Why are there no games about my experience in Iraq?

• 118 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

actionTACO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By actionTACO
@ShadowSkill11 said:

Canada and Mexico aren't that far away and you can get card board boxes to move anywhere. How about you spend less time spouting crazy and more time voting or pushing actual solutions to problems by participating in the freely elected government your troops protect? It's a better alternative than just regurgitating extremist talking points and headlines.

i don't think you get to play the "if you don't like it, you can git out!" card and then get criticize someone for rehashing tired talking points... just saiyan  

in anycase, i hear ARMA is a pretty accurate model of the military. maybe you guys should czech it out! 

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#52  Edited By ShadowSkill11

Thank you foreign Giant bombers for derailing another topic. Good night!

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#53  Edited By McGhee

@ShadowSkill11 said:

@McGhee_the_Insomniac said:

@ShadowSkill11 said:

@McGhee_the_Insomniac said:

@dudy80 said:

@McGhee_the_Insomniac: Fair enough but still respect those who do it regardless of your view on the matter, Its not like thats the reason they go, most now a days go because its good money and they pay for college.

Oh a less serious note

I respect people based on their individual actions. I don't automatically hate the military, but I am a little sick of the blind fawning and worshiping of "our troops" like they're all paragons of virtue. At this point, I also have to question anyone that decided to go into the military when we consider our lying, corrupt government. Someone that puts themselves in the United States government's hands has just given control of their life over to a bloated, corrupt, special interest driven bureaucracy. Of course, many believe that America is always right and that what the government is doing around the world is good, even "righteous". Then I would have to question their judgment on a completely different level. At the same time someone may join the military with the desire to have some positive change on the system from the inside. This I would respect.

All that being said, there are many I would greatly respect upon hearing their individual stories and their are many I would despise. But blanket respect for someone because of their profession? I don't think so.

Canada and Mexico aren't that far away and you can get card board boxes to move anywhere. How about you spend less time spouting crazy and more time voting or pushing actual solutions to problems by participating in the freely elected government your troops protect? It's a better alternative than just regurgitating extremist talking points and headlines.

"Amurika, you can love it, ur GET OUT derp"

You're assuming that I don't vote and that I don't push actual solutions, and in case you hadn't noticed, one does not "participate in the freely elected government" on the Giant Bomb forums. We were having a specific discussion about the war in Iraq and the troops specifically. Ignoring everything I said and just calling it "crazy" and "extremist" does not make any kind of valid argument. It's just a lot of noisy bleating.

No, I was having a light hearted discussion on why they should make video games about the vast majority of support personnel who aren't special ops or rangers at war. You were having a rant about your political views son. Have you considered creating a new topic?

Eh, no "son". My first comment was quite innocuous. In that, I would not play a game set in Iraq. My "rant" was in response to someone else's comment.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#54  Edited By asurastrike

@FourWude said:

Proof if ever there was needed in this thread (there wasn't really, I'm being facetious) that crticising the US military is still completely out of bounds in the US.

As the nation goes to shit, people worship at the very thrones of those partaking in its downfall, whether they realise it or not....

I can understand criticizing the military as a whole, and I can definitely agree with criticizing the government, but I think soldiers should be respected. But hey, it's just like, uh, my opinion, man.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#55  Edited By ajamafalous

@SSully said:

This thread is going amazingly. Anyone want to throw in the Michael Jackson gif where he is eating popcorn?

Damn, I'd totally have your back if I knew how the hell to get gifs working on here. Last time I tried (admittedly, years ago) it didn't work.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By iam3green

this post reminds me of a south park episode. it was where the kids had to write about a war veteran. they write it on one of the kid's uncle jimbo. he starts talking about the faris wheel ride, and roller coaster while he was in Vietnam. pretty funny. 

war is bad, my cousin was in it. he sometimes stayed up for 3 days straight.

fullmetal5550

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#57  Edited By fullmetal5550
@FourWude said:

Proof if ever there was needed in this thread (there wasn't really, I'm being facetious) that crticising the US military is still completely out of bounds in the US.

As the nation goes to shit, people worship at the very thrones of those partaking in its downfall, whether they realise it or not....

It is not out of bounds in the US. Almost everyone I know criticizes the military. Criticizing the people in the military for taking a break is a much different situation though. How would you like it if you were on break at your job and someone came up to you and told you to get off your ass and get back to work?
J12088

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By J12088
@ShadowSkill11 said:

You really are an ass. Just so you know? The people raging about the US military in here? Be it true or not? That reputation that it's got itself? It's cause of people like yourself. You're responsible. Again: You're an ass.
frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#59  Edited By frankxiv
@ajamafalous said:

@SSully said:

This thread is going amazingly. Anyone want to throw in the Michael Jackson gif where he is eating popcorn?

Damn, I'd totally have your back if I knew how the hell to get gifs working on here. Last time I tried (admittedly, years ago) it didn't work.

you just have to insert an html block and put the image html business there, like
chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By chrissedoff
@FourWude: soldiers get paid like shit
Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Turambar
@FourWude said:

Nah, we're just hating on you because that view is retarded for social, military, and economic reasons.  A soldier in a combat zone with not R&R at all is more likely to start bucking under pressure, suffer combat fatigue, and perform poorly in actual operations.  Upon coming home, he is more likely to suffer from post traumatic stress, fail to transition back into civilian life, and all that extra support costs tax payer dollars.  Also saying soldiers in combat zones don't deserve rest is just fucking retarded regardless of one's view on the war they are in.  

No, you're just a fucking idiot with nothing of value to add to this conversation.
DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By DystopiaX

@fullmetal5550 said:

@FourWude said:

It is not out of bounds in the US. Almost everyone I know criticizes the military. Criticizing the people in the military for taking a break is a much different situation though. How would you like it if you were on break at your job and someone came up to you and told you to get off your ass and get back to work?

This. Also making people work in stressful situations such as war and not giving them time to relax/destress would probably cost MORE money in psychiatric therapy and job performance fuckups than letting them sit around at picnic tables and splash around in a pool they probably didn't spend money on to build or use.

Plenty of people I know criticize both the military and the war, but hating on soldiers for doing ordinary things or just doing their jobs is idiotic.

fullmetal5550

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By fullmetal5550
@J12088 said:
@ShadowSkill11 said:

You really are an ass. Just so you know? The people raging about the US military in here? Be it true or not? That reputation that it's got itself? It's cause of people like yourself. You're responsible. Again: You're an ass.
I think Shadow was just trying to make a joke. I am almost sure that the reason the US military got that type of reputation is because of untrue stereotypes.
Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Gizmo

I cannot condone anything related to the U.S Military, due to having a soul.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Turambar
@Gizmo said:
I cannot condone anything related to the U.S Military, due to having a soul.
You don't condone the deployment of military personnel for logistical support in the distribution of humanitarian aid in Haiti and Japan after their earthquakes?
Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#66  Edited By Subjugation

Some of you are completely retarded. You derped your way over the original post and failed to realize that it is filled with pictures of soldiers relaxing and having some fun. So the "game" the topic creator was referencing would be some weird WiiSports: Iraq Edition, not Call Of Shooting Dudes: Modern Monotony. And if you want to get up on a soapbox and rant, make your own topic and stop derailing this one.

Glad to see you had some fun over there ShadowSkill11.

YogoPogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By YogoPogo
@FourWude said:

Hey I'm as left-wing as they come in America and I'm a little embarrassed that you and me probably agree on a lot of things because you are a ridiculous self-absorbed dumbass. Please change your political/social views so they are less like mine and also get back to us when you graduate 9th grade and stop wearing Che Gueverra t-shirts. Thank you, comrade.
Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Capum15
@weeman105 said:

Some of you are completely retarded. You derped your way over the original post and failed to realize that it is filled with pictures of soldiers relaxing and having some fun. So the "game" the topic creator was referencing would be some weird WiiSports: Iraq Edition, not Call Of Shooting Dudes: Modern Monotony. And if you want to get up on a soapbox and rant, make your own topic and stop derailing this one.

Glad to see you had some fun over there ShadowSkill11.

This.

I wonder what the Quick Look for that would be like.
beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By beej

@actionTACO said:

@ShadowSkill11 said:

i don't think you get to play the "if you don't like it, you can git out!" card and then get criticize someone for rehashing tired talking points... just saiyan

in anycase, i hear ARMA is a pretty accurate model of the military. maybe you guys should czech it out!

Well I was gonna point this out but somebody beat me to it.

@ShadowSkill11 said:

I'm confused as to why you're blaming foreigners while also telling Americans to get out of this country? Are they not to blame for voicing their views, or are they not Americans because you want them out of the country? As was pointed out saying that you are concerned about why someone would want to enter the military right now isn't mutually exclusive with trying to actually engage in serious change. Hell for all you know Mcghee could be advocating for a small, national guard style army used exclusively for self defense. That's a view that's more traditional in America than our current army. Or hell he could even have concerns about how the army is largely made up of certain demographics and how this represents an attempts to foist the cost of war on someone other than society at large. These are valid concerns.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By NTM
@Liber said:

I wonder how many people here actually been to any kind of military.

some of the posts in this thread are completely ignorant.

Ignorant? I'd be a little more harsh and say idiots. Personally, I haven't served, and don't plan to fortunately, or unfortunately, the reader could decide. A lot of people on gaming sites I'd say don't know half the stuff they're talking about when it comes to politics, war, and so on, even if they were to strongly believe they do. It'd be better to not say anything. By the way, I'm really hating all the diversity shit in the forums, where people keep hating on the U.S. and maybe then vice versa (though for some odd reason less often. Huh, strange!) Idiots, just idiots. 
Quacktastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Quacktastic

Hey look, some fun pictures.  Better say something retarded!

NOT MY PRESIDENT.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#73  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming
@ShadowSkill11 said:

Come on EA and Activision. How about Call of Duty: Green Zone or Medal of Honor: Signal Corps?

If you were really in the war, you either wouldn't say that, not even as a joke, or you're completely fucking insane.
Liber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Liber

@NTM said:

@Libersaid:

Ignorant? I'd be a little more harsh and say idiots. Personally, I haven't served, and don't plan to fortunately, or unfortunately, the reader could decide. A lot of people on gaming sites I'd say don't know half the stuff they're talking about when it comes to politics, war, and so on, even if they were to strongly believe they do. It'd be better to not say anything. By the way, I'm really hating all the diversity shit in the forums, where people keep hating on the U.S. and maybe then vice versa (though for some odd reason less often. Huh, strange!) Idiots, just idiots.

I never understood where all that U.S hate is coming from o_0 Why people hate U.S so much ?

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#75  Edited By leebmx

If this thread was actually people in a room talking it would just be everyone with their fingers in their ears shouting as loudly as possible at no-one in particular....

Praab_NZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Praab_NZ

I dont think at any point Shadowskill was promoting war, so you all have really constructed your own argument in someone elses topic.

I suggest you think about what you have done.

Sincerely

Reason

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#77  Edited By Ramone

This thread is awesome

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#78  Edited By BladeOfCreation
@TheDudeOfGaming said:

@ShadowSkill11 said:

Come on EA and Activision. How about Call of Duty: Green Zone or Medal of Honor: Signal Corps?

If you were really in the war, you either wouldn't say that, not even as a joke, or you're completely fucking insane.
That is not necessarily true.  Poking fun like this may just be his way of coping.  People use all different ways of dealing with the stress of being deployed, both during and after.
Avatar image for bladeofcreation
BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#79  Edited By BladeOfCreation

Eh, it seems like the OP was making a comment about the plethora of supposedly "realistic" modern war games that come out these days.  I happen to think the genre is saturated and even a bit tasteless, as I feel it glorifies real war in a way I don't agree with.  At any rate...so much hate in this thread--from both sides it seems.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#81  Edited By Red12b
@FourWude said:
@Axxol said:

@FourWude said:

Taxpayer money being put to fantastic use.
Yeah, how dare soldiers have fun on their off time. Especially when they're deployed in a shit hole like Iraq for a year.

Have fun on their own time with their own money. I'm not against that. They get paid a salary, use it. 

Iraq was never meant to be a vacation anyway. Don't like it, leave the country.

...idiota
TanoPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By TanoPrime

If you don't like America, then you can Git out!!!  Also, this thread is man love at its peak.  Hawtz...
Loose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Loose

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#84  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

@FourWude said:

@Turambar said:
@FourWude said:
@Axxol said:

@FourWude said:

Yeah, how dare soldiers have fun on their off time. Especially when they're deployed in a shit hole like Iraq for a year.

Have fun on their own time with their own money. I'm not against that. They get paid a salary, use it.

You usually say things I disagree with, but still have merit and thought to them. That was just fucking retarded.

What I'm saying is, war spending is bloated in the US.

Don't complain about budget deficits and failing economies when you piss more money away in these wars on superfluous spending. War is hell, that's what it has always been. The soldiers who signed up should know this. It's not a vacation.

If this post sounds retarded, I'm glad to be one.

If you had the slightest idea how much one missile cost you would realise how insignificant the budget for those kind of activities. Also if we all agree that war is hell do you think they should suffer for months at a time without having a single break? Also why don't you try joining the army and go to Iraq after that tell me if those kind of activities are really unnecessary.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By zeforgotten

It would probably get turned into a wii game and be called "War Sports: Resort"

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By laserbolts

It's nice to see that soldiers over there actually get some time to relax and unwind. I can't imagine how horrible it must be over there. I'm not an American but I admire that there are people out there brave enough to do what you guys do. Also @ZeForgotten I like the idea of war sports resort just saying.

DEMONOLOGY_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By DEMONOLOGY_24

Its funny how simple threads like this turn into shit stormsin like 0 to 60 seconds
bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#88  Edited By bacongames

@DEMONOLOGY_24 said:

Its funny how simple threads like this turn into shit stormsin like 0 to 60 seconds

And all it takes is one asshole. Wonderful.

Basically the answer is the story of Six Days in Fallujah. The politics are unfairly critical of making a game about this war and as a result it'll likely never get made until it's over for a good number of years.

DEMONOLOGY_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By DEMONOLOGY_24
@Tuffgong said:

@DEMONOLOGY_24 said:

And all it takes is one asshole. Wonderful.

Basically the answer is the story of Six Days in Fallujah. The politics are unfairly critical of making a game about this war and as a result it'll likely never get made until it's over for a good number of years.

I don't know if that statement is pointed towards me or some other duder
TorMasturba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By TorMasturba

@FourWude said:

@Turambar said:
@FourWude said:
@Axxol said:

@FourWude said:

You usually say things I disagree with, but still have merit and thought to them. That was just fucking retarded.

What I'm saying is, war spending is bloated in the US.

Don't complain about budget deficits and failing economies when you piss more money away in these wars on superfluous spending. War is hell, that's what it has always been. The soldiers who signed up should know this. It's not a vacation.

If this post sounds retarded, I'm glad to be one.

I can tell from what you're saying that you have never served, and that you self-righteously think that even though you've never experienced army life for yourself, you have the right to say what a soldier does or doesn't deserve for his large efforts. I'm ex-army, British parachute regiment, and what it sounds like to me is that as an ex-soldier I should've been on duty 24/7 with no compassion for my physically and mentally organic human-animal nature. No rest away from the physical stresses that come with fighting in many, many different fights throughout a war, and no down time to allow me to recoup from any of my mental wounds in the armour, caused by a friend being shot dead right in front of me, or very near by.

Or being caught in a tight and openly exposed area of cover with not enough back-up, ammunition or armaments, simply because they hadn't arrived in my area yet, not knowing if some sniper or normal soldier on the opposing side has his gun aimed straight at my head or my friend's head.

Down time is there to break the constant fighting up, to stop post-traumatic syndrome.

You have the right to freedom of speech, which also allows for you to shut the fuck up, so I suggest you use that right to keep it inside your head next time. Mr. Type-writer yellow Toughguy.

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bunch of naked dudes playing basketball in a pool. Sounds like a game to me

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Shitstorm in a teacup, right here.

KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#93  Edited By KarlPilkington

Cos that would make a shit game.

TorMasturba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By TorMasturba

@FourWude said:

I'm british and even I think you're a piece of shit.

mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By mnzy
@TorMasturba said:

@FourWude said:

I'm German and I second this.
zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By zeforgotten

@mnzy said:

@TorMasturba said:

@FourWude said:

I'm German and I second this.

I'm Danish and I stopped caring long ago

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#97  Edited By citizenkane

@S0ndor said:

Bunch of naked dudes playing basketball in a pool. Sounds like a game to me

Let the games begin!

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#98  Edited By buft
@ShadowSkill11 G.I waterpolo sounds like a plan
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#99  Edited By Hailinel

@Liber said:

@NTM said:

@Libersaid:

I never understood where all that U.S hate is coming from o_0 Why people hate U.S so much ?

That is a can of worms that really doesn't need to be opened. Let's just leave it at the fact that other nations do not approve of everything America does and call it a day before this thread gets even more derailed than it already is.

Arabes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By Arabes
@ShadowSkill11: You're a funny fucker dude :) Shame so few people can have a conversation about the lighter side of war.