Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

God of War III

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Mar 16, 2010

God of War III puts players back in the role of Kratos to continue his brutal and bloody war against Olympus as he sets his sights on Zeus himself.

Anyone else think GOW 3 isnt as epic as the first 2?

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By ravensword

While I admit im not quit done with it yet, so far im not really impressed by the story of the game or the Grand adventure all together. In teh first God fo war, the quest really seemed like a suicide mission. Kill a God? is that even possible? You than embark ona grand quest, climb atop a titan, traverse the giant mountain/Castle thing on top of Kronos's back, go through tons of mazes, traps, areas, and enemies, and when you finally go through that gigantic epic trial, you finally find pandoras box. Which was satisfying as all hell to get to. You than open it and battle mono e mono against Aries, the god of freaking war. And its a long, tough fight. And when you finally kill him, your like "Holy **** I just killed a god.". this game had such a great build up because we all know that a god cannot die, but yet Kratos found a way. He went through hell and back, and found a way to slay a all powerful being.

Now, lets go to the second game. You are now the new god of war, all powerful and what not. You assist your Spartan Brethren, and get your pwers zapped by Athena. you are reduced to a mortal man again, and get killed by zeus, for reasons at the time unkown. You then, go to Hades, are saved by the Earth Titan Gaia, and must embarkon another epic quest to reverse your fate. You then go through another large structure and traverse many traps, enemies, and even encounter other beings of Greek Mythology. You battle the sisters of fate, and go back in time to stop yourself from being killed, adn then the game closes with you riding atop gaia, and with other titans, climb to mount Olympus to engage in a epic battle of Gods and Titans. Which leads to a great expectation to the third game.

Now, I must say that I am fully enjoying what im playing of three, but I am not getting the same epic Quest feeling that I got from the first 2 games. In teh first game, Killing a god was unthinkable. And when you finally do it, you cant believe it yourself. the second game has to change fate, which seemed also Unthinkable. youdefyed all odds, andprevailed. Both games really felt like a suicide mission, and Kratos, espeacilly in the first game, felt more human than anything.

But in this game, hes killing gods with relative ease. It lookslike hes not even breaking a sweat. I already killed like 3 gods, and none of them were a epic build up or encounterlike Aries was. It seemed like no big deal, espeacilly since they were all the size or realtively normal sized things. or atleast not nearly as huge as they are when theyre usually in the human world.

maybe I miss the grand adventure of it all, the hopelessness of the task at hand. in this game, Kratos is doing everything with ease. Theres no struggle, no nothing. Just "Im still a mortal, but im kicking god ass left and right."    

Ecinsiefil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Ecinsiefil

When I first started playing God of War I thought it was possible to kill Gods in Greek mythology.
    Not only that, I had no idea who the Sisters of Fate were or why changing your fate was such a big deal when I played GoW2.

I don't really see how anyone can think GoW3 is not an epic adventure. Kratos has all of the Gods against him, and he's going out for one last slaughtering session before he puts himself to rest.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ravensword
    @Ecinsiefil:

Im jsut saying, hes killing them rather easily with really no build up to the epic battle.
    Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Akeldama

Is God of War 3 the best in the series? No. 

Is God of War 3 the most EPIC game in the series? Fuck yes it is.  

Chronos says hi.

Ecinsiefil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Ecinsiefil

Wasn't GoW2 the build up, though? I see where you're coming from, and I imagine it would seem like an unremarkable adventure if you were to just play GoW3, but I think - considering how the game ties up the other two games - the devs intended for us to play them one after another, as if they were a single game.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ravensword
    @Ecinsiefil:

I played 1 and 2, and those games were epic. Im just saying, to me personally, the quest isnt quit as epic in 3 to me personally. Now that I know Kratos can kill gods pretty easily.
    spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By spankingaddict

i agree, its not as good or as epic as the first 2, but its still pretty amazing...

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ravensword

Maybe ill change my tune once I beat it.
    sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#9  Edited By sjschmidt93

It's probably the most epic. 

Not the best, though,

Victorymaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By Victorymaker

GOW2 was definitely the best one.

the_pink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By the_pink

GOW3 though Very Epic not as good as  GOW2 for me

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By xyzygy

To be honest, ever since the first GoW, I never had that "Holy shit, I just killed a God" feeling. I mean, these are video games, and it's not such a farfetched thing to do in a fictional universe. It just never had that epic feel to me, and I probably didn't like it because of how much of a dumbass meathead Kratos is. He never has anything smart, funny, useful to say, and the things he does are just so predictable and to me, not exciting. I guess I just don't like stories where it's like - Hey, I'm gonne go kill some big bad guys BRB. 

That being said, there were some impressive moments but it wasn't because I was killing a god or anything, it was just the scale of the environment and such. Nothing related to the story, characters, anything like that. Purely a visceral feeling and when I got back in control of Kratos I just kinda wanted those moments again, but no... I was controlling this dolt. After playing the game and kind of wanting it to end, it just left a bitter taste in my mouth. You'll see what I mean.

canucks23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By canucks23

I personally thought GoW2 was the best. I just played it again about a week ago and god damn that game was insane, especially for a ps2 game.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By EvilTwin

No, you crazy.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TwoOneFive
    @spankingaddict said:
    " i agree, its not as good or as epic as the first 2, but its still pretty amazing... "
    Bolduk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Bolduk

I disagree.

First one was fun but I only played the Hydra part... I know, I missed on good stuff, but at that time I just didn't like that kind of games. And even after getting back to it in the collection, I feel that there's something missing. Part 2 was pretty good in my opinion, but even if the cinematics kicked ass and general graphics and gameplay was tweaked up, I felt the same 'missing stuff that I have no clue about what it could be'. And part 3 was... a real revelation to me... it was perfect, gameplay, graphics, story. I never played a game that was so epic and action-packed.

My only complaint would be about all the useless killing for the point of... well of killing. I know, I know, it's the goal of the game to kill everyting, but some stuff just needs to remain alive. And believe me, I love bloody games.

*spoilers incoming*

Killing Hera was useless (except if you tell me that we need her dead body to activates the switches... but still.) She was Kratos' mother... even if she's a god too. And Kratos seeks redemption for killing his own wife and daughter, but logically, he's gonna kill his mother? Please don't tell me that he was about to kill her anyway since she's a godess. He just kept ignoring her until he was pissed and broke her neck! Oh and Aphrodite was a godess too and he didn't kill her so NO he does not kill every god.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By Jeffsekai

This topic would appear after the bombcast...

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By ProfessorEss

My buddy, who is a huge fan of the game, just beat it last night and kinda felt this way.
    He said the last half of the game in particular lacked the epic scale of the first 2 and a half games. 
    Still amazing, but not as huge a standout as the first two.

I'll be borrowing his copy soon to put together my own opinion, but from the looks of things I have a lot of Just Causin' to do before I get around to that.

septim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19  Edited By septim

I just played the first GOW in the Collection. I have no idea why people would say that the original is better than 3. The original had some really, really tedious sections, and had nowhere near the level of epic encounters that 3 has. Maybe you haven't played them recently...

The major criticism I have of 3 is that it is hamstrung by some of the lesser conventions of the series.

loldetaerleo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By loldetaerleo
    @Bolduk said:
    "  Killing Hera was useless (except if you tell me that we need her dead body to activates the switches... but still.) She was Kratos' mother... even if she's a god too. And Kratos seeks redemption for killing his own wife and daughter, but logically, he's gonna kill his mother? Please don't tell me that he was about to kill her anyway since she's a godess. He just kept ignoring her until he was pissed and broke her neck! Oh and Aphrodite was a godess too and he didn't kill her so NO he does not kill every god. "
    Hera aint his mother, he's a bastard child. 

Zeus bangs a shitload of chicks constantly, t'is fact.
    tomance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By tomance

I think GoW2 was more fun than 3.  3 definitely had some crazy oh shit moments though.  But Kratos felt like a really big dick in 3.  

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.