Rate the last movie you watched.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

What We Do In The Shadows

I really liked it. I quite enjoy genre mockumentaries. This one reminded me of Behind the Mask but a lot more comedy driven.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
deactivated-5a0917a2494ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

Dr. Strange - 2 out of 5 - I was worried about this and my concerns were warranted. It's not a bad movie, it's just a dull and predictable. Also, Mads is wasted in the movie. I'm convinced now that Disney is paying off people to review these movies well because a lot of the recent Marvel films have been horribly overrated.

Ringedwithtile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Got to see a couple of Mizoguchi films on 35mm which was a nice treat. Never been the biggest fan of the guy, but I enjoyed my night. I saw Sisters of the Gion, which I had previously seen and didn't remember liking, and Utamaro and His Five Women which I had never seen.

I appreciated Sisters more so this time, and appreciated the lighter first two acts than I remembered. Utamaro on the other hand ranks pretty high up out of the stuff I've seen from Mizoguchi. Very pleasing and laid-back while still maintaining formal precision.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

I watched a shit ton of movies over my last two days off. So let's get into it:

Commando - watched this with the GB commentary track. I don't think I could have enjoyed this movie half as much with out them. Fun cheesy ride full of great Dan and Drew lines 4/5 (with commentary)

Lethal Weapon - I love Shane Black and this is no exception. Great dialogue, Mel nails the over the edge cop and it has some amazing smokey saxophone all the way through. 5/5 P.S. I tried watching Lethal Weapon 2 (which Shane Black did not write the script to) and I couldn't believe how quickly the series became a caricature of itself. Could not finish it.

I Don't Feel At Home In This World Anymore - nice slow burn thriller. Little clunky at parts, but I absolutely loved the first 30 min. 3/5

The Thing - This movie holds up pretty well, cool practical effects, great opening shots to instill a sense of isolation. There were about 3 times during the film where I asked a character why would you do that? Or why wouldn't you just do this? I understand there is a certain amount of suspension of disbelief needed in movies, but I felt it was asking too much; really took me out of it. 3/5

Blue Ruin - Tense movie that goes some places I would not have guessed. The star of this movie actually directed I Don't Feel At Home... 4/5

Alien - Out of all the old shit I watched I would say this (and Lethal Weapon) holds up the best. Very similar to The Thing but with fewer why wouldn't you just? moments and cool 70's sci-fi made it a great watch. 5/5

Aliens - From everything I heard about this film franchise I expected a lot less of this entry. But I found it really enjoyable. It wasn't nearly as action heavy as I thought it would be. I guess this is where some of the space marine cliches must have originated from, but most were pretty annoying throughout. Sigourney Weaver is absolutely fantastic in this role though. 4/5

I think that is everything I watched. Add in some Enter the Gungeon, Resident Evil 4, and My brother My Brother and Me, and you got a pretty good weekend.

APDLS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3905  Edited By APDLS

Logan - 4.5/5

Exceptional. I was leaning 5 but decided against it as there are some minor issues, but this is still one of the best "superhero" movies ever made. Those quotation marks are warranted as this really defies genre expectations in the way that all of Fox's recent X-Men universe output (except Apocalypse) has been doing. I won't go super in-depth with this one because it's not out in most of the world, but I do want to give some special praise to the performances of the three leads. Patrick Stewart in particular is stellar. "Oscar worthy" is a bit of a cliche, but I think it applies to him.

siegarettes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

last thing I watched was the first live action Parasyte movie. I've exhausted the manga and recent anime so I moved onto that.

it was a decent adaptation with some fantastic visualizations of the grotesque body horror and uncanny people of the manga, with smart changes made to the plot to fit it into the shorter time frame. definitely suffered from not having space to breathe and made emotional beats feel really unearned.

enjoyed it regardless. I give it an aight/hell yeah

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Ascent (1977, USSR)

Holy crap, this was good. One of the best war movies ever.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Listening to an old bombcast led me to watching Videodrome for the first time the other day. What a crazy movie, it's interesting how ahead of his time cronenberg was with his idea on how media shapes and creates reality.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

Just saw Logan. It was freaking awesome. I wouldn't be surprised if it has a couple of oscar nominations. It's the best X-Men film to date and probably the second best comic movie of all time behind The Dark Knight. The character moments stand out. I hope this movie makes a shit load of money, so Fox can continue to allow their film makers to make the film THEY want. 5/5

Inresurrection

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3911  Edited By Inresurrection

The Wailing - Amazing film on so many different levels and one of the best horror movies I've seen in ages. 5/5

Under the Shadow - Another very effective horror film that surprised me. Some really great characters and the movie makes great use of its setting. I might even prefer it to The Babadook. 4.5/5

Ticked - Incredibly creepy and super intense. 4/5

Sam_lfcfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

Just watched Moonlight. It managed to live up to the hype. Fantastic movie that will stick with me for a while.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3913  Edited By monetarydread

@inresurrection: I don't know what to think about Tickled. I loved watching it but the documentary felt uneven and I guessed the big "secret" after the first 10 minutes. The only thing I didn't get was small details like the persons name and family connections.

I still enjoyed watching it and like you said, the film is "creepy and super intense."

Logan - 5/5

• I still haven't fully formed my opinion on the film, but I loved it. The best thing you can say about it is that there is a real serious amount of artistic unity behind the film and you can tell that everyone involved truly wanted to make the best film possible. Maybe the film could have been trimmed a few minutes and I would have liked a clearer definition of what happened to all the mutants (did Xavier kill the mutants, or did Wolverine kill the mutants after being posessed by Xavier (instead of Mysterio making Wolvie hallucinate like in the comics?)).
Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3914  Edited By Ezekiel

The Dark Knight Rises - 7/10

Second time watching this. Liked it. I still think Begins is the best Batman movie.

The alternating aspect ratios don't work for me. It's jarring at times, more so than in TDK. I get why the IMAX scenes are in 16:9, but why didn't he film the rest in the same high ratio?

Whitestripes09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Logan. Not really sure how to rate it to be honest. Probably one of the more emotionally draining movies I've seen in quite awhile, but it was definitely the best possible conclusion to these characters' stories while also being a really good film. I would put it in the same category as the Dark Knight movies where it is more of a drama than a super hero movie. I'll give it a 5/5, but man... I really didn't come out of this movie feeling happy or uplifted.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rock Dog 5/5

BoFooQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Passengers 9/10 I really liked movie more than I would have thought. It does a good job of moving from one focus to another, there are 3 or 4 issues dealt with and each is given enough time without dragging out to long. With no surprise of what I assume was big budget special effects, I thought movie looked fanatic. Passengers may not do anything ground breaking, but it does a top notch job with what its adventure.

Arrival 2/5 I was bored and didn't care for twist.

Moon (2009) 5/5 If you haven't seen moon don't ask anyone about it or look it up just go watch it.

Ford_Dent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2 Fast 2 Furious. Even with the Beast crew along for the ride (I've resolved to follow along with Film and 40s), this is still a very bad and not good film. Why does anyone do ANYTHING in this movie? Probably cause they HONGRY, BRO

5 bros/10 hungry boys

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3919  Edited By hassun

Logan

[In-depth spoiler review first, then a non-spoiler general thoughts bit at the end.]

The biggest criticism I can level against the film can probably be attributed to its limited budget. (I hear that to make it R-rated they had to work with a reduced budget.) Basically the whole more accurate "X-24" clone of Wolverine part wasn't interesting at all. It didn't help they foreshadowed how they would get rid of him way in advance with the adamantium bullet. Some of the abilities/mutations of the children also seemed rather tame or useless considering they were raised as weapons but that's a very minor complaint.

The action itself is good. I was told beforehand that the violence was particularly gruesome but it's not that bad. It's just what it always should have been when you are slashing and stabbing people with indestructible claws. After watching the trailer I was also worried they would use too much wire-fu for the X-23 character but I was pleasantly surprised with her fight choreography. It's fast and vicious and while her foot claws are not used much they are definitely used well the 2ish times they do come into play.

The acting is good to great throughout. Jackman shines in his role as an old, worn down Wolverine who mostly just wants life to be over but sticks around out of obligation for Charles Xavier. Dafne Keen turns in a solid performance as (an at times near-feral) X-23/Laura. Child actors are always a risk but this 11 or 12 year-old didn't disappoint. The rest of the cast performs admirably as well. Patrick Stewart is great as always, Boyd Holbrook does a good job portraying Donald Pierce, Richard E. Grant puts in a solid performance as Zander Rice (although pretty far from his comic book inspiration) and you even get Stephen Merchant as well!

Audiovisually the film is fine as well. Borrowing from the western genre for its style and feel was a solid choice. The action scenes were filmed in a way to make them feel viceral without going to (comical) extremes.

Ultimately, the film really seems to be about two things:

1. The relationship between Wolverine and Professor X
  2. Wolverine finding a worthy cause to die for

Which can then be further condensed into one:

1. Family

I'm happy to report that the film achieves these goals quite well.

A well-acted and reasonably solid film that doesn't aim extremely high but in return nails most of what it's going for. A worthy send-off for Huge Jackedman.

4/5

I hope it does well so other serious R-rated superhero films get another shot at life in a world of extremely sanitized, edgeless, never bad but also rarely (if ever) remarkable factory-assembly-line-produced Disney flicks and whatever garbage WB and the others are producing.

Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

thomasnash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I finally got down to the cinema to see Moonlight tonight. I had high expectations of this one. I've been looking forward to it since October or something. It lived up to them and then some. It's been a while since I saw anything so humane and moving. I wasn't prepared for how visionary the actual cinematography is. It is a poetic film in the best way possible. It is going to stay with me for a long time. Go see it if you like films.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

Just got out of Kong: Skull Island and overall I really enjoyed it. There is some atrocious dialogue in it and some of the characters need work, but it checks everything that it needed to get right. It's a disappointing because of the stacked cast it has (you got Brie Larson just to do that!?!?). Kong shines every time he is on screen and it is a treat to see him kick ass. The movie looks great as well. It's a stark contrast to Gozilla which featured black, gray and red as the primary colors. Kong has bright orange, red and yellow as the main colors and they pop on screen. It really looks amazing.

I think they've set up Godzilla and Kong fairly well, which is maddening because WB can't seem to get DC comics right. I'm excited to see how they pull off this monster movie universe they are attempting to create. Hopefully they continue to take their time unlike with their DC properties.

4/5

master_prophet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 11

Logan: I'd easily give it a 4.5 out of 5 stars. The only thing that brought it down from greatness was an overall plot hole near the end of that film. Other than that, I enjoyed it from beginning to end. Hell of a way to close out a comic book character movie franchise.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

Get Out, easy 5/5

sumo73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Saw "The Great Wall" recently at the cinema which gets a 6/10. I've seen many films from this director which have been good but this film although beautifully shot felt flat at times. Enjoyable anyway.

Watched "Hotel Rwanda" on DVD recently which gets an 8.5/10. Very powerful film which I think more people should know about. This is what happens when big nations let smaller nations fall apart.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore - 5/5

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Logan 5/5 I did not expect to enjoy it as much as I did. All throughout the film I knew where the characters should end up but I never thought they would actually do it. I was very glad to be proven wrong, brilliant ending!

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

Logan. Yo, Logan is dope. It is an excellent package with good drama, action, and acting. 5 out of 5's

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Just got home from La La Land. It was an absolute joy, a delight in every way. It's rare that I feel this strongly about a movie, one of those few that instilled me with a sense that "movie magic" can still exist when you've seen hundreds of movies.

5/5

10/10

100/100

uhtaree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3930  Edited By uhtaree

F&F: Tokyo Drift

(watched it beforehand without the commentary)

Hadn't seen it in a decade and couldn't remember much about it, but turns out that was for good reason. This movie really kinda sucks. I'm still not sure how the kid was expected to attend a Japanese speaking school. I thought the relationship with the Dad was completely undercooked and it served only as a weak impetus to get the movie to Japan. Then, after 1, maybe 2 half-assed relationship building scenes, the father just turns over the keys to an unfinished muscle car that he's had sitting around Tokyo for years so that the son can settle a score with the Yakuza. At very least, there wasn't enough drama with the father after the first incident where the kid doesn't come home right away. Suddenly the kid can just spend hours on end modding cars and traversing the Japanese underworld with no family drama.

To be fair, the rivalries in Japan were reasonably entertaining once they got going, but still stupid. I actually enjoy 2 Fast 2 Furious, so I'm not opposed to stupid, but the well-worn trope of "inter-jurisdictional law enforcement arrangements and the criminals who love them" is a signal to me that I can just hang up my brain and enjoy a movie for the amount of times they say "Bruh" and "Cuz". Something about that is just easier to accept than a high school kid being sent overseas to live with his estranged father in one of the most intimidating cities in the world and falling into an underground/underworld racing scene when the script doesn't earn any of it. Still though, 5/10.
I do find it amazing that I wouldn't give any of these movies a 2/5, 4/10 or lower just based on some combination of action and personality.

My personal ranking of the series now that I've seen/rewatched all of them in the last 2 years or so:

5, 7, 2, 6, 1, 4, 3

The order I might recommend them in terms of supposed quality to a person who had no history with any of the movies:

5, 7, 6, 1, 4, 3, 2

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fury. 3/5 I guess. I didn't enjoy it too much. Pacing was weird and the music seemed over dramatic in a way that wasn't warranted by what was happening on screen.

The final sequence is also pretty silly. The whole thing felt like it was lacking a spark.

Briony88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not a big movie fan, I think the last one I saw was Collateral Beauty... I'd give it 3 out of 5. A nice story, but just a bit mediocre.

Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I actually just got around to watching Zootopia for the first time since it was, to my surprise, on Netflix. It seems to play with your expectations in some really interesting and creative ways and the characters are great.

5/5 :)

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore 4/5

Well, this movie certainly goes...places...

CouldbeRolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jason Bourne

Boy, that was one boring action movie.

2/5

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kung Fury - You don't make a movie just throwing every crazy nonsensical thing at the story. It's not funny.

4/10

nkster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3937  Edited By nkster

Jennifer's Body 4.5/5 (Give it a chance)

Underrated and probably ahead of it's time, dismissed/misunderstood for looking like a Twilight wannabe and the presence of the (at the time) much maligned Megan Fox, and wildly over-hyped as Diablo Cody's follow up to Juno. This is a modern day Fright Night with a lot to say about the dynamics of teen friendship. Megan Fox is actually pretty good, and Amanda Seyfried is great. Fun dialogue and kinda heartfelt, its deservedly gotten a bit of a cult following. Not really a horror movie, more like a modern evolution of 80s Amblin meets Heathers, shocking how many people must've missed this gem. Probably my second favorite Diablo Cody movie, behind Young Adult and actually ahead of Juno (for me).

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3938  Edited By ShaggE

Evil Bong and Evil Bong 2: King Bong - 4/20 and Ayyy/lmao respectively.

I wanted to run a franchise from start to finish again, and I was in the mood for a trashy trainwreck the likes of which only Charles Band and his merry men could deliver. Evil Bong it is, then, and I've made it through two of six(!).

Hoo-ee. They're certainly movies, alright. I can't even pass judgment on them, to be honest. These movies know EXACTLY what they are, and they rise to the task of being movies called "Evil Bong" better than any other. The video and audio are in sync, the actors remember their lines, and the crew remembered to paint almost all of one character's fat suit in the second movie. Don't think I saw a boom mic anywhere, either. (while I joke, know that these are real concerns when watching a Full Moon production)

So, I guess I'll give two distinct ratings: 3.5/5 for people like me that would actually ever watch these. 0.01/5 for everybody else.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fast and the Furious 6/10

2 Fast 2 Furious 4/10

Tokyo Drift 5/10

Though I would rather watch 2 Fast 2 Furious over Tokyo Drift, I gave it a lower score.

HaniHani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sicario 5/5

Great performances. Great soundtrack. Beautifully shot. Drugtrade is a nasty, nasty business.

devise22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3941  Edited By devise22

Rogue One 9/10 probably. I liked it way better than Force Awakens. I thought a couple of the CGI created people during scenes looked a bit off, but I was honestly surprised how much this leads directly into A New Hope. But all in all it actually makes you care about the characters right from the get go, it gives you just enough of who they are to understand that the actual purpose here is more about what they are fighting against. It's got some great cameos too, used very well without being so overwhelming to feel out of place or forced. And without going into spoilers I'd say this film probably features my all time favorite scene including a certain Star Wars character. It's quite literally something to behold. :P

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ferris Bueller's Day Off 2/5

Despite some amusing parts here or there, it's pretty much terrible and only barely makes sense.

Ford_Dent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tokyo Drift: This movie is dumb as hell. 3/5 drifting ballets.

Fast and Furious: This movie is also dumb as hell, but this is the moment where you can see the filmmakers realizing they can make a full-blown franchise out of this nonsense. A little heavy on brooding, but the ending dash through the desert is entertaining as hell. Again, I had the GBeast crew along for the ride which probably made the movie even better than it has a right to be. 3 Vin Diesels/Paul Walker's cop skills.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Deep Impact 4/5

The first half was maybe a little on the slow side, but it gets more interesting towards the end. Also, I think we can all appreciate Morgan Freeman as president.

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Logan 4/5. Great action and acting, some messy plotting but otherwise a very enjoyable watch.

SamanthaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Swiss Army Man was very VERY weird but fun and i rate it a 8/10

There are to many Fart jokes for my liking but some of them are funny.

DarkeyeHails

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kong: Skull Island is a goddamn mess that is surprisingly entertaining. I think the Monsterverse is the dumbest fucking idea but if they have to do it hopefully they can all be short and fun like Kong and not long, dreary shit like Godzilla.

3.5/5 Viet King Kongs

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Tokyo Drift: 4/5 I genuinely enjoyed this film, even without the bombduders talking in my ear.

Fast and Furious: 3/5 Not as good as the previous film, but you can see the future potential of the franchise here.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What We Do in the Shadows

Hilarious, heart warming, darkly humorous mockumentary about a bunch of vampires rooming together in Wellington, New Zealand. I was cracking up from the get-go. The first half hour is a gut-buster a minute. It calms down later on and finds a nice stride between the humor and some genuinely affecting and disgusting moments. 5/5 Werewolves, not Swearwolves.

Arrival

No, not the 90s Charlie Sheen backward-kneed alien flick, the one that came out last year and was robbed of an Oscar. Well, maybe not robbed. It's a genuinely great movie and has one of the - if not the - best twists since The Sixth Sense, but it also has its share of slow moments. Not much happens in the middle of the movie and I can't help but feel it could have benefited from some tighter editing. It's nice to see some smart sci-fi again after the huge lull of the 90s-00s when we got, uhh, I can't think of a good one. When was Children of Men? At least we had some decent Star Trek on TV then. 7/7 heptapods.