know anything about that?

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By WinterSnowblind

There's been at least a couple of good movie games.

I can't think of any game movies that were above okay and even they're debatable.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By ProfessorEss

I can think of a couple games based on movies that were fairly decent so I'd say movies based on games are worse because I really can't think of any that weren't complete trash.

mattbosten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mattbosten

Games based off movies; many down to the sheer quantity of them and that they are usually of a low quality. I personally find a bad movie far more enjoyable than a bad game; the old SF and MK movies are hilariously bad. There are however exceptions; I liked Hitman (Movie) and X-Men Origins: Wolverine (Game) for example.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By RE_Player1

I've played a bunch of games based on movies that were either average or really good, Goldeneye being the stand out example of a game that was based off a movie that somewhat revolutionized the industry. On the other hand I can only think of maybe two movies based off games that are just ok, like Mortal Kombat, but if someone said they were trash I wouldn't argue.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By recroulette

Picking movies because of Uwe Boll.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#14  Edited By MooseyMcMan

There definitely are a decent number of games based on movies that are all right, but there are only two or three movies based on games that are watchable.

moncole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By moncole

Movies based off of games. I will never understand why people want them

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

It has to be movies based on games. At least with games based on movies, there are things like Goldeneye, Chronicles of Riddick, a bunch of good Star Wars and Lord of the Rings Games, and don't forget The Lion King and Aladdin on the genesis. I loved those games when I was a kid.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By mordukai

@king2bob said:

Games based off movies. Simply because they are always very poor. I do understand that when a developer picks up a movie license then they are locked in to contracts that force them to make the game in a short space of time so that it comes out for the cinema release. They also have no artistic license with the content that they have to put in the games they make so they are rarely compelling.

At least some of the Resident evil films are ok I guess. Well actually no they are just as bad really. But I'd be surprised if game companies would put as much of a restriction on the movies. Anybody know anything about that?

I rather enjoyed the first RE movie but the rest are complete shit.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#18  Edited By Hizang

I was reccently listing to the Bombcast episode where a user asked this question. I stand by what they said, there is NO good video game movie where there are some good and even great movie games (Spider-Man 2, The Punisher, Goldeneye)

dazzhardy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By dazzhardy

A lot of games based on movie's tend to be pretty average, very few are outright bad, but there are a handful of them which turn out to be rather good.

Movie's based on games ?

Street Fighter The Legend of Chun-Li */Argument*

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Dany

Sometimes movie based games are decent but not because they are from games, they tend to change enough where non game players can watch it

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#21  Edited By Sooperspy

Games based on movies. At least with a horrible movie based on a game, you can laugh at it and have a somewhat enjoyable time. With a horrible game based on a movie, though, it just sucks.

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By time allen

two different mediums. too hard to compare.

Antikythera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Antikythera

Games based on Movies.. They are almost always crap.

Movies based off games may not be Oscar material but are often Campy and at least fun.

senorfuzzeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By senorfuzzeh

@Zurgfrog said:

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25  Edited By MysteriousBob

There's a handful of great movie-based games. Rockstar's The Warriors for example.

There is to date only one great movie based on a video game- Mortal Kombat.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#26  Edited By Sackmanjones
@Mordukai said:

@king2bob said:

I rather enjoyed the first RE movie but the rest are complete shit.

The first MK is still fucking awesome
Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27  Edited By Animasta

the only really decent movie based on a game is mortal kombat, so movies based on games

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By kindgineer

I mean't "Movies based off of games." I don't think there has been one decent one as of yet, has there?

EDIT: Here's to hoping that Blizzard changes that with the World of Warcraft movie if it ever gets started.

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By cstrang

Movies based off of games almost always suck. There are far more acceptable games based on movies than movies based on games.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By NTM

Definitely B unfortunately. What makes it worse is that almost every time they come out and get terrible scores (which they deserve) the critic points out that the people that play games probably will like it, but movie goers won't. It's pathetic. I mean, most games that are based off film are pretty mediocre, but unlike the film based off games, they're actually sometimes tolerable, and some are even fantastic (if you consider The Chronicles of Riddick).

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Ben_H  Online

There have been a few decent movie-based games. The number of game-based movies is basically non-existent. There might be one or two but most are awful. Just watch TANG and you will understand the horribilitude of these movies.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#32  Edited By Deranged

Movies based on games for the majority, are completely horrid.

xpgamer7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#33  Edited By xpgamer7

In concept or in reality? In concept games based off movies would be awesome. And Movies based off games would represent both mediums well. In reality, Almost all movies based off games are horrible sans a few. And vice versa, though the games are better examples(chronicles of riddick).

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By NTM

@DazzHardy said:

A lot of games based on movie's tend to be pretty average, very few are outright bad, but there are a handful of them which turn out to be rather good.

Movie's based on games ?

Street Fighter The Legend of Chun-Li */Argument*

Eh, the chun-li street fighter was one of the more bearable films to watch than most in my opinion (though I won't lie, I didn't see it all the way through from a lack of interest, not because it was terrible). You could have, and should have substituted that with the first Street Fighter movie.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#35  Edited By BaneFireLord

I love the Battle for Middle Earth LOTR games and a lot of Star Wars games are great. Movies based on games however...I cannot think of a single good one.

CounterShock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By CounterShock

I don't think i've ever liked a Video game movie, on the other hand, there movie video games that aren't that bad.

Suedehead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Suedehead

B. Because there have been some good movie games (King Kong, The Warriors, Spiderman 2, The Thing) but there has never been an objectively good game based movie.

Avatar image for dad_is_a_zombie
Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Going by sheer volume of shit, I went with games from movies. Neither side of the issue has a good track record though.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#39  Edited By penguindust

@WinterSnowblind said:

There's been at least a couple of good movie games.

I can't think of any game movies that were above okay and even they're debatable.

This sums it up for me as well. There are some good games-from-movies but even the best of the movies-inspired-by-games are just passable. Of course, the best answer is games-based-off-movies-based-off-games.

Street Fighter: The Movie - The Game
Street Fighter: The Movie - The Game
sanchopanza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By sanchopanza

B. All the people saying there are no/not many good movie based games...you should be ashamed to call yourselves gamers, you clearly don't know what you are talking about. I can think of like a dozen just off the top of my head.