User Lists: 0

Avatar image for deactivated-629fb02f57a5a
deactivated-629fb02f57a5a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

@aegon: Too many video games, but its the action scenes that play out like a Rube Goldberg machine I'm referring to.

DeepSpace9MM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

I'm watching Elysium right now!

The story's about as subtle as a hammer to the head and the acting ranges from non-offensive to hilari-bad (looking at your bad French accent, Jody Foster), but it builds an interesting world and it has some great action scenes. Plus, it has a Burial song on the soundtrack.

2 1/2 socialized medicine/immigration/occupy metaphors out of 5.

studsmckewl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#904  Edited By studsmckewl

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - 4/5.

This second installment of Tolkien's The Hobbit transformed to the big screen is an overall improvement over the first installment (which I give a 3/5). Overall the movie takes itself a little more seriously, without crossing the line of taking itself too seriously. While the film does overstay it's welcome, you get the sense that Peter Jackson is still providing you with solid content, instead of just stretching things out for no real reason. The voice acting of Smaug the dragon is pretty great, and if you go in with the mindset that you're about to watch an action movie based on a children's novel, you'll probably find something you enjoy.

TheKramer89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Only God Forgives, 1/5. Boring and pretentious as hell. I still have faith in Refn though...

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Hunger Games 2 - 3/5

meh

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Melancholia.

I give it 5 boobs out of 5 for Ms. Dunst.

MegaLombax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Captain Phillips - 4 sea pirates out of 5 navy seals. Solid acting from Tom Hanks. The tension buildup was great I thought.

PimblyCharles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#909  Edited By PimblyCharles

Gummo - 4/5 kitties.

The resurgence of Harmony Korine with Spring Breakers got me to go back last night and watch Gummo again. Now that is a fucked up, but ultimately unforgettable movie. I'd have given it a 5/5 kitties before watching it again. It holds up still, but the shock value was less than when I watched it the first time years and years ago.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Man of Steel - 4/5

The Family - 3/5

Memento 4.5/5

fatalbanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#911  Edited By fatalbanana

The first Hunger Games. Yeah, I'm late to the party but I didn't really enjoy that movie. I can see getting a lot out of it if you read the books but I found myself rolling my eyes and shaking my head a lot through it. I usually have a pretty open mind when it comes to most things (I actually like the first Twilight movie) (I'm a 23 year old man) (ish) but Hunger Games just didn't do much for me.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

X Men First Class

Solid Movie 36/40

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looper. 4/5.

Weird looking JGL. That is all.

Suppose to look more like Willis

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

This weekend my buddy and I went for a double feature involving two movies based on young adult novels with "er Game" in the title.

Ender's Game sucked! It was a super accurate adaptation, meaning all the characters were terrible and impossible to like. I found Ender particularly grating. Also I'd be interested to know how someone who hasn't read the book reacted to the twist. It seemed a little rushed and confusing? I told my brother it was awesome though, because I'm an asshole. 6 buggers out of 10 buggers (Two of these buggers are composed of pure spite).

The new Hunger Games was pretty good. It took too long to get going though, it must have been over an hour before the games actually started this time. Some of that early stuff was cool, but they really could've cut a bit. Also I find myself spacing out whenever the relationship stuff is going on, Peta is too defined by his attachment to Katniss, and I don't know how we're supposed to care about what's-his-face with how little screen time he gets. A seemingly indifferent girl choosing between two bland, vaguely hunky dudes is not my idea of an interesting romance. Also cliff hangers are bullshit, I don't want to read the novels and I don't want to wait 2 years to find out what happens. 7 and a half golden guyliner brushes out of a possible 10.

I also watched Identity Thief and I don't know why, and I wish I hadn't finished it because it was bad. 2 numbers out of 10 numbers.

Avatar image for royalewifcheese
RoyaleWifCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Goon. Heard Patrick (or was it Drew?) mention it on the podcast and thought that I should finally get around to seeing it. It was pretty good, despite my inherent dislike of Seann William Scott. I do enjoy Allison Pill and Liev Schreiber and both are pretty great in this one. I also enjoy the cartoonish nature of the violence.

Plus, in my ongoing quest to become a Canadian, it's teaching me about hockey and fighting in hockey.

4 drug-addled Quebecois hockey players out of 5.

Vrikk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#916  Edited By Vrikk

The Depp "Willy Wonka" movie. Shit is weird, man. Trippy.

3/5 I guess. I didn't hate it, but I won't watch it again. Always the Gene Wilder original.

Solidfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I watched Gladiator, I thought it was super duper dumb. Go watch it.

mjk0104

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Capricorn One. Not bad, hasn't aged particularly well, Elliott Gould is excellent though. The ending sucked, all the suspense is just left hanging there while the credits roll.

3/5 snake-eating astronauts.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#919  Edited By bigjeffrey

@solidfox said:

I watched Gladiator, I thought it was super duper dumb. Go watch it.

I actually just saw this one too, yup dumb. WATCh it

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

Oh, wait. Summer Wars was the last movie I watched. That's a pretty cool movie, then. How about twelve kung fu rabbits out of a possible fleven?

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#922  Edited By artelinarose

Pacific Rim like two weeks ago. 4/5, not as much robot on kaiju violence as I was expecting but it was still rad as heck.

Sidekick-Trio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Leprechaun in the hood. Tried to watch it on the weekend and had to stop half way through, utterly unwatchable 3 tomatoes out of spaceship.

Hoboassassin54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#924  Edited By Hoboassassin54

End of the Watch is a really good cop movie. 4/5

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

"White House Down" 4/5

Its an entertaining movie. As every single movie from Emmerich, your capacity to enjoy it is completely dependent of how fast can you turn off your brain, and how long can you keep it off. The moment you start thinking about its plot or about its political messages (as subtle as a kick in the balls), the moment it breaks apart.

The movie is a classic "man locked in a place with a lot of bad guys" with some "air force one" mixed in, to the point it almost feels like a failed script for the next Die Hard and Tatum making his best Willis impersonation, where the bad guys are flawlessly competent until they meet the guy that was there by chance and is trying to save his family.

Avatar image for machofantastico
MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

Scrooged - 4/5

Still a cracking Christmas movie. Bill Murray at his best.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@hermes: I firmly believe Independence Day is one of the most entertaining and humorous movies ever made. Emmerich is an unintentional comedic genius!

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fredchuckdave: Ohh... I agree. ID4 was a masterpiece in terms of blockbuster entertainment.

But it did have the same problems every other Emmerich movie has (think 2012 or Day After Tomorrow), which is that his scripts don't survive the least bit of scrutiny.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Mega64 10th Anniversary Blu-ray Collection
Mega64 10th Anniversary Blu-ray Collection
Score: ALL OF THE STARS
Score: ALL OF THE STARS

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

Anchorman 2 - 5/5

Literally the funniest movie I've ever seen. Not a minute went by where I wasn't laughing. There were minute-long stretches multiple times where I laughed all the way through. I went in not expecting it to be better than the first, but it blows the first out of the water. Too funny.

(PS, can we just get a Brick Tamland movie now?)

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#931  Edited By veektarius

The Molly Maguires. Like 1970 flick about anti-establishment terrorists amongst Irish immigrants in Pennsylvania. Richard Harris and Sean Connery are both great, though neither is convincingly Irish. There was also a police captain who was supposed to be Welsh, but his accent just sounded weird. Maybe it was authentic. Real interesting story. I'd give it 4 out of 5 Americans who can't tell one kind of British Isles accent from another.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#932  Edited By Justin258

I watched Tremors 3 yesterday.

It was dumb, but it was dumb in some good ways. It's not great or anything, but it was well-paced and cheesy and, perhaps most importantly of all, I was laughing with it more than I was laughing at it. I need to re-watch the first one, which isn't even on Netflix.

EDIT: Score? Oh. Uh. Eight gallons of orange worm goop out of ten, I guess.

Avatar image for rhombus_of_terror
Rhombus_Of_Terror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hobbit DoS; 4/5.

Great improvement over the first. I liked that Bard was introduced a lot sooner considering what's to come.

Pros;

• As it being my first HFR experience it really is impressive stuff to see and I hope it evolves and is used more. HFR > 3D. My favourite shot was Thorin standing on top of Smaug's snout.
  • Smaug. Great design, great voice.
  • Pacing was better than the first.
  • Art Direction, especially in Lake Town, which was pretty impressive.

Cons;

• Length, this film does need an edit here and there, especially for the...
  • ...romance storyline. I don't know why that's there, seemed to only enforce the latter scenes in Lake Town.
  • The camera work. Why does the DP need to make an excessive use of camera pans and swoops was beyond me, 3D HFR was fine with the more static shots as it is.
Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Saw The Hobbit. Fell asleep. It gets a pass because I'm entirely aware of my impenetrable indifference toward anything Lord of the Rings.

3/5.

streetninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Out of the Furnace; 2 out of 5

The acting was good, but holy shit the movie was terribly paced and the story was incredibly predictable.

OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Forbidden Kingdom 4/5

A fun riff on the Monkey King's imprisonment under the mountain. Excellent fight scenes (Jackie and Jet are super). A tiny bit draggy here and there...

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#937  Edited By Yummylee

Sexy Beast - 4/5

Some absolutely top notch performances by all involved, and the movie has a great kinetic energy to it all. Very Guy Richie-esque in its direction style, but a little more grounded and not quite as cartoonish. Very character driven and generally small scale (like half of the movie takes place at Ray Winston's character's house), which I always tend to find more appealing.

nok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Finally just watched Pacific Rim, went into thinking this is going to be so horribly stupid I won't make it an hour. Finished it a with a smile and although you could tell pretty much everything that was going to happen with the plot and characters, I had a great freaking time. 5/5

Dimi3je

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Elysium - real let down, just plain dumb. 2 stars out of 17 sardines.

The Act of Killing - probably the best documentary this year. 49 carrots out of 55.

The Hunger games - just ok. 1 meh.

Avatar image for thecreamfilling
TheCreamFilling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Hobbit 2 - 2/5. Glad I didn't bother with the first one.

nnotdead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Frozen 4/5

KillNGer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#942  Edited By KillNGer

Thor 2 - 3/5

Competent movie, but it did absolutely nothing for me

D_Bones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Desolation of Smaug today i'd give it 4/5 (but in my rating scale more of a 7.5). It was good and I liked some of the changes from the book but some just seemed unnecessary and the Mirkwood sequence seemed too short to me. I remembered the dread of them being lost and Bombur having to be dragged etc. Anyway Smaug himself was great, loved the expansion of Bard and cant wait for the battle of five armies!!

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was the last James Bond one. I didn't like it. I think maybe I don't actually enjoy watching movies anymore. I used to. Not sure why.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

Does anybody know why The Hobbit opts for the Metal Slug pronunciation of the word "smog"?

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

The last movie I watched was Edward Scissorhands. I've been on a classic Tim Burton thing lately. Man he used to make good movies. Not that long ago either, I mean Big Fish is great!

I give Edward Scissorhands 5 greens out of 16 blues.

That means it holds up. Still good.

EdgeKasey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Punch Drunk Love

4 puddings out of 5

Not sure what it says about Sandler that it takes PTA to unlock him.

neobendez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Paul - Pretty decent movie, had it's silly moments, but all in all a funny comedy with a nice ending. 7.5/10

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#949  Edited By mike

Saw Anchorman 2 today. It had some funny moments and there were some clever callbacks to the original, but it played like a series of SNL skits rather than a full fleshed out movie. 2.5/5 stars. The first Anchorman - 5/5.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Tree of Life. 8 out of 10

I think it looks beautiful (every frame is a well composed photograph) and it's attempt at covering human loss and creation is noble, but it's pretty incoherent. I think it's one of the few movies that could benefit from being much longer. And I'm in luck because Malick is, apparently, prepping a directors cut of the film. I read somewhere that it could be 6 hours, but I dont know if he'll go that far with it.

Also, I appreciate seeing a christian perspective on some of the topics covered in the film. I am not a christian, by I value gaining perspective. It's the reason why I like Malick so much, because his approach is very different than most director, and I think it's because of his religious background.