Steam Winter Sale 2016!

• 125 results
TreeTrunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

DOOM is so incredibly satisfying and visually stimulating that it's exhausting. Exhausting in a VERY GOOD way. Excellent game.

TreeTrunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102  Edited By TreeTrunk
@fnrslvr said:

I caved and bought Dishonored 2 last night. It's been kinda hard to decipher from the media coverage whether this is gonna be a game I'll like enough to feel good about finding 60 kangaroo dollars to spend on it, and 66% off Mankind Divided is a pretty appealing alternative as a classic Deus Ex fan, but the original Dishonored is pretty fresh in my mind from the previous Steam sale so that kinda pushed me over the edge.

Also got Rocksmith and a few smaller games.

Dude it's much cheaper in retail https://www.ebgames.com.au/pc-202862-Dishonored-2---Limited-Edition-PC

It comes with a steam key

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 46

@ezekiel said:

I ended up buying Abzu instead of Rise of the TR. Because...

Shallow but beautiful arthouse game > Soullessly generic AAA action game that costs five times as much

You literally said it right here......

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@ezekiel: I mean I don't know if she was a "weakling" for being in pain after she gets impaled on a piece of rebar.

You might say it was as realistic a reaction to injury as a videogame permits without seriously impeding gameplay.

Also if one wanted to be super reductive you might say that some might prefer to pay a bit more for a lengthy and varied campaign rather than a "shallow" 90 minute art house experience of primarily pressing up on the analog stick.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ezekiel said:

I ended up buying Abzu instead of Rise of the TR. Because...

Shallow but beautiful arthouse game > Soullessly generic AAA action game that costs five times as much

You literally said it right here......

Look at my last post again. You said I burned myself out on Rise by playing it for thirteen hours, which is where I cut off your post and what I bolded. That's what I'm saying no to.

Buying Rise was a lengthy decision. I wanted to wait until it was fifteen dollars or less, but I finally sucked it up because I wanted an action-adventure game with plenty of exploration. I do still wish they'd focus less on the action and remove almost all the cutscenes and talking, like in the solitary TR Anniversary.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By OurSin_360

Why derail a thread to argue about a game, just accept (or dismiss) the opinion and move on.

on/off topic, i got a gift certificate for amazon and man they have gone back leaps and bounds on their pc gaming content. Thinking about buying a couple steam cards lol.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By Ezekiel

@humanity said:

@ezekiel: I mean I don't know if she was a "weakling" for being in pain after she gets impaled on a piece of rebar.

You might say it was as realistic a reaction to injury as a videogame permits without seriously impeding gameplay.

Her moans, cries and anguish continue through more than half the game. I didn't believe this inexperienced girl wearing nothing but a tank top could survive the harsh conditions, completely dominate an island of armed men and make such a change by the end of the game. The person we see in the cutscenes doesn't match the one we play as. They only explain it briefly through one of her monologues, in which she says that she did some treks and target practice with Roth, but it's bullshit that we never see it, considering how powerful she is and the fact that she has never been in a life or death situation or killed anyone. All the abuse and her gory, screaming death scenes together come off as trashy and sadistic. The devs must have realized that, seeing as the sequel is toned down. She has this meek expression and a voice that tends to breathe exasperatedly through almost every line, making her look even less imposing. I like strong protagonists in my action movies.

fnrslvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for rhombus_of_terror
Rhombus_Of_Terror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I saved up quite a bit and bought;

Dark Souls 2 SotFS / Dark Souls 3 DE, DOOM, Abzu, Inside, Final Fantasy 9, Dragon's Dogma DA and EYE Divine Cybermancy. Should take me a year to finish I guess.

anden4300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

So far i've bought CS haven't played that for like 8 years. That game never gets old.

Also Euro Truck Simulator 2 - i have been thinking about buying that game for the last 6 months, wondering if i would actually play it or not. But that really is one of the most relaxing podcast games i have ever played.

Lastly i'm thinking about buying God Eater 1&2 For 20£ just because of Jason's excitement for those games.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#111  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

Anybody have any recommendations of gems that are on major sale for low prices? We've got all these big name titles that we easily see the sale of, but what about some of those smaller obscure titles that you can get for very very cheap?

Rahf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By Rahf

I'll hail To the Moon ($1.99) from the rooftops until I die. Abyssmal gameplay-- really shoddy. But an absorbing and adult story with some clumsily realized characters. It's unlikely to leave you unaffected.

Axiom Verge ($8.99) is still a lovely Metroid-like adventure game. It is my previous mention's opposite, with a heavy story that doesn't deliver, but redeeming gameplay and neat ideas that draw inspiration from the older games it draws graphical inspiration from.

Undertale ($4.99)is summed up with the word whimsical. An RPG sporting some neat combat ideas and a cast of characters that you'll either adore or hate. I ended up absolutely adoring everyone's idiosyncratic nature.

TreeTrunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flashflood_29: Looking back I'm a bit embarrassed by it now but here's my steam review of a game called 'moonlight'

Short and sweet simple platforming game that broke the 4th wall in a way I really appreciated. Overall pleasant aesthetic and audio. Great controls and funny characters. I was emotionally impacted at the end not because of a sequence of depressing state of affairs, but because it turned out to be what I used to think of games when I was younger. It stayed with me for an unusually long time. I highly recommend against letting this one sit in your library unplayed. Developer is an awesome dude too.

Also, I'm going to try out the free Resident evil 7 demo

Heltom92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By Heltom92

Finally got Hitman, really enjoying it so far. Although all I've done is the first training mission, I did it a few times to get all the challenges.

Strangestories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Got a $50 steam gift card from my fiancé's mom for Christmas and I managed to get a lot and I still have $15 left. Might get Baldur's Gate 2 as well.

-Galactic Civilizations 2: Complete Edition

-Deus Ex: GotY Edition

-Downwell

-Homeworld Remastered Collection

-Rome: Total War

-Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion GotY Edition (Didn't get GotY Deluxe, oops)

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I also pickup the Titans upgrade for Planetary Annihilation for like 4 bucks. Still a flawed and somewhat content thin game and the re-release is kinda shady business, but at its core it's still a fun RTS like Total Annihilation and Supreme Commander.

SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Absolute Drift is on sale right now for about $5.99 which I highly recommend. It's not the $1 I got it for in a Humble Bundle, but it's still a great price for an addictively amazing game.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Hitman is really great and I am glad I bought it, but goddamn it is easy as fuck to Silent Assassin every mission. Before this game I think I only did it a handful of times over 3 games, but in this one it's kinda difficult not to.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@flashflood_29 said:

Anybody have any recommendations of gems that are on major sale for low prices? We've got all these big name titles that we easily see the sale of, but what about some of those smaller obscure titles that you can get for very very cheap?

From my wishlist (so note that these are games I haven't played but have reason to think are one day worth playing, also Canadian dollars):

• Iron Brigade is $1.69, 90% off (I think much of Double Fine's catalog is also steeply discounted)
  • MirrorMoon EP is $1.42, 90% off
  • Anomaly 2 is $1.69, 90% off
  • Stealth Bastard Deluxe is $2.19, 80% off
  • Brütal Legend is $1.69, 90% off

There are a bunch more in the $4-$6 CDN range I could list off like Dishonored 1, but those are the ones I have that are not as likely to get attention and also very cheap.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexw00d said:

Hitman is really great and I am glad I bought it, but goddamn it is easy as fuck to Silent Assassin every mission. Before this game I think I only did it a handful of times over 3 games, but in this one it's kinda difficult not to.

I think I'm glad we're past the era of the late 90s/early 2000s, when (what I think of as PC) stealth games like Hitman, Thief, Deus Ex, etc. had omniscient guards who would spot you from 3 miles away through a brick wall. I do agree that the "suspicion" indicator that tells you where a guy sees you from and takes surprisingly long to fill up is maybe too forgiving in some games, though.

SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flashflood_29 said:

From my wishlist (so note that these are games I haven't played but have reason to think are one day worth playing, also Canadian dollars):

• Iron Brigade is $1.69, 90% off (I think much of Double Fine's catalog is also steeply discounted)
  • MirrorMoon EP is $1.42, 90% off
  • Anomaly 2 is $1.69, 90% off
  • Stealth Bastard Deluxe is $2.19, 80% off
  • Brütal Legend is $1.69, 90% off

There are a bunch more in the $4-$6 CDN range I could list off like Dishonored 1, but those are the ones I have that are not as likely to get attention and also very cheap.

Thanks duder! I think I've been avoiding Brütal Legend because of the negative reception of the game turning into an RTS, but realized for the past year I've actually been itching for an RTS. With no Warcraft 3 remaster in sight for the near future, I think I may jump on BL. Thanks for those others suggestions.

@alexw00d said:

I really feel like this Hitman is less about score and more about making your own fun. I would have been fine without them having scores in the game and only including feats and challenges.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

@alexw00d said:

I think I'm glad we're past the era of the late 90s/early 2000s, when (what I think of as PC) stealth games like Hitman, Thief, Deus Ex, etc. had omniscient guards who would spot you from 3 miles away through a brick wall. I do agree that the "suspicion" indicator that tells you where a guy sees you from and takes surprisingly long to fill up is maybe too forgiving in some games, though.

I am a guy who was always a big stealth game fan (for example, Hitman Blood Money and Splinter Cell Chaos Theory are all time favorites) but with how much better modern stealth games are with player feedback, I find going back so difficult. Mark of the Ninja, Hitman, and MGSV are all great examples. I played Blood Money recently and just relying on a meter with no real feedback on what causes it to raise or which guards might be more suspicious than others is just jarring now.

In the first mission in Blood Money when I just played it, guards in the cellar were suspicious of me so that they would attack me after I killed one target for example but it was just one or two in there and without any feedback it felt really random.

It's improved the genre and made it more accessible too. Underrated in the new Hitman game is just how fucking good it is at the core.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#123  Edited By Captain_Insano

I've just picked up a few indie games - Undertale, Oxenfree, Firewatch.

Only 'Big' game I picked up was Company of Heroes 2.

I was thinking about Abzu but Journey didn't really do much for me. The Witness is one I'm considering as well but I don't know if I have the time or energy for that game.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By BisonHero

@artisanbreads: Yeah, old games of the stealth genre are so player unfriendly both in the feedback (or lack thereof) given to the player, and also in the unerring vigilance of all enemies/NPC. Absolution had the issue of just trying to be almost a different genre of game compared to older Hitmans, with its linear progression through levels with weird checkpointing, and trying way too hard to focus on its story and villains and whatnot. New Hitman strikes a good balance of retaining the classic feature of large sandboxes with multiple ways to accomplish a hit, while also having much better cues of what is happening and what your options are, while also not forcing a story down your throat and leaving it mostly in in-between mission cutscenes.

Also, man, when I think back on it, Mark of the Ninja is one of my favourite games from the past 5 years. No one thing about it is stunningly original or new, but the whole thing is executed so masterfully, and it's so fun and engaging to play. Not all of Klei's games are my cup of tea, but Mark of the Ninja and Invisible, Inc. are just so damn well done.

Avatar image for zomgfruitbunnies
Zomgfruitbunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought games!

Slime Rancher, the HoMM bundle, and good ol' DoD Source because why not. All for about 30 Canada bucks.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are daily deals no longer a thing? Are the prices all just set for the sale?

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#127  Edited By Kidavenger

Are daily deals no longer a thing? Are the prices all just set for the sale?

Since they started allowing refunds, they no longer do the daily deals. Makes these sales rather boring now.

Judge_Dredd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Resident Evil 4 is 7 bucks, if anybody hasn't played it, please check it out! It's so damn good, aged like a fine wine as well. So fun.

And I recommend Duke Nukem 3D World Tour to everybody (13.99), the new episode by Levelord and Allen Blum is incredible! DOOM rules, and this is even better 90s style level design at times if you can believe it. By some of the masters of it!