Why Americans will never accept Soccer as a "real" sport.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#151  Edited By Winternet

@shinigami420 said:

@arca said:

@Winternet said:

Soccer is more accepted in the US than American Football is in Europe. Why is anyone complaining?

That's because we have rugby and don't see the need for something very similar.

No the UK has rugby the rest of Europe dont give a shit about rugby

That's not entirely true. Rugby has its place in Europe.

sarge1445

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#152  Edited By sarge1445

I think both cultures would like the opposite sport if exposed more to it. I think American football has more to it then the rest of the world thinks. Coaches can spend 20 hours or more making a great gameplan exposing another teams weakness etc. The entire team needs to be doing there job to have the best chance of winning. If the offensive line does not block the running back can't find holes and the qb doesnt have time to pass. Also watch this and tell me american football players are not athletes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdBIJOadVzk

easthill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#153  Edited By easthill

@skinnyman said:

1) Scoring: Yep, it's been mentioned. And yes, the single score in a 1-0 game is going to be pretty exciting when it finally happens. But how long do I have to sit through people endlessly kicking the ball back and forth with no hope of scoring in order to see that point? And yes, in basketball there is too much, making individual scores meaningless for the most part. I think there is a happy medium between meaningless scores every ten seconds and only one score through an entire game with nothing but watching guys running around chasing a ball to fill the rest of the time. In football, scoring is rare enough that it is always hugely exciting, but never so rare that the game becomes a drag. Also, in football, every single play, even the simplest running play, is potentially a scoring opportunity. Watch some highlights from guys like Frank Gore, Chris Johnson, and Adrian Peterson, and tell me you can't get excited to watch someone like that.

It's not only the goals that's exciting, every single chance will have the fans jumping from their seats and grabbing their hair. Every single defensive clearing will have the fans let out a deep sigh. I've seen matches that have ended 0-0 that are far more exciting than a match ending 4-1.

I'm a Man Utd fan, but one of the best matches I've seen was Liverpool winning the Champions League final after being down 0-3 at half time. At full time, the score matters, but during the match - every little thing may affect the outcome.

@skinnyman said:

2) Specialization: Soccer players are great athletes, but they would never last a season in the NFL. Essentially every player, except the goalie, has the exact same skill set - running and kicking the ball. Maybe an oversimplification, but you get the point. In football, every single player has a unique specialty that only a few other people on the team, if any, are capable of performing. Powerful lineman battle in the trenches, speedy receivers and corners are in a constant game of cat and mouse, bruising linebackers make hits, finesse running backs find holes in the defense, and of course the immensely talented quarterbacks run the show. Not to mention punters, kickers, return men, and everyone else who contributes to the game. It's like a well-crafted RPG.

If this is true, why do we need 11 different positions on the pitch? Why can't defenders play strikers? Because you need a different skill set. Sure, it's not as rigid as American Football/Rugby - but claiming it's just running and kicking is extremely ignorant.

Essentially every player in American football just need to throw, run and the occasional kick, Maybe an oversimplification, but you get the point - eh? This is a good read.

@skinnyman said:

3) Strategy: The biggest reason that I LOVE American football is the amount of strategy that goes into every single game. Maintaining an offense in a four down system is one of the most complicated but beautifully simple things. Call me a dumb American, but I'm just not seeing that in soccer. The ball changes hands constantly, and true "offense" is limited to a few seconds in which you have possession of the ball within twenty yards of the opposing goal. With football, if it's 4th and short you can pound it right at them, or you can fake the handoff and hit someone on a quick crossing route. It's constant risk-reward calculations, and at the end of the game the strategies in football are unlike any other sport. Watching a skilled quarterback run the two minute drill is the most exciting thing I have ever seen in sports, ever.

You see, this is the problem. Don't try to think you know football (soccer) because you played it as a kid. Are you telling me strategy has no part in football? I'm not gonna tell you American Football doesn't require strategy - because honestly, I don't know the sport enough to tell you.

Norway recently lost 0-1 to Portugal, a vastly better team. The goal came after a defensive mistake on Norways part. Spain lost 0-4 to the same team. Spain are world champions - Norway wasn't qualified to the World Cup.

Watching Lionel Messi tear through Real Madrids defenders in the semi-finals was about the most exciting thing I have seen in sports, ever. Who is right, dumb American?

I don't understand American Football enough to post valid critique, and after reading you post - you don't understand Football enough, either.

adziboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#154  Edited By adziboy
@Hardgamer said:  

Vuvuzelas are specific to South Arica.
sarge1445

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155  Edited By sarge1445

@easthill said:

@skinnyman said:

1) Scoring: Yep, it's been mentioned. And yes, the single score in a 1-0 game is going to be pretty exciting when it finally happens. But how long do I have to sit through people endlessly kicking the ball back and forth with no hope of scoring in order to see that point? And yes, in basketball there is too much, making individual scores meaningless for the most part. I think there is a happy medium between meaningless scores every ten seconds and only one score through an entire game with nothing but watching guys running around chasing a ball to fill the rest of the time. In football, scoring is rare enough that it is always hugely exciting, but never so rare that the game becomes a drag. Also, in football, every single play, even the simplest running play, is potentially a scoring opportunity. Watch some highlights from guys like Frank Gore, Chris Johnson, and Adrian Peterson, and tell me you can't get excited to watch someone like that.

It's not only the goals that's exciting, every single chance will have the fans jumping from their seats and grabbing their hair. Every single defensive clearing will have the fans let out a deep sigh. I've seen matches that have ended 0-0 that are far more exciting than a match ending 4-1.

I'm a Man Utd fan, but one of the best matches I've seen was Liverpool winning the Champions League final after being down 0-3 at half time. At full time, the score matters, but during the match - every little thing may affect the outcome.

@skinnyman said:

2) Specialization: Soccer players are great athletes, but they would never last a season in the NFL. Essentially every player, except the goalie, has the exact same skill set - running and kicking the ball. Maybe an oversimplification, but you get the point. In football, every single player has a unique specialty that only a few other people on the team, if any, are capable of performing. Powerful lineman battle in the trenches, speedy receivers and corners are in a constant game of cat and mouse, bruising linebackers make hits, finesse running backs find holes in the defense, and of course the immensely talented quarterbacks run the show. Not to mention punters, kickers, return men, and everyone else who contributes to the game. It's like a well-crafted RPG.

If this is true, why do we need 11 different positions on the pitch? Why can't defenders play strikers? Because you need a different skill set. Sure, it's not as rigid as American Football/Rugby - but claiming it's just running and kicking is extremely ignorant.

Essentially every player in American football just need to throw, run and the occasional kick, Maybe an oversimplification, but you get the point - eh? This is a good read.

@skinnyman said:

3) Strategy: The biggest reason that I LOVE American football is the amount of strategy that goes into every single game. Maintaining an offense in a four down system is one of the most complicated but beautifully simple things. Call me a dumb American, but I'm just not seeing that in soccer. The ball changes hands constantly, and true "offense" is limited to a few seconds in which you have possession of the ball within twenty yards of the opposing goal. With football, if it's 4th and short you can pound it right at them, or you can fake the handoff and hit someone on a quick crossing route. It's constant risk-reward calculations, and at the end of the game the strategies in football are unlike any other sport. Watching a skilled quarterback run the two minute drill is the most exciting thing I have ever seen in sports, ever.

You see, this is the problem. Don't try to think you know football (soccer) because you played it as a kid. Are you telling me strategy has no part in football? I'm not gonna tell you American Football doesn't require strategy - because honestly, I don't know the sport enough to tell you.

Norway recently lost 0-1 to Portugal, a vastly better team. The goal came after a defensive mistake on Norways part. Spain lost 0-4 to the same team. Spain are world champions - Norway wasn't qualified to the World Cup.

Watching Lionel Messi tear through Real Madrids defenders in the semi-finals was about the most exciting thing I have seen in sports, ever. Who is right, dumb American?

I don't understand American Football enough to post valid critique, and after reading you post - you don't understand Football enough, either.

Point one his first point is valid to americans who didn't learn the game at a young age and dont understand the detials low scoring games seem boring. It is also why low scoring american football games seem boring to though who don't know the smaller parts of the game. point the original post was right outside of high school and SUPER talented college players every position outside of moving spots on the offensive and defensive line is very different. No linebacker needs to throw period, just like no linemen needs to know how to catch in fact the only universal thing is hitting. As for strategy soccer has it just not to the extent american football does. In soccer assume your coaches don't watch film for hours on end to find thing to exploit.

skinnyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156  Edited By skinnyman
@Positrark: I can't disagree with anything you said. As simply a casual observer of soccer rather than a dedicated fan, some of my points were certainly oversimplifications and hampered by my admittedly biased point of view. I also agree that the high barrier to entry is a big problem to "American football" becoming embraced more widely.
sarge1445

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By sarge1445

@skinnyman said:

@Positrark: I can't disagree with anything you said. As simply a casual observer of soccer rather than a dedicated fan, some of my points were certainly oversimplifications and hampered by my admittedly biased point of view. I also agree that the high barrier to entry is a big problem to "American football" becoming embraced more widely.

The same can be said for soccer in the states if you want to enjoy the game on the level a lot of European fans do

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By Winternet

@easthill: I just want to say yay for writing football with a capital f

arca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By arca

@shinigami420: Are you american? A lot of European countries play rugby. It's biggest in the UK but still a big sport within the EU.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#160  Edited By EpicSteve

I think Soccer is incredibly boring to watch. To play, however, it can be really enjoyable. Some sports just don't translate to spectator sports as well as others. I have yet to meet someone who actively enjoys watching Tennis, but it's a fun sport to play. But how people get into Nascar is beyond me.

skinnyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By skinnyman
@easthill said:

I don't know, it seems to me like a defender could easily transition to striker if the need arose.

@easthill said:

The difference is I have watched and played a good amount of soccer for myself though. Not extensively, I am a casual viewer and player, but at least I have experienced the sport. If soccer really requires years of training and education to appreciate, well maybe the barrier of entry for soccer is just as high as for football. How much "American football" have you actually seen? I was making comparisons, not blanket statements. So unless you have enough knowledge to make comparisons, we aren't on the same page.

I also never said soccer required no strategy (that's why you couldn't find a quote where I said that) - I said it's not anywhere near the level of "American football." It's not a dig at soccer, no other sport that I have ever seen comes close, including basketball, baseball, hockey, you name it.
Twisted_Scot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#162  Edited By Twisted_Scot

Football bored the shit out of me, 90 mins + with 1 or 2 goals from a bunch of over-payed twats.
American Football: The only sport that 1 min can infact take half an hour! (Superbowl Sunday doesn't seem to end until the Monday about lunchtime) Ive never seen a sport that most of the game is spent with guys wearing body armour and spandex chatting and hugging so much between talking about how manly and awesome each other are.
Cricket : WTF ?  Jesus when your fans / spectators bring a good book and enjoy a knap perhaps its time to stop.
Baseball: Americas pass-time. This is the one that gives everyone hope of becoming a pro athlete as looks / heath and fitness are not a necessity. Rounders with a Jumbotron.
Hockey: To be fair the only of the sports that I can sometimes watch if only to see people get Ko'd. But generaly suffers the same problems as Football (but more polite).
Rugby: OK its pretty brutal so im not going to comment but still too much hugging and the short are way to shorts I swear they look like F*****g thong on some dudes.
Tennis: Depends on if its men's or women's. ;)
Golf: Smacking shit with walking sticks.....don't get it unless maybe your a retiree (Croquet for dudes ?) 
Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By Binman88
@skinnyman said:
Making an oversimplification and then stating that you have done so does not excuse the original over simplification. It just makes you look a bit lazy and stupid. It's never ideal to start a point with an exaggeration (particularly one by your own admission), but it's great as an indicator to the reader to take whatever else you say with a pinch of salt.

I had typed up some rough information about formations and the roles of each player on the field, but the more I typed, the more I realised I was going to need a lot more time than I have to give you, so I'll just give you some links instead. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_football_positions  
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formation_(association_football)

Make sure you click on every linked term that you don't understand (judging from your post, you'll be clicking a lot of them). Before you talk or post about football again, you'll want to familiarise yourself with and appreciate all variations of the roles and positions on the pitch. Have a look at some current players that play in similar areas of the pitch but have completely different strategies and tasks to perform.   

If you don't like football, that's great! It's not my concern. I couldn't care less (like the rest of the world) about American Football, Baseball or Basketball. I just find it weird that you'd write such a long post of nonsense about a sport you know nothing about. You certainly won't find me criticising any of the American sports I mentioned, because I frankly don't know enough about them to do so! They just hold no interest for me! 

@Hardgamer said: 
The two biggest leagues (English Premier League and Italian Serie A) have more fans than the NFL, MLB, NHL or any other American professional sports league. The fans are amazing (I mean they riot for the most pointless games, yet in the US you have to win a World Series to riot).
Hmm, not sure I recall any riots during the entire 2010-2011 Premier League. Don't think I heard about any riots for the Championship, or lower leagues either. 
Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#164  Edited By Renahzor

I watch some Soccer matches now and then, and a lot of American Football.  I also go to minor league baseball games locally and occasionally watch Hockey, Baseball, Tennis, Basketball, and hell even Golf on TV.  I love most sports. 

I have a really hard time watching most soccer matches.  I really like how it plays for the most part.  I can appreciate the nuances in the plays, I don't care that its low scoring.  I can get into watching the players make great plays even if they don't end in scores.  Seeing a fast break counter attack is exciting, great saves are exciting, a guy somehow splitting 3 defenders and getting a shot is exciting, a player making a great pass mid field to get a guy open on a run is exciting.   

I have one *huge* issue with soccer.  They need to start red carding ANYONE who acts like a fucking pussy anywhere on the field.  If someone slide tackles you and you hurdle them, nicking your toe on the way over and you roll around for 2 minutes holding your shin like a douchebag, get the fuck out.  If someone runs past you and you pretend to trip, again writhing on the ground, get the fuck out.  Implement instant replay and start removing the guys faking being hurt.  If they did that I'd be much more interested in watching more.  Seems to happen at least 10 times an any match I watch, and god damn is it annoying.   

To be fair, it happens now and then in hockey and basketball too, but nowhere near as prevalent as in soccer.  

skinnyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By skinnyman
@shinigami420: You already posted that. Very clever.

@EpicSteve said:

I think Soccer is incredibly boring to watch. To play, however, it can be really enjoyable. Some sports just don't translate to spectator sports as well as others. I have yet to meet someone who actively enjoys watching Tennis, but it's a fun sport to play. But how people get into Nascar is beyond me.

I actually love watching tennis, along with it being one of my favorite sports to play. I guess I wouldn't call myself a "tennis fan" just because I only get to watch the big 4 tournaments every year (Australian, U.S., French, and Wimbledon). But yes, certain sports are better played than observed. I actually think both basketball and soccer fall into this category. And NASCAR... yeah I'm not gonna go there.
Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By Marcsman

We Americans also do not accept Canada as a real country. 
Don't take it so hard.
shinigami420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By shinigami420

@Marcsman said:

We Americans also do not accept Canada as a real country. Don't take it so hard.
No Caption Provided
grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#168  Edited By grilledcheez

@Niall_Sg1 said:

If you think you're watching violence with American Football try watching Rugby.
positrark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By positrark

@Renahzor: I completely agree that faking injury is a huge problem in some countries, mostly South America, Spain and Italy, but most other European leagues don't have much of a problem with this since it is frowned upon, e.g. England. Here in Norway players get ridiculed in the media if they get caught taking a dive.

In my mind they should review every high level game on video, and suspend players for several matches if they are caught filming, and get a red card if they are caught during the game. Such actions give the sport a bad name and should be dealt with harsly. It is somehow worse then a usual violatioon because you're trying to fool the other player into being punished for something he didn't do. Though with the governing body of the sport, FIFA, being corrupt, I don't have much faith they will deal with it properly.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#170  Edited By imsh_pl
@shinigami420:
No Caption Provided
Gahzoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By Gahzoo

American here chiming in.

I don't really mind soccer that much, I sort of find it a less exciting hockey. 

Edit to clarify a little: I don't watch either of the above, but from the outside looking in, it's really what it looks like.

However, I often explain my extreme hatred towards baseball.
God, that sport fucking blows. I'd honestly rather watch NASCAR.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By Binman88
@Positrark said:

@Renahzor: I completely agree that faking injury is a huge problem in some countries, mostly South America, Spain and Italy, but most other European leagues don't have much of a problem with this since it is frowned upon, e.g. England. Here in Norway players get ridiculed in the media if they get caught taking a dive.

Yeah this is true. It's especially apparent going from watching the premier league where there is relatively little diving now, to the champion's league where Italian and Spanish teams in particular go over for the smallest of things. They get away with it because they're not being shamed for doing so. It needs to be taken out of the game and a 5th official in front of a TV screen should do the trick nicely. Remember Mascherano going down like he was shot by a sniper in the semi-final against Real Madrid? He was barely touched on the back of the foot by a falling Ronaldo, who himself was fouled a moment before. Mascherano knew what he had to do (he wasn't going to get the ball), and knew what he would get away with.  

@GrilledCheez01 said:

@Niall_Sg1 said:

If you think you're watching violence with American Football try watching Rugby.
And one could easily embed an awful rugby tackle to continue illustrating violent aspect of some sports, but if you're coming to sports for the violence you're already off to a bad start (unless you're talking about boxing or UFC etc). It's certainly telling that the points put forward in favour of American Football often rely on how cool and violent it is. When I think of Rugby (or indeed association football), I think of how proud I am to see my country play and win, and to see thousands of Irish supporters getting behind our team, which is something I think America lacks due to the insular nature of your sports. 

The experience of getting behind your country in this way rubs off on how we support our relative clubs as well, and it's just a shame association football isn't more popular in the USA, because supporting your national team in a sport really brings people together and is a great source of pride for your country.  

Below is just a recent example of the Irish rugby supporters singing The Fields of Athenry as we were enjoying a comprehensive defeat of England.
http://youtu.be/UWLXi6qtAr8?t=6m37s

To bring it back to football - another example, over 20 years ago, Ireland defeating Romania in a penalty shoot out in the World Cup to get us into the quarter finals. I was only two years old at the time, but watching it now still brings a tear to my eye (and not just for the dodgy clothes and dancing around the 4 minute mark!)
http://youtu.be/O-8ZBXsBOE8?t=1m56s 

So to all the Americans that consider football a boring sport, I guess the rest of the world can look at you and say "you wouldn't understand".
InternetCrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By InternetCrab

People find it boring because there aren't many goals, but i'm still a huge american football and soccer fan!

fini_fly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By fini_fly

Updated 
Updated 
HydraHam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By HydraHam

Don't say americans implying all americans, plenty of americans consider it a sport.

Then again i could say the thing about how other countries don't consider some of our sports as sports, me personally i don't care for soccer i find it extremely boring like golf.

ethan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By ethan

Comes down to what you played growing up. I'm American but I'd rather watch Soccer then Baseball. I love playing either though. Just Baseball is too slow for me and not rough enough.

darkwingduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By darkwingduck
@Buck_Sexington said:

Football cannot be accepted in the US because you're shit it at it

HydraHam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By HydraHam

@PenguinDust said:

Americans are only interested in sports we invented. Baseball, basketball, American football. End story.

There is a flaw in your theory.

Basketball came from north america (canada) and the concept of Baseball came from french people, also "american football", the concept was created and played in the UK before US took it and made it into "US" football.

Contrary to belief, most "american" sports are not american made sports, kind of like how people think italians created pizza when it was the greeks. Which also brings me back to not all americans hate soccer and think soccer isn't a sport, people in this thread are trying to stereotype americans as nascar loving, beer drinking, football(american football) loving rednecks and it's bullshit, i could easily turn around and stereotype canadians and other countries but i don't because it's ignorant. People need to acting like they share the opinion of all americans or all canadians etc. because you don't, people need to stop assuming ridiculous things.

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#179  Edited By KowalskiManDown
salad10203

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By salad10203

Soccer is alot of fun when your playing it, Americans (myself included) just don't have any vested interest because MLS doesn't have the same popularity as MLB, NFL, NBA etc.  Also, Rugby is the real man sport, sorry.

salad10203

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181  Edited By salad10203
Master_Funk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By Master_Funk

@creamypies: Wow , this along with fucking crazy bio makes me think there is something very wrong with the OP.

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#183  Edited By KowalskiManDown

@Slayer22: Hadn't noticed that. That bio is batshit!

Skunkboy72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By Skunkboy72

I did read the whole thread so this might have been said.

But here is another reason Association Football will never be a big spectator sport in the United States. Network Television. During a match there are only 3 times to show commercials, the beginning, halftime, and the end. This does not fly because the networks just can't get enough revenue out of it so they never show it. Look at American Football, there are many times to show a commercial, after every score, after every kick, half time, end of the quarter, timeouts, etc. Association Football only has one time where play is completely stopped, halftime. So since networks can't get enough money from advertisers from commercials they don't really have a big incentive to show matches. There is definitely an audience, look at youth soccer in the States, and lots of the MLS teams have very devoted followings, especially with the Latin community. In my opinion it just comes down to the dollars.

That being said, I have no idea how commercials and sponsorship works in Europe and Latin America so I could just be completely wrong.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

Why the fuck should the rest of the world care what us Americans think of soccer? We don't have great taste. Five of our most popular tv shows start with 'Real Housewives'.

NellyK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By NellyK
@PenguinDust: Yep.
Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#187  Edited By Crono
NellyK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188  Edited By NellyK

It's fairly accurate to say we Americans only follow sports we invented, but I'll go one further. Like other countries, we care about anything we WIN at. In 1980, America cared about hockey because of the Miracle on Ice. Sadly, that's the last time we took the gold. We cared about soccer for a nanosecond when we won the women's World Cup and it's safe to say America would be soccer-crazed if the men's soccer team ever won the World Cup, if only for a few weeks.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189  Edited By mikey87144

I'm American and I love the futbol. It's a great game and also very exciting.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#190  Edited By grilledcheez

@Binman88: I was simply defending my sport. Also, nationalism is fucking retarded no matter how you swing it.

Also, didn't mean to sound like a dick...all in good fun!

NobodyHIFI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191  Edited By NobodyHIFI
 @PenguinDust said:
Americans are only interested in sports we invented.  Baseball, basketball, American football.  End story.
Baseball was invented in Great Britain and Basketball was invented by a Canadian professor.  End Story.
jmfinamore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192  Edited By jmfinamore
@TotalEklypse: Isn't that the big problem with basketball? That defense is being negated by overly strict rules? 
Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193  Edited By Binman88
@GrilledCheez01 said:

@Binman88: I was simply defending my sport. Also, nationalism is fucking retarded no matter how you swing it.

Well, that says it all doesn't it! Like I said, you wouldn't understand.
JTB123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#194  Edited By JTB123

I haven't really got anything to add that hasn't been said already but this thread is great for so many reasons :)

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195  Edited By ryanwho
@NobodyHIFI said:
 @PenguinDust said:
Americans are only interested in sports we invented.  Baseball, basketball, American football.  End story.
Baseball was invented in Great Britain and Basketball was invented by a Canadian professor.  End Story.
So I guess the question is actually what the fuck is up Britian's ass that they're too good for baseball and who shit in Canada's oatmeal that they're too good for basketball. Thanks for clarifying the real problem.
GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196  Edited By GreggD

@monte said:

@FreakAche said:
Yikes! Click on HardGamer's minibio!
Holy Shit...

Seriously, wtf did I just witness?

skinnyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197  Edited By skinnyman
@Binman88 said:
Before you talk or post about football again, you'll want to familiarise yourself with and appreciate all variations of the roles and positions on the pitch. 
I really won't. Everything I have ever learned about sports came from watching or playing them. You are the second person here to suggest that an understanding of soccer's appeal requires "heavy reading." If that's the case, it is the only sport I have ever seen that requires this, and I'm still not interested.

@Binman88 said:
If you don't like football, that's great! It's not my concern. I couldn't care less (like the rest of the world) about American Football, Baseball or Basketball. I just find it weird that you'd write such a long post of nonsense about a sport you know nothing about. You certainly won't find me criticising any of the American sports I mentioned, because I frankly don't know enough about them to do so! They just hold no interest for me!
You sure sound concerned. See, what's funny about this is I never represented my views as anything other than the opinions of an NFL football fan who has watched and played soccer, and why I prefer one over the other, yet you still managed to get yourself all butthurt. I would be very interested to hear a similar but opposite viewpoint from someone who is an avid fan of soccer, but has at least seen or played American football, as to why they prefer soccer. All the "soccer defenders" seem to have no knowledge whatsoever of other sports. You make a big point of calling me ignorant and stupid, when in fact you are the one coming from the ignorant position of only having played or watched ONE of the two sports being discussed.
Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198  Edited By Binman88
@skinnyman said:
@Binman88 said:
Before you talk or post about football again, you'll want to familiarise yourself with and appreciate all variations of the roles and positions on the pitch. 
I really won't. Everything I have ever learned about sports came from watching or playing them. You are the second person here to suggest that an understanding of soccer's appeal requires "heavy reading." If that's the case, it is the only sport I have ever seen that requires this, and I'm still not interested.
I suggested you read up on the sport because you seemed to be having trouble grasping the concepts simply by viewing. I'm not asking you to be interested, I'm asking you not to make incorrect claims about a sport you know little about! 

@skinnyman said:   

You sure sound concerned. See, what's funny about this is I never represented my views as anything other than the opinions of an NFL football fan who has watched and played soccer, and why I prefer one over the other, yet you still managed to get yourself all butthurt. I would be very interested to hear a similar but opposite viewpoint from someone who is an avid fan of soccer, but has at least seen or played American football, as to why they prefer soccer. All the "soccer defenders" seem to have no knowledge whatsoever of other sports. You make a big point of calling me ignorant and stupid, when in fact you are the one coming from the ignorant position of only having played or watched ONE of the two sports being discussed.

Yep, I sound concerned about the incorrect points you made about football (soccer)! I don't care if you like the sport or not. Do you see the difference? I'll quote what I said just to clear that minor point up.

If you don't like football, that's great! It's not my concern.

"It's" refers to the idea of you not liking football, which is not my concern. You see? Context. :D With hundreds of millions of fans across the world, football doesn't live or die by your interest in it, lol.

I admit I don't know much about American sports, but then again I'm not making any criticisms of any American sports, because I'm not in a position to do so. That doesn't mean I can't correct your incorrect and ignorant statements about football (soccer). I'm actually quite astonished that you're confused by that.

As for other sports, well, Rugby, Golf and Tennis would be the next big ones for me, and I'm somewhat interested in Ireland's Gaelic games and Aussie Rules. I'm also a big Formula One fan, and was a huge fan of Rallying growing up. So yeah, "no knowledge whatsoever of other sports" doesn't apply to me. There are other sports outside of America, in case you didn't know!
JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199  Edited By JCTango
@billnyethesciencepie said:

Its because there usually 2 goals a game through the entire 3 hours  Its boring as FUCK

There's a lot more to the game than how many goals are scored.   
The skill involved in executing crosses, lobs, building up excellent chance plays, and dribbling past your mark - that's where most of the game's heart lies, at least in my opinion.

That said though, I see where you're coming from.  I used to think that way as well till I started playing some football video games (heh, I know.. actually nba2k11 did the same for me, or at least heightened my love of basketball moreso than before).

PS:  You can sorta argue that same point about low scoring games being the low point of the sport by comparing it to some game tallies at the end of hockey games.

@McBEEF said:
Football or 'soccer' i find is reeeally boring to watch but fun to play with your mates.   Rugby is the best sport ever. American Football is just so damn slow.
Yeah, I always was curious about Rugby.. it looks pretty damn intense.  I don't get to watch it as much as I'd like over here though :/.
vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#200  Edited By vidiot
*Looks at Seattle Sounders T-Shirt*
*Looks at thread*

Alright. Cool, I guess.