• 54 results
mortface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By mortface

..but every time I saw this guy I always thought of this guy. It made the movie a little weird.

StingerMK2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By StingerMK2

i was thinking "Shepard" the whole time, made it a bit weird for me too, i did like the movie though, so at least it has that going for it

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb67033e3422
deactivated-5bb67033e3422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All I kept thinking was ok but why start a new trilogy

hoossy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By hoossy

@mortface: @StingerMK2:

Where/how did you see it already?

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

How was it? 
@hoossy: *whispers* they're pirates.

hoossy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By hoossy

@TheDudeOfGaming:

oh... yeah, I guess I should have thought of that. Fuck copyrights, am I right duders? *half-sarcasm*

BeepBeepBoop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BeepBeepBoop

@hoossy@TheDudeOfGaming: That or they are from the distant land of Europe. Like me. Came out on Friday for us in the UK.

It was pretty darn good for me. Looks beautiful, make me squirm in some scenes. It's a slow film for sure, more about the atmosphere.

Only thing I wasn't too happy about was the kind of unanswered plot details. Also don't read the next bit if you want to see it without exposing yourself to any information (which I recommend is how you see it.)

Kind of screams sequels at the end, also has a pretty decent reveal for any fans of the Alien mythos.
Zlimness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Zlimness

Michael Fassbender looks like a late 90's EBM vocalist and Stringer Bell drives the ship. All in all, a good casting I'd say.

The move looked _spectacular_, there's no other word for it. I loved the first 30 minutes. Great atmosphere and slow, moody pacing. It doesn't fall apart later on, but I think the movie is worse off for the Alien-connection. The audience wants to see monsters, but the filmmakers wanted to make something more philosophical. It ends up being a somewhat pompous sci-fi horror with too few but at least satisfying death scenes. I think it will grow on me, just wish it didn't have anything to do with Alien.

Also, I watched in 3D, but the dark tint of the glasses ruins the lightning :(

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@hoossy said:

In New Zealand we got Avengers 3 weeks early

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By GunslingerPanda

@hoossy said:

It's out in England. I saw it and I came in my pants. I don't even like Alien that much.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11  Edited By dichemstys

I wish it was out here in the US. Why don't all movies release globally on the same date?

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#12  Edited By Castiel

@mortface: Your first link doesn't work for me. I click on it but nothing happens.

Second link works fine though.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By dichemstys

So is it related to Alien or not?

mercutio123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mercutio123

@birdflu777:

It's got "the same DNA" but it's been spun off so it's really not a direct prequel, but more of a series in it's own right

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By dichemstys

I know about the ending, and that's pretty cool. Good enough of a tie in for me.

StingerMK2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By StingerMK2

like people have been saying, its out in the UK, i watched it at the cinema, i really liked it, thought the characters were a bit weak compared to the original trilogy, but it does end up asking MUCH bigger questions of the universe and the series on the whole and i genuinely believe it is the best possible way for the series continue in the modern age, it would straight up just be a bad film if they tried to recreate Alien/Aliens but with a modern aesthetic, it makes TOTAL sense why they wanted to move away from the Alien name because the film felt very different

there is blatantly going to be a sequel if this does the business (and judging by the queues at the cinema, it will do) and i am very much looking forward to it

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By myke_tuna

Let me get this out of the way: Jump scares. How many? I am a sucker and a pansy for jump scares. That said, I'm still going to go see it regardless of the amount. Movie looks like it'll be interesting at the very least.

Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

Did you see in 3D? If so how was it, I only bother seeing movies in theaters these days if they got good 3D as I can easily wait for the Blu Ray and watch in 1080p with DTS surround.

BeepBeepBoop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BeepBeepBoop

@myketuna: I'd say 3 or 4. Most are pretty obvious, so really wouldn't worry about it too much.

Zlimness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Zlimness

@myketuna said:

Let me get this out of the way: Jump scares. How many? I am a sucker and a pansy for jump scares. That said, I'm still going to go see it regardless of the amount. Movie looks like it'll be interesting at the very least.

You'll see most of it coming, so it's not bad. If you're squeamish, the death scenes are pretty graphic though.

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

Did you see in 3D? If so how was it, I only bother seeing movies in theaters these days if they got good 3D as I can easily wait for the Blu Ray and watch in 1080p with DTS surround.

The 3D was actually pretty good. It was mostly tasteful stuff. You get a POV from a person in a spacesuit, and the HUD looks awesome. It's mostly stuff like that. You could watch in 2D and wouldn't know it also looks just as natural in 3D. But as I pointed out earlier, the lightning in this movie is amazing, and with dark tinted 3D glasses, it looks a lot worse. There's absolutely nothing wrong with how this movie looks in any way. It's simply gorgeous to look at. Watching it in the cinema is highly recommended.

CountPickles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By CountPickles

@birdflu777: this is the final minute of the film. watch at your own risk. and, watch before it gets taken down.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#22  Edited By big_jon

Lame, I was hoping for this guys thoughts on the movie, but instead it's another creepy lookalike thread.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By dichemstys

That ending is awesome?

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By myke_tuna

Thanks, everyone who answered my question. My body is now ready.

Ninja_Welshman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Ninja_Welshman

Saw it last night and didn't like it much at all.

Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@KatyGaGa: Why would you post that!

mortface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By mortface

@hoossy: It's out in London, I didn't realise it wasn't out everywhere else. Sorry!

mortface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By mortface

@TheDudeOfGaming: Nope! Saw it at the cinema in London yesterday. It was a mixed bag, but thoroughly worth seeing. Michael Fassbender is, as always, amazing and so is Noomi Rapace, but I worry that she is becoming typecast as girl that horrible things happen to.

CountPickles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By CountPickles

@Bourbon_Warrior: because I can, Bourbon_Warrior. Because. I. Can.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By NTM

@hoossy: It's out in the UK I believe, it's comes out here in the U.S. after.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By NTM

@Zlimness: I want to see it because of the connection, and if it doesn't clearly connect, I'll be kind of disappointed. Like if in the end I'm thinking "OK, how the fuck did this happen? And that happen!? What the hell man." I'll be mad until the sequel. I don't really watch the Alien films because of the monsters, they're just there to make it more interesting and intense. I care for the characters, the setting, and the story, not just because it's a monster movie, a horror movie, or an action film. I do watch it because it's a great sci-fi though.

mercutio123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By mercutio123

@NTM: Yeah the lore is really what I went to see this film for, but there is a lot of stuff thats kind of "will somebody please explicitly explain this shit?!", but they also have a couple of distinctly Alien moments that make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside...until your chest bursts open

Zlimness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Zlimness

@NTM: The movie is clearly set in the same universe. But other than that, Prometheus's connection to the rest of the Alien movies are loose. The few references they cram in are not very subtle though. I'm not going to spoil anything, but if you know some of the key moments from the Alien movies, you'll probably go "Ah, I remember that" in Prometheus. The story isn't the strongest part of the movie. You have a couple of moments with heavy exposition, that we unfortunately need because it's hard to figure who's doing what and for what reason. Sometimes it feels like the movie is missing scenes. Characters in the movie will no apparent reason know a lot more about what's going on than the audience. So you will probably think "huh?" and "what?" a few times.

The mood and atmosphere is pretty awesome. Everything about the movie feels strange and alien. The opening part is etched into my brain. It's probably the thing I'll remember most of all as time passes. It might end up as a bit of an action romp, but it has some awesome and strange bits that make it worth a watch.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#34  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

@Zlimness said:

@NTM: The movie is clearly set in the same universe. But other than that, Prometheus's connection to the rest of the Alien movies are loose. The few references they cram in are not very subtle though. I'm not going to spoil anything, but if you know some of the key moments from the Alien movies, you'll probably go "Ah, I remember that" in Prometheus. The story isn't the strongest part of the movie. You have a couple of moments with heavy exposition, that we unfortunately need because it's hard to figure who's doing what and for what reason. Sometimes it feels like the movie is missing scenes. Characters in the movie will no apparent reason know a lot more about what's going on than the audience. So you will probably think "huh?" and "what?" a few times.

The mood and atmosphere is pretty awesome. Everything about the movie feels strange and alien. The opening part is etched into my brain. It's probably the thing I'll remember most of all as time passes. It might end up as a bit of an action romp, but it has some awesome and strange bits that make it worth a watch.

That's good enough for me. I'm sure I'll love it.

ztiworoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ztiworoh

@mortface: My wife has seen none of the Alien movies - will she get anything out of this movie if we go see it?

FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By FengShuiGod

Movie wasn't that great. I had hoped for more thematic material, but instead I got a well produced thing with a weak story that implies there will be more...meh.

mortface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By mortface

@Zlimness said:

I entirely agree.

I think the first 45 minutes of the movie is utterly spectacular. I'm tempted to go see it again (maybe IMAX?) just for the first half.

mercutio123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By mercutio123

@ztiworoh: The ties are loose enough that it shouldn't be a problem, if she gets the basic concept of what the aliens are etc. should be pretty easy to explain

uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By uniform

The film board I post on has nothing but negative reactions. It's supposedly a very mediocre film, not because it comes with expectations, rather it just isn't a very well-written script. Script contains a lot of laughable dialog for some of these great actors to try and work with. Disheartening, as I've hyped myself up for this picture for quite a while now. I'm still looking forward to seeing it. It's supposed to be very entertaining with some great eye candy.

Avatar image for chocolaterhinovampire
chocolaterhinovampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

I AM PUMPED FOR THIS MOVIE.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#41  Edited By Hizang

The guy who gets killed first reminded me of Bard Muir!

ShadowVirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

#42  Edited By ShadowVirus

@Hizang said:

The guy who gets killed first reminded me of Bard Muir!

I totally saw thought that as well.

Also, I just saw the film today and am not ashamed to say I had to walk out after a certain very intense scene, came back after I got some air but missed a bit of the film.

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By VierasTalo

Glad to see some people enjoying it. I mostly found it tired and overall very Ridley Scott-ish, as the man's work for the last 30 years (sheesh, Blade Runner is old) has been more or less good looking mediocrity. I did like the sets though. Now there's a compliment I haven't had to make to a movie in a long while because I couldn't think of much else positive to say.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#44  Edited By Hizang

@ShadowVirus: The birth part?

ShadowVirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

#45  Edited By ShadowVirus

@Hizang said:

@ShadowVirus: The birth part?

Yup.

thomasnash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By thomasnash

@uniform: Saw it last night, and this is how I felt about it. In terms of plot it's all over the place, and the pacing is bizarre, mostly due to the lack of any sustained kind of threat; smaller threats pop up and then disappear into the ether without really being used to their fullest potential. This is perhaps less than surprising from a writer of Lost...

As for the thematic content; it certainly has "big" ideas going on, mostly centred on the relationship between creators and their creations, and it pops up in at least one interesting way I suppose, but the script seems so concerned with showing us multiple different types of this relationship that it never seems to get round to saying anything about it. Worse than this is that the themes never really find traction in the plot, so that the bulk of the thematic content is essentially delivered to us through dialogue which is full of clangers, either from a point of view of logical consistency or just a "who talks like that?" level.

The characters are dull and crudely sketched, for the most part. Even Noomi Rapace's heroine is a bit of a cipher to attach "big ideas" to. The only character of any substance is Fassbender's David, and even the good work with his character is burned up a bit by some of the stuff he does/says towards the end of the film.

It's a shame really, I do think that all of the problems are script level, because the acting is all pretty damn good, with one exception (Guy Pearce), it does look absolutely amazing, and it is full of amazingly done moments, full of tension and visceral horror and brilliant performances and squeam-inducing gore. It's just that these moments don't really hang together in a particularly interesting way.

Edit: Also I agree with the person saying that the Alien connection is probably detrimental to the film. Not only does it mean that the film teeters on the edge of fanservice at times, but it feels like the thing that ought to be at the centre of the film (Fassbender) is sidelined and underdeveloped.

It also engenders statements like "Ridley Scott returns to Alien" and "It shares its DNA with Alien" neither of which or true. Alien has returned to Ridley Scott but his DNA as a filmmaker is totally different now. This film has far more in common with Gladiator, Kingdom of Heaven and (I'm making an assumption here) Robin Hood than it does with Alien, so a lot of what you think about it depends on how you feel about those films. Personally I think on a technical level he still knows what he's doing, but his later films (and this one) are far flabbier than they should be.

It doesn't give me much hope for the Blade Runner sequel, anyway.

BlatantNinja23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By BlatantNinja23

after seeing Shame I'm not so sure I can look at Michael Fassbender the same again... but hey can't wait to see this in IMAX this weekend

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By NTM

There was only one scene in which I thought this, it was when he was taking off his helmet to see if he can breath the air, and when he grinned it reminded me of Vinny.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Dany

@BlatantNinja23 said:

after seeing Shame I'm not so sure I can look at Michael Fassbender the same again... but hey can't wait to see this in IMAX this weekend

I know. I love him the fassboner even more now. Dude can do no wrong.

megatronicles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By megatronicles

Too many characters, badly written, incoherent, uneven pacing. Man, I was so excited for this.

I hope Scott doesn't screw up Blade Runner in the same way; he needs a better writer.