Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Poll Oxford Comma (203 votes)

Yes, yes, and yes 81%
no, no and no 19%

a comma used after the penultimate item in a list of three or more items, before ‘and’ or ‘or’ (e.g. an Italian painter, sculptor, and architect ).

It is completely up to the writer whether to use an oxford comma, or not. So what is your take on it?

• 
Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
citizencoffeecake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By citizencoffeecake

Who gives a fuck about an Oxford Comma?

Actually they're pretty useful.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I think I use both ways as the mood takes me, so I can't answer this.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

I also roll both ways.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

It looks wrong without one so I always use it.

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Why would you speak to me that way :(

I tend to use them but won't freak out if they aren't there.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I tend to use them personally but I don't really register whether or not they're there when other people list things.

KirkyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By KirkyX

I generally love the Oxford comma, but then, I have a bit of an obsession with commas--they frequently show up, in great quantity, in the overlong sentences I can't seem to help but write.

It's one of those habits I have to deliberately reign in when I'm writing lengthy, graded work.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

If they are needed i use them, wheres the option of common sense?

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#10  Edited By Humanity

Two spaces after a period, I don't care that you can't see it, I still do it because it's just right.

BojackHorseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes.

Because if not, it reads like this;

No, no-and-no.

In my mind at least.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Yes: without can lead to confusion, including it never does, and it keeps each term pleasingly separated.

m2thek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

Two spaces after a period, I don't care that you can't see it, I still do it because it's just right.

You can definitely see it, and it is definitely wrong.

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

commas, commas, and more commas!

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Well now we'll know how many duders are bad people

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"This book is dedicated to my parents, Joe and Martha."

Are the parents named Joe and Martha? An Oxford comma (or lack thereof in a world where everyone used them) would make it clear. In our DEBASED reality nobody knows.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"This book is dedicated to my parents, Joe and Martha."

Are the parents named Joe and Martha? An Oxford comma (or lack thereof in a world where everyone used them) would make it clear. In our DEBASED reality nobody knows.

Exactly. Even when there could be only one meaning, I don't like the idea of the word "and" taking the place of a comma.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

@dixavd: Sadly, that's not always true. From the Wikipedia article:

The Times once published an unintentionally humorous description of a Peter Ustinov documentary, noting that "highlights of his global tour include encounters with Nelson Mandela, an 800-year-old demigod and a dildo collector". This would still be ambiguous if a serial comma were added, as Mandela could then be mistaken for a demigod, although he would be precluded from being a dildo collector

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just do it. Please.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Always.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By mikemcn

If it clarifies it should always be used!

That way people know that when you say "i love my two parents, videogames and skiing." ,you aren't somehow the child of a snow sport and digital software but rather that you love a series of distinct things; your parents, videogames, and skiing.

cyberbloke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm a newspaper editor in England and, no, I would not use it.

Punctuation, where it is not necessary, slows down the reader and makes reading less enjoyable.

It just breaks the flow of the prose, without adding any extra meaning or value.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@m2thek said:

@humanity said:

You can definitely see it, and it is definitely wrong.

Sadly modern web design made it obsolete, but it is definitely not wrong if you're not a monster that is.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Yes.

Because if not, it reads like this;

No, no-and-no.

In my mind at least.

Precisely this. As far as I'm concerned, everyone should use an Oxford comma and this shouldn't even be a discussion.

When I see a comma, I pause my reading for a split second. It throws me way off when someone writes out a list of things and I'm stopping between each one and then my brain just reads the last two things as one. I can't argue with someone telling me that this is just a "personal problem", but those people should also know that it makes your writing look very messy. Ugh, it's so fucking annoying. I'll acknowledge that it is "just a little thing", but it's one of those little things that really bothers me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Almost always.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#26  Edited By Justin258

@cyberbloke said:

I'm a newspaper editor in England and, no, I would not use it.

Punctuation, where it is not necessary, slows down the reader and makes reading less enjoyable.

It just breaks the flow of the prose, without adding any extra meaning or value.

I can begrudgingly accept it in a print newspaper (or any other kind of printed periodical) because that's one way you guys can save space. In any other case, it's the worst. You say it breaks the flow of the prose, but as I said above, the lack of an Oxford comma breaks it completely for me because I have to stop and think "oh, there should be a comma here", then start reading again.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#27  Edited By doctordonkey

Only a true godless heathen would forgo the usage of an oxford comma.

Berserk007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I smell nerds,,,just saying.

grandCurator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I smell nerds,,,just saying.

That's some real next level comma usage right there.

That said, Oxford comma all day. Nothing seems right without it although I have been docked points on papers for using it and I got annoyed by that.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@dixavd: Sadly, that's not always true. From the Wikipedia article:

The Times once published an unintentionally humorous description of a Peter Ustinov documentary, noting that "highlights of his global tour include encounters with Nelson Mandela, an 800-year-old demigod and a dildo collector". This would still be ambiguous if a serial comma were added, as Mandela could then be mistaken for a demigod, although he would be precluded from being a dildo collector

I see. My use of "never" was over-emphasised; thanks for pointing me to the article and a counter-example. Still, I'd argue it wouldn't be ambiguous if people used the "- tangent -" more frequently.

• Were Mandela neither the demigod not the dildo collector you'd write: "highlights of his global tour include encounters with Nelson Mandela, an 800-year-old demigod, and a dildo collector"
  • Were Mandela a demigod but not a dildo collector you'd write: "highlights of his global tour include encounters with Nelson Mandela - an 800-year-old demigod - and a dildo collector"
  • Were Mandela a demigod and a dilso collector you'd write: "highlights of his global tour include encounters with Nelson Mandela - an 800-year-old demigod and a dildo collector"
Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Always.

zombievac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By zombievac

I was taught or told at some point the same thing - either way is fine. But it's not that simple. Whether or not you include the last comma can make the sentence mean different things, because you can use an "and" or an "or" mid-list, and not using the comma relates those two items where using it separates them as "Separate entries on the list" - and of course this applies to the last item(s) in the list as well.

Just my take on the matter. Both are used enough where either can be considered technically correct by large parts of the population, but using them is more clear in some (somewhat rarer) cases.

EDIT: Just saw Mirado's post above mine and that is EXACTLY one of the cases why it SHOULD be used!

Writing clearly is hard enough, especially when so many people these days have trouble interpreting the tone or intent of written words/sentences, because the Internet has "dirtied" the written word - people are less likely to be carefully vetted and edited when they write something online, and it seems to have made the written word viewed more negatively in general - for example, in a book, before the 90's, people would tend to assume the writer is not being hateful or directing any sort of hidden meaning or sarcasm in their writing, unless that is the point. On the Internet, in a discussion, people will tend to take a negative view of, say, the same sentence when they see someone say it online vs. the same sentence making the same point in a "published" book or other more traditional publication. Mirado's example sort of illustrates both issues, or at least the issue of clarity of meaning.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Onemanarmyy

in Dutch i was learned that you should not use a comma before 'and' in a list. As a notorious comma user, that's what keeps me restrained :) But i can totally understand why you would want to do it.

Instead of writing ' I love my friends, Benedict Cumberbatch and John Irving' and wondering if i should place an oxford comma, i rather rewrite the sentence as : i love Benedict Cumberbatch, John Irving and my friends. Now it's clear that Bendict & John are no friends of mine.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is that damn hard to put the comma in there and make sure you are understood clearly?

odinsmana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn`t even know this was a thing. I don`t know if my school failed me or if this just isn`t a thing in Norway.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Always. People who are willing to potentially introduce ambiguity to a sentence by omitting a comma just to save space/avoid a pause/whatever are being absurd.

lead_dispencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it sad that I feel stronger about the Oxford comma than I do about most politics in the US?

Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@imhungry said:
@citizencoffeecake said:

Why would you speak to me that way :(

I tend to use them but won't freak out if they aren't there.

I do. It's all my diction dripping with disdain when I see the lack of them outside of journalism.

@humanity said:

I knew I disagreed with your opinions Humanity but with this now I can just say I dislike you.

"Through the pain, I always tell the truth"

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blackout62: two spaces, never compromise, always stay true to the rightful cause.

nnickers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Use the Oxford comma, people.

BaconHound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@humanity: I salute you. I had no idea we were in the minority, but I will never back down. Even if I wanted to, I don't think I could re-program my brain to NOT key the second space.

On Oxford commas: Yes, absolutely.