PhilipDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#801  Edited By PhilipDuck

The Hangover part 3

Concept was boring, jokes were few and far apart, overall just not very funny, they have got worse each time.

5/10

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Fast and Furious 6.

It's by far the fastest and most furious one yet. Leave your brain at home and this movie is insane. 6/5.

triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Star Trek: Into Darkness: I liked it / 5

Fun film for someone who has seen and enjoyed a bit of Star trek over the years but just a fun summer blockbuster in the end.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

On Blu Ray: Les Misérables (2012) - A bit long-winded for my taste. Not entirely sure what made the movie feel like it was dragging on, but something just felt a bit dull. The singing and overall performances were pretty good in my opinion, but I just wasn't feeling it.

In the theatres: Evil Dead (2013) - While no where near the original, it was pretty entertaining. Some of the callbacks to the original was great to see and the liberties they had taken were alright. The movie did also have two scenes that got me laughing quite a bit, which probably made me look like a crazy person seeing as I was at the theatre by myself and I wouldn't say the other in there found those scenes as hilarious as I did.

notdavid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Titan AE. 8/10. Some of the nu metal is terrible and out of place, but the rest of it is some of the best animated sci-fi I've seen. I wouldn't say that it's Don Bluth's best film (That would be Land Before Time), but it feels like it represents the culmination of his body of work. It's a fine movie to end a career on.

Avatar image for lemmycaution217
Lemmycaution217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#807  Edited By Lemmycaution217

Pieta - 3/5

This is a recent South Korean revenge film about a sociopath debt collector who meets a woman claiming to be his mother, which then leads to the debt collector facing the horrors of all the lives he has ruined due to him crippling everyone who owes him money. This film is supposedly super polarizing because of it's violent and sexual nature, but that aside it was okay at best. Being both a South Korean and revenge film, you may enjoy this if you liked Old Boy orI Saw The Devil, however I would consider those two to be better films. This is the first film I've watched by Kim Ki-duk and hearing that his previous films are vastly better, I am still interested in this filmmaker.

AiurFlux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hangover III - 3/10

I didn't laugh once. Not once. It was fucking terrible. It would be a 2/10 but it gets 1 extra point because of Goodman. Classic case of not knowing when to just stop.

mx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#809  Edited By mx

Now you see me 7/10

Enjoyable film though the paper thin story makes it only worth watching once.

JTB123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

Django Unchained 10/10

Easily one of my top 3 Tarantino films, amazingly shot and has some of his best dialog and characters he's ever thought up. Would highly recommend.

sir_gunblade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#811  Edited By sir_gunblade

Wreck it Ralph 7/10

Charming, enjoyable, likable characters. A lot of the story points, and many of Ralph's early actions, don't make much since. Humor misses more than hits.

MegaLombax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now You See Me...main plot isn't mind-blowing but pacing was good. Kept me engaged throughout the movie. Would've liked it even more if the magic trick parts were more believable. The casts were great too I thought. Fun ride / 8.

sirdesmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Last movie I watched was Sinister, and I quite liked it really... until a rushed and pretty stupid ending. 6 out of 10, I guess?

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#814  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe

Gangster Squad. Don't really get why so many people shit on this movie. It didn't try to be anything more than purely entertaining, slightly over-the-top action movie with a mob theme, and I think it succeeded pretty well at being just that. It's not amazing but I had fun watching it. Excellent cast, too. 8/10

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#815  Edited By ch3burashka

Predator. 2/5. No clue what the fuck everyone sees/saw in it to make it into a huge franchise.

It can be argued not showing the Predator builds tension - I thought it was just cheap effects and for plot convenience.

That last fight scene was pretty terrible as well.

PS Why the FUCK is everyone rating movies out of 10? This is fucking Giant Bomb! 5 stars or bust!

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

Prometheus, and i'd rate it 4/5. It's a really interesting movie, not to mention I adore anything with Aliens, and it looks great on blu ray.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Star Trek Into Darkness 8/10

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

Farrah Abrahams: Backdoor Teen Mom

5/5

Best back door I've ever seen entered.

Just kidding. Last movie I saw was Star Trek Into Darkness. Great up until the end which didn't make any sense. One of the best played villains in modern summer blockbusters. Maybe my favorite since The Joker. Great special effects. Overall not brilliant but good enough for what it was. I want to say more but I don't want to spoil it for anyone who doesn't know the big reveal. I'd say 3.5/5

Before that I saw the MST3K version of some terrible ventriloquist movie. 4/5 on the riffs. 1.5/5 for the movie. Only that high because anyone whose seen MST3K knows there are some truly terrible movies out there.

InternetCrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Hangover: Part III.

6/10. The Hangover series has dried out most of their jokes, although Chow's antics still enduces a little laughter.

I guess Todd Phillips and gang never figured out that the Hangover actually never needed a sequel.

MrHadouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#820  Edited By MrHadouken

The Road - 3.9/5. Some tense parts, really great acting, but most like anti climactic.

Lincoln - 5/5. Holy hell, only oscar movie I have yet to see is Argo, and I was saying Zero Dark Thirty was my favorite of this year... until I saw Lincoln.

The Great Gatsby- 2.5/5 Great acting, beautiful to look at, however, terrible music/score (I do like Jay-z's music, but him adding his own music to the movie was just asinine) and they really missed the mark capturing the 1920's.

Les Miserables - 4.5/5. Hauntingly sublime, after watching only thing I could say was just simply, god damn!

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Watched Dark Knight Rises for the first time since the theater, still a ok movie. 3/5

BUT I have been having a hard time finding anything on defending the movie or people making the argument that it is the best out of the trilogy. It felt like a 50/50 split at the time of release but I guess those that were defending its...flaws didn't feel like journalizing these points. Oh well.

Stepside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Hunt for Red October on Netflix. Still one of the best movies of all time. 5/5

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#823  Edited By nightriff

@ch3burashka: Totally agree about Predator, watched it last fall for the first time in years and was bored and disappointed. Arnold has plenty of movies that still are great but that isn't one.

MrHadouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#824  Edited By MrHadouken

A bunch of blockbusters are closing around here, so I am taking advantage of the $1.99 blu-rays I haven't seen. Today I picked up Biutiful, Game Change, Michael Clayton, The last station, Ides of march, Nowhere boy, and Invictus.

Also I had found The artist, Zero Dark Thirty, The Descendants, Les miserables, End of watch, The master, Moonrise Kingdom, Bernie, Barney's Version, A Seperation, Argo, and Seven psychopaths, at other closing blockbusters. All but A Seperation and Seven psychopaths were on blu-ray. I'd say my wife and I are building a nice library.

Avatar image for commander_crichton
Commander_Crichton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Upstream Color - 5/5

Like with Primer, I'm not gonna pretend that I fully understood the story. All I know for sure is: everything from the soundtrack to the cinematography and the editing, is damn near perfect.

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#826  Edited By davidwitten22

Mama - 5/10

The scary creature in this movie was too comical looking to ever provide any scares and there was very little suspense throughout the movie. The characters were fine for the most part and the little girls acted very well, but the story jumped off the rails and the effects were just too poor to stomach. Could have easily been approved to be a decent movie, just fell short.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

Manhunter

The new Hannibal tv show made me want to check out the first Hannibal movie and man, it doesn't even seem like Hannibal was a cannibal in Manhunter, he just killed college girls. And he's only in the movie for 3 scenes, and 2 of them are a phone calls. The movie focuses more on Will Graham and his own sanity, kinda like the show, but the show goes even further. It also focuses far less on the Tooth Fairy than the subsequent Ratner adaptation of the same source novel, Red Dragon, did. If I hadn't seen Red Dragon first, I probably would've been quite confused by all the scenes featuring Dollarhyde.

Also, it's directed by Michael Mann, so the soundtrack is very fucking 80's. (I know it was made in the 80's, but practically all Mann's movies have 80's-esque soundtracks)

In fact, on the 80's scale, I give the movie a 1984, which is about as 80's as you can get.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey-8.5/10

The movie was easier to follow than the LoTR movies, though not as good, the characters were really likable, and the special effects are a big upgrade to what we witnessed in the LoTR movies. One problem was that some of scenes looked like they were entirely in CGI, including the dwarves themselves looking completely CGI. I didn't really feel like I had a problem with the frame rate though. Overall had a real good time watching it and I'm looking forward to part 2 and 3.

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#829  Edited By EquitasInvictus

Sushi Girl(watched it on Blu-Ray D) - 8.5/10

While this is definitely derivative of Quentin Tarantino's works, especially to the vein of films like Reservoir Dogs, I feel like it was still a great experience on its own. Mark Hamilldefinitely steals the show for me (which is why his character from the film is now my avatar) by playing an incredibly quirky, flamboyant, but a downright violent psychopath named Crow. I would definitely recommend it to people who are into crime films that are borderline exploitative due to its premise and graphic content. Had a blast watching it!

This makes me wish Mark Hamill ends up reprising his voice acting for The Joker in the games/cartoons; I know he keeps saying he'll come back if they decide to adapt The Killing Joke someday, and I really hope they do.

Dimi3je

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just saw Stoker. A big letdown.

53/178

Sanious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#831  Edited By Sanious

"Stone Cold"

No, this has nothing to do with the wrestler. It stars "Brian Bosworth" who was in the NFL for a few years but left because of an injury and this movie is clearly a shot at trying to making him a hit. Which depending on the way you look at it, he is but just not in ways they intended. I personally find this movie a 10/10 and that goes with saying if you went into seeing the movie the way I did, expecting cheesy acting, dialog and just finding fuck ups in scenes during the movie.

Although to its credit, the finale of the movie is pretty nuts in terms of 80's/90's action movies and actually stays steadily on the line of a being a legit good scene. Of course there is some cheese during the whole thing to make it that much more awesome.

Recommend the movie highly to anyone who likes sitting around with friends and watching real-dumb-bad action films.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#832  Edited By handlas

V/H/S/2

1/5 - Would not watch again!

Found out there was a sequel to V/H/S earlier this week. I had no idea before. I wish I didn't find out. I don't think a single story in V/H/S/2 was as good as the worst story from the first movie. The acting was terrible and the premises were worse. I don't hold up V/H/S as anything amazing but a few of the stories were good and creepy. What I don't understand is how critics reviewed the sequel so much better than V/H/S.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Purge: 3/5.

It could've been way better but they kept beating the audience over the head with a message that they think is way deeper and revolutionary than it actually is.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#834  Edited By CaLe

The Place Beyond the Pines: 4/5 - Ryan Gosling is ratcheting up my favorite actors list with each movie I see him in.

Lesson of the Evil: 4/5 - Takashi Miike knows exactly what he wants to make and his execution seems to be getting better and better. He shows considerable self-control in allowing the story to develop before letting his trademark penchant for violence take over. I expect some of the younger actors/actresses in this to have long, successful careers as well. Impressive stuff all round, apart from the terrible foreign actors which, for the most part, you just have to tolerate when they appear in Japanese movies. I also reckon this movie would never be allowed in American theaters! I'm sure anyone who has seen it can understand why.

Zeeco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Saw Star Trek: Into Darkness recently. I'd give it a 7.5/10.

bgdiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#836  Edited By bgdiner

Just watched Safe House on blu-ray, and I'll throw it 5/5 stars. I'm a sucker for action thrillers, and movies like this really pique my interest. Denzel Washington is a fantastic actor, and though Ryan Reynolds always has this "clueless dog" look, he performs pretty well in this movie. The plot is fairly standard (your standard betrayal-twist script), but it is executed really well. I love seeing these kind of movies on Friday nights with friends, because you don't have to think too much and you get a fun experience for a few hours in return. I'm all for thought-out, complex narratives, but if there is a genre of movies I will absolutely jump at, it's action thrillers like Safe House.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

T'was a double feature I picked from a local VOD service I tried out (it had a two movie-for-free trial). For some reason watched two movies on mental illness. Take Shelter and The Silver Linings Playbook. I'd rate them both 4 out of 5 stars - though I'd give the nod to The Silver Linings Playbook... it's essentially "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" played straight. That Jennifer Lawrence gal slowly wears me down too, she didn't quite pop for me until just then. Now I'd let her do the splits for me anytime.

MrHadouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mama - 1/5. ugh..

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wreck it Ralph, pretty good, pretty much what I'd expect from these types of movies. 4/5

SpoogeMcduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Iron Man 3, I'd give it 9.3/10 iron weenies.

There were a few things I didn't like, they needed to use his extra armor as more than just background stuff. Would've been cool to see how each ones different...

Sursh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#841  Edited By Sursh

fast and furious 6 - 5/10.

bleh. it was a little entertaining for what it was. never really been much of a car enthusiast, and this only made my lack of enthusiasm even more apparent.

oh the hilarity when a group of immature dickheads, speed, screech and skid their way from the malls parking lot. the same dickheads which happened to be sitting behind me in the cinema. sad, really.

Cwaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Battle Royale - 4/5. It's what I wanted the Hunger Games to be.

Avatar image for thediabolicalbm
thediabolicalbm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#843  Edited By thediabolicalbm

Ong-bak:the muay thai warrior between tony jaa elbowing everybody in the head and needless backflips/frontflips over everthing pretty great. It's a martial arts movie so the plot was run of mill but thats not what i came for. I came for middle eastern men who only fight using furniture and dance fighting oldboy look alikes. Plus the scene where the the evil muay thai man shoots like 7 syringes of steroids and gets super strength is amazing. A solid over the top martial arts movie 4.5 tony jaa's out of 5

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rampart - 2.5/5 A decent movie, that goes maybe a bit too long and doesn't really know how to end it or what to do with the ending, but has pretty interesting stuff in the middle. Recommend it.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#845  Edited By Marcsman

Identity Theft

Silver Lining Playbook

They were both awful. Totally awful.

Chocobodude3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 18

Man of Steel 5 stars or puppies

Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Place Beyond the Pines - 3.5/5 Good acting, but it gets kinda slow and predictable as it goes on.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Antichrist - 3/5

I'll give Von Trier this: The movie was BEAUTIFULLY shot. Absolutely gorgeous. I'm a little iffy on everything else, though. It wasn't bad by any means, it just felt like it was kind of up its own ass. The plot wasn't original or complex enough to justify the artsy trappings or runtime, and by the end it's basically shoving the symbolism in your face just to make sure that you get it. If this had been a 45 minute short, it would have been much more digestible. As it is, it's glacial without purpose.

The acting was very good, on the other hand. The infamous scenes at the end were harrowing, and not just because of the graphic violence. The twist was legitimately great as well, and only by the grace of the acting quality beforehand does it work. This would be a 2/5 if it weren't for the performances.

I'd call this movie "Diet David Lynch" if I had to sell somebody on it. It IS worth seeing (and as hard to watch as a couple of scenes are, it's not nearly as horrific as its reputation), just with the caveat that it is a bit of work to get through.

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Megan is Missing: 0/5

A trainwreck of a movie. It's a 90 minute movie and the first 70 minutes are completely throw away. I stayed with it until the end because some horror buffs on reddit were building it up. Might be the absolute worst movie I've ever seen.

Avatar image for deactivated-64cd222f5c6ac
deactivated-64cd222f5c6ac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Identity Theft

Just....no. It was terrible.

1/5. The one is for Jason Bateman and that the only reason it even scored.