• 116 results
Avatar image for colonel_pockets
Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 46

Man, this is tough. I've been going to GT for years. I always enjoyed their video content. Going from Giant Bomb to GT was great because of the different vibes each site brings. While GB can sometimes be a negative (but honestly realistic), GT was probably the most positive video game site on the internet. Listening to GT Time or any of their other videos really made me excited for every announcement. They knew what they were doing. They were talking about video games. I will miss them for that.

Hopefully they are all able to keep talking about games.....

Cactusapple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

To be honest theirs was one of the sites I couldn't help but stop trusting and I ended up mentally lumping them in with the IGNs and the Gamespots of the world. This doesn't feel like any great loss at all to me. I think it was one Shane Satterfield shilling of some crappy AAA game too many on that old, long dead Invisible Walls show that tipped me over the edge, and funnily enough that was only a few months before they got rid of him anyway. I wonder what him and Marcus Beer are doing with themselves these days...

Uppercaseccc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Oh man I just remembered all the amazing Kingdom Hearts videos that gametrailers did. the hour or so video on the Kingdom Hearts timeline is still the best explanation of the story of that series

Cactusapple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh, they all will, they have Gametrailers on their CV's; they'll be absolutely sorted.

Homelessbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's a bummer. Here's to them finding gainful employment elsewhere.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#56  Edited By Aegon

Can't say I didn't see this coming. As they were getting downsized, it was pretty strange seeing the staff become as undiverse as possible , even though I was pretty fond of a few of them (Bosman, Ben and Huber). Giant Bomb kind of has the same thing, but they started out as a tight nit group from gamespot.

Having said that, hypocritically I also wouldn't mind if some of the above came over to GB.

I'll be looking for where they go from here. I hope the Final Bets segment lives on somehow.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

I remember watching Bonus Round back in the day. I got a lot of exposure to Jeff and Michael Pachter on Bonus Round before finally coming to Giant Bomb more regularly.

clapmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was horrible news for me. GT has been a part of my life for 10 years. I started following them long before GB. I was loving their current twitch streams, GT Time and Mandatory Update. I guess defy media had to cut some slack and they chose Gametrailers. Really really sad day. Kinda feels like a bad break up or something.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I really, really hope that some of the GT staff will branch out and do their own thing like Kinda Funny Games, or whatever. The video reviews were the best in the industry, their E3 coverage was always great, and the rest of their content was pretty good too.

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As someone who interned at GT i'm super upset having known some of these guys personally. They are really the coolest guys in the journalism field. I'm sure they'll be fine, I've already sent out some personal texts. and it's looking like most of them are going to be more than ok :)

That knocks off one of the few gaming sites/videos i love to visit.

mathj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By mathj

as many others have said, they were definitely a flag ship site for video games for a long time. the end of era, how bitter it can be. good luck to everyone associated.

-also, what the fuck?

Avatar image for commanderbuttmunch
commanderbuttmunch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, this seems real crazy. Gametrailers seemed like they were the major promotional outlet for E3 and other big money events for a long time.

I feel like this gets said a fair bit, but you gotta wonder how financially viable a lot of big gaming press sites are or will be in the near future.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#63  Edited By Yummylee

Man, that's huge news for me. While I hadn't visited in years, there was a period during between 2009-2011 that I frequented the site very regularly. Not on the forums or anything, but I always loved their video reviews and the high production quality. I also listened to their Invisible Walls (before I grew a strong disdain towards Satterfield) and EpicBattleAxe podcasts too. It introduced me to AVGN as well, which made for a lot of quality entertainment during such a timeframe - though like GT I haven't watched any of his videos in a long while. In fact there was an awful lot of third-party stuff they hosted on there, which in a pre-youtube rules the world era was really interesting to browse through.

Similar to the early days of GB, GT were definitely ahead of the curve as well with their strict focus on video content. Their reviews were always so well produced (and narrated) that I would often search out older game reviews just for the pleasure of watching and listening to them.

RIP in piece to you GT!

Lanechanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GT was the place I went to during/after E3 to link trailers to my homies as it became tradition after a couple years. Very sad day and I hope the crew recovers and lands on their feet sooner than later.

indieslaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Too bad. I also really enjoyed their retrospectives.

SaFt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh man. That's a real shame. I loved their retrospectives and time lines. Even though they stopped doing them a long time ago I still visited the site to watch the old ones from time to time. The RE one was so good.

DocWattson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Giant Bomb should hire Kyle Bossman. Doubt it's in the budget but he's great.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

For a few years it was THE place I went to for video reviews and various other shows. Hey Ash.. back when it was still good, the Angry Videogame Nerd, Retrospectives etc etc. Invisible Walls was also my very first foray into podcast listening which up to that point I neither understood or thought that it would appeal to me. All the Keighley produced stuff was really top notch and during E3 they had pretty good coverage with decent interviews and such.

Hopefully those guys manage to find employment elsewhere, I can only imagine how stressful it must be to have the rug pulled out from under you like this, although I'm sure they must have heard some rumors about what was going down for a while now.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I'm really sad to hear this. They had great content.

Trenox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I appreciated Kyle Bosman

wwfundertaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 25

I loved gametrailers back in the day and its a shame its gone now.

Avatar image for deactivated-629fb02f57a5a
deactivated-629fb02f57a5a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I never got into GT, but it always sucks when people lose their jobs.

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By LeStephan

MAN I loved GT when it was only trailers + reviews + avgn + screwattack.Together with gamespot it was the first videogame site I frequented. Kinda stopped going there after I discovered GB (I also really didnt like SS). And then rediscovered the site when Mr bosman+friends joined(or at least from the point they started doing their own thing) Gametrailers was starting to really turn into something beautiful imo, the staff all seemed to have such a ridiculously great chemistry together but allas, it seems at least some people did not agree. And honestly their website was SUPER shitty for the longest of time, I was super glad when they started to put stuff on youtube, I had to download every video to be able to watch it at more than a couple fps.

(Although my guess would be on them being too expensive for Defy media, I think they might be making way more money on the other typical internetbullshit sites under their banner that obviously cost way less to sustain)

And that Kyle Bosman really is something special, cant wait to see what he'll do next.

RIP GT, may you live on in our memories

also to everyone wishing some of the staff would go to GB...Im not so sure they'd be a good fit :')

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

While sad, it seems like almost everyone, me included, has the same story. Used to visit them all the time back when high quality streamed trailers and video reviews were a rarity. Now that Youtube can deliver almost as much quality as their stuff, their reason for being ceased to exist. I would say that I watched E3 coverage through their site more years than not last decade, but with so much of that stuff getting streamed directly to users through other, larger sites, I just can't see a purpose for them anymore. Brandon is great at reading those reviews, and Kyle and Bloodworth are talented folks as well, but they were trying to save a ship that was always going to sink. Shame though. A lot of really great stuff came from those guys.

yagami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Lost all respect for them a couple of years ago when they shit-talked Angry Joe, who is, by all means, a REALLY damn fucking good reviewer. I'd argue the most unbiased one from those I know of.

He is the Bernie Sanders of reviewers. He hates the greed of the corporations, and he fights for the consumer.

Another thing that got me ticked off was Markus Beer giving Phil Fish a royal (and, let's be honest, a well deserved) bitchslap, which gametrailers didn't like. They, as a company, can fuck off.

As for the people like Kyle Bosman and Daniel Bloodworth... I like them, and I hope they'll find a home quickly.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess I am one of the reasons theyre gone but...over the last while I just stopped watching reviews/games criticism outside of GB Quick Looks. I guess the biggest reason is the trend towards "I don't like thing and here's my angry rant" that seems to happen with a lot of video content. (though admittedly mostly by youtubers as opposed to press)

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By LeStephan

@corvak:You may have liked the last couple of years actually, they seemed to try their hardest to do the exact opposide of the 'here is my angry rant' videos. always trying to be as positive as possible. They really took a turn for the better imo when most of the 'old crew' left/got fired. Besides Giant bomb, GT was the only games related website I still frequented. Guess its gonna be all GB now.

For anyone who hasnt checked them out yet, they had a couple of great GT live shows with developers and VO people and stuff on, the last one was excellent with one of the guys of campo santo. And the one with the composer of Ori and the blind forrest was pretty good too. There were more good ones but those 2 are a couple more recent ones that came to mind as being great. Lets hope the youtube channel stays online.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I used to enjoy their video reviews a whole lot; haven't visited in awhile though. Still sad to see them shut down. Hope everyone out of work gets by okay.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@corvak:You may have liked the last couple of years actually, they seemed to try their hardest to do the exact opposide of the 'here is my angry rant' videos. always trying to be as positive as possible. They really took a turn for the better imo when most of the 'old crew' left/got fired. Besides Giant bomb, GT was the only games related website I still frequented. Guess its gonna be all GB now.

For anyone who hasnt checked them out yet, they had a couple of great GT live shows with developers and VO people and stuff on, the last one was excellent with one of the guys of campo santo. And the one with the composer of Ori and the blind forrest was pretty good too. There were more good ones but those 2 are a couple more recent ones that came to mind as being great. Lets hope the youtube channel stays online.

Marcus Beer ruined a great many features with his attitude.

Wacomole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Wacomole

I used to frequent GameTrailers for the longest time to get my fix of Video Reviews, "Bonus Round" and "Invisible Walls". Along the way taking in a bunch of ScrewAttack Top 10s (and AngryVideoGameNerd) as well as "Hey Ash...What You Playin'?"

The one thing that in recent years had me going to the site once a year was for the E3 conference streams as they were always the most reliable, high quality video feeds available.

Even when GB would be talking over their feed, I always had another window open on another screen with the GameTrailers stream knowing that it would keep going (and usually be a few seconds more "live")

This year has got off to a hell of a start. First EA pulling out and now no more GT live feeds? This upcoming E3 is shaping up to be quite a different beast.

Actually, it has me wondering if EA got a heads-up about the imminent demise of GameTrailers and factored the probable drop in exposure into their decision to go their own way?

In any event, it's certainly a sad day to see the loss of what was once an absolute giant of a games site. Hopefully the staff land on their feet.

[cough! GiantBomb LA? cough!]

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kind of felt this coming for awhile now, the site has been on a slow decline for years, web page redesigns have always been for the worse, their video player has been pretty bad for a long time, they had some great high production features until a few years ago when some parent company stuff happened, i'm not sure what took place but i know a lot of staff were let go and they lost the ability to create said content. They tried to fill the gap with smaller staff lead content but non of the staff except Brandon really clicked with me, that and the video player being outright broken for me since the site redesign made me stop visiting entirely.

It's been a long and tragic road, hope the staff involved land on their feet.

GinjaAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bummer.

I was an avid GT user when I was in college, before Giant Bomb was even a thing. Their video reviews and retrospectives were especially great and well produced. Good luck to that staff.

Immortal_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't care that much for GT time and stuff, but I liked that they were one of the few sites that still did high-production video reviews, something I really miss from the giantbomb output (though I can totally see why giantbomb put their resources elsewhere). The Final Bossman was great, too - it's a real shame that it's ended this way. Kyle Bossman obviously thought carefully about the long-scale structure and pacing of it, so he must be bummed it won't get a proper finale. It's rough for a close team like that to suddenly face the axe with no warning - hope all concerned make it through alright.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Aw that sucks, The GT Retrospectives is one of the best works of video content I've seen on the internet, I think that's how I got into that site, really what a shame.

Fitzgerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really, REALLY liked the thought and care they put into their retrospectives. I'm really worried about that content being lost forever.

Aquablak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This sucks. GT was my go to for reviews. Their video reviews were top notch.

Best of luck to all involved, who will now need to find work.

BooDoug187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I did like the Pop Fiction videos even thought there were one or two that were really reaching with their story (one even being disproved by something awful, Nintendo, and their own forum users)

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lestephan: Oh, interesting. Now I feel bad for ignoring it. Hopefully all that content doesn't just disappear.

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By LeStephan

@fitzgerald: I still have basically all of them on a dvd + an external hdd somewhere, you used to able to download all of them in full quality(maybe still?). If GT ever comes to dissappear I'd be glad to re-upload them somewhere if possible

shaunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never actually paid any attention to any of their regular games coverage, but their game retrospectives and Pop-Fiction were great shows.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

I liked Bosman's show but if I'm being honest I stopped checking the site regularly when it seemed like Michael Pachter lost time to do the Q&A videos, and I stopped checking it altogether when Bonus Round stopped.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cale said:

I don't like this wind that's blowing, it's ominous, a portent of desolation and ruin. Today it's GameTrailers, tomorrow it could be 1UP.

You'd better sit down, I have some bad news for you. 1UP has been dead for well over 4 years now.

burgavo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh wow that's a bummer, I used to go there for reviews and IW back when Shane Satterfield was still a part of the site. Hope the remaining staff lands on their feet.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By NTM

Wow. That's surprising to me. I still have it on the top of my page bookmarked, even though it's the game site I view least. This means GameTrailers is going off it soon, just as Rev3Games did... Many people ound him annoying from what I remember, but after Shane Satterfield, and some others left, I stopped really going there. I liked to hear what they had to say on Invisible Walls. I went back a few times after, but it wasn't my thing. Also, I only go there now for Bonus Round honestly; what's going to happen with that now? Well, hopefully everyone there is going to find something else to do. It'd be nice to see them branch out to other game sites. Despite not watching it a lot, I know they did good work that other people around the business would like to have their talents.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

This is sad to hear. GameTrailers is responsible for a lot of the push-forward mentality that gaming journalism strived for when it came to video content and such. I hope everyone lands on their feet well.

Also, this brings something up, and maybe @mike and the other mods might want to make a thread about it as they've done in the past: there are going to be a lot of people who were solely dedicated to the GameTrailers community that we could start seeing finding a new home here in the Giant Bomb forums. Please, if you see people coming over to introduce themselves in a blog or a thread or something, treat them with respect and welcome them the way that any Giant Bomb denizen should: by promising that we won't eat them and that they are more than welcome to use the bathrooms as long as they refill the toilet paper if it runs out.

Seriously, though: be nice to any community members that are migrating over here. Show them why Giant Bomb's community is actually more awesome than what the internet at large seems to believe. = D

Avatar image for indeedcodybrown
IndeedCodyBrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GT has gotten really really great over the past few years. I really would like to see like Brandon, Kyle, and Huber do something. I doubt they could start something and bring in the whole crew. If anything like a rebirth were to happen it would need to start small... like GB did.

Jinoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

Bloodborne rescored to a 10.

Their only 10 ever.

What a way to go. /salute

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

It's interesting to see how many people here are fans of GT. To be honest I've always written that site off as, well, I don't know what. Just never cared for it ("Trailers? I can watch that on youtube!") but seeing all these comments makes me interest to go check out their backlog. I realize now that site wasn't just a list of videos handed over by publishers... I guess it's too little to late from my end, but perhaps now their internet legacy will live on through this arm in my browser.