Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

God of War III

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Mar 16, 2010

God of War III puts players back in the role of Kratos to continue his brutal and bloody war against Olympus as he sets his sights on Zeus himself.

Should people be upset by GOW 3's formula?

Avatar image for ultimatepunchrod
    ultimatepunchrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By ultimatepunchrod

I read the review of God of War III on Giantbomb and saw that there was a complaint about the fact that the game doesn't shake things up in any way for the series, and i just thought, "Good. i dont want anything different." That's not to say that i dont want innovative game experiences in general, but i definitely dont want the third of a trilogy of games to be so vastly different from the previous installments that it is unrecognizable. Now that I've finished the game i think it is the most refined of the series. and that's the key to it. Refinement. it doesnt need to be very different because hacking and slashing with bloody satisfying combat is what those games are about. I also remember a while back when Devil May Cry 4 came out that a few reviewers complained for the same reasons. but thats what DMC and GOW are. they shouldnt try to be something else. anyway what do you folks think about the issue?

MmaFanQc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By MmaFanQc

always remember, a review=one dude opinion.....and you are not this dude.

the best reviews will always be from yourself.

for me, GOW3 had the perfect pace, a clever ending AND a cool cliffhanger to open the door for a new GOW related game.

the only problem i had with gow3, is......the game had to end(obviously)...sad puppy face :(

jNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By jNerd

No

FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By FiestaUnicorn

I don't see why it would make sense to change how a game plays if it's well liked and sells. 
    MmaFanQc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MmaFanQc

its like.......take Grandturismo5 and change it to a TPS.......yeah.... thats retarded.

DeShawn2ks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DeShawn2ks

If its ok for Uncharted, GTA, Halo, Call of Duty, Super Mario, Zelda then its ok for God of War.  Thats what I have to say about that.  Also reviews are only one dudes opinion not yours. 
    Damian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Damian

These guys have to let consumers know about this stuff. So, I guess you could call it complaining when someone says that GoW3 doesn't offer a lot of variety from what you've seen of the series up to this point. But I prefer to think of it as informing. Plus, as you've pointed out, you read that information and see it as a good thing. Someone else might read it and say "been there, done that. Pass!". So it's obviously useful information to put into a review. In fact, it's the only part of a GoW3 review that I care about. I've played and enjoyed every other GoW, so I can be pretty sure to enjoy this one. All I need to hear is that it's more of the same, and lo-and-behold, that's what the review has told me.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Binman88

It's fine to do the same thing over and over as long as it refines it like you said. However, the fact that it's stuff most people have seen before means it probably shouldn't score as well as a more innovative game. I've played a couple hours of the game so far and it's definitely not a "5 star" experience. 4 stars seems appropriate. It's probably a 5 star game for a huge fan of the series and the genre, but those aren't the people reviewing games, and rightly so.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By MikkaQ

I don't think anyone wanted any earth shattering changes to the formula, but maybe switching it up more than they did would have made for a better game. "Moar epic" is not exactly enough for a sequel, personally. You'd want that, plus something interesting, something new.  

GoW 3's a great game, just not a good sequel, it doesn't innovate like a good sequel should.  If it was the first GoW game (or character action game in general) I'd have played, it would have blown my mind into 8 pieces, but as it stands... it's nothing new really. 

I think these character action games stand out more as having sequels that don't innovate, basically because the whole genre's pretty much stagnant. They've been mostly the same since like... DMC 1 came out.  

I don't think anyone should be UPSET over this, like the title implies, and I don't think people really are, I just think if they switched things up and made a more original experience, it probably would have been even more well received than before. It wouldn't be the common complaint with the game, and that IS the games real big sore spot, the rest is nitpicking, really. 

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By ProfessorEss

Up to the individual. It doesn't bother me that it evolved very little on a gameplay level, and I'm often let down by games when they do.

At the same time I think people should be fair. I've seen so many sequels get hammered for this exact reason.

So next time a God of War 3 fan thinks of pulling a "Gears of War 1.5" style comment out of their ass, just try to remember how forgiving you were of this exact thing when God of War 3 was released. :)

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By Brendan

Ryan wasn't saying that it was wrong that the formula was the same just for the sake of it, he was saying that janky aspects of the formula that have been in the series from number 1 are still there.  Watch the quicklook, some of the camera style issues (falling off the bridge) are a staple of the series.  While third person action games (such as Batman:AA) have come along and brought new and more involved/compelling gameplay style, GOW has largely remained the same.  There are people out there who don't care at all, however, and like the game just the way it is.  You are one of those people, so just don't worry about it and have fun playing the game.
    RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By RobotHamster

I'm with you I like the game just as it is now, if it ain't broke why fix it.  But that's how Ryan felt so just respect his opinion (even though gow deserved a 5).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.