When you say "a couple" do you mean two or do you mean a few

• 69 results
FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll When you say "a couple" do you mean two or do you mean a few (396 votes)

I'm an intellectual and I mean it as two of said thing 75%
I'm a lowly peasant who means it as a general small/medium amount of said thing 25%

When I was little, I would often use "a couple" to describe a small or medium amount of something. Like, say I've only seen some romantic comedies but not a lot. I'd say "I've seen a couple romantic comedies." That's not true though because couple means two. This is what the word means.

So do you use it the right way or the wrong way? I still see people using "a couple" to describe a few of a thing and not two of a thing.

• 
Avatar image for deactivated-629fb02f57a5a
deactivated-629fb02f57a5a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

A couple can mean just "a small number" depending on context. Generally I'll use it to mean two though, and use "few" for "a small number".

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I usually try to intend it as a group of two things. But I'm sure I've used it differently a few times.

DJMoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A couple can mean just "a small number" depending on context. Generally I'll use it to mean two though, and use "few" for "a small number".

BladedEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Just One" means 1

"A couple, a duo, a pair," means 2

"a few, just a bit, not too much" means 3-4

"several, plenty, a handful" means 5-7

"A whole bunch, over do it, lots and lots, go overboard" means 8+

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Context is always important, but for my part I don't recall using "couple" for anything other than "two".

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

where's the option for depends on context

elmorales94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I use it incorrectly on occasion, but it's always purposeful--sort of as an ironic understatement. For example, my friends are arguing about an obscure video game thing and they know I play a ton video games. Maybe one of them says "Hey, man you play video games, right?" To this I might reply "Yeah, I've played a couple of those."

When I'm not being a smarmy ass, I exclusively use "couple" to refer to two items of a group.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Around 2, but not necessarily exactly 2. If I wanted to be that precise I would just say "two" so there's no chance for confusion.

Even if you may be technically correct, if you say you want a "couple" of something when you actually mean exactly two then it's your own damn fault if you don't end up with exactly two.

Cagliostro88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Cagliostro88

Context sensitive, especially when translated in my mother-tounge (we use what literally would translate in english to "pair" more than "couple", the latter is used only in card games and when indicating two linked individuals/things). Examples: if I say "let's have a couple drinks more" i'm actually saying a few more; if i say "let's wait a couple hours" i mean around two hours.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

I think I've used "couple" to mean more than 2 a couple of times. A couple of times. A couple of times. A couple of times.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

As a kid I always said a couple meaning a few. Now that I’m 30 I’ve tried to stay on track and keep it to meaning 2.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

A couple objectively means two and if you've ever used it to mean more than that specific number you're doing it wrong, son.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By TheHT

I was a lowly peasant I was, but now I'm a proper intellectual I is.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I mean specifically two I say two, If I just want a small amount but I don't really care either way I'll say couple or few or whatever.

I will trust that most people will understand contextually what is appropriate.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

A couple is two. A couple is two people. If two things are together, they are coupled.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I usually try to intend it as a group of two things. But I'm sure I've used it differently a few times.

hrairoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You can use "a couple" to mean "a small number" if it's a casual conversation and the number doesn't actually matter. "Oh yeah, I've seen a couple of those Marvel movies, they're pretty good." It doesn't matter if you've seen exactly 2 or 3 or 4, the point of the statement is your opinion about the films, not the number you've seen. If specificity matters, then "a couple" means two.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

When I say a couple, I mean two. Because a couple means two, goddamnit.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By frytup

It's two. It's always been two. It will always be two. Anything else leads to the breakdown of civilization and the dawn of the ant people.

Don't let the ant people win.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By Onemanarmyy

If i say 'give me a couple regarding to candy, i ask for a small amount'.

If i say i need a couple of tires, i request 2 tires. Actually, i would never say 'couple' if i need to be specific. I would just say i need 2 tires.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hrairoo said:

It doesn't matter if you've seen exactly 2 or 3 or 4,

but a couple means two >:[

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By bybeach

A couple means two to me, also. I have trouble with 'several'. I guess that means 2-3? even a little larger amount, say 4? Always thought that to be two also, but I know I'm wrong.

Also I may use couple as in 'couple of dollars' as simply a small amount.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By NTM

I used to mean more than two, but now I use it just as two. If I mean more than two, I say few or several. Generally, when it comes to three specifically I'll use few, and then when it's more than three but not higher than five I'll say several. I think several and few are the same though.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm said:

I used to mean more than two, but now I use it just as two. If I mean more than two, I say few or several. Generally, when it comes to three specifically I'll use few, and then when it's more than three but not higher than five I'll say several. I think several and few are the same though.

Several is more than a few but less than a bunch.

hrairoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frostyryan: Actually, it can mean either "two" or "an indefinite small number." Language evolves, it's pretty cool.

vasta_narada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I use "a couple" when I want to specify more than one of something but very little--particularly when I can't remember or don't know what the exact number is. If someone says "a few" of something, that says to me 4-5 or more, but less than 10. If I wanted to mean two of something, I'd just say two.

BrunoTheThird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By BrunoTheThird

If I think the amount in question was two but am not sure exactly, I say "couple" to imply it was probably but not definitely two, could've been three. If I know it's two, I'll say two. Most people who use the word couple absolutely and correctly every single time are often saying it with a different inflection and with regards to a specific thing (a married couple, etc.). There's a finality and confidence in that tone.

People who say couple with the other inflection -- that sort of laid back, not concerned with accuracy tone -- are saying, "It was probably around two but it doesn't matter to me and I don't remember exactly." The word means two, no question, but the tone now used with it in certain contexts doesn't always imply it. That's what's different.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

The word couple has definition. There is a correct answer in how to use it. Arguing for it’s incorrect use based on “context,” is still incorrect use.

matiaz_tapia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I use it both ways. The second one is more context sensitive. I often mean it as "at least two" when the number or relation is unknown or unclear and you don't want to overcommit.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By veektarius

@bladededge:

Several is three-ish. It is defined as "More than two but not many"

To the original point, a couple is two, but it's also the right word if the number is about two but you aren't sure or aren't being precise. If you know for a fact that it is a number more than two, you should use "several". The fact that you can use "a couple" informally to mean more than two is not because it means more than two but because in the context it's being used, the specific number doesn't actually matter.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

The literal definition of "couple" is 2, so how you can use it for 3 or more is beyond me.

sungahymn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By sungahymn

I try to be as precise with my words as possible, so for the most part I use the word "couple" when I mean "2."

berniesbc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not sure, but I'm fairly sure I say "a couple of minutes" pretty often when I don't mean two minutes at all.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It actually has 2 meanings to married men. A couple is 2 people, however when your wife asks how many beers have you drank. You say a couple which is anywhere between 2 and 30. Ha ha

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#36 gamer_152  Moderator

I use it to mean "two", otherwise it feels like I'm straight-up trying to confuse people.

BrunoTheThird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By BrunoTheThird

Couple doesn't mean 'two' anyway. It means two things that are similar. It has a specific use, but we've adapted it to mean two informally.

If someone said they bought a couple of things at the store, a Pepsi and a magazine, I wouldn't say, "They're not a couple! They're completely unrelated! Say two!"

We accept minor inaccuracies in our social lives, because they have no repercussions at all. Using it to mean, "probably two but could've been three," is as minor as using it to mean two things in general, related or unrelated. We're all wrong.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I tend to just not use couple in general. If I need to be specific I feel like couple isn't good enough (for the same reason this thread even exists). Though if I do end up saying it in everyday conversation, then I probably actually mean "a few".

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

As with most words context matters.

• My wife and I went with a couple to the movies. [two people went to the movies with two other romantically involved people]
  • A couple of us were already driving to Florida ,so we filled up the van with friends and had a road trip. [Two or more, with more being implied strongly by context, got even more people together for a trip to Florida.]
  • We went on an impromptu fishing expedition, a couple of people were in the boat. [Several people were in that boat, likely more than you'd want to name in an off-hand comment]
  • We went as a couple to Italy. [Two romantically involved people went to Italy]
  • In 1978, I saw a heroin addicted couple in a gutter in New York city! [You met Sid Vicious and Nancy Spungen.]
Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

@mightyduck: I do this as well

Typically where I would have once used the word "couple" I use the word "few" and try to restrict the usage of "couple" to 2

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I say couple for anything up to 10.

BladedEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veektarius: Dictionary definitions are nice, but have absolutely no baring on how I use the words. That is how the people who live where I do have always essentially treated those terms.

deathfromace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I want to say two I will just say it. I use a couple generally meaning anything from about 2-5

Avatar image for marceloblvictor
marceloblvictor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a foreigner english learner I appreciate this post. Always got confused by that.

Dray2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A couple can mean more than just two things, you know.

Other than that, I usually use it to mean a pair to avoid confusion. Simple stuff.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bladededge: I mean, I live in the United States and have lived in several regions of it. Didn't need a dictionary to know that. You might be more confusing than you realize.

BladedEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veektarius: You realize there are hundreds of differnt localities in just US alone, right? If I, the kids I grew up with, our parents, and the community I lived in used the definitions as I spelled them out..so much so that I can by memory quote it back if I give it a moments thought..I'm gonna say again. Definitions are nice, but have absolutely nothing to do with reality of my personal view.

Remember the OP? A poll about what you mean when you use 'a couple'. I answered that, then gave the expanded definition, unique to me. As did most everyone else. In response you 'Well actually the text book definition.." me. I grant you that your good at reading a dictionary, but point out how it has nothing to do with my personal experience or the social group I learned it from..and you respond back to me by saying "Well I've been in a few social groups too, and we didn't do it that way, your clearly confused and don't realize it". Which to me reads as "Silly hick, your ignorance is cute".

Please, in the future, try and respect that opinions can exist outside your own without needing any qualifying 'I guess you can think that but your confused" attachments.

Cheers.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By RonGalaxy

It depends on the context. Like a romantic couple always means 2. If I'm asking for a couple of something, its synonymous with asking for "a handful of". I feel like if you have a specific number in mind, you should just specify the number.

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By TheRealTurk

It depends on the context. Like a romantic couple always means 2. If I'm asking for a couple of something, its synonymous with asking for "a handful of". I feel like if you have a specific number in mind, you should just specify the number.

Ahem. *Extremely pedantic professor voice* If you are using "a couple" as a noun to refer to a literal couple, the I would submit that "a couple" actually means one. Multiple people as a singular collective entity.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do stick my pinky up at you lowly peasants. j/k

Only time i say couple to mean anything other than 2 is when i say "A couple of minutes"