the ridiculous "potato salad" kickstarter

• 179 results
coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I think the project is funny, I also think that that guy is fucked trying to fulfill those backer rewards. Would have been a good case for like, a maximum amount, which is something I think would be good to have on crowdfunding sites.

ChrisTaran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

I hope that guy is prepared to make a of potato salad.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I had no idea this thing even existed. This is fantastic, I'm gonna throw in 5 bucks, just to spite all the people bitching about it.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

This really is the wrong site to complain about it, considering Ryan's long history of throwing up the middle finger at complaints like this by A) making a joke kickstarter himself, B) Literally burning money, C) Flushing a whole pie down a toilet and mocking the people saying it was a waste, and D) Sitting naked on a cake.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

This potato salad doesn't even tell me where John Drake is

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this whole "joke" is too "LOL RANDOM" for me. its lazy humour.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@spraynardtatum said:

This is kind of funny to me but I think it's annoying when people make other people feel bad because they've gotten upset about something. This is obviously 100% stupid. Anyone defending this is just as dumb as the person who's upset about it. Max Temkins tweets about how "there are more important things in the world to get upset about" is just idiotic high and mighty bullshit. If he felt that way he never would have tweeted it in the first place because the only thing less important than this potato salad kickstarter is the fact that some people don't think it's funny.

Is your thesis that the people who make people who make people feel bad, feel bad, should feel bad?

I would suggest that the people who make people who make people who make people feel bad, feel bad, feel bad, should feel bad.

Crembaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spraynardtatum said:

This is kind of funny to me but I think it's annoying when people make other people feel bad because they've gotten upset about something. This is obviously 100% stupid. Anyone defending this is just as dumb as the person who's upset about it. Max Temkins tweets about how "there are more important things in the world to get upset about" is just idiotic high and mighty bullshit. If he felt that way he never would have tweeted it in the first place because the only thing less important than this potato salad kickstarter is the fact that some people don't think it's funny.

Is your thesis that the people who make people who make people feel bad, feel bad, should feel bad?

I would suggest that the people who make people who make people who make people feel bad, feel bad, feel bad, should feel bad.

Well now I feel bad.

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is this technically allowed on Kickstarter? According to one of the reporting options on Kickstarter, a project "must have a plan for creating something and sharing it with the world." He's not exactly sharing it with the world, just the few backers that donated and whoever can go to whatever party hall he's supposedly rented out.

I think it's stupid, and even though people are free to do what they wish with their own money, I wish this didn't get as much attention as it has. Also, Max Temkin needs to get off his high and mighty horse and realize people can be upset about a whole list of different things. Just because he thinks it's stupid shouldn't invalidate a person's critique of something else. That's a slippery slope, and probably something that could backfire on him.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Many people here need to chill out. This is just another example of the Internet as a whole being random, prone to easy jokes and unpredictable...

I get that some people might get confused about the use other people do to their money, but this is hardly the place to get pissed off about it. This is a gaming site and a gaming forum: it is trivial by design. For every post in this forum about "they should give the money to the poor", there are hundreds about paying real money for some random early access junk.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

It's dumb, but this is the internet.

I won't back because I don't like the word "potato" or especially the word "salad." Not that I'd back this sort of thing, anyway.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By spraynardtatum

@brodehouse said:

@spraynardtatum said:

My thesis is that people who make people that feel bad, feel worse, should feel dumb.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

I don't see why anyone is getting upset about anything here. People spent money on a stupid thing. Big deal.

thornie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really hope he donates that money to a hunger charity. If not, well... Make the potato salad and return the rest of the money.

thomasnash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is this technically allowed on Kickstarter? According to one of the reporting options on Kickstarter, a project "must have a plan for creating something and sharing it with the world." He's not exactly sharing it with the world, just the few backers that donated and whoever can go to whatever party hall he's supposedly rented out.

I think it's stupid, and even though people are free to do what they wish with their own money, I wish this didn't get as much attention as it has. Also, Max Temkin needs to get off his high and mighty horse and realize people can be upset about a whole list of different things. Just because he thinks it's stupid shouldn't invalidate a person's critique of something else. That's a slippery slope, and probably something that could backfire on him.

Indeed the fact that it is stupid is probably at the heart of the critique, isn't it?

Skywarpgold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

VoodooTatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How about we all stop caring so much about what other people do and look at our own lives first. I mean really is this something to get worked up about? Other people willingly paying someone for an on going joke about potato salad is far from the most pressing issue of the day.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How about we all stop caring so much about what other people do and look at our own lives first. I mean really is this something to get worked up about? Other people willingly paying someone for an on going joke about potato salad is far from the most pressing issue of the day.

How about we all just stop caring so much in general? Repress your feelings because they don't matter!

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

The only thing dumber than this Kickstarter is someone actually getting upset about it.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the project is funny, I also think that that guy is fucked trying to fulfill those backer rewards. Would have been a good case for like, a maximum amount, which is something I think would be good to have on crowdfunding sites.

They have maximum amounts; often games will set limits to things like "donate $250 to have an NPC named after you" because they don't want to make 2342 NPCs, obviously. I just don't think the dude expected it to get this huge. I saw it on Sunday before it was making the rounds on twitter or the news or anything and he was only at like $3,400.

Also I think the idea that all my extra money each month should go to charity is hiiiiiiilarious. Fuck me, guess I should stop buying all these video games and clothes and going out and shit, right?

On a more general note, I just love how FUCKING FLIP A TABLE AND BREAK SHIT FURIOUS everybody gets about nearly everything on the internet nowadays. It's like there's a quota that you have to categorically lose your shit over at least one thing a day or you aren't truly using the internet.

I just... I don't know, man. I don't remember the last time I was angry about something on the internet. Just... step outside. Close the tab. Find something else to do. Do you not have other things you do during the day with which to occupy your time? At this point I get more angry (and baffled?) about the people who are constantly just mad about every single little thing that happens. I never post about it, though. I sit here, read through a thread until people are so illogical and unreasonable that I feel my blood start to boil, and then I close the tab and never click that thread again. It isn't that hard, guys.

Max Temkin was right.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

I could improve the quality of my life drastically and still have enough to live off of for a year(more than I make annually at the moment, actually!) with what he has raised for potato salad.

Then why don't you just call it potato salad?

SomberOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

This kickstarter got me thinking. I'm now wondering if I can make a successful kickstarter for getting my tattoos removed. I think it's a more of a reasonable idea than potato salad for crowd funding

I'm seriously considering this.

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Once I met a man who said: "I would be rich beyond my wildest dreams, if I only could underestimate people." Truth of his words echo here. Only thing bothering me is that I did not come up with this - I like potato salad and money.

jadegl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By jadegl
coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@coaxmetal said:

They have maximum amounts; often games will set limits to things like "donate $250 to have an NPC named after you" because they don't want to make 2342 NPCs, obviously. I just don't think the dude expected it to get this huge. I saw it on Sunday before it was making the rounds on twitter or the news or anything and he was only at like $3,400.

Also I think the idea that all my extra money each month should go to charity is hiiiiiiilarious. Fuck me, guess I should stop buying all these video games and clothes and going out and shit, right?

I meant a maximum total funding amount (e.g., once this project reaches $200, it is automatically funded and no more money can be added).

On another note, projects for charity are actually against the kickstarter rules, apparently. The potato salad isn't really breaking any of their rules, but if the money was for a charity, it would be. Which is kinda funny.

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Receive a potato salad themed hat...

Hmmmmm.

Huey2k2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I harbour no ill will towards the man who started the kickstarter.

Should it be making any money?

Nope.

But hey, if people want to throw their money away at something as dumb as this, that is their prerogative.

People can and will spend their money in whatever dumb way they please. You all may as well get used to it.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

I find the whole idea hilarious and I love that this is succeeding the way it is. That being said, I do not appreciate Temkin's need to step in with self-righteousness.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By BradBrains

is this one of those things were the people reacting to the reactions is way more angry?

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yet another "very funny" Kickstarter, eh? Good. *claps*

Ugh...

I can understand people who get angry or sad that a dude who put almost zero effort into something really retarded is getting a ridiculous amount of money for it. But at the same time, feeling bad about this is useless. People are dumb and this was the case since forever, so your anger is not gonna change the status quo.

The best thing you can do, for your own sake, is to just let it flow through you. The sensation you will get when you realize you mentally conquered this utterly idiotic thing will be far more rewarding.

thomasnash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@coaxmetal said:

On a more general note, I just love how FUCKING FLIP A TABLE AND BREAK SHIT FURIOUS everybody gets about nearly everything on the internet nowadays. It's like there's a quota that you have to categorically lose your shit over at least one thing a day or you aren't truly using the internet.

I just... I don't know, man. I don't remember the last time I was angry about something on the internet. Just... step outside. Close the tab. Find something else to do. Do you not have other things you do during the day with which to occupy your time? At this point I get more angry (and baffled?) about the people who are constantly just mad about every single little thing that happens. I never post about it, though. I sit here, read through a thread until people are so illogical and unreasonable that I feel my blood start to boil, and then I close the tab and never click that thread again. It isn't that hard, guys.

Max Temkin was right.

1) I don't think anyone is "flip a table and break shit furious." In fact that appears to be a general theme in people reacting to people reacting - they assume the initial reaction (which generally appears to range from "smh" to "maybe we should look at ourselves" is extreme and looking to forcefully limit other people's freedoms. Very few people seem to be engaging with the question of whether it is justifiable to spend money on this Obviously no one wants to take the money back, because that would be impossible. But sometimes things happen and it seems sensible that when things happen we view that as an opportunity for reflection on moral calibration.

2) No one is saying that all your disposable income has to go to charity, but the mind does boggle that our income is so disposable that we are literally spending it to create nothing.

2) Does anyone else think that this "this is the internet" reaction seem like an attempt at disassociation, as if because it happens on the internet this isn't real money, now going to a real person to make potato salad, in a world where that money could go to help people. Saying "it's the internet" is just saying "that's people" - no shit, maybe it's ok to ask whether that should be people.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thomasnash: there hasn't been any outrage outside of people saying "thats pretty stupid". I think some people on the internet like to feel more "Edgy" than the actually are.

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you think about it most Kickstarters are a waste of money. I've never been satisfied with one yet (except for the one for my coworker to put on a production which was pretty cool).

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkstalker said:

@thomasnash: there hasn't been any outrage outside of people saying "thats pretty stupid". I think some people on the internet like to feel more "Edgy" than the actually are.

Internet people are basically the newage hipster.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Does anyone here share my utter disgust about this thing? People are throwing money at this because its "sooo funny" and "sooo ironic."I think its completely sad.

but at least they are doing it ironically. There are people who buy games with randomly triggered encounters and they do it not out of irony but because they actually think random encounters are acceptable.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i got a mild chuckle out of this. And good for that dude making a dumb joke kickstarter and making a shitload of money. Good for him/her.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

The idea that people seem to have about this Kickstarter directly taking money away from more important things, such as charities or people in need, is ridiculous. If someone had intended to spend their donation on something more noble, they would have. Instead it went towards potato salad. End of story.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't decide whether I should donate my money to cancer research or this.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Nope. Sure it's silly and dumb, but I don't really care about the dumb things people take an interest in and support unless it is somehow hurting someone else.

The money contributed to this doesn't affect other people or causes in need of money. They were never going to get this money, so there's no real point in bringing it up.

wrecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stupid, funny and kind of sad. Clones incoming.

Relevant...

Loading Video...
leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Quite pleased I have no fucking idea what this is about and, AND, I can spell portetao..

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truthtellah: Or he could make a potato salad truly worthy of whatever amount he manages to accumulate by the end.

Of course, he could also just buy $35,000+ worth of potatoes and make a salad.

I'd rather see him make the most expensive potato salad ever. Use some La Bonnotte potatoes which can sell for $322/lb. Maybe use some black truffles.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

I think it's a bit ridiculous.

Avatar image for deactivated-62f93c42ce57b
deactivated-62f93c42ce57b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the patato typo has been resolved for all of you who could not get past it.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I don't think it's very funny but I don't find it aggravating in any way.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Which of these is more ridiculous:

Someone crowdfunding their potato salad?

Spelling it "patato salad"?

The internet getting vehement about a dumb joke?

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I think people have forgotten what the value of a dollar is.

ichthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's so dumb I can't even get mad at it. But I do find it weird how the amount keep bouncing up and down. It was at $30k, went up to $60k, and is now back down to $45k. I mean what is even happening.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By Ares42

I think people have forgotten what the value of a dollar is.

No, they haven't. It's just that when your potential audience is magnified by the internet that 0.00001% turns into a much bigger number.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a4ea8fdbe490
deactivated-5a4ea8fdbe490

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't get the anger. People read the kickstarter, and some chose to donate money to it. Is it absurd? Yes. Is it funny? Without a doubt. I work hard for my money, I can spend it however I want. Now I didn't donate to the kickstarter, but if I chose to because I wanted to salute the guy for a funny idea, that's my decision. Having money to waste doesn't make you a bad person. Where does my need to donate end? I can't buy Dunkin Donuts anymore because people are starving? I can't buy video games because some people can't afford shoes? I'm sorry that the world is like that, and I'm extremely grateful everyday that I am not in those terrible positions, but I will not feel bad about living my life and spending my money how I feel.

I say way to go to Potato Salad Guy, and salute him for making (intentionally or not) statement about kickstarter.