Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Free to Play

Concept »

Free to Play titles allow a user to play a version of the game without paying an initial purchase fee, but generally require the purchase of microtransactions to access additional content.

When Will You Care About Free-To-Play Games?

• 160 results
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

Edited By jeff
     Sure looks like the real thing, right?
    EA officially released Need For Speed World this week, marking yet another attempt by the publisher to get into this... God, what are we calling it now? "Free-to-play" technically isn't accurate, since it has plenty of hooks in place for you to pay for extra items. Freemium? Is that the weird-sounding marketing guy term for "game that you can download and technically play for free but boy, we'd sure appreciate it if you bought some extra stuff to unlock better stuff for your game more quickly?" It's hard to keep track of all the different business models posing as games these days. Hmm... yeah, maybe I'm being overly reductive. Everyone keeps saying that this sort of thing is eventually going to take North America by storm... but I can't help but feel like we aren't going to get anywhere with any of these alternative business models until the companies publishing these games start treating their free-to-play games like they're pay-us-to-play games.

OK, you've got me. I haven't gone out and researched everysingle freely downloadable, micropayment-driven game in the world. So I can only really talk anecdotally. But it feels like every time I bite on one of these free games, I come away feeling like I've wasted my time. Need For Speed World is just the latest example, and the crazy part is that it's really not a bad game. It just doesn't feel current or particularly well-conceived. Visually, the game looks like it's one or two iterations back when you compare it to the other Need For Speed games EA has released. The convenience side isn't in place, either, but hey... maybe that's why the game's site still says "beta" on it, right? So even though the game offers gamepad support, it doesn't offer the things that fans of driving games would actually expect it to have. Like... reconfigurable buttons and keys might be nice. Also, from a design perspective, the game is rooted heavily in the Most Wanted era of open-world driving mixed with race events and the occasional cop chase, if that's your thing. But you're limited to only a handful of events, and it seems like you're sort of expected to grind against these five or six races until you can level up and unlock one or two more options for your race grind.

Though only barely related to anything I'm talking about here, TrackMania does an ad-supported free version that feels more like a proper game while still limiting meaningful features to paid customers.
     Though only barely related to anything I'm talking about here, TrackMania does an ad-supported free version that feels more like a proper game while still limiting meaningful features to paid customers.
    Then there's the pay side. To get past level 10, you have to buy the Starter Pack for 20 bucks. Then you feed additional money into the system in exchange for "boost," which you can then exchange for powerups, like nitrous oxide speed boosts. Now, I don't know if you're into the Need For Speed series, but nitrous is sort of key to the experience in most of the other games. Well-timed nitrous use can mean the difference between first place and the middle of the pack. It gives the game a strategic side. While there are ways to freely earn additional uses of nitrous, the game seems to really want you to buy some more with actual money. It also has a ton of other powerups, like "slingshot," which just sort of makes your car go faster if you're behind. It's like you're turning up the game's rubberbanding at the touch of a button. Like NOS boosts, you're limited on slingshots, and all of the other game's power-ups, too. The end result? Most players today seemed to avoid the abilities completely, leaving behind a barebones driving game where are you do is peg the gas pedal down and hope for the best. Given the Need For Speed legacy, this is a pretty poor way to represent the series.

Add to that some dicey online glitches that have awarded me first place in races that I clearly lost on my end of the Internet, and you've got a sloppy game. If you went out and bought it in a box in July 2010, you'd feel like you made a poor choice. It'll probably get better--after all, this is only the first full day of proper, widely available service. But it's still a great example of the free-to-play problem, if you'll allow me to continue generalizing a bit. These games aren't as good as the ones we're already paying $50 or $60 to acquire. Forget about money, why would I want to level up my driving ability in NFS World or unlock additional weapons in GunZ: The Duel if the core game isn't actually worth the time investment? Persistent worlds only pay off when the world is good enough to make me feel good about investing all of that time. Most paid games can't even do that these days. Being that I'm not the most price-sensitive consumer in the world, how the heck is a free download supposed to compete with that?

I'm pretty sure the Z in GunZ stands for 'zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
     I'm pretty sure the Z in GunZ stands for 'zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz."
    There's no need to continue picking on NFS World. As these things go, it's probably one of the better ones. But by being directly comparable to a boxed retail product, its pay side seems way more damaging than most. The things that make Need For Speed feel like Need For Speed are made worse by having dollar amounts attached directly to their use. I wonder if Company of Heroes Online will feel the same way?

For awhile, I thought that SOE's Free Realms might actually usher in a bit of change. Not that it's some amazing MMO that you all must play or anything, but as a kid-focused online game, it felt well-made. It felt like a "real" game in spots. Of course, I'm not 11, so it also felt pretty boring after an hour or two. Now SOE is in the middle of a quick promotion to sell "lifetime memberships" to the game. For players hooked on the members-only content found in that game, dropping the equivalent of six months' worth of fees to play with that stuff forever is probably a pretty good deal.

But there I go again, talking more about the business models behind the games rather than the games themselves. And that's the real problem. Debating the dollars and sense behind these games has become more interesting than the third-tier gameplay experiences that are typically on offer. Perhaps that won't always be the case. Some maintain that there's an entire generation of kids out there getting used to these sorts of micropayments, and that a shift away from the traditional sales model for games is inevitable. I just hope that by the time those kids grow up and take over, the games they're choosing to (not) pay for have gotten better.

So where do you guys actually stand on these games? Are you playing any of this stuff? Do you actually enjoy any of it, or are you only playing it because better games cost too much?
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By jeff
    EA officially released Need For Speed World this week, marking yet another attempt by the publisher to get into this... God, what are we calling it now? "Free-to-play" technically isn't accurate, since it has plenty of hooks in place for you to pay for extra items. Freemium? Is that the weird-sounding marketing guy term for "game that you can download and technically play for free but boy, we'd sure appreciate it if you bought some extra stuff to unlock better stuff for your game more quickly?" It's hard to keep track of all the different business models posing as games these days. Hmm... yeah, maybe I'm being overly reductive. Everyone keeps saying that this sort of thing is eventually going to take North America by storm... but I can't help but feel like we aren't going to get anywhere with any of these alternative business models until the companies publishing these games start treating their free-to-play games like they're pay-us-to-play games.

OK, you've got me. I haven't gone out and researched everysingle freely downloadable, micropayment-driven game in the world. So I can only really talk anecdotally. But it feels like every time I bite on one of these free games, I come away feeling like I've wasted my time. Need For Speed World is just the latest example, and the crazy part is that it's really not a bad game. It just doesn't feel current or particularly well-conceived. Visually, the game looks like it's one or two iterations back when you compare it to the other Need For Speed games EA has released. The convenience side isn't in place, either, but hey... maybe that's why the game's site still says "beta" on it, right? So even though the game offers gamepad support, it doesn't offer the things that fans of driving games would actually expect it to have. Like... reconfigurable buttons and keys might be nice. Also, from a design perspective, the game is rooted heavily in the Most Wanted era of open-world driving mixed with race events and the occasional cop chase, if that's your thing. But you're limited to only a handful of events, and it seems like you're sort of expected to grind against these five or six races until you can level up and unlock one or two more options for your race grind.

Then there's the pay side. To get past level 10, you have to buy the Starter Pack for 20 bucks. Then you feed additional money into the system in exchange for "boost," which you can then exchange for powerups, like nitrous oxide speed boosts. Now, I don't know if you're into the Need For Speed series, but nitrous is sort of key to the experience in most of the other games. Well-timed nitrous use can mean the difference between first place and the middle of the pack. It gives the game a strategic side. While there are ways to freely earn additional uses of nitrous, the game seems to really want you to buy some more with actual money. It also has a ton of other powerups, like "slingshot," which just sort of makes your car go faster if you're behind. It's like you're turning up the game's rubberbanding at the touch of a button. Like NOS boosts, you're limited on slingshots, and all of the other game's power-ups, too. The end result? Most players today seemed to avoid the abilities completely, leaving behind a barebones driving game where are you do is peg the gas pedal down and hope for the best. Given the Need For Speed legacy, this is a pretty poor way to represent the series.

Add to that some dicey online glitches that have awarded me first place in races that I clearly lost on my end of the Internet, and you've got a sloppy game. If you went out and bought it in a box in July 2010, you'd feel like you made a poor choice. It'll probably get better--after all, this is only the first full day of proper, widely available service. But it's still a great example of the free-to-play problem, if you'll allow me to continue generalizing a bit. These games aren't as good as the ones we're already paying $50 or $60 to acquire. Forget about money, why would I want to level up my driving ability in NFS World or unlock additional weapons in GunZ: The Duel if the core game isn't actually worth the time investment? Persistent worlds only pay off when the world is good enough to make me feel good about investing all of that time. Most paid games can't even do that these days. Being that I'm not the most price-sensitive consumer in the world, how the heck is a free download supposed to compete with that?

I'm pretty sure the Z in GunZ stands for 'zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
     I'm pretty sure the Z in GunZ stands for 'zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz."
    There's no need to continue picking on NFS World. As these things go, it's probably one of the better ones. But by being directly comparable to a boxed retail product, its pay side seems way more damaging than most. The things that make Need For Speed feel like Need For Speed are made worse by having dollar amounts attached directly to their use. I wonder if Company of Heroes Online will feel the same way?

For awhile, I thought that SOE's Free Realms might actually usher in a bit of change. Not that it's some amazing MMO that you all must play or anything, but as a kid-focused online game, it felt well-made. It felt like a "real" game in spots. Of course, I'm not 11, so it also felt pretty boring after an hour or two. Now SOE is in the middle of a quick promotion to sell "lifetime memberships" to the game. For players hooked on the members-only content found in that game, dropping the equivalent of six months' worth of fees to play with that stuff forever is probably a pretty good deal.

But there I go again, talking more about the business models behind the games rather than the games themselves. And that's the real problem. Debating the dollars and sense behind these games has become more interesting than the third-tier gameplay experiences that are typically on offer. Perhaps that won't always be the case. Some maintain that there's an entire generation of kids out there getting used to these sorts of micropayments, and that a shift away from the traditional sales model for games is inevitable. I just hope that by the time those kids grow up and take over, the games they're choosing to (not) pay for have gotten better.

So where do you guys actually stand on these games? Are you playing any of this stuff? Do you actually enjoy any of it, or are you only playing it because better games cost too much?
    TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By TheHT

woah. for models where you have to pay to get past a certain level, i don't think you can even call those free to play. they're really more like trials.

it's weird. i always feel like there's something lacking the integrity of a game when there are obvious game breaking advantages to things you can purchase, but i find as far as models go the whole you can use real money to get this gear or grind a holy helluva lot to get ingame cash to get it to be more acceptable.

but then the game's gotta be good, and most of the free to play games i've played are only entertaining for a few days (or weeks). there's definitely an audience of people who can't pay monthly subscriptions who'll be interested in f2p or just folks down on cash or even bored with what they have who'll give these games a shot though. it's free so you don't have much to lose.

but shit, then you look at stuff like alien swarm and can't help but think of the potential of that game if it had some more money behind it. i guess i'll start really caring about these games when you get that kinda quality and a real clear sense of how it can grow.

Joshakazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Joshakazam

I like having a game in a case instead of one that relies on opening a browser to play.

monster9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By monster9999

whoa at late night news articles

matthew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By matthew

You mean Whoa to late night news articles.  Jeff was just waiting for Ryan and Vinny to finish up at the office...

ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By ISuperGamerI

I love free-to-play games and I have  been enjoying Need for Speed World, Company of Heroes Online, Battlefield Heroes and FIFA Online.

EDIT: Dungeons & Dragons Online and Allods Online are also great.

piropeople13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By piropeople13

Allods Online was super fun for me just because I wanted to try an MMO but didn't want to pay anything and I wasn't sure if I would like it.  I have many other games, but I come back to it occasionally.  I also don't feel bad about dropping a few bucks on some upgraded bag but that is only because I know I don't have to pay a dime to reach the endgame; it just takes more time if you don't buy the perfume and stuff.  So if you like free, it is good and free.  If you don't mind paying, it is crazy cheap compared to the competition and has good quality.  Allods is the only f2p game I have seriously played though.

DanOConnor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By DanOConnor

I've actually invested time in several free to play games Jeff, Including Gunz :/  - which i came away less than impressed with. 

I played DOMO, (Dreams of Mirror Online) as i wanted to try out an MMORPG and it's aesthetic appealed to me, and it's a pretty good game, really good considering it's free. I could see myself happily paying for it's features, i reccomend trying it out or at least investigating it. 

My favourite Free to play has been Shin Megami Tensei : Imagine (I think that's what it's called) It's like an adult version of pokemon as an MMO, fusing your monsters to create more powerful ones and levelling them up is really fun, sure the lack of voice acting and only a few songs gets a bit jarring but it's really good fun for a while.  

Oh and battlefield Heroes, but i don't want to speak of that....

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#9  Edited By spiceninja

I played Battlefield Heroes a few times but free-to-play just doesn't feel right to me. I'm used to paying for a full game and having completely optional DLC that won't effect my experience if I choose not to buy it. I just can't get behind microtransactions because I feel down the road I'm going to end up paying much much more for a game than I would if I just plopped down the $60 and got everything.

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By zanzibarbreeze

There just haven't been any games that have captured my interest yet. I'm not against the concept, but there's nothing there for me in that realm at this time. A free-to-play Uncharted would be pretty good. Let me tell you when that will happen, though: never.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Free to play only seems to work in Korea because they need something to kill time between Starcraft matches.

Cyber34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Cyber34

Yeah the issue of the F2P games not actually worth the time due to the core game not being good enough is a valid one. There's very few F2P games I'd ever go back to after the initial week of trying (I've played at least 100 of the buggers). S4 League comes to mind, League of Legends, Anarchy Online, Kingdom of Loathing.

It's hard to strike the balance of how much you can get for free and how much of a push there is to pay them money to stay competitive / stay not-horribly grindy.

spekingur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By spekingur

Trackmania Nations Forever is a complete game and should be viewed as one rather than the lesser version of a paid game.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By JJOR64

God, I remember GunZ.  It was cool at first. then I realized I would have to do a shit ton of grinding to get decent equipment.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By Diamond

I've sampled some free-but-there's-a-catch games like BF Heroes, some 'free' MMOs, and a few others.  Even ignoring the aspects of these games which you have to pay for, I've felt like those games were significantly lower quality even than completely free games like Alien Swarm or Trackmania Nations.

If they can start making higher quality gaming experiences in these initially free games I think there's still an incredible amount of questions as to whether they're worth any 'real' gamer's time.  

Certainly a FPS or racing game or any other genre where people can buy special powers or weapons that non-players can't isn't worth anyone's time (when you're paying real money to win matches, it's no longer a game, by the definition of 'game').

If it's a matter of pieces of content, like 'pay $10 to explore area X', it's a more favorable question.  I still STRONGLY prefer a whole complete game for a reasonable price.  Give me a free part of a game and I'll treat it like a demo.

DanOConnor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By DanOConnor

OH AND COMBAT ARMS! 

sorry but i actually lke that game, it was the first one i know to introduce points for a NUT SHOT 

spekingur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By spekingur

Oh and I much rather like browser based F2P games than downloading a gigabyte or two, install, play, become disappointed and uninstall. Lots of hassle to be disappointed. 
    That why I like Tiger Woods Online and FIFA Online (although that one requires some install). 

Then, of course, one could point out Alien Swarm...

Sil3n7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By Sil3n7

Really well written. I personally have the same feeling for these games. Like you said, the games need to be enticing enough where a consumer wants to spend time and hopefully money in the world. By and large these games are not compelling enough for me to do that. Twelve year old children, who have no income, are attracted to these because it might be all they have not because they genuinely think these games are better experiences as a whole.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By animateria

As some one who tried a bunch of free-to-pay MMOs and such, the games that had a relatively long lasting appeal always had just enough perks for free players to feel like they aren't being too restricted for not buying any of their paid items.  Of course there's the occasional, "Man, I guess it wouldn't hurt to drop a few bucks into this", but I play em for months before quitting.

Of course most free-to-play MMOs don't balance that all too well, and even the well balanced ones end up feeling like you need to spend some money. Which is usually when I quit, they just aren't as good as a retail game I'd pay for.

From Jeff's description I'd say NFS: World is being absolutely poor at giving incentive for free players to continuously play the game. If you put them in a severe disadvantage over the paying customers, most of them will quit early on. In my experience, the best way to make people to pay for micro-transactions is to get them invested in the game long enough to care. 

Well... That said, I'd still quit when I finally decide that I need to buy items, so I'm not the best representation of the Free-to-Play player base I suppose.

Castro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Castro

I'm unemployed so I don't spend much money on games. I do dork around with the free ones from time to time and I have to say that I did enjoy the Tiger Woods Online game quite a bit. I haven't touched it in a few months though.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#21  Edited By beargirl1
    @JJOR64 said:
    " God, I remember GunZ.  It was cool at first. then I realized I would have to do a shit ton of grinding to get decent equipment. "
    GunZ wasn't all that bad. at the time, all the jumping around and sword stuff was pretty kick ass. 
    jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jeffgoldblum

It's weird to see everyone loving this article so much. 
    If say Kessler had written it they would all be saying how terrible it is. 
    I propose any experiment. Have both Kessler and Jeff write a news article, then switch the author name write before it is posted. I bet the Kessler article attached to Gerstmann will get a lot of love and the Gerstmann article attached to Kessler will get a lot of hate. 
    Back to the article at hand, I enjoyed it very much.

DizzyMedal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By DizzyMedal

I only ever used a sword in GunZ. Only just now see the humour in that.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ch3burashka

I have played many a F2P game (Runescape, Wolfteam, Combat Arms) and while playing, I enjoy it. However, afterwards it leaves a bad taste in my mouth, as if I'm wasting my time. I'm used to paying for my experiences, and free games have a cheap stigma, as if they weren't worth charging for. Besides, I value the game and the experience less if it's free.

drew327

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By drew327

I love the idea of some of the free to play MMOs.... DDO almost got me back in (more of an anti-MMO thing that kept me out).  It sounds like they have really nailed their pay options.  Overall though I agree- when a game is free to play I generally write it off as inferior, and since I have the surplus income to get a superior experience for 60 bucks, I'm going that route. 

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#26  Edited By KowalskiManDown

I played a bunch of Runescape 5 or 6 years ago... but apart from crappy flash games... that's about all I've played. Like you said, these games are not up to standard, and probably never will be. Why would I want to play an outdated NFS game when I can play Burnout Paradise right now on my 360?

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Seedofpower

Don't forget about the guys who made torchlight. They are trying to pull that too. With a "free-to-play" mmo based off the same game.

Altrezia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#28  Edited By Altrezia

I DO care about free to play games, but only if they are worth playing. That's been the problem so far.

Contra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Contra

I've played a significant amount of free to play games.
    From Silk Road Online and the countless Korean MMO's through to Trackmania.

There are only 2 times I have dropped money on something I was doing for free.

Trackmania.  I wanted the extra creative modes, and so on in that game.  Even if I don't get to play them online; the other tracks to create are cool and fun.

Minecraft.  I played the multiplayer, and decided it was well worth dropping£10 into.  And into the InfDev mode it game me, I have sunk countless hours into, and don't regret it for a second.

Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Tordah

All these "free" microtransaction games feel pretty silly now since Alien Swarm was released.

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#31  Edited By Vorbis

Honestly I have always been put off by free-play-games, I have never had a problem paying a monthly fee for access as I know I'm on equal ground with everyone else. I feel like if I got into a free-to-play game I would be at a disadvantage to those who pay extra. Then there's the worry that I wouldn't be able to control myself and would keep buying stuff until I'm eventually spending more than a monthly fee.

I also kind of feel that some of these free games don't have as much effort put into them as other games, rather than a paid MMO where they are built around getting you to play as long as possible, some free games are built around putting you into a position where you need to pay for something extra.

Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Tordah

Oh, I forgot about League Of Legends. That game does microtransactions right. You can buy alternate skins/costumes for the heroes as well as stuff that lets you level up faster, etc, but the key thing is that they're all optional. I never paid for any of that stuff and I didn't feel like I was missing out on anything.

Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#33  Edited By Jazz

Maybe?

Blitzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Blitzer

Never.

Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 13

#35  Edited By Chris2KLee

I have to agree with Jeff. i have found most of the Free-to-Play games I've tried left me wanting. I kinda liked the idea behind GunZ, but it feels like a shell of a game. I will still gladly pony up $50-60 dollars for a full game experience.

CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By CaptainObvious

The only freemium game I play is League of Legends, because it feels like an actual retail product. Which it also is.

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By davidwitten22

I just learned these things existed.

Kajaah117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Kajaah117

Editorials on Giant Bomb? Me likey! More please.

Santar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Santar

I really hope games don't evolve into only being subscription based.
    I never pay subscriptions to play any game.
    I buy my games once and then I should be able to play them whenever and wherever I want. 
    Not be dependent on some other external factor, like servers or internet connection.
    And yes I know WHY they charge for mmo's but I don't give a crap. I refuse to subscribe to play any game.
     The same goes for games that require a internet connection to run, I will never accept that.
    When I buy the game I own it and should be able to use it how I see fit. And yes I know you only buy a liscense and not he game blablabla. I don't give a crap about that either.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bfc7e53edc72
    deactivated-5bfc7e53edc72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Quake Live dude, Quake Live. Play it all the time.

Ulong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Ulong

Yah league of legends is pretty much The free to play game in terms of quality. Aside from the server issues they have (I don't think they expected the game to be popular so they aren't ready for the server load.) the game is of a great quality and loads of fun.

You can unlock everything gameplay related (like new champions) really easy just by playing, the only thing you have to spend money on is if you want silly little cosmetic changes to your character. I bought a couple to support the game and cause they looked cool. But I could play the game just aswell had I not spend that money.
    To many "Free to play" games require you to spend money to actually enjoy the game properly, or worse even be able to play at a competetive level at all.

Pop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#42  Edited By Pop

I played a lot of free to play mmos and some are decent some are bad some have really stupid micro management. Most of them maybe all of them have extremely amount of grinding, I was playing this one game called zu online and I liked it I reached level 8 and got into this big city and saw they have an auction house and I had some money(I forgot the name of the currency) and I saw at the AH that they had gold and silver and copper and I didn't have that, so I searched online turns out my money couldn't buy anything off the AH I had to pay real money to get trade money to use the AH and other stuff. One game even had a built in bot so it could grind and it could heal up and stuff I think they were saying so you can play the game while you aren't playing the game I was like 0.o what? That same game had experience potions which you could drink and logoff and still level up. You get one free then you have to pay for it. Wow I talked a lot im gonna stop now. I also stoped playing free2play games cause I realized none of them are good if you want a good mmo choose one that has a monthly subscription or something like guildwars you only have to buy it once and then it's f2p.    

rev_vadaul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By rev_vadaul

F2P games don't generally appeal to me but I am curious about how LOTRO going free.  I'll probably give that a go because the one thing I hate about MMOs is the pressure monthly fees create so if I'm paying for content by other means I can live with that.

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By jeffgoldblum
    @Santar said:
    " I really hope games don't evolve into only being subscription based. I never pay subscriptions to play any game. I buy my games once and then I should be able to play them whenever and wherever I want.  Not be dependent on some other external factor, like servers or internet connection.And yes I know WHY they charge for mmo's but I don't give a crap. I refuse to subscribe to play any game. The same goes for games that require a internet connection to run, I will never accept that. When I buy the game I own it and should be able to use it how I see fit. And yes I know you only buy a liscense and not he game blablabla. I don't give a crap about that either. "
    This article had nothing to do with subscriptions...
    dfsvegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By dfsvegas

When the games start being fun to play. Quake Live and Battlefield Heroes, for example, are just boring. 

If TF2 had been a free, ad supported game, I would have played it the same ammount. Actually, considering the fact that game has evolved so much over the last 2 years, it's basically been 3-4 different games since it's realease. It's been more than a return on my $20 investment. 

Actually, TF2 is the best model for this, except they just charged a small fee upfront, rather than putting in ads, and supported it for a long, long time at no extra charge. 

Hmmmmmm... I wonder how financially viable it would be to create a game of TF2's quality, support it with ads, and update it like Valve did. This needs to be explored.

delicious_lie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#46  Edited By delicious_lie

I've played a couple free-to-play games of various types.
    The worst have to be facebook games. Trying to sell you superiority over your friends is so sleazy.

ChrisTaran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#47  Edited By ChrisTaran

Never.

TheAdmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 8

#48  Edited By TheAdmin
    @Kajaah117 said:
    " Editorials on Giant Bomb? Me likey! More please. "
    This. 

Also, I hate the "Fremium" model of gaming. It means they make a tolerable base game and put all the good stuff behind pay walls - but of course, advertising that stuff  comes with the base game. 
    miva2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#49  Edited By miva2

I played Battlefield Heroes for a while. It's still a good game. I lost interest in it pretty quickly though. and paying around 20 bucks for a personalized character is just retarded. mmorpg's aren't really my thing. While they do seem interesting on paper, they turn out to be uber stupid games with gay combatsystems. (flyff, rappelz, runescape, maybe some i can't remember). The one i liked the most was Air Rivals, but that game was more focussed on action and flying around in your plane. Got bored of it pretty quickly too though. Would like to try it again, even if it's just for half an hour.

Detrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#50  Edited By Detrian

On one hand, I think Jeff forgets that a game costing a bunch of money doesn't really mean shit about its quality. Something I think he would know with him having bought a lifetime membership to Star Trek Online.     

On the other hand, I think there really is quite a huge market for these games;  The thing is that this model is used in a huge number of games so generalizing and thinking all of them are crappy and that no one cares about them is retarded; although I guess it doesn't help that Need for Speed World just did theirs in the most stupid way possible. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.