Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

God of War III

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Mar 16, 2010

God of War III puts players back in the role of Kratos to continue his brutal and bloody war against Olympus as he sets his sights on Zeus himself.

The year games exploded.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

I always like when a tent-pole game is released and there are those who are incredibly quick to bash it.

God of War 3 wascame out this week to near perfect reviews; GB's own Ryan Davis gave it a great score of 4/5 citing only familiarity as its main flaw. But there are those who would have you believe that, regardless of the fine-tuned mechanics or incredible scope, that GoW and other great releases like it, are not only unimportant, but simply disregard them. "Oh right then, so its God Of War", I read on the forums.

Well, yes, it is... but its God of War 2010 style!

Opinions are exactly that, and everyone is entitled to one, but consider: Over the last six months or so, roughly since Arkham Asylum's release, there have been a number of games which have kickstarted an evolution in game design. Mass Effect 2, Uncharted 2, Heavy Rain (and AA as mentioned) and many more have all pushed boundaries. Its likely that storytelling and fundamental gameplay mechanics will continue to push what we expect from the medium over the course of the next few years. Likewise, GoW3 creates an unparalleled experience; what it does well, it does incredibly so.

Appreciate the medium: you're witnessing a boom era. Games are exploding thanks to adventurous developers and risk-taking publishers. Revel in it and turn your vitriol to something that warrants it.......

Like Leisure Suit Larry.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always like when a tent-pole game is released and there are those who are incredibly quick to bash it.

God of War 3 wascame out this week to near perfect reviews; GB's own Ryan Davis gave it a great score of 4/5 citing only familiarity as its main flaw. But there are those who would have you believe that, regardless of the fine-tuned mechanics or incredible scope, that GoW and other great releases like it, are not only unimportant, but simply disregard them. "Oh right then, so its God Of War", I read on the forums.

Well, yes, it is... but its God of War 2010 style!

Opinions are exactly that, and everyone is entitled to one, but consider: Over the last six months or so, roughly since Arkham Asylum's release, there have been a number of games which have kickstarted an evolution in game design. Mass Effect 2, Uncharted 2, Heavy Rain (and AA as mentioned) and many more have all pushed boundaries. Its likely that storytelling and fundamental gameplay mechanics will continue to push what we expect from the medium over the course of the next few years. Likewise, GoW3 creates an unparalleled experience; what it does well, it does incredibly so.

Appreciate the medium: you're witnessing a boom era. Games are exploding thanks to adventurous developers and risk-taking publishers. Revel in it and turn your vitriol to something that warrants it.......

Like Leisure Suit Larry.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By EVO

Yeah, it's kinda scary how fast video games are progressing; in just 40 years we've gone from hitting a dot back and forth to gutting centaurs. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@EVO said:

" Yeah, it's kinda scary how fast video games are progressing; in just a few years we've gone from chasing monkeys with a net to Gods with a vengeance.

Fixed.
    danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By danielkempster

I hold completely the opposite opinion. As game development becomes ever-more expensive, I think this gaming generation illustrates the reluctance of developers to take risks and push the boundaries of video game design because failure equates to ruin. Because of this, developers are sticking to existing, established formulae that are guaranteed to make them money, and the result is an age of games characterised by uniformity. The video game market is flooded with shooters and sandbox games, all using the same rehashed gameplay mechanics and identical colour palettes. It's very rare  that a developer overcomes the fear to innovate, which is why innovation on the level seen in games like Heavy Rain is hardly ever seen. The previous generation of consoles saw some incredible advances in gameplay, but so far all this generation has achieved is providing gamers with a glossier, more cinematic presentation, and I find that very disappointing.

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By JazGalaxy

I don't undestand the romantic context people place the modern games industry in that suggests that developers are somehow brave, intrepid explorers pushing forth the "boundries" of gaming. 

That's just BS. 

Gaming doesn't "evolve", it's trendy. 

Heavy Rain doesn't do anything but what nearly EVERY GAME in the early ninties PC scene did... except with a lot more money behind it. Arguably it does it worse. 

All of these so called "boundries" that games are confined by, they imposed themselves by following blindly behind a trend. Adventure games became fighting games. Fighting games became FPS games. Now FPS games are becoming "cinematic action games". And then they will become something else. 

If gaming is really going to grow, then it needs to start making games of all types at all times instead of following the "buying a game is a vote for 10 more of the same game next year" model that gets us in a rut to begin with.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dankempster:@JazGalaxy:  Both your comments tie into each other, so I'll try and address them at theame time. When it comes to expense the gravity of a games success must weigh heavily on any publisher, and in turn, pressure the developers. Granted there are only a few games a year that push boundaries generally, my point was that in the last 6 moths, in various way, games have begun to break from their molds. This idea of trends in games is, hopefully (given what we're seeing) dissipating. Yearly sports titles have started to take hiatus (NHL being a prime example) and I'd argue that while Heavy Rain is derivative of 90's adventure titles, it more successfully grapples our emotions. It works on a very human level and the result is something which feels far less gamey.

There's a long way to go (and dankempster's point about risk taking is particularly important), but its a relatively young medium. Hardware innovations like Wii and Natal will hopefully spur more creative gameplay advances while developers continue to advance what we've become relatively used to in storytelling.

You're calling "cinematic adventure games" a fad, but given their relatively close release, it seems more like a natural development. Music games are enjoying a huge surge (for better or worse) and fighting games, too, have been reinvigorated, so I don't entirely agree with your "trends" argument, but I can see where you're coming from.

Edit: At the very least, this has spurred a bit of decent discussion.
    EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By EVO
    @dankempster said:
    " As game development becomes ever-more expensive, I think this gaming generation illustrates the reluctance of developers to take risks and push the boundaries of video game design because failure equates to ruin. "
    While this is true to some extent, you need to look at the bigger picture. Sure, most developers stick to proven formulas, but on PSN, XBLA, Wii Store and especially the DS and PSP, where games are considerably cheaper to make, we have seen the likes of Noby Noby Boy and Flower for example.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@EVO:  Great point. I hadn't even considered the merits of smaller budget titles, despite owning a lot of them. Many of these games go a long way to highlight the fundamental improvement that technology and innovation have wrought. In fact, this format is probably more indicative of the point I attempted to make; its reflected in the bigger budget titles, but it needs to catch on.

Though, I can kind of see from the publisher's point of view. On wide release games, especially those with a reasonable budget, the companies want guaranteed sales, and therein lies the problem. This is why things like 'pre-sales' have become so ingrained in the games industry.
    kingkorn69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By kingkorn69
    @JazGalaxy said:
    " I don't undestand the romantic context people place the modern games industry in that suggests that developers are somehow brave, intrepid explorers pushing forth the "boundries" of gaming.  That's just BS.  Gaming doesn't "evolve", it's trendy.  Heavy Rain doesn't do anything but what nearly EVERY GAME in the early ninties PC scene did... except with a lot more money behind it. Arguably it does it worse.  All of these so called "boundries" that games are confined by, they imposed themselves by following blindly behind a trend. Adventure games became fighting games. Fighting games became FPS games. Now FPS games are becoming "cinematic action games". And then they will become something else.  If gaming is really going to grow, then it needs to start making games of all types at all times instead of following the "buying a game is a vote for 10 more of the same game next year" model that gets us in a rut to begin with. "
    I agree with everything that is being said with this dude here! I couldn't have said it better myself! Well done JazGalaxy!!!
    EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By EVO
    @GetEveryone said:
    " I can kind of see from the publisher's point of view. On wide release games, especially those with a reasonable budget, the companies want guaranteed sales, and therein lies the problem.  "
    The same could be said of film and music. And like those mediums, we often have to dig deeper than the mainstream to find the gold.
    JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By JazGalaxy
    @GetEveryone said:
    " @dankempster:@JazGalaxy:  Both your comments tie into each other, so I'll try and address them at theame time. When it comes to expense the gravity of a games success must weigh heavily on any publisher, and in turn, pressure the developers. Granted there are only a few games a year that push boundaries generally, my point was that in the last 6 moths, in various way, games have begun to break from their molds. This idea of trends in games is, hopefully (given what we're seeing) dissipating. Yearly sports titles have started to take hiatus (NHL being a prime example) and I'd argue that while Heavy Rain is derivative of 90's adventure titles, it more successfully grapples our emotions. It works on a very human level and the result is something which feels far less gamey. There's a long way to go (and dankempster's point about risk taking is particularly important), but its a relatively young medium. Hardware innovations like Wii and Natal will hopefully spur more creative gameplay advances while developers continue to advance what we've become relatively used to in storytelling.  You're calling "cinematic adventure games" a fad, but given their relatively close release, it seems more like a natural development. Music games are enjoying a huge surge (for better or worse) and fighting games, too, have been reinvigorated, so I don't entirely agree with your "trends" argument, but I can see where you're coming from.  Edit: At the very least, this has spurred a bit of decent discussion. "
    But the problem, I feel, is that gamers now don't know what games used to do, and so are talking about new games "pushing boundries" without really knowing what they're talking about. I'm not accusing you of this, but freqently I'll read people posting about something like, for instance, nudity in gaming as though it's the sign of maturity, and that once games have nudity we will have "arrived". All this is completely ignoring the fact that LOTS of PC games had nudity in the early nineties. It wasn't even an issue. Probably the first time I saw breasts was in Electronic Arts "Noctropolis" in which one of the characters, in full motion video, removed her top. 

By removing the staples of the genre and moving toward a more generic center, games aren't pushing boundries, they're succumbing to conformity.  

For example, by taking most of the RPG trappings OUT of Mass Effect 2, they're not making a better RPG, they're just making a watered down RPG that plays more like a movie. yay? 

I think the truly sad part in all this, is that the fun in games is very difficult to explain. It's not apparent to look at. Trying to explain to a kid who's been gaming for 5 years about how active your imagination was while playing King Quest 1 (because the keyboard interface meant that literally ANYTHING was concievably possible for your character to do.. not just what actions could be mapped onto some buttons) or trying to explain how much fun the strategy involved in a Final Fantasy IV battle was is almost impossible. Therefore, they have no idea what gaming used to be and what they're MISSING now. They just think that the goal is making games like movies, and once we've done that we'll have won. 

I'm sad the concept of "video games" is on a slow slide to death and it may not ever return.
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By TwoOneFive

i thought the way gow3 implemented portal style puzzles and echochrome style puzzles into the game was pretty awesome. i cant see how that was in any way compltely like the first.  
    and besides, you can say its just like the last two, but at the same time no puzzle was the same, and no boss fight was the same and the graphics and audio were amazingly improved.  

the only thing uncharted 2 did to improve the medium was the fantastic and clever story telling techniques. gameplay wise, its pretty much standard fair with lots of awesome graphics and effects to wow you while you do really basic been there done that stuff.  
    at least gow3 offers some really neat and sometimes challenging puzzles and lots of diversity in how you choose to brutalize enemies, not just shooting them with a gun. 

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By EVO
    @JazGalaxy said:

" by taking most of the RPG trappings OUT of Mass Effect 2, they're not making a better RPG, they're just making a watered down RPG that plays more like a movie. yay? "

Hate it or love it, games are becoming more like movies.  Personally, I love it and and think it's only natural that games progress this way. However, there are many such as yourself that are seemingly opposed to this evolution, yet are also opposed to the idea that games take cues from past games in order to evolve.

Sure, Heavy Rain has more or less been done years ago. But never like that. I'm sure many would agree with me in saying no game has ever had me emotionally attached like that. What I'm getting at is while these games aren't necessarily pushing boundaries on the gameplay front, they are pushing in other directions, in particular towards becoming more cinematic.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.