Why Americans will never accept Soccer as a "real" sport.

skinnyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#201  Edited By skinnyman
@Binman88: I made a bunch of comparisons between the two sports, none of which you were able to address because you don't know anything about "American football." Since reading comprehension seems to be rather difficult for you, let me condense my statement: "American football" has more scoring, requires more unique player specializations, and requires more playcalling strategy than soccer. Can you refute any of those points? No, not only because they are all true, but because you are clueless with respect to "American football." Until that changes you are talking out of your ass.
arca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#202  Edited By arca

@GreggD said:

@monte said:

@FreakAche said:
Yikes! Click on HardGamer's minibio!
Holy Shit...

Seriously, wtf did I just witness?

What the chirst. It's like an essay!

CrimsonAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#203  Edited By CrimsonAvenger
Well I can say one thing..Nice use of plagiarism. Other than that I'll say Soccer isn't as entertaining to us Americans as it is to other countries so that's why I think it is.
triclops41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204  Edited By triclops41

Football is more popular than futball in the US because the US inherently prefers contact sports.  That is not to say that the US loves all contact sports, but even contact sports in the US that are not the big three are pretty well represented.  For how little natural snow our country has, we have a decent amount of people playing and watching hockey.  And there are rugby leagues for amateurs and pros. 

And the big 3, baseball, football, and basketball, all have moments where contact is permitted and encouraged.  (unfortunately, the nba is moving away from that, but i digress).  baseball has the least contact, but you can still slam into a catcher when running towards home base, and the ball itself hits players often enough with a lot of force. 

Football, because of the gear, size, and speed of the athletes, has the most violent contact outside of MMA (which is also very big and growing in the US), and the way most NFL athletes showcase their athletic prowess is through that contact.  in futball, ones prowess is shown through other things like skill with the ball. 

But really this whole thread is based on a misconception.  The US is very diverse in the sports it supports.  Many countries have fewer, but more dominant sports.  Major League Baseball is the biggest, but followed closely by the National Football League which is followed closely by the National Basketball Association.  And dozens of other sports have several leagues that are successful in terms of participants as well as revenue. 
Some of you mock NASCAR fans but that is just an example of how diverse it is here.  That futball is not a dominant monolith in the US is a good thing.

AchillesReturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205  Edited By AchillesReturn

One major difference between soccer and football is the prevalence of the amateur version. College Football is essentially a unique phenomenon compared to other sports. 

jrodrz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#206  Edited By jrodrz
@Toms115 said:
football is for pussies i play baseball like a real man
You like sports where you just stand around to avoid sweating, like a sissy girl? Now I know why you like it so much ;)
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#207  Edited By JJWeatherman

I'm an American and I consider soccer to be a real sport. I just don't like it very much.

I actually went to a soccer game just a couple of weeks ago. It was the weirdest thing. The crowd had so many rituals that seemed crazy, and they all chanted and sang songs the whole game. Weirdest thing I'd ever seen. It was somewhat entertaining, but I prefer basketball.

Chirag4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208  Edited By Chirag4
@Hardgamer said:
@Buck_Sexington said:

Football cannot be accepted in the US because you're shit it at it

Mabie Yes. Mabie Not. It depends on how suck-able we are at it.
Dude seriously, what does this even mean?
daiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#209  Edited By daiphyer

I really liked Football as a kid, but the more I grew, the more I started to get bored of it. Nowadays I can't even finish a single match, no matter what the stake is. In my opinion, In-doors Football, or Futsal is much much more exciting to watch AND play. It's just a shame that there is not enough coverage of it, and it doesn't get the same fund and advertisement as football.  
Futsal is about the only sport I can watch entirely. Everything else bores the shit out of me. 

Revenant86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210  Edited By Revenant86

it's because it is nowhere near as violent, and The aeropostale wearing, Angsty white suburban teenagers perfer reckless violence over a coordinated sport.
why do you think Call of Duty is so popular?

positrark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211  Edited By positrark

@AchillesReturn: I would argue that the American system of linking education and sports is the unique thing. I mean it's the same with NCAA.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#212  Edited By TwoOneFive

nah soccer's growing a lot. but having the World Cup in Qatar was fucking retarded.  

Just as Soccer is gaining momentum in the most potentially profitable region, they go and put it somewhere nobody ever heard of that already loves the sport... 

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213  Edited By TwoOneFive

OMG DO YOU KNOW WHAT THE WORD MINI MEANS?!

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214  Edited By time allen
@jrodrz said:
@Toms115 said:
You like sports where you just stand around to avoid sweating, like a sissy girl? Now I know why you like it so much ;)
fuck you it's the best sport ever invented i'd kick your ass tell me where you live
mcwingstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#215  Edited By mcwingstar

As a guy who doesn't follow sports regularly, but watches a scattered amount of everything i'll say this: Both American Football and Soccer are superior to the dumb, thuggish rugby and the arduous cricket we play here in Australia.

With regards to american sports, baseball seems like a sexed-up version of cricket, but that doesn't say much because cricket is incredibly boring. Basketball has points scored way too often to really get tension in it regularly, so makes it boring to watch for me as well.

When it comes down to soccer vs. american football (the two sports I watch the most), I think talent-wise soccer leads (way more technical skills for every single player, rather than just a select few of the players on the field). American football is way more tactically interesting.

Also, I think the low scores in soccer are a two-edged sword. They mean most games are CRAZY slow, but the high importance to each goal makes it many times more satisfying when your team does score. It's also this sort of crazy tension that probably leads to the more violent fan culture. Or just the english people.

mcwingstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216  Edited By mcwingstar

In retrospect, my opinion was kind of unrelated to the question.

USA doesn't accept soccer because it's seen as European and Latino, and america can't support what isn't "American".

But I probably think this because (see map from shinigami420 on the first page) we tend to naturally generalize you all to a bunch of redneck texans.

MjHealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 15

#217  Edited By MjHealy

One thing that annoys me about criticisms of football is how people talk about diving and vuvuzelas.

Vuvuzelas are gone. Sure they were around for South African World Cup but they shall be pretty much gone by Brazil in 2014 and sure as shit won't be heard in Russia 2018. Not ever single challenge in football is a dive either. Don't get me wrong; diving and cheating are some of the worst aspects of the sport but it's not like every time someone is tackled they then fall to the ground and roll around for twenty minutes. Anyone saying that clearly doesn't watch much football. I mean, it's hardly dropkicks to the chest left, right and centre but it isn't ballet either. Certainly older football and football in lower leagues is where you won't see any diving.

SSValis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218  Edited By SSValis

well this is a nice and friendly thread

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#219  Edited By JasonR86
@Revenant86 said:
 it's because it is nowhere near as violent, and The aeropostale wearing, Angsty white suburban teenagers perfer reckless violence over a coordinated sport. why do you think Call of Duty is so popular?
Pull your head out of your ass dude, Call of Duty sells just as much where soccer is popular as it does in America.  Plus, the 'aeropostale wearing, Angsty white suburban teenagers' hardly make up the Americans who follow sports regularly.
teeknuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220  Edited By teeknuts

To be honest I think that the the whole basis of this thread is invalid. If soccer isn't considered a "real" (whatever that means) sport, why is it that the big European teams consistently have preseason tours in America? Also along those lines, why is it that the most amount of money spent for the 2010 World Cup rights was by ESPN for the US rights? Soccer is big here. Not as big as some sports, but the numbers are there.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221  Edited By RsistncE

Americans also voted in George W. Bush. 

TWICE. 

I really am not concerned at all what Americans think about anything at this point in time. 

Besides, Futbol is the most pure sport on the planet and the world agrees with me. 

EDIT: Oh dear GOD. I just saw some of the OP's bio...and I also managed to read some. It was bad. Very bad.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222  Edited By PeasantAbuse

I don't like watching pussies run (actually most of their time is spent slowly jogging or not moving at all, despite what soccer fans say) around not scoring.  Soccer is boring as fuck. 
mikethekilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223  Edited By mikethekilla

I consider soccer a real sport, I just not a huge fan of it. I'm not really a fan of any sport that doesn't revolve around some form of combat.

Commando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224  Edited By Commando

Soccer sucks. American football(real football) is better.

SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#225  Edited By SirPsychoSexy
@billnyethesciencepie said:
To everyone quoting me:  I know a soccer games 90 minutes  but with the whiniest players ive ever seen in a sport, it extends the length to at least twice that
You clearly have no idea what you are talking about, soccer games rarely have more than a few minutes of extra time. I can see how some people may find soccer boring, but I think that can be said for most sports if you do not know what is going on. Soccer is similair to chess, there is alot of setting up the pieces to score a goal, much more strategy then you might think. Also soccer has something many sports don't which is very limited downtime (none really). In Football you might run a  play for 5sec stop and wait for another 25 sec until the next play, not to mention time outs and switching in offense/defense/special teams, or in basketball where there is countless fouls and too many timeouts, soccer pretty much does not stop. So I can also see the argument for American sports being boring compared to soccer.  I also see some people say its boring because it is low scoring, I personally think that makes it more tense and exciting, making each goal that much of a bigger deal and achievement.

But regardless I am a fan of most sports, just take some time to learn about soccer and you may appreciate it more and find it interesting and exciting to watch. I was not a big fan of soccer until recently and it really is a great game and continuing to grow in the US
NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226  Edited By NTM

I think when it comes to it becoming more popular, the U.S. has a problem with it because sorry, but Third World countries brought it over, and we just don't like things un-Americanized. It's kind of like Americans going somewhere and taking over... with sports! It really always comes down to the history of America and everyone (even if just subconsciously) wanting to live up to the men and women that made our country great, and as time goes by, we want to change in our way, not by others interests and opinions. Americans like their independence as individuals, and a nation as a whole. By the way, "we" don't hate it. OK, I was kind of just talking BS, but it sounded plausible somewhere in my head.

daiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227  Edited By daiphyer
@Toms115 said:
@jrodrz said:
@Toms115 said:
fuck you it's the best sport ever invented i'd kick your ass tell me where you live
I live in punctuation, sentence organization, and correct grammar department. Care to visit me?
valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228  Edited By valrog
@CookieMonster said:
@Adamsons said:
@shinigami420 said:

@MikeGosot said:

@EuanDewar said:

Its because there usually 2 goals a game through the entire 3 hours Its boring as FUCK

3 hours? What?

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#229  Edited By JasonR86
@NTM said:
I think when it comes to it becoming more popular, the U.S. has a problem with it because sorry, but Third World countries brought it over, and we just don't like things un-Americanized. It's kind of like Americans going somewhere and taking over... with sports! It really always comes down to the history of America and everyone (even if just subconsciously) wanting to live up to the men and women that made our country great, and as time goes by, we want to change in our way, not by others interests and opinions. Americans like their independence as individuals, and a nation as a whole. By the way, "we" don't hate it. OK, I was kind of just talking BS, but it sounded plausible somewhere in my head.
You really believe that?  You really think that that belief is so engrained in every single American sports fan that that is why they don't enjoy watching soccer?  

Because I really don't.  That sounds crazy to me.  As a sports fan and an American that shit sounds crazy.
time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230  Edited By time allen
@Daiphyer said:
@Toms115 said:
@jrodrz said:
@Toms115 said:
I live in punctuation, sentence organization, and correct grammar department. Care to visit me?
loosely translates to: i type like i'm writing an essay because my parents neglected me
daiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231  Edited By daiphyer
@Toms115: No, it translates to: I am educated, and mature. While you are uneducated, immature, and act like a 9 year old. Actually, I've seen 9 year olds with more sense than you. now gimmie ur adress ill come kik ur ass
time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232  Edited By time allen
@Daiphyer: 14 umad street
Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233  Edited By ShadowConqueror

Soccer is boring.
Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234  Edited By Osaladin

It's pretty arrogant to think that the rest of the world cares whether Americans like soccer or not.

sarge1445

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235  Edited By sarge1445

@AchillesReturn said:

One major difference between soccer and football is the prevalence of the amateur version. College Football is essentially a unique phenomenon compared to other sports.

the lack of Nevadas win over boise last season makes this video less awesome

lmenzol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236  Edited By lmenzol
Its because there usually 2 goals a game through the entire 3 hours  Its boring as FUCK
yep