What is your favorite Stanley Kubrick film?

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 32

Edited By sgtsphynx  Moderator

Poll What is your favorite Stanley Kubrick film? (251 votes)

Killer's Kiss 0%
The Killing 1%
Paths of Glory 2%
Spartacus 2%
Lolita 0%
Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb 23%
2001: A Space Odyssey 19%
A Clockwork Orange 10%
Barry Lyndon 2%
The Shining 23%
Full Metal Jacket 9%
Eyes Wide Shut 3%
I haven't seen any Kubrick films/show me the results 7%

It is definitely Dr. Strangelove for me. Peter Sellers is outstanding in it, and George C. Scott quite often steals the scenes he is in. It's just a phenomenal film.

• 
liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

Barry Lyndon all dayyy

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

It's a three way tie between Dr. Strangelove, This Shining, and Full Metal Jacket. If I have to choose one, I guess I'll pick The Shining.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The Shining. It would be Full Metal Jacket if it wasn't for the second half of that movie being so boring and overshadowed by the amazing first half.

spamfromthecan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

This is very hard to decide. The only thing I can say with any certainty, is Eyes Wide Shut is my least favorite. Not that I hate it, but of all the films, its the one I care for the least.

MeMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Loading Video...

GuitarGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By GuitarGod

the shining is one of my favorite films of all time

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dr. Strangelove is the only one I really like honestly. I don't think Kubrick's library is really my taste overall. But to be fair, I haven't seen a lot of them.

Max_Cherry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Max_Cherry

This is going to be a tight race between Dr.Strangelove and The Shining.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#9 sgtsphynx  Moderator

@max_cherry: You're probably right. I was expecting FMJ to do better but I can understand it flagging given I have the same opinion of it as @bonorbitz

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

I have only seen 3 of his films unfortunately. The shining, a clockwork orange and full metal jacket. I can't say I have a favorite of the three, but if I have to say which was the most enjoyable to watch then I'd say the latter. The two former are very hard to watch films, not in the sense of the their quality, but rather their lumbering ominous tone. I would gladly watch FMJ again at some point, but I'm totally fine never seeing the other two ever again. And again, I don't mean this sentiment as a knock against them or anything. Just a personal preference. I totally recognize their quality.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ripelivejam

Not a real movie guy in general, but 2001 is my favorite movie of all time. The wonder, splendor, immensity, bleakness, and possibility of the universe in movie form. Pure poetry.

n00bs7ay3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've only ever seen the Shining.

StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By StrikeALight

Dr Strangelove is my favourite, and his best film, IMO.

Probably seen each of his films at least half a dozen times, with a viewing of The Shining almost becoming an annual habit.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2001: A Space Odyssey may be my current favorite.

DeepSpace9MM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

It's probably a little cliche, but I have to say 2001. I adore Dr. Strangelove though, and one of these days I'll get around to watching the Barry Lyndon blu-ray that's been sitting on my shelf for the past 2 years.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a huge sci-fi fan, it'd be 2001. That is a phenomenal movie in my opinion and it still impresses me even today. I also really liked Eyes Wide Shut, and the Shining is pretty good too. I would say I didn't care for Dr. Strangelove, but I 'saw' it at a time when I wasn't even into 2001 (that said, I fell asleep through both in high school!) I, however, didn't like A Clockwork Orange and I didn't love Full Metal Jacket either, that was okay I suppose.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have still never seen 2001. By default I have to say Full Metal Jacket because that's the only one of his films I have seen that I actually like.

I have seen The Shining, Clockwork Orange, Eyes Wide Shut and Full Metal Jacket.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People should watch room 237 it's really mind boggling. Gave me a other view on the shining. I recently watched eyes wide shut and that movie feels incomplete even for a almost 3 hour long movie.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

@liquiddragon said:

Barry Lyndon all dayyy

Barry Lyndon is actually very underrated. I adore all of Kubrick's work, but I'd still have to lean towards 2001 as my favorite.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Judging from this list I haven't seen very many Kubrick films. Of the ones I've seen (The Shining, Clockwork Orange, and Full Metal Jacket), I'll choose The Shining. It's one of my favorite movies. I need to put 2001 and Dr. Strangelove on my short list of things to watch.

owack6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Paths of glory.

Probably one of the best war movie ever made. The ending is just devastating and get me every time.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

It depends on the day you ask me. It's very close between Dr.Strangelove, The Shinning and Full Metal Jacket. Today I picked Strangelove. Killer's Kiss, The Killing and Spartacus are the only ones I haven't seen.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@isomeri: I think maybe not as many people have seen it 'cause the premise is a bit mundane compare to his other films but that's also why I find it easier to revisit. It's probably his funniest one as well. I enjoy most his work equally but wanted to put it out there 'cause more people should give it a shot. Spartacus and Lolita I just don't think quite competes. Haven't seen Killer's Kiss.

RetroMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Moon Landing

Avatar image for deactivated-61356eb4a76c8
deactivated-61356eb4a76c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Paths of Glory is the best of the ones I've seen followed by Barry Lyndon and Clockwork Orange.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Paths of Glory by a lot, Shining/Strangelove tie for second.

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Strangelove by a hair. I also really like Full Metal Jacket and the Shining. 2001 is horribly overrated, though. Most boring 2+ hours of my life.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#29  Edited By Castiel

Stanley Kubrick is one of my all time favorite directors so choosing my favorite movie of his is quite difficult and I guess my answer could change depending on the day you ask me.

There are four movies that comes to my mind as my favorites: Paths of Glory, Dr. Strangelove, Clockwork Orange and The Shining.

In the end I chose Clockwork Orange since it was the first Kubrick movie I ever saw. I was probably around 15 years old when I saw it. I had never seen, and still haven't, seen anything quite like it. It blew my teenage mind. It's both a funny, dark and disturbing movie all in one.

I'm growing more and more fond of Barry Lyndon. Barry Lyndon could end up being one of my favorite movies. It's so beautiful and a technical marvel in terms of cinematography.

Strangely enough the only Kubrick movie I don't really like is 2001. I have seen the movie 4-5 times by now and I can appreciate it from a technical, science-fiction and film historic perspective. It might be one of the most influential movies ever made. How many times haven't a Hal-9000 like AI been copied in other movies throughout the years? So I can respect the movie and its place in film history but I also find the movie boring to watch.

I always feel weird saying that since Kubrick is one of my all time favorites. Perhaps I will give 2001 another chance some years in the future.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

I voted for A Clockwork Orange, but it's also the only one I've seen so perhaps I should have abstained from the vote.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#31  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

I'll have to say 2001, though I also love The Shining and A Clockwork Orange. 2001 is something absolutely special though.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#32  Edited By ArtisanBreads

The Shining for me. Just love so many parts of that movie, from the shots he uses (the bike shot and the opening) to the hidden messages and possible readings. Scatman! There is such a sense of dread and horror just beyond your view (or in the past) in that movie. So great.

On the very shortlist for greatest movies for me.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@soulcake said:

People should watch room 237 it's really mind boggling. Gave me a other view on the shining.

Yeah it's great if you're into that sort of thing. To me it brought me back to breaking down novels and doing readings of them for college (or some films, did take a film class or two). And it's cool that the movie has enough depth and things going on to support that because many movies don't so much.

Also enjoy the format of that doc and how they kind of just presented all these readings without even needing to force some overarching narrative or something. Good production on that one.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dr. Strangelove, with Full Metal Jacket a relatively close second. I've never been especially gaga over Kubrick's films but even when I don't enjoy them they never fail to be impressive.

@castiel: I have the exact same take on 2001...I really respect it but I have never personally enjoyed it. I've got a similar relationship with the Souls games.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I will give some recognition to the 1962 Lolita. A very tough subject but done by a remarkable cast - James Mason, Shelley Winters, Sue Lyon and Peter Sellers. In the titular role was Sue Lyon who lead an interesting life, but suffered from the notoriety of that same role.

bawbalewie1314

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haven't seen enough of his films to form an opinion.

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Full Metal Jacket and 2001 I felt kinda strange about because they're almost like 2+ movies wrapped into a single movie. 2001 especially which has like 3-4 distinct parts. Admittedly I've never seen the whole thing since it's very long and plodding. Full Metal Jacket definitely also has two distinct parts from what I remember, but I also watched it when I was sick in bed one time so I wasn't paying a ton of attention. I like The Shining, but I also really like Clockwork Orange. Both are really good adaptions of the books. But I also just like the really strange world that Clockwork Orange sets up. It was also the first Kubrick movie I saw and I saw it when I was a teenager so that might be a contributing factor as well. I remember enjoying Dr. Strangelove too but wasn't too drawn in by it. The others I haven't seen.

jiggajoe14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Clockwork Orange though I really need to rewatch Barry Lydon sometime.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tough choice, but I guess it goes Dr. Strangelove -> 2001 -> Full Metal Jacket -> Paths of Glory for me.

I acknowledge The Shining is a great movie, but it's not my thing.

Avatar image for rhombus_of_terror
Rhombus_Of_Terror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

More people need to see Barry Lyndon.

GalacticPunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#41  Edited By GalacticPunt

My vote is for Clockwork Orange. Though every single Kubrick movie starting with The Killing has their merits.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My problem with Full Metal Jacket is how the film takes a dive after boot camp. Strangelove all the way.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Next to Jaws, my two favorite films are 2001 and Eyes Wide Shut. I *think* I like 2001 better but I'm not sure.